• Published 22nd Aug 2013
  • 287 Views, 4 Comments

Bass Harmony - ZaneTheBudgieMaster



A biography about the life of Bass Harmony

  • ...
 4
 287

The Miracle of Foalbirth

Bass Harmony was born during the Great Equestrian Depression. Jobs were rare, and many ponies became broke and, subsequently, homeless. Bass Harmony's mother and father were a unicorn and a pegasus respectively [1]. His mother, Nurse Redheart, a doctor (Strange, considering her name, but, the records proved it) at the Ponyville Hospital, was around 30 years of age when she met Bass Harmony’s father, a homeless pony named Silver Wrench. Nurse Redheart was born in Ponyville, and received her medical degree at the Ponyville University, so it can be assumed that she had lived there her entire life [2]. She resided in a small cottage near the center of town [3]. Her coat was white, her mane was pink, and her cutie mark was a red cross [4].

In comparison, the only record found for Silver Wrench was a criminal record for theft in Fillydelphia [5]. He had a yellow coat, light blue mane, and his cutie mark was a wrench [6]. It is not known if he had become homeless before the depression, or because of it.

They both met in a bar in Ponyville, called The Broken Record [7]. After a night of drinking, they took a liking to one-another, and engaged in a night of sexual intercourse. Silver Wrench left Nurse Redheart in the morning before she woke up. A week later, Nurse Redheart discovered that her one-night stand had gotten her pregnant. Perhaps because Nurse Redheart’s father had died while she was still a filly [8], she decided to try to make contact with Silver Wrench, so her foal would be able to grow up with a father. After her many tireless weeks of searching proved fruitless, she gave up.

Three months later, while Nurse Redheart was working in the emergency ward, Silver Wrench was rushed in with a concussion and a few cuts from a bar fight [9]. After she bandaged him up, she informed him about the pregnancy. Silver Wrench was taken aback. He had never been very committed to anything in his life, and assumed he wasn't ready for a foal, so his first reaction was to suggest she get an abortion. In a small town such as Ponyville, abortions were very much frowned upon. Nurse Redheart wasn’t ready to damage her nigh flawless reputation [10] and refused. In addition, she wouldn’t let Silver Wrench leave Ponyville, and made him promise to help raise the child. Silver Wrench reluctantly agreed. Nurse Redheart let Silver Wrench stay at her house, and the two were together for the following 6 months [11].

On the day of Bass Harmony’s birth, something went terribly wrong. The medical equipment was old, funding for the hospital was low, and Nurse Redheart was probably the most competent member of the staff. On top of that, a flu pandemic was breaking out [12]. Bass Harmony was delivered fine, but Nurse Redheart died during childbirth, most likely due to an infection [13]. In addition, she never wrote a will, and, since Nurse Redheart and Silver Wrench were never officially married, her house was taken by the government, as is usual in Equestrian Law [14]. Bass Harmony was born a Male Earth Pony, with an olive green coat, brown mane and tail, amber eyes, and weighed 14lbs [15]. His name promised him a career in music, just as Silver Wrench’s implied he was to be an engineer.

[1] According to birth records and Bass Harmony’s interview, for the mother and father respectively
[2] According to birth records and graduation records from Ponyville University
[3] According to old Ponyville House Records
[4] According to old photos from the Ponyville University as well as what Bass Harmony was told by Silver Wrench.
[5] According to criminal records from the Fillydelphia Police Station
[6] According to Bass Harmony’s interview
[7] According to Bass Harmony’s interview
[8] According to old obituaries from the Ponyville Times
[9] According to admission files from the Ponyville Hospital
[10] Suggested by the fact that she graduated at the top of her class in Medical School
[11] According to Bass Harmony’s interview, which he claimed to have been told by Silver Wrench.
[12] According to an old edition of the Ponyville Times.
[13] According to an obituary from an old edition of the Ponyville Times, and from Bass Harmony’s interview
[14] According to old house records, with the address provided by my interview with Bass Harmony
[15] According to medical records from the Ponyville Hospital.

Author's Note:

This chapter is mostly speculation from both me and Bass Harmony. It was exceptionally hard to find many details for this chapter, and the amount of details will increase as we get closer to the present. Also, for clarity, instead of using a citation every time I cite my source of information that was taken from Bass Harmony’s interview, I will indicate it using an asterisk from the following chapter on wards.