• Published 26th Nov 2013
  • 1,386 Views, 63 Comments

Letters - joe mother



Pinkie recieves letters in the mail. Letters containing things deep and terrifying.

  • ...
2
 63
 1,386

1: Come to Visit

LETTERS - CHAPTER ONE: COME TO VISIT


"The mail's here, Pinkie!" Mrs. Cake cried from the kitchen, where she was working on a special cake deemed 'unsafe for Pinkie's hooves.'

"I'll get it!" Pinkie Pie replied, flying from her room upstairs to the main floor.

She stepped outside and blinked as light swarmed her senses. After combatting the rays, she hopped over to the mailbox, where she yanked it open and peered inside.

"We got a lot of mail this week!" she chirped, grabbing it and placing it in her teeth. "I wonder if Rainbow Dash finally wrote back from the Wonderbolt tour, or if Twilight sent a scroll from Saddle Arabia, or Fluttershy from that place with all the animals, or Rarity from Marelan, or Applejack from Appleloosa! It'll be so fun to-"

She smacked face first into the door, forgetting that it needed to be opened. She giggled madly and dropped the letters.

"Oh, I ran into the door!" she exclaimed in hysteria; inside, Mrs. Cake heard the commotion and rolled her eyes. "It's not like I'm a unicorn who can magically open it! Or am I?"

She felt around her mane for a second, trying to see if any magic-creating protuberance had appeared. It hadn't.

"Oh, then never mind."

She scooped up the letters, opened the door, and walked back inside. She dropped the mail onto the table and started sifting through it, looking for anything with a familiar name.

"Mr. Cake, Mrs. Cake, Mr. and Mrs. Cake," she said, placing each of the letters in a neat pile. "Mrs. Cake, Mrs. Cake, Mr. Cake... ah-ha!"

She snatched a letter addressed to herself. She giggled and ran upstairs to her room, where she opened it and pulled it out. She stared for a second at the curvy writing, and she pursed her lips.

"This doesn't look any of my friend's writing," she said. She started reading.

Dear Pinkie Pie,

Come and visit us. We've been getting lonely without you. It burns us up.

Love, your loving family.

"My- my family?" she whispered, a small tear forming in her eye, bringing back bad memories that she would rather forget.

"Pinkie!" Mrs. Cake called from downstairs.

The pink pony put the letter down and rushed downstairs, where Mrs. Cake was standing, icing covering her body and apron, and a look of joy on her face.

"We've just finished the cake, and we're going to take it to where it needs to go!" the mare said with a grin. "I need you to stay safe and look after Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake while we're gone."

Pinkie smiled.

"Good luck at the competition!" she said happily. "And, I got a strange letter today."

"We can deal with it when we get back, Pinkie," Mr. Cake said, emerging from the kitchen, cake in a wagon. "Don't do anything you're not supposed to! We left a list on the table saying what you can and cannot do. And since I can never seem to stress this one enough: NO PARTIES!"

"Oh," Pinkie said, sighing. "Well, I hope you do well and have fun!"

"Bye, Pinkie!" Mrs. Cake said with a hug. "Be safe!"

The couple left, leaving Pinkie to stand in the room. She took a quick look at the paper of 'things she could not do' and silently saluted it.

Hopping back up to her room, she grabbed the letter once more and stared at it, trying to distinguish anything from it other than the obvious 'visit us.'

"How could they send me a letter?" she said, flipping it over and trying to see if there was any other writing. "After what happened, they should never send a letter."

She clutched her head and sobbed.

"They can't send me letters!" she cried, her voice cracking. "They can't!"

There was a clang from downstairs, and Pinkie gasped.

"Pumpkin and Pound Cake!" she said, jumping up in a blur.

She raced down the stairs and found that Pumpkin Cake had knocked a pan from the oven to the floor, where she proceed to bite on it and laugh.

"No, no," Pinkie said, slowly removing the object from the foal with a light smile. "Don't do that, Pumpkin."

The baby stared at her with big, watery eyes, and Pinkie braced herself for the crying. There was a small giggle. She sighed in relief as Pumpkin Cake quickly forgot about the pan and stared moving around across the floor, sputtering nonsense and laughing constantly.

Pinkie heard a knock at the door, and she left the foal for a second and opened it. All that was there was a single envelope, made of a yellowing parchment and looking very brittle. It was sealed with a small dot of wax, which looked as hard as a rock.

Pinkie carefully picked up the envelope and gasped as dust sprayed into the air. She coughed and dropped the letter. After recovering from the dusty attack, she carefully flipped the letter over, revealing her name to be ornately written on the front.

"Another letter?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "Hm..."

She picked it up and carried it inside, where she set it on the table. She looked into the kitchen and saw Pound Cake gnawing the handle for one of the drawers. She went over and lightly pushed him away.

"Now, Pound Cake," she said, trying to be as motherly as possible. "Don't teeth on things you're not supposed to."

The foal began to tear up, and Pinkie ran back to the list of things 'she was not supposed to do' and checked over it, trying to see what things she could not do to cheer up the babies.

"Okay, so no using anything from the kitchen," she read. "Or anywhere in the house except from their bedroom."

Pinkie sighed.

"I just used flour that one time!" she cried.

The party pony hopped into the foal's bedroom and grabbed a rubber chicken. She took it out to the kitchen, where Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake were now sitting across from each other, laughing, and placed it between them.

They stared at the object for a moment, then lunged at it. They began to tug and gnaw at it, leaving Pinkie to watch with a smile. She turned and saw that the letter was still unopened on the table. She went to it and looked at the wax seal.

"I wonder who sent it?" she said as she pried at the hard wax with a hoof, trying to ply it away from the parchment. However, it remained stuck, not budging an inch. "Stupid. Wax."

She grabbed it in her teeth and pulled, trying to yank it off. She felt her jaw slip, and she flew back from the paper onto the floor.

Suddenly, there was a hiss, the sound of a burning fuse. Pinkie clambered up and watched in awe as the wax caught fire and burned away, leaving no trace on the envelope.

"Whoa," she said, eyes wide. "I guess I was wrong this morning! I really must be a secret unicorn!"

She ran her hooves through her hair, trying to find some kind of horn again.

"Oh," she said dejected as she found nothing. "I was wrong again. But what did do that?"

She looked at the paper, and she pulled out the letter inside. She unfolded it and saw that it was in the same handwriting as the letter she had received this morning.

Dear Pinkie Pie,

Please come and visit. We need to see you once more. It hurts to know that we haven't seen you in so long. Please visit.

Love, your family.

Pinkie screamed.

"NO!" she yelled. "THEY SHOULDN'T BE SENDING LETTERS! IT'S NOT RIGHT!"

A tear rolled down her cheek, and she ripped the letter in half, trying to calm her nerves. Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake were staring at her, drooling.

Pinkie sniffled and set the halves down, taking shuddering breaths. Her eyes were beginning to feel dry as she fell to the ground.

"How can they send me letters?" she asked, wishing for an answer from the air around her.

The two foals returned to their playing, giggling madly while Pinkie sobbed.