• Published 18th Aug 2013
  • 535 Views, 19 Comments

Warped Paths - Morikain



Two adventurers find themselves in a new world when a portal is disrupted as they step through.

  • ...
1
 19
 535

At the Gala!

Returning to my body at the edge of the Everfree, I can't help but sigh. Today was the day of the Gala and the preparations had been nothing short of a nightmare, especially with how obsessive Rarity had been over what I would be wearing to the event. I had adjusted to having to be fitted and measured a long time ago after meeting the guild, but the process that mare went through to get everything right was frustrating. It took nearly an hour just for her to decide on the colors, then another two for a design. Thankfully she was quick at her work and was able to complete the outfit in under half an hour and I was able to return to the Everfree where I am now. Opening my eyes, I yawn slightly before getting to my feet.

Taking a second to roll my shoulders, I decide to take a different route than my normal one since I got here and in a flurry of leaves I take the form of a tiger before breaking into a fast lope back towards the town. Slowing to a walk as I near the edge of Ponyville, I notice several of the Elements rushing around and stop the first one I get close to which happens to be Applejack. "What is going on with all of you? You look like there is some major emergency going on."

Sliding to a stop, Applejack let out a sigh of relief. "It's about time ya got here, we thought ya were gonna miss the train to Canterlot. Rarity's been havin' a fit at the thought of ya not wearin the outfit she made for ya since it's the first she's ever made."

I blink a couple times before face pawing. "Have you all forgotten that not only can I make it there faster in my Pegasus form, but I also have a mount that can get me there in the same amount of time? Instead of worrying about me, you should be worrying about yourselves... and where is Lutano?"

Applejack chuckled at the mention of my friend and guild mate. "He's been grumblin' at the station ever since we all gathered thinkin' that ya were gonna bail out since ya don't like cities. We all actually thought ya were gonna try to avoid it since ya mentioned the risk of losin' yer mind if ya stayed too long."

Eye twitching, I head for the train station with Applejack beside me. "Why is it that everyone thinks I will try to get out of something once I have agreed to go? Yes, there is a chance that I can go berserk if I stay in a city too long but as long as I keep some of my focus on my mana I should be able to tell well before hand when I need to get out and find a strong source of nature. I just don't know how long I have between feeling my mana fluctuate and when it corrupts me."

Applejack chuckles at my annoyance before gaining a thoughtful look. "If ya can feel when yer magic might cause a problem, why don't ya just head out to the gardens before it becomes a problem? There should be more than enough plants there for ya to relax with."

I shake my head and look ahead to the train station as we round a corner. "The garden isn't naturally made so it won't work, by being tended by ponies it reduces the flow of mana in the area and my magic doesn't recognize it as a source of nature so it won't do anything to settle it. The only thing the gardens will do is relax me physically while in Canterlot so that I can maintain a better grasp on my mana so that it is less likely to lash out."

Applejack nods slightly and as we near the station, I spot Lutano with his arms crossed and in his armor that he wore when we went into raids. Chuckling, I slip off to the side since Applejack and I had yet to be spotted and gesture for Applejack to continue as if I wasn't there. Slipping into the shadows of the building, I sneak my way behind Lutano and prepare to surprise him.

Before I could pounce though, he lifts his nose and after a couple of sniffs turns to face me with a smirk. "Nice try but the breeze wasn't working with you today."

Stepping into view, I smile slightly. "Or you are just getting more used to my attempts and are actually paying more attention to your surroundings. When I first started my ambushes you never knew I was coming until I was knocking you over."

Lutano shrugs slightly. "I'm the tank of our group, I'm meant to take hits and usually whatever hits me ends up healing me after I hit it with a couple of diseases. With that ability I really don't have to worry about getting hit first since I just recover almost instantly."

I chuckle slightly. "You forgot to mention having a druid behind you that can throw out heals quickly as well. Part of the reason we team up so much is the fact that we do so well together." Lutano nods but before we can continue the conversation there is a loud whistle that makes me cover my ears as the train pulls into the station. Growling slightly at the train, I turn to the others. "Lead the way, I've never been on one of these so I have no idea on what we are doing."

Taking the lead, Twilight led us onto the train and a few cars back from where we boarded before taking a seat and I jump onto the one across from her. "So how exactly is this Gala done? I'd like to learn a little about it before being dumped into the middle of something I am unprepared for."

Twilight puts a hoof to her chin in thought for a second before replying. "Well I haven't actually read up on what it is but it's basically a royal ball held in Canterlot by the princesses."

I sigh slightly and shake my head before shifting to my true form. "This is just like the raids back home, going into something with absolutely no idea how to get through it without injury." Reaching into a pouch at my side, I pull out the tunic and pants that Rarity had made for me. "Is there somewhere on the train I can change?"

Pointing to the back of the train car, Rarity speaks with a smile. "There is a small changing room at the back of each car for ponies to change in during long trips, you should be able to use that."

Nodding to her, I head to the back of the car and after closing the door to the small room I quickly change into my outfit for the Gala. It was similar to my original armor as it still had the cloak like tail for the tunic but it was a forest green with vine designs trimming the cloth. On the left side of the chest was a tree in the center of an oak leaf and a ring of thorns around the leaf. Stepping out of the room a couple of minutes later, I look myself over and nod slightly. Walking back to my seat, I bow slightly to Rarity. "I have to admit that I was a little skeptical that this would turn out well, but I may just keep this for future use when I return to Norrath."

Rarity smiles and begins digging through a bag that she had brought with her. "Well if you like that one, I came up with several different designs for your formal wear that you may like as well."

Shaking my head, I hold a hand up to stop her. "That's alright, I don't go to formal events nearly enough to warrant more than a single set of clothing for them." Sitting by the window, I look to the mountain Canterlot is on and frown slightly. Normally I wouldn't worry about it as I was only going to be spending a few hours in the city before returning to Ponyville, but the feeling I had gotten before wasn't helping. Something was going to happen at the Gala and I could only hope that it wasn't going to be too large of a problem.

After a little over an hour of travel time, we finally pull in to the Canterlot train station and get off the train. Without hesitating, Twilight headed straight for the castle with her friends close behind and Lutano and I taking up the back of the line. As we walk, I put a hand on Lutano's shoulder and a dark green glow surrounds it before spreading to encompass his entire body. After three more spells, I release my grip and Lutano finally looks to me. "What are the buffs for? We shouldn't run into anything that would warrant the extra protection."

I shake my head slightly. "Something just seems off, it feels like what I get when we are about to run a raid. I don't think there will be too much trouble considering how peaceful this world is but I would rather be safe than have to revive you."

Lutano nods slightly and rests a hand on the hilt of his sword at his side. "If you are getting that feeling I guess we can expect a decent fight at least. I've been itching to fight ever since the timberwolves, since you took out most of them and my Harm Touch took out the last one."

I chuckle slightly but remain silent and after nearly a half hour of walking we make it to the gates of the castle. When I went to follow the mares through the gate though, the guards blocked both Lutano and I. Arching an eyebrow I look at the guard to my right and notice he was also the guard that was here the first time we came through. "Are we really going to go through this again? We have already proven we can't be stopped by you and we were invited by the Princesses themselves."

The guard snorted as his eyes narrowed. "You caught us unprepared last time and I refuse to let a threat to the princesses through. I don't know what you or your friend are but I know you don't belong here with other ponies."

Sighing to myself, I flick my wrist and vines shoot up from the ground and wrap the guard up until it looked like he was in a cocoon. Turning to the other one, I raise a glowing hand. "Do I need to do the same to you or will you allow us through without any more trouble?"

The guard quickly shakes his head. "I don't want to get into an unnecessary fight, go right on ahead and go through. If the princesses really did invite you both than I don't want the trouble it will get me in to."

Nodding slightly, I catch up with Twilight quickly and let the magic fade from my hand. I could see Twilight wanted to say something about what I did to the guard but I cut her off with a shake of my head. "Some of the guards more than likely have a grudge against Lutano and I and will be trying to expel us from the castle grounds." Getting a nod in response, we make our way into the castle and towards the throne room. As we neared the massive doors, there was a large increase in the number ponies standing around and I noticed many were glaring at Lutano and I.

Mentally growling, I consider shifting into my tiger form to scare them but after a few seconds I decide against it since it would only cause problems in the future. Thankfully I didn't have to tolerate it for long since we reached the throne room and passed through the doors in only a couple of minutes to be greeted by Princess Luna.

Bowing her head slightly, Luna smiled at us before turning and gesturing to the room. "We are glad to see you have all made it."

Author's Note:

Apologies for the delay and as always I am looking for ways to improve so if anyone spots something I can improve on, please feel free to tell me. I know a lot of writers don't like seeing their stories critiqued but I enjoy it.... so long as you aren't rude about it. Annnnd, I know I said this would be 5k words but I have decided to break it up into two because I am stuck.... again..... Just when I think I am on a roll and going to get something accomplished, I get writers block or something comes up to distract me and I forget what I am going to write and have to re-plan the chapter. I won't be saying anything on the time line of the next chapter because luck hates me and Murphy's Law loves me but it shouldn't take as long as this one.