• Published 20th Aug 2013
  • 1,075 Views, 17 Comments

A Love Divided - Wren_Fest



When Rarity goes crazy after losing her sister and her parents, Applejack is left to salvage their relationship. Is there any hope?

  • ...
13
 17
 1,075

Chapter 2: Through The Pain

I awoke in a strange room. The walls were white, the flooring, white. Even the bed, white, but the smell of bleach overpowered the calming, but still disturbing purity of the color scheme as though it was trying to hide something… I just couldn’t figure out what it was trying to mask. I felt a hunger in the pit of my stomach, the gurgling sound rumbling over the sound of the voices in my head. I tried to hold back tears as I remembered my little sister, and how she used to cook me breakfast in bed. It should have been me… IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME! I DON’T WANT HER TO BE GONE! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!

I grasped my head in my hands as the painful memories came flooding back. Images of flames dancing in their evil glow, piercing screams as they took hold of those I loved. I saw Sweetie Belle reaching out to me as I gave up and ran away. I tried my best, I really did but… it was too much… the stress, the pain… I still had the scars to show it, but when it became too much… I ran, I ran away...

Element of Generosity? I think not…
______________________________________________________________________________

I slowly gathered myself from the tears that flowed like a river. My head hurt with a sudden pounding feeling as I sat up, picking my head off the pillow.

I stood, and peeked out the tiny window, seeing the rolling green grasses, blue but cloaked sky, and white fluffy clouds. The sun seemed to wink at me with shining eyes. The light beaming off of it was bright enough to reach my room, but it barely touched a foot of space past the shadowed windowsill.

As I looked out the window, I saw the people from the shops, smiling and laughing in the sunshine. They seemed cheerful, though I felt a pain that no one could describe unless they felt it too. I would have traded my life for Sweetie’s if I could, though she would be in my place. If I could, I would have wished and prayed for someone else to have their sister burn down their home in a blazing inferno, killing THEIR family not mine.

I pushed these dark thoughts from my mind, not wanting to believe that they came from me. I composed myself and shakily made my way to the bathroom. I turned on the water and stared at the monster in the mirror. As the steam rose the image became hazy, distorting and shifting till I wasn’t staring at my reflection anymore. What I saw was a monster, a tired, stressed, worn out has been that couldn’t save those she cared for the most. Some time passed before I finally snapped out of my trance. I quietly took the running water and splashed my face, letting the warm sensation bring a small flush to my face. I stayed standing like that for a couple of minutes until I heard a nervous cough from behind me.

I turned and saw Applejack staring at me from the entrance to my room.

“Uh… hi Rares. Am ah interrupting anything?”

“No no dear, I was actually just about to head out.”

Applejack gave me a sympathetic look before nodding and stepping out of the way.

“Ok then, Ah just came by to clean your room.”

I gave Applejack a small nod and exited my room. I walked down the empty hallway, looking at the paintings of random things on the walls. Various scenes like a beach at sunset the sky now blazing with fiery colors, a mother cradling her child their faces full of glee, free from any pain and separation, along with relaxing objects like lit candles, their small flames seeming to flicker as I passed by them adorned the hall, obviously meant to soothe and calm the patients, they only served to bring back the awful memories.

I continued to walk, looking down at the floor and avoiding the burning reminders of that tragic day as I made my way to the cafeteria. I could already smell the sausage, and my stomach growled at the thought of eating; I realized that I hadn’t eaten but a few bites every meal.

I found myself a seat at a table, alone and away from the other patients. I looked around myself, fearful of the many disfigured and frightening people that surrounded me. I looked to where they served the food. My stomach growled again, seeing the eggs, bacon, and the sausage I smelled before. I stood again, grabbing a tray on the way to the line, which was rather short compared to how many people I had assumed would be there.

After wolfing down my breakfast, a most unlady-like display might I add, I got up and placed my tray in the disposal area. As I was leaving a rather dashing man stopped me.

“Excuse me miss… Rarity?” He asked, his eyebrow raised quizzically.

“Yes, that’s me.” I replied, uneasy of what to say.

“Doctor Devotion is waiting for you.”

“Doctor… Devotion?” I asked, blinking my confusion.

“Yes ma’am.” He sounds rather handsome. I thought.

“Ok then, lead me to him.” I reply.

After a trip down the winding halls, I arrive at a large door labeled Dr. Devotion. I nervously step in.

“Well hello Miss Rarity!” A cheerful voice greets me. I take a good look at the man. He had a nice tan, his skin showing the time he spent outside, his eyes are a warm brown, kind and inviting, his body was toned, but not overdone. His voice was happy and inviting. I felt my nerves slowly ebb away.

“H-Hello, may I ask why I’m needed? I really don’t want to talk about anything.” I said, taking in the sight before me.

“But I’m afraid that you do...” He began, the cheer leaving his voice.

“What ever do you mean?” I ask, tension lacing my words.

“I’ve kept an eye on you, ever since you first checked in. While I commend your ability to hide your emotions, you can’t fool a professional.”

“Oh…” I said, looking down. I heard a shifting sound then felt a gentle hand lift my head up. I looked up and saw his deep brown eyes staring at me.

“It’s ok… everyone deals with issues, I’m here to help make sure you resolve yours,” He said, his voice calm and gentle. I couldn’t help but blush a little at his kindness, “so tell me. What’s wrong?”

I broke down, telling him everything. Starting with the fire, that damn fire. I told him about the heat, the lights, those dancing lights. I told him about the screams that kept me up, breaking my dreams and constantly reminding me of my failure as a sister. I told him about how it was all my fault, how I was sorry it happened, how I wanted Sweetie back.

I told him all the pent up rage that burned in me with a passion unlike any other, I told him how every little thing reminded me of Sweetie, I saw her in the halls, in rooms, by my bedside, in the doll room. Everything was Sweetie, everything was gone, burned up in a blazing inferno. I told him the visions that haunted my memories, I told him that sometimes I wanted to sleep and never wake up, and the whole time I poured my heart and soul into him, he just sat there, watching me intently, studying my every move, my every expression.

When I was done, he silently got up from his chair and gave me a tight hug. I couldn’t keep it in any longer, I let out all the tension, all the anger, the sorrow, the guilt, I let it all out, crying and blubbering, melting in his arms as I got the one thing I truly wanted since I first checked in. I finally had someone to listen to me. To take me in their arms and comfort me. Someone who I could count on for anything. I finally had my knight in shining armor.