• Published 13th Aug 2013
  • 773 Views, 7 Comments

Learning Is Magic - Lucky Penny



A story in which the fate of Equestria lies in the lessons and teachings of...Discord?

  • ...
0
 7
 773

Lesson 2- Coping

Twilight was awoken that morning by the bright rays of sunlight peaking from her window. She groaned grumpily as she pulled the covers over her head, hoping that she may fall back asleep. The past few nights Twilight had little sleep from the discomfort of her new set of wings, but this was not the only reason she was unable to sleep well.

"Twilight?" called out Spike, "It's past noon, is everything ok?"

Spike held out a tray of hot soup and a glass of water for Twilight who gave a tired yawn and had her head still tucked tightly under the blankets.

"I'm alright Spike, just a bit tired is all."

He set the tray down on the night stand beside the bed. He then lifted the covers Twilight was hiding under and said,

"Did you have those weird dreams again?"

Twilight suddenly looked embarrassed and upset, which only troubled Spike more. She realized she was thirsty after all and began drinking from the glass he had brought up for her.

"Is there anything you wanna tell me?" asked Spike.

Twilight returned the glass to him and this time she attempted to get out of bed. She staggered a bit at first but then finally was able to stand up properly and made her way over to the vanity mirror.

"Well," she began to say, "Yes, I had it again, but this time it was a bit different."

Twilight stared at her reflection in the mirror. She noticed how lean her face had become and the new found dark circles under her eyes. Her mane was matted and tangled in thick knots. She knew if Rarity were to ever see her in such a condition, she'd have a fit and scold her for not taking better care of her appearance. Twilight decided to try and forget the bad dream and started to brush the mess out of her mane.

"What happened?" asked Spike.

She was quiet for a moment as she thought about his question. She set her brush back down and turned to look directly at him.

"It's hard to explain honestly, but when I woke up I felt so terrified. I don't even recall what made me so frightened or much of the actual dream for that matter. The only thing I do seem to remember clear enough is that I was running from something."

Spike was now sitting quietly on the floor in front of Twilight. He waited for her to continue while she tried to gather her thoughts. Twilight closed her eyes as she attempted to focus and recapture more of what happened in her dream.

"In my dream, I saw this massive shadow consume Ponyville and then all of Equestria. I didn't know what it was or why it was there, but it was chasing after me. As I was trying to escape from it, I looked behind me and saw all my friends become surrounded by the darkness too. One-by-one, their bodies crumbled to dust as they eventually vanished into the shadows. I kept running still, but then the shadow began to transform as it reached out and tried to grab me in its giant claw, and that's when I woke up."

Spike saw how frightened she looked even after just talking about the nightmare. He had no idea how or what even to really say to help her to feel better.

"Aw Twilight, dreams can't really hurt you, even though they feel like they can. I'm sure that there's nothing for you to be worried about."

"No Spike, this wasn't like any dream I ever had before. I think it must be some kind of vision or warning, or-"

He interrupted her thoughts as he placed his small claw onto her shoulder.

"I believe you are thinking too much into this nightmare of yours. Look at yourself, you are getting so worked up on something that hasn't even happened. You have been so stressed out lately with this whole new princess thing, I bet that's why you are even having these bad dreams."

Twilight frowned but nodded her head in agreement. She had been very uncertain with her new position that it was becoming more difficult for her to handle and understand.

"Yes, maybe you are right about that Spike."

"Of course I am, when am I not always right?" he said boldly which made her give a light chuckle as she started feeling a little bit better.

"I can list them for you," she said teasing him back.

"Ok, ok. So I'm not always right about everything. But still, I know these bad dreams of yours are coming from post princess jitters."

"I suppose it must be," she said with a weary sigh, "It's just that dream, it felt so...I don't even know how to even describe it."

Spike walked past Twilight over to the window sill behind her. He pulled aside the curtain and opened the window for a cool breeze to sweep through the room. He had hoped he may be able to encourage Twilight to finally go outside and see her friends. Spike was unsure why she was so upset over this new princess position. He remembered how happy she was on the day of her Coronation. But then the following days later, Spike noticed how Twilight was beginning to become more reclusive and weary of visitors, including her own friends.

"C'mon now, some good old fresh air will help you to clear your mind," Spike had suggested, but she just shook her head.

"Why not?" he asked.

"It's just...since I'm a princess now, everything has been so odd. Everypony has been treating me differently, like I'm now so special or important."

"But you are special and important," said Spike.

"That's not what I want though. Whenever I'm seen by somepony in town, they start treating me like I am royalty. It's always, 'can I get you anything princess', 'try this princess, on the house I insist', or 'good day to you princess', it's all driving me crazy!"

Spike scratched his head puzzled by Twilight's frustrations. He didn't quite understand why any pony wouldn't be happy with receiving gifts or being treated like royalty. He imagined himself for a moment being bowed to by every pony he walked past and with servants he could command to give him whatever he wanted with just with one single word.

"I just don't want to be seen differently by everypony now," said Twilight sadly, "That's why I even grew to love Ponyville so much. Everypony here is treated and respected equally by each other. Unlike back in Canterlot, nopony here is viewed as more or less important than somepony else. But now that I've been declared a princess..." she was silent and frowned unhappily as she kicked her hoof at some dust that was settled on the floor.

"You should go and see your friends, it's been awhile since you really have spoken to them. Maybe they can help?"

"They- I mean...I'm just so afraid that if I were to see them they would start to act differently around me too, or worse be unnecessarily jealous and upset, and then they wouldn't want to be my friends anymore."

Spike shook his head disappointedly at her for the mere suggestion of her friends behaving in such a way.

"Seriously Twilight, you should know better than that! These are your friends, they love you for who you are and that's never going to change."

"But Spike-" Twilight started to say when she heard a knock at the door. "Who could that be?" she inquired.

Spike gave her a funny smile as he walked over to the front door so that he could open it for their visitor.

"Look don't get upset now, but thought I'd invite a friend of yours to come by and talk some sense into you. You haven't been going outside and the place has gone to the dogs quite honestly. I figured if there was anypony around who could understand what you were going through and feeling right now, it would be her." He opened the door to reveal none other than Princess Cadence who was standing there patiently. Twilight was indeed surprised by Cadence's presence, and although she was certainly happy to see to her new sister-in-law, she would have preferred of Spike to have informed her of Cadence's visit.

"Twilight, it's so good to see you," Cadence said with a bright smile.

Twilight stood still baffled and confused by her arrival. She then realized that the place was a mess and she hadn't prepared anything to eat for her guest.

"Princess Cadence! It's great to see you too. I'm so sorry I didn't prepare a lunch for you, or- oh dear, I haven't even swept the room, it's all such a mess. And I am not even ready-"

"That's quite alright, besides we won't be here for long."

"Oh?" said Twilight perplexed, "But I don't understand, what are you doing here, and where are we going?"

"I can't visit my new little sister? I thought we would maybe go find a quiet spot somewhere in the park where we can catch up and talk privately. Your friend Spike also had sent a letter informing me that you have been troubled lately. Is everything alright?"

Twilight became suddenly bashful. Although she appreciated her concern, Twilight didn't want to feel a burden to her friends, especially to Cadence who had an entire empire to run and look after.

"Troubles? I don't have any troubles, nope not me!"

"Twilight, honestly, I have foal-sat for you for many years! I can tell quite easily when you are lying," said Cadence with a witty smile. "You can tell me anything, that's why I am here." She stretched out her left wing and pulled Twilight closer to her side: "When we get to the park together you can tell me what's on your mind."

Twilight remained reluctant to go out, as she began thinking of all sorts of excuses and stories of why she couldn't go. But Cadence was determined and so began pushing her gently towards the door. Spike opened it for them while Twilight continued to stubbornly drag her hoofs with Cadence trying to steer her outside the door.

"But-but, I have a letter to write to Princess Celestia! And what about the Crystal Empire? Surely your presence is needed there more than you having to be here to listen to my silly problems! You have responsibilities Cadence, I don't want to be a bother."

"Everything is already taken care of. I have your brother, Shinning Armor, watching and managing things while I'm gone. Princess Celestia I'm sure will understand your letter arriving a bit late. We will only be gone for an hour at most, you have nothing to worry about."

"But I have so much to do! I have to sweep the floors and dust, and the curtains-"

Before Twilight realized, Cadence had already lead her outside. She stood in the sudden shimmering sunlight which caused her to squint during the first few minutes until her vision had finally adjusted. Spike watched from the front porch and waved goodbye as she and Cadence galloped into the distance together. He smiled optimistically before returning back inside to start sprucing up the place for their return.

The day couldn't have been more perfect for a visit to the park. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sun shined brightly with a lovely breeze. Birds were singing in the trees as everypony was enjoying the fine weather. Cadence and Twilight found a quiet reclusive spot under a large tree which sat on top of a hill. There, Twilight began re-telling to Cadence her doubts of being a princess, her friends, and of the strange frightful dreams she was having. Cadence hadn't spoken a word as she listened intently to Twilight's concerns. Only once she had finished speaking, Cadence replied-

"I can understand why you have been feeling so stressed. You've been given a great amount of responsibilities and duties that haven't even yet been explained to you. It's all so new and you aren't sure where to even begin."

"Exactly! I haven't been told what I should or need to do now, it's all so new to me and I'm just having a hard time coping. Everything is just happening so fast for me Cadence I don't know what to expect. I am just so afraid that I'll make mistakes and disappoint everypony."

Twilight stretched out onto the grass as she looked up at the leaves and noticed how if you squinted your eyes at them, she could make interesting faces and shapes with their shadows. She then closed her eyes and tried some breathing exercises that Cadence had once taught her to help calm the nerves.

"Twilight, you aren't expected to predict such things, nopony can truly foresee into the future. Life is always constantly changing, including our own future which is based on the choices we may make."

"Yes, but what if I fail?"

"Everypony makes mistakes, including princesses. Part of what makes a good princess or for that matter any sort of leader, is knowing how to accept your mistakes and being able to overcome them. If you focus too much on worrying how or when you will fail, chances are Twilight you will inevitably make even worse choices."

Twilight remained silent and thought for a moment about Cadence's advice. She wasn't too sure about everything Cadence had said, but one thing she did understand and agreed on was that she should not be distressing herself so much on things that haven't even occurred.

"I guess you are right about that Cadence."

"And as far as things go for your friends," continued Cadence, "You should realize by now that they love you for who you are. When I first became a princess I also thought like you that my friends would become envious or only want to be my friend so they could receive special favors. Although I did lose some close friends because of such reasons, it only made me appreciate and discover that real friends will no matter what, care and support you all the same whether you are a princess or not."

Twilight for the first time in the past several days, had at last felt relief and comfort. She sat back up and gave a warm smile to Cadence.

"Thank you for telling me that. You are right, I can't be so caught up with my fears, that's what I have friends for. I feel foolish now to have even imagined that my friends would ever abandon me."

Cadence smiled back and patted Twilight's head.

"I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better. Things will work themselves out, you will see. It was hard for me in the beginning too, so I do understand where you're coming from. We all have made mistakes at some point, but we learn how to handle them."

"So, you also had made some mistakes as a princess?" asked Twilight.

"Of course."

"What was the biggest mistake or choice you ever had to make? What did you do?"

Cadence suddenly felt uncomfortable and disconcerted. She tried thinking of words but now had become very sheepish.

"I- well...I suppose the hardest choice and mistake I ever made was having to leave behind my home for many years in order to escape from King Sombra." Cadence's face became saddened and deep in thought.

"But you had no choice," said Twilight, "You had to leave in order to save the Crystal Ponies."

"Yes, that is true, but I still could have done something to help..."

Cadence was silent which made Twilight confused and guilty for bring up painful memories.

"You see Twilight, King Sombra wasn't always filled with greed and darkness. His real name was Mora and he was my great grandfather. He was once a generous King who ruled for the time being in my place until I was old enough to rule. He took care, good care of me, and I loved him very dearly, but then something happened that changed him somehow. Mora began spending more of his time in the Crystal Mines under the city and no longer paid any attention to me. He had turned somehow cruel and was consumed by greed, as he began enslaving the Crystal Ponies to dig for more crystals in the mines. Once Celestia learned of King Mora's corruption, she took me away fearing he would one day turn and lock me away for good. The Crystal Empire was then sealed away after I left, and had vanished from the rest of Equestria.

"The reason this was for me, my greatest mistake, was that I should have warned Celestia much earlier of Mora's change in behavior, for maybe then he could have been saved in the end, and so could the Empire. But I was very young, and too afraid, and did not really understand what was happening to him until it was far too late. The point to my story Twilight is such things cannot be really predicted or even helped when they happen. As a princess, you will learn there will come a time for you to decide things and have to make difficult choices for the sake of your citizens. It was a hard decision for me to leave, but I wouldn't have otherwise been able to save the ponies at all later had I remained."

Twilight did not know what to say. She was amazed by Cadence's courage in having to make a decision like that at such a young age. She imagined how difficult of a choice that must have been for her to flee from somepony she once cared for.
Twilight understood now what she needed to do.

"You are right Cadence. I will try to have better faith in myself. And I'll never give up on my friends or subjects. I promise I will do my best."

Cadence smiled at her proudly. Most ponies could never handle the duties or burdens that being a princess entails, but she knew Twilight would soon be ready and become a great leader for Equestria someday.

When they returned to Twilight's home, she was pleasantly surprised to see that her friends were already waiting for her. Little did she know that while she and Cadence were away, Spike had already arranged a secret gathering for all of her friends. Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy were all eagerly awaiting for her return. Twilight greeted her friends happily and was beginning to feel like her old self once again. Spike had cleaned the entire library and made lunch for every pony. She thanked and hugged Spike for his kind gesture and he was happy to see that Twilight was going to be alright.

She was able to open up to her friends, and as Cadence anticipated, her friends hadn't changed their perceptions of her. Twilight stared and looked about the room as she watched her friends chatting excitedly. She felt proud to have such great friends and that no matter what may happen, she knew nothing could separate and come between their friendship- KERPOOF!

"HELLOOOO there Twilight!...No time long see!" Discord exclaimed jubilantly.

Twilight and the others became very startled and confused by Discord's sudden presence.

"Discord? What are you doing here?-" Twilight started to say

"No time to explain, we must be going my dear pupae!"

"Er, 'pupae'?" questioned Applejack.

"Pupae, pupil. Tomato, potato... You get the idea. Anyways, it's time we be off now. Onwards to Canterlot, "au revoir!"

He picked her up like a small stuffed toy and waved goodbye to everypony and without another word from either Discord or Twilight, they vanished from sight, while her friends all stood in silence, remaining openmouthed and very bewildered.