• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 702 Views, 18 Comments

Horror Stories - CosmicAfro



A long compilation of stories

  • ...
 18
 702

Horror Lunch Story

“Ok Spike, now put that gemstone in the holder and point the tip directly at the orb at exactly forty five degrees.”

Ponyville’s librarian was once again working on some strange science that nopony in town could try to comprehend. In the middle of the Library, which had been closed for the day, stood a new scientific experiment that was being assembled. The complex structure consisted of seven small gems, triangular pyramid in shape, of different colors all pointing at a lone transparent glass orb in the center of the circle. Each gem represented a color of the rainbow, based on the color of course, and had some specific purpose to the task at hoof. The objects themselves were arranged at different heights based on their relation to their position in said rainbow, red being near the floor and violet almost two feet above Twilight’s head. Chalk lines were composed across the floor, connecting each gem stand to its neighbor and having a line pointed towards the middle. There were some other symbols in chalk dotting the lines, but Spike couldn’t even begin to hope he’d ever understand what they meant.

“So, what exactly are we doing again?” the inquisitive dragon asked while carefully aiming the gem with a protractor. Satisfied that the angle was spot on, he turned his head towards Twilight.

“Spike, have you noticed how different unicorns have a different aura when casting magic?” she asked while checking on the preparations. “Well, I’m testing to see if that specific color has any direct influence on the magic we emit or the talents we aquire. By transmitting my magic through the orb, I’m hoping the refractions will hit a certain spectrum that will illuminate certain crystals. Each crystal has a specific number value, and-“

“Alright alright, I just wanted to know why, you can write a book about it later,” the assistant grumbled with his arms crossed.

“Right, sorry.” The studious mare levitated the last crystal into place, and delicately calibrated the angle to ensure success. Once she was sure that the rig was completely set up, she nodded to her assistant and backed away from the now-completed rig.

“Alright Spike, here we go.” Both of them equipped their standard safety goggles and walked behind a reinforced steel safety barrier, with a small window, and nodded to each other. Twilight began focusing her magic into the orb, which began to start turning a solid purple. Soon afterwards, the floor began to glow as the markings reacted with the magic. Just as Twilight had predicted, certain gems began glow.

A small cackle of energy began to shoot though the gems, traveling upward through the spiral of colored crystals.

“Twi, is that supposed to happen?” Spike asked nervously, as the energy began to speed up.

“I don’t think so. Did you put the gems in the right order like I asked?” she answered as calmly as possible.

“Yeah, I even remembered that abbreviation you taught me. R.y.o.g.b.i.v.”

The lavender unicorn shot a surpised glance at this assistant. “You mean r.o.y.g.b.i.v. with an ‘o’, right!?”

“Uh oh…”

The energy picked up the pace, and a small hum started emanating from the rig.

“Oh Celestia! I have to stop this!”
Foalheartedly, she ran out from behind the barriers protection. Spike attempted to grab one of her legs or possibly her tail, but failed. Only a few moments later, a piercing white light overtook the entire library, eliminating all shadows from all corners of the room. The young dragon attempted to shield his eyes, but to no avail. And just as soon as it was there, it left and the room returned to normal. The scared assistant poked his head out from behind the barrier, assessing the damage.

Seven viscous puddles of goop, all in a different color, littered the floor. In the center, instead of an orb, there was a tomato, sparkling with a purple cackle. Twilight Sparkle was nowhere to be found.

“Twilight?” he asked, hoping for a response. The tomato stopped sparkling, and soon looked like a regular fruit. Without skipping a beat, the frightened dragon swiped the experiment result gone wrong and rushed out the door, heading to the only other unicorn he could trust.

~~~

The door swung upon with great force, slamming the opposite side. The bell hanging above still jingled as an exasperated Spike rushed through.

Rarity, who was in the kitchen while wearing an apron, turned around to meet the sudden guest. “Oh my! Spike, how thoughtful of you, a tomato. I thought I sent Sweetie Bell to go and get some for the salad we were going to have for lunch, but this one will do. What a gentledragon you are.” She levitated the tomato out of his claw, unknowing of the disaster story behind it.

“Wait…Rarity,” he huffed, attempting to catch his breath. “That’s…not…”

“Nonsense Spike, it’s a beautiful tomato. It will do just fine,” she reassured. Placing the fruit on the cutting board, she reached for a knife. Spike would have shouted, but his heavy breathing refused to let him. He watched, in agony, as Rarity diced his friend up into pieces and spread the chunks through the leafy salad. Then, as the horror show continued, she drizzled on some fine ranch sauce and grated some cheese.

Spike couldn’t handle it anymore, and collapsed on the floor. Thinking he was just out of breath, she levitated him onto a nearby couch and covered him in a silky smooth blanket. Sweetie belle arrived moments later, slightly disappointed someone had beat her to the punch. But still, the two sisters sat down and ate the delicious salad, unaware of the tragedy.

The end.