• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 1,116 Views, 82 Comments

A True True Friend - Darksied



My first FiMfic. A multi-chapter, short-story about a teenager with an abysmal life. He is given Pinkie Pie to be his friend. Sad, depressive but a light, happy end. Hope you enjoy.

  • ...
14
 82
 1,116

Senior Graduation

David stepped away from the podium. He had just given his graduation speech. He hadn't finished top of his class, but it was good enough. He hadn't gotten much time to speak, but it was enough. It was all enough to let it be one of the best moments of his life. His dad smiled gave him a smile and thumbs-up from the audience. They applauded him off-stage, like everyone before him. He couldn't wait to tell Pinkie about it. He still couldn't believe it had been two whole years since they had met and she had agreed to be his friend. He had made a few new friends since then, but Pinkie had remained his very best ever since junior year.

And then there was his father. Turned out he had an undiagnosed mental condition. Extreme Emotional Sensitivity Disorder or EESD. It was why he abandoned David when he was born and was the root of his rage. It also explained his sudden depression. He was immediately put on medication to even it out, and it had worked! His mood had equalized, and he apologized to David sincerely. In fact, his father hadn't stopped apologized even after about a year and a half. His father went to a therapist about 3 times a month for while, but slowly the check-ups became fewer and farther between. David's father even moved up in his company and got a large raise. When David's birthday rolled around, they had gotten actual cable and David got a TV in his room. He and Pinkie had spent many hours watching TV since then. On top of all this, David's father was now dating a woman that was kind-hearted and sweet. She actually sort of reminded him of his mother. It was all good.

On the way home they picked up some ice cream. They enjoyed each other's company in silence. The obvious joy of the moment could be felt in the four door sedan. A tired smile was plastered across David's face. When he got home, he said goodnight and went straight to bed. When he woke up the next day, his father was already gone for work. He ate breakfast and hugged his Pinkie Pie plushie tightly. But something odd happened. The toy did not glow with it's bright pink aura as usual, instead, nothing happened. He frowned at the toy

"What's wrong with it?" He asked aloud. He tried hugging it again, but still it remained inactive. Suddenly, Celestia appeared in his room. He jumped, but his reaction was minimal to the intrusion. "Celestia, just the Alicorn I wanted to see." he joked, though her face did not waver from it's pained frown. He continued "The plushie isn't working, what's wrong? Is Pinkie rejecting my call? Is she alright?" He asked, concern growing in his voice with every word. Celestia hesitated, then sighed.

"Pinkie Pie is fine, but I cannot allow you to see her anymore." She started, then looked to David to reaction. He simply sat agape. She almost continued, but David stopped her with a hand. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Why? What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" He said quietly. He looked up to see Celestia had taken much pain to tell him what he had just heard. She continued.

"No you didn't do anything wrong. On the contrary, things turned out exactly how I planed. The two of you became great friends, your life improved many times over. But, that's just the thing, your life has improved so much and you've grown up. Soon you will be off to college, and you won't be able to take Pinkie Pie with you. You two need to part ways now. It was bound to happen. Please, don't be mad, this is just how it has to be." She said, kindly and sincerely. David could tell that this was hard for Celestia. He looked her in the eye, and felt tears rise to the surface of his own.

" Can.. can I see her one last time? Please?" His voiced wavered. She put a hoof on his shoulder.

"Yes, of course, and I'm sorry this had to happen." Her horn glowed lightly and in a burst of light Pinkie was in David's room. She whipped her head around and locked eyes with a sobbing David. She ran to him and hugged him. She turned to the princess.

"What happened? What're you doing here princess?" She enquired, comforting David.

"I'm not allowed to see you anymore, Pinkie. I'm sorry." He wept. He buried himself deeper into her embrace.
Pinkie reacted with a look of horror and pure pain. Her head snapped to Celesta.

"Why? What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" she asked, which was the exactly series of questions David asked previously. Celestia shook her head, sighed and re-explained the situation to her. Pinkie looked as if she were about to retaliate, but quickly gave up on the subject. She knew that it would be futile.

"So, this is the last time I'll ever see David?" She asked, tearing up. The princess nodded slowly, refusing to make eye contact with either of the pair. Pinkie looked to David. He was still crying. She followed suit. The two sat, holding each other and bawling, for a while. Eventually, when they both agreed it was time, they broke away. Pinkie turned to Princess Celestia and nodded. She turned around and spoke to David.

"Goodbye, David, I won't ever forget you. I love you." She looked down quickly on this last note. David looked up to see the two Equestrians fading away in brilliant light. He forced himself to sit still. But he yelled.

"I LOVE YOU TOO, PINKIE!" He thrusted himself forward, but was launched back by some invisible force. All he could do was sit and watch his best friend, his first real friend, fade out of existence forever.

He sat for a long time, not crying, not making a single noise. After a while, he reached for the plushie. Slowly, he pulled close to his chest. He thought of all the time he had spent with Pinkie. The games, the stories, all of the times in which he called on her and she answered without hesitation. He remembered the time before his father was diagnosed, how Pinkie gave him strength. He sat and remembered how she taught him how to make friends. He remembered all the days, countless hours they spent together. He now cherished every moment, and if he could just have that back, he would cherish it all the more. He felt a warm lump in his chest. No, not in his chest, on his chest. He opened his eyes to see his Pinkie Pie plushie shining blindingly. He warmth wrapped around him. He was now forced to close eyes, the light was glowing so brightly. That was all he could recall. When he woke the next morning, he was in a world beside his own.