• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 481 Views, 31 Comments

Daring Do and the Cask of Undeath - PaddedCell



After the unexplained disappearance of her mother, the eminent archeologist Daring Do, can Desert Dust hope to rescue her and discover the secret of the fabled Cask of Undeath?

  • ...
1
 31
 481

Chapter Fourteen: The Chase

“Remember.. You lot get down to Ponyville on-hoof. It isn’t too far from here, and I hear Zecora lives out this way, so you can stop off at hers for a bit. You two, you’re with me.” Daring ordered. All nodded, and with that, the two selected Pegasii troops kicked off from the murky ground alongside Daring, and all dashed into the air after the cargo helicopter. Dust could only sigh, watching her mother disappear again. She could only trust her to return swiftly this time.

Swooping through the air between the ragged trees of the Everfree Forest, the winged ponies dove up over the treeline and surfaced into the open air. Where their travelling below the canopy had disguised them, the changelings who escorted the helicopter could now clearly spot their pursuers. With a myriad of chittering cries from within the cockpit of the craft before them, the chopper ramped up its engines and powered into the lead. In pairs, the changeling escort broke off and doubled back to provide covering fire. Bullets tore across the sky, hot lead punching the air relentlessly as the adventurers had only a split-second to dodge. Her partners were taken down quickly, spiralling to the forest floor below. Daring snarled, blazing ahead and pulling a weapon from her saddlebags; a rifle. The thing cracked with juddering fire, cutting down a changeling. The remaining insects swooped around in evasive manoeuvres, outflying even Daring Do with their agile wings and light bodies. One darted directly beneath her, spiralling upward and firing off a few rounds. She managed to dodge, a bullet clipping her wing as she dropped forward. It took a moment to regain her composure. Biting down on her lip, she tried to ignore the searing pain in her wing as she darted upward again, flying back on-course. The chopper was now only a few metres before her. Turning to let off another two shots, she cut down a pair of the aerobatic rivals before ducking down and flying beneath the helicopter. But as she tore upward alongside it, hoping to leap inside, she was met with the terrifying sight of a changeling officer standing in the cargo bay of the chopper, aiming the dual barrels of a mounted machine gun at her. Behind him, secured to the inside of the open bay by chains and clamps, was the hastily-constructed crate which held the Cask inside.. She was so close. As the weapon thundered at her, she swooped down and beneath the chopper again. Making sure that her saddlebags were securely shut over, she flipped upside-down and wrapped her hooves around the undercarriage of the aircraft, holding on. Giving her injured wing a rest, she began climbing along in the hope of ambushing the gunner who guarded the cargo bay.

The changeling didn’t know what hit him. A bullet through the skull, and he was free to be dropped out of the side. However, the gunshot had alerted the three co-pilots who sat in the cockpit with the pilot. In earnest to catch this pest, they began climbing along the outside of the craft and into the bay. Daring, who was now checking the supports which held the Cask safely in place, was taken unaware as the first changeling co-pilot leapt into the bay to her side, landing a heavy blow against her skull with the butt of a shotgun. As he turned it down to aim at the dazed Daring, she gave a half-bored kick with a hind hoof, which hit him straight in a tender place. The first was dealt with, flailing backwards in agony and falling out of the chopper. The two remaining aggressors entered simultaneously, both holding pistols. Looking to one and then the other, Daring’s heart sank. She staggered to her hooves.

“Two of you against one of me.. Seems a little unfair..” She uttered, ducking to avoid one pistol shot. The bullet sailed across the bay, flying out into the air via the door opposite – And narrowly missing the opposite changeling. Grabbing hold of the mounted machine gun, Daring had enough time to swivel it around and hack down one changeling in a hail of burning, explosive gunfire. But alas, she was not quick enough to turn and fire on the other, who tackled her away and out of the bay door to her side. She dropped out, only just managing to wrap a hoof around a metal support on the outside hull of the chopper. She climbed onto the wing, crouching low to avoid both being sucked off and vomiting from the sight of the Everfree Forest (And indeed, the majority of Equestria) swaying in a disorienting movement below the moving helicopter. The changeling climbed out onto the wing, edging closer. He aimed the pistol directly at her head, smirking as he clicked and chirped some changeling profanity at her. Taking advantage of his confidence in a perceived victory, she lunged forward, knocking the gun out of his hand and kicking him as hard as she could. The changeling, realising only too late that he was falling sideways and away from the chopper, kicked his wings into overtime. But his last-ditch attempt to prolong the fight was in vain – By a gross miscalculation of just how fast he would need to move in order to catch up to the chopper, he sailed upward diagonally. He could only let out a horrified, alien screech as he hit the cold, spinning blades of the helicopter. Daring winced as dark liquid splattered everywhere. Gritting her teeth, she climbed back onto the side of the chopper and began onward to finish the job. Clambering into the cockpit, she grabbed the pilot and rammed him through the windscreen. The hapless changeling dropped down through the sky, squealing as he attempted to open his wings despite his shock. Grabbing the controls, Daring turned the helicopter around, sailing back through the air toward Ponyville.

Dust sat in the town square as the helicopter swooped down, landing gently on a patch of grass. The stained blades above slowed to a steady rotation, and then to a full stop.

“Mother!” She called as the bruised and battered-looking Daring clambered out. The adventurer was smirking. “Mother, are you all right?”

“I’m fine.. And we have the Cask.” A crowd of the local residents had gathered, and looked on with interest at the proceedings. However, the calm atmosphere was cut short by the sound of engines, and the sharp buzzing of wings which drew ever closer.

“You may wanna retract that last statement.” Cistern coughed, raising a wrinkled eyebrow. Three armoured cars turned corners around the shops and houses, skidding to a halt as they reached the square. Battalions of changelings dismounted, joining the groups which flew down from the skies. In a moment, the adventurers were surrounded. From the corner drove a different model of armoured car, with dark windows and regal-looking insignia spray-painted on its bonnet. Slowing to a stop alongside the square, the driver swung open the door and stepped into the light. It was a high-ranking changeling officer who, in turn, opened the back door to the car. From that door arose the villain of the piece. Dressed in a black garb with a belted greatcoat to match, was the Queen herself. Chrysalis stood, regarding the scene with cold, taunting eyes and a malicious smirk.

“So.. You’ve brought the Cask to me. Thank you ever so much.”