• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 784 Views, 10 Comments

The Mystery of Stonehallow Manor - F74mM4B73



A mystery that takes our favorite group of friends in sheer suspense and terror.

  • ...
0
 10
 784

In Honor of X

Chapter I

In Honor of X

by: F74mM4B73
Special thanks to a friend

6-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-9

It was a fair day in the middle of fall and Rarity and Fluttershy were at the cafe over an outdoor table for two having some tea. It was again one of those days where they just had their spa day. Rarity had her pink sunhat on and both of them looked undoubtedly refreshed.

"These are definitely the times where you would want to stay in a high-class Canterlot hotel suite and sit leisurely while reading a good book," Rarity sighed, "if only there aren't so much work on my hands. I have to make ten copies of my new design to a client in Manehattan."

"Well... I guess I could offer to help... if you don't mind," replied Fluttershy.

"That's really nice of you, Fluttershy, but I think I could manage."

"Umm... okay. I still have a few errands to do anyways."

They took a sip on their teacups when a white envelope in Rarity's name appeared right in front of Rarity. The two ponies abruptly dropped their teacups and the tea spilled over the saucers. Fluttershy immediately took cover under the chair.

"Oh my!" uttered the startled Rarity, "Why in the world would an envelope suddenly appear here. It seems that it might be sent through magic."

"Maybe... you should try... opening it?" replied Fluttershy timidly.

With the glow on her horn, Rarity carefully unsealed the envelope and revealed a piece of paper. The letter was written in flawless cursive. Rarity began to read the letter:

"My fellow pony,

I am pleased to tell you that you are invited to my dinner party at 7PM

in Stonehallow Manor. Dress your best and don't be late.

Sincerely Yours,

X"

"Well, this is odd..." said Rarity, "Why would someone send me an invitation anonymously? I mean, a pony like me shouldn't just be invited in secret."

Fluttershy got back on her chair, "At least you are invited to a dinner party."

"Aw, Fluttershy... if only there was some way you can come with me, too, so we can have some fun together."

At that moment, another same-looking envelope in Fluttershy's name appeared in front of Fluttershy. The startled pony once again hid under her seat. Rarity took the envelope and opened it.

"I guess you'll be coming with me after all," said Rarity.

Fluttershy slowly got up, "I guess... it is a bit strange that someone would send us an invitation without telling his name."

"We still need to find out who this 'X' pony is. Also, we need to find directions to this Stonehallow Manor."

"Maybe we should ask Twilight at the library."

"Brilliant idea, let us head to Twilight at once!"

It was just after lunch when the two ponies finished treating themselves and trotted their way to the library. On their way, they were able to bump into Applejack and Pinkie Pie, who was as jumpy as ever.

"Hiya there," greeted Applejack, "what're y'all doin' here?"

"We recently received an invitation to a dinner party from a certain pony who called himself 'X'," answered Rarity.

"Oh my gosh! oh my gosh! oh my gosh!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie, "I've got the same letter as you guys! Applejack and I were just asking ourselves about it. Who do you think is this 'X'? Is it Zecora? Maybe it's Mr. Fancypants! Or maybe it's Princess Celestia herself!"

"That's what we're trying to figure out as well," responded Rarity, "Fluttershy and I were just heading to the library to ask Twilight."

In a second, A white envelope in Applejack's name magically popped up in front of Applejack, which startled everyone and they all jumped a couple of steps back. Applejack took a closer look inside and the same message that was written to the other three had finally reached her.

"Ah guess I'm invited, too," said Applejack, "what're we goin' to do now?"

"We get ready for the party!" replied Pinkie happily.

"Umm... guys?" said Fluttershy softly, "I'm sorry to bother you... but I think we should go head to Twilight and ask her where the Stonehallow Manor is?"

"Oh right," said Rarity, "Let's all head to the library."

In a couple of minutes, the four ponies found themselves at the front door of the library. Applejack took a knock at the door, and within a few seconds they were greeted by Spike. Spike let them in and the group spotted Twilight who was reading the same letter as they had.

"Hiya there Twi," greeted Applejack, "It seems that you had just received yer invitation."

"Spike had received his invitation before I did," replied Twilight, "Do any of you have any idea who this 'X' pony is?"

"We were asking ourselves that, too" responded Rarity, "but none of us seem to know. We were going to ask you if you have any clue where this Stonehallow Manor is."

"No I don't," she responded, "but I do have an original copy of the map of Ponyville. Maybe we can look for directions there. Spike, will you please fetch the map for us?"

"Will do!" announced Spike.

Spike went to take the ladder at the right side of the library and walked towards the leftmost bookshelf. He held the ladder at the middle of the bookshelf in place and started climbing up. Spike spoted a ten-foot roll of parchment on the bookshelf and took a hold of it. Because of the small extent of his arm, he contracted his arm and the map started to roll towards him and off the bookshelf. Out of panic, Spike lost grip on the rung and fell back as the map fell toward him. Then, Twilight quickly used her magic to levitate Spike and the map and gently placed them down.

Spike sighed with relief, "Whew, thanks Twilight."

"Dont mention it," she smiles.

Twilight used her magic once again to adjust the map at the left side of the room. The others backed away and watched in amazement as Twilight rolls out the parchment until it clearly showed a twenty-foot wide bird's-eye view of Ponyville printed in vintage color. Each residence and establishment in the vicinity was clearly labeled in dark ink, and the map extends from the corner of Sweet Apple Acres to the edge of Everfree forest. Everypony looked around to find the Stonehallow Manor.

After a few moments, Fluttershy spoke up, "Is this the one?" and all turned to where she's pointing at the edge of the Whitetail Wood. There revealed a mansion labeled 'Stonehallow Manor' bigger than any other house in Ponyville except for the Rich residence.

In a split second, a blue figure crashed through the front door of the library and sawdust rapidly spread across the small expanse of the library. As the sawdust settled, the distorted blue figure appeared to be Rainbow Dash standing over the pile of run-down wood.

"Twilight! Twilight!" Rainbow yelled out, "I need you... to..." seeing more than one pony than expected standing side by side with surprised looks on their faces. "Let me guess..." she continued, "all of you got that freaky invite."

"Yes we did," replied Twilight, "but next time, try to knock first."

"Yay! Now all of us can go together!" shouted Pinkie happily, as she flings out some confetti out of her pockets. "This is gonna be so fun! Maybe I should bake a huge six-layer cake. Then, I'll give some to everyone, and then we'll use the leftovers to have a food fight!"

"Uhh, Pinkie dear," replied Rarity, "I believe this is a civilized dinner party. We don't what our host to hate us... whoever he is. Although, I don't have much time to make all of us dresses for this party. Maybe, we could wear the dresses we wore at the Gala."

"Sure!" everypony agreed unaminously.

"Then let's meet up in front of the Whitetail Wood before seven," proclaimed Twilight, and one by one the other five ponies said their goodbyes as each of them leave through the gaping hole that used to be the front door of the library.

~x~x~x~x~x~x~x~

Later that evening, each of them met up again at the park in front of the Whitetail Wood finding out that they're not the only ones who were invited. Twilight and Spike arrived first and wore the same garments as they did before. Pinkie Pie came after, and she was accompanied by the Cake family. Mr. Cake wore a coat with red and white stripes, a matching tie, and a matching hat. Mrs. Cake, on the other hand, was wearing a specially made light blue dress with a short train. Riding on a single stroller with the Cakes was Pound Cake wearing a red bow on his chest, and Pumpkin Cake wearing a similar bow on her head.

Rarity came with Sweetie Belle, and Fluttershy brought Angel along. Rainbow Dash came flying through the open air and landed in front of them. Applejack met up with them last as Apple Bloom, Big Macintosh, and Granny Smith are seen right behind dressed as decent as the rest of the ponies. Big Mac had accompanied Cheerilee with Scootaloo right beside her.

The group sauntered through the path of leaves in various hues. Unusually, the path had been adequately lit with lanterns, which had not been there in the first place. As they walked through a turn, most of the ponies were surprised to find the lanterns leading them to a cobblestone path, which couldn't be seen before probably because of the plant life that must have covered the unseen. Each pony reluctantly followed the path that soon left them in front of the wide gates of the mansion. A large house surrounded by a mossy brick wall that stretches as far as they could see through the dense forest. Behind the trimmed grass and topiaries is a mansion standing on a stone foundation made of some of the finest redwood. The walls are supported with tall windows, and the dark-colored roofs are glimmering under the moonlight.

Most of the ponies were in awe and their thoughts were running in excitement as they started their expectations on what each pony would do in the mansion; however, the gates were locked shut, and all of them were starting to wait impatiently for their host to appear. On their minds, each pony wonders, "Who is 'X'?"