• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 3,378 Views, 14 Comments

Gems, Elements, and Sinerals - jsk244



There is more to the Master Emerald, and the Elements of Harmony, than anyone knows.

  • ...
4
 14
 3,378

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

By KidtheBrony

Miles 'Tails' Prower was a smart kid. Scratch that; He was a genius with skills in mechanics that even their biggest foe had to admire. After first befriending Sonic the Hedgehog he quickly found his niche in undoing the robots and devices under Eggman's control and building some of his own. While not physically powerful, Tails could just as easily whip up something new and shiny, not to mention destructive, to go toe-to-toe with the robots in their way, or solve a mystery that speed alone couldn't solve. From hoverboards to transforming biplanes, he's made almost everything under the sun, and still he works hard to further enhance his arsenal and the general technological levels of his friends and the world in general. In many ways he was the exact opposite of Eggman, furthering the life and living comforts of the world, instead of trying to rule the world and lord over others with advanced technology.

But perhaps the greatest work of his was the ongoing study of the Chaos Emeralds. Unlike Eggman, who simply used them for the infinite power they held, or Knuckles who only cared about protecting the Master Emerald and knew only that it could control the lesser gems, Tails was trying to understand them. Since first touching one and harnessing its power, he'd known that those magical gems would lead to great things...or terrible times. Time and time again he was proven right, as monsters and Eggman sought them out to bring the world to the brink of another disaster or conquer it with a machine of destructive power. And while Sonic, the world renowned hero, was more than capable of handling most threats, sometimes even he needed the boost they provided to counter the last, and greatest, threat at the time. It was from Super Sonic that Tails had theorized that there was more to the gems than a simple power source. Whenever he could get his hands on one during the times of peace between crisis, he'd tried to analyze and understand any secret that may lay within them. So far, he'd managed to create even more efficient generators and devices to power with the gems, but sadly the more mystical aspects of them eluded him.

Which was why, when Angel Island was engulfed in a strange new version of Chaos Control, Tails was both thrilled and upset that his research had never even hinted to this kind of power. It meant that there was indeed more to be found, but for now he first needed to survive this new twist.

Later, when he finally woke up, he didn't immediately remember how he'd fallen asleep. Then the overhead sun managed to catch his eye, and as it flashed across his vision so did the memory of the party. Sitting up, he let out a shout of surprise when he felt the ground underneath him suddenly grow soft. He started to sink, but at the last minute his tails started spinning and they managed to push him back up. Hovering above the ground, he looked down to see what was wrong, only to see a puffy white cloud beneath him.

"I was...on a cloud?" He breathed out in surprise. Slowly he touched the surface with a foot, and when he felt some resistance, dropped down completely. To his shock he didn't fall through.

"Whoa, I've never seen this before!" Poking at the cloud reminded him of a sponge, or a large pile of feathers, it was hard to tell which fit better. The harder he poked it the more its texture changed, going from near solid to almost gaseous. Feeling adventurous he started to bounce around, giggling as it started acting like a trampoline for him. For several minutes he enjoyed the strange but amazing cloud, until finally with a really big bounce it completely broke up underneath him. "Whoa!"

Regaining his bearings Tails hovered over what remained of the cloud, now a slowly dissolving bundle of mist. Guess I shouldn't have bounced so high..., He thought. Shaking his head, he tried to refocus on the problem at hand. But where am I? What happened to...?!

"Sonic! Amy! Knuckles!" Tails shouted, his voice echoing across the sky. "Cream! Rouge! Anyone?!"

His voice echoed lightly but there was no response. This high up allowed him to see the surrounding landscape for miles, and although there seemed to be civilization nearby in the form of a village or town, everything else was unknown to him. A thick and dark forest lay directly below him, but landing there didn't seem like a good idea. Mountains were scattered around the horizon, and what seemed to be a large orchard lay close to the forest edge. Knowing his tails wouldn't be able to keep up his hover for long, he made a quick decision.

"Well if they're anywhere they've got to be in town." He said out loud. Nodding his head, Tails slowly began flying toward the town, praying that he was right.


Miles were passing by in a blur as Sonic ran, a thick trail of dust following him. He'd been moving north after tossing a stick he'd found near the edge of the strange desert to pick a direction. So far it had only lead him from one empty land to another; deep canyons and open barren plains now stretched out around him, and he could've sworn there were wolves howling somewhere in the distance. No houses or towns were in sight yet, but the speedy hedgehog wasn't about to give up. After all, a few miles were nothing to a guy who could circle the world for fun!

I gotta be getting closer, I can feel it. He thought. Just hang on guys!

Putting on more speed, Sonic vanished from sight with a boom.


Sugarcube Corner was as teeth rotting to look at as in the show. Designed after a gingerbread house with two cupcakes on top, it sat on a fork in the road just off of the main road to town center. Each window had pastries and cakes lining the shelves, and the smell of freshly baked bread was wafting through the front flap doors. Taking a deep breath, Mark could just make out the scent of cherry, apple, and chocolate along with dozens more that he couldn't immediately identify. He loved that smell, more than the pages of a book or the burning logs of a campfire. It was why he worked in a bakery in the first place, although it hadn't been his first choice admittedly. Still he certainly wouldn't mind working in this bakery.

Right...just roll with it and hopefully the fourth wall won't come into this. He assured himself. Walking up to the door, he reached out to push it open...

...only to have it fly open by itself and send him flying back with a pink blob on his chest.

"SURPRISE!"

"GAH!"

Feeling the air leave his lungs, Mark tried to focus on the pink pony atop him. The bouncy mane, balloon cutie mark, and ear-to-ear grin was as recognizable as his own face and just as welcome. Pinkie Pie was practically vibrating as streamers and balloons billowed out of the doorway behind her - accompanied of course by kazoos and other party blowers just out of sight. But unfortunately, due to her size and his own reduced one, her weight was slowly crushing him and spots were starting to form around his vision.

"Hi there I was wondering when you'd show up because you see I had this really, really weird tingle yesterday and I was like 'Oh I never felt that before' and then I had this super weird combo with butterflies in my stomach, a twitchy eyebrow, and a poofy mane and so I was like 'Oh something new is coming to town, I've gotta get ready!' but then I thought maybe I should throw a party but you weren't here yet so I figured I could throw a pre-surprise surprise party with all my friends since I'm sure they'll want to meet you too and I was like 'That's a great idea Pinkie Pie!' but because I threw the party yesterday I was all out of supplies today - I know shocking right? - and so I figured I could just use a regular old surprise for you with what I have left and now you're here and I wanna throw you a party later to welcome you to Equestria and I really, really, really hope you can come 'cuz otherwise I'd be really sad and-"

"PINKIE PIE!" Mark gasped.

"Yes?" Eyes blinking innocently, the party pony finally stopped defying physics and took a deep breath. "Ohhhhhh, you're not supposed to be blue are you?" Jumping off, she backed off while he tried to breathe. "Hey wait a minute, how did you know my name?"

"Y...You just...said it..." Mark said in-between breaths. She didn't breathe once through that whole thing. What a pair of lungs!

"Oh right, teehee!" She giggled into her hooves. "So like I said, I'm Pinkie Pie and I know everypony in Ponyville, because everypony is my friend! What's your name and do you wanna be my friend too?"

"Mark...uh, Mark Magnum. Nice to meet you Pinkie Pie, and yes."

"Yay! You and I are gonna be great friends, I can tell!" With that she pulled the poor human into a hug, nearly crushing his ribs under the pressure.

I'm being hugged by Pinkie Pie! No wait, that's a bad thing because I'm being bear hugged by Pinkie Pie! Gasping, Mark said, "Air!"

"Whoopsie!"

"Pinkie Pie, what are you doing dearie?" An older mare walked out of the shop to find the pink pony, gently, patting Mark on the back. "Oh...oh my...um hello sir, I hope Pinkie Pie wasn't too energetic in welcoming you."

"Ah, uh, n-not at all ma'am. Actually I kinda liked it - you don't get that kind of welcoming just anywhere."

"Yes, well, would you like to come in? We've got plenty of things on sale if you're interested." Gesturing him to follow, Mrs. Cake walked back inside with the two following. The store was surprisingly spacious despite the small front room. A refrigerated display case stood next to the cash register, and a pair of door flaps lead into the back room where the huge kitchen obviously was. A set of stairs next to it led to the living quarters upstairs. Mrs. Cake walked to the register and smiling turned to Mark again. "So what can I do for you dearie?"

Looking at the selection, Mark fought back some drool at the sight of such perfect looking pastries. "Uh..." Shaking his head, he tried again. "Actually, I was wondering if you were hiring? You see I'm new in Equestria and I'm afraid I don't have any bits..."

"Where are you from?" Pinkie Pie asked from beside him. She was zipping around him peering closely at everything he was carrying. She seemed especially interested in the sheathe that held his combat knife, but he made sure to keep a hand over it to block her view.

"Far away to put it mildly." Mark replied with a smile. "I managed to get here by living off the land, and I had a few more bags with me full of supplies. Unfortunately I lost them a while back and...well..."

"Oh dear how awful. It's just good you didn't go and lose yourself now isn't it?" Mrs. Cake smiled in jest. "Well we can always use an extra hoof around when the orders start piling up, and sometimes we have to deliver some ourselves and leave the shop. Have you ever baked before?"

"I used to work at a bakery before coming here - I love baking actually."

"Yay! I knew we'd be great friends!" Pinkie Pie sneaked in a second bear hug, but thankfully it only lasted a few seconds. "You're hired!"

"Now Pinkie Pie..."

"Pleeeeeease?"

Oh god, Pinkie Puppy Eyes!

Mrs. Cake didn't last a second under her employees gaze. "Alright dear, you're hired!" Pinkie jumped in joy while Mark just smiled. "Honey, could you come here for a second?"

"What is it sugarbear?" Mr. Cake said as he came out of the kitchen. "Oh, well hello there stranger!"

"This is...oh uh...sorry but what's your name?"

"Mark, Mark Magnum."

"Mark here was looking for a job in the bakery. I just hired him to help out and wanted to introduce you."

"Well we sure could use the help. Name's Carrot Cake, and the misses here is Cup Cake. Pleased to meet you." He held out a hoof to shake. Mark took it and smiled.

"Nice to meet you too sir, and thank you for the job."

Behind the trio, Pinkie Pie grinned.


As Tails descended toward the edge of the forest he made extra sure that he stayed high above the treeline. Halfway to the forest edge he'd heard a terrible growl down below and had seen the leaves shuddering on several trees. It had slowly moved with him until, suddenly, it stopped, followed by another growl. Thankfully it had sounded sad instead of angry, but since then he'd known better than to trust these woods. As he set down on a grassy hill, he looked over his shoulder and shuddered at the sight of yellow eyes peering at him from the shadows.

I don't think I'll be going in there... He gulped.

From here it was another minute or two of flying to the edge of town, but as he'd never managed to strengthen his tails for prolonged flight he instead had to walk the rest of the way. It wasn't that much of a walk - only a few minutes more - but it made him anxious to get there if only because of his growing worry for his friends. He knew the odds of them all landing close by was slim; the Master Emerald had shattered before and had been scattered across Mobius, and there was little chance it wouldn't have happened to them as well. But a town meant supplies, and supplies meant he could probably make something to help speed up his search. If he was really lucky maybe there would be something he could fix up and get for free.

Finding a path leading into town, Tails followed it and eventually slipped onto one of the main streets. Looking around, he could see several equines walking on all fours just going about their day. A few took notice of him, but generally they either passed him by or said good morning if anything. The houses were all made of stone and wood and suggested they lacked high level technology like some of the bigger cities. That was slightly disappointing, but just because it looked that way didn't mean it was. Above in the sky he could see - to his surprise - several pegasi flying around and even moving clouds. Remembering the odd cloud he'd awoken on, he couldn't help but wonder if these people had some kind of magical control over the weather.

After noticing that a few of the horses had horns, Tails concluded they probably did.

I really must be lost if I'm somewhere on Mobius with magical equines. Magic is pretty rare these days. Tails frowned. Come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing Mobians like these before...and why are they all quadrupeds? It was an odd trait for any Mobian to have. On a world where there was an endless variety of species very little was shared in common. Of those traits that were, bipedal bodies was a constant, along with a shared language that according to records had existed for as long as anyone could remember. For any Mobian to not exhibit a common similarity meant they were either very, very isolated or perhaps...

No way, it couldn't be. Tails shook his head, a hand coming up to rub his chin. Unbeknownst to him, several ponies were now watching the strange fox as he stood in the middle of the street thinking. But I don't know what happened with the Chaos Emeralds either. The Master Emerald broke...something like Chaos Control...and the dome of light that appeared...could they have done more than scatter us? But where to, or maybe when?! Oh man, is this the past? Is that why-

Suddenly he felt something slam into him from behind, sending him tumbling forward. "Oof!" He cried, hearing someone echo him from behind. Sitting up he rubbed his head and luckily didn't feel any bumps.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to bump into you like that!"

Still rubbing his head, Tails started to turn around and apologize. "Oh, it's no problem miss, I..."

The two of them froze, both staring toward the other in shock. A purple unicorn a few inches taller than him was sitting on its haunches staring back. Violet eyes, a shade darker than her coat, were scanning his body with the intensity he usually gave a new machine or mystery, marking her as an intellectual likely like him. On both flanks was a strange tattoo; a dark purple star with five white ones circling it. A couple of saddlebags were also on either side of her body, and filled to the brim with books. But after looking over the girl Tails finally looked down at what had really shocked him; a large gem roughly as big as his hand lay on the ground, its green surface faintly glowing. He'd recognize a Chaos Emerald anywhere, but the fact he'd found one so easily, and in this girls possession too...

"U-Um, I'm sorry for staring. I just, it's just that I've never seen anything like you before." The girl, or pony perhaps, now that he was close to one to judge said.

"Huh? Oh uh, it's okay miss." Tails replied distractedly. "Do you mind if I take a look at that gem of yours?"

"My what? Oh! I must've dropped it when I bumped into you. Sorry again for that." With an apologetic glance, the pony's horn lit up and suddenly a violet aura wrapped itself around the Chaos Emerald. Startled, Tails jumped when it began floating toward him. "Here, isn't it fascinating? Do you see how it glows like that? I think it might somehow be producing its own magical energy. Isn't that exciting?"

Taking the gem into his hands, Tails watched as the aura faded and the gem became dull once more. Now touching it, Tails could definitely sense the telltale power locked within. It seemed to warm in his grip even, perhaps sensing a familiar presence, and began to hum and pulse with light. This is really lucky, I can't believe I managed to find a Chaos Emerald already!

"Wow..." Jumping again, Tails looked up and saw that the unicorn was now peering closely at the gem, eyes alight in joy at what was happening. "It didn't do that before! How are you doing that - are you using a spell or actually tapping into the energy inside of it?"

"Uh...I'm just holding it really. The Chaos Emeralds usually do this when one of its brothers are around..." Trailing off, Tails looked back down at the gem. Wait...could there really be...

"Chaos...Emeralds?" The violet pony backed up slowly, a wary look now on her face. "Is that what it's called? How do you know what that is? None of my books had anything on it."

"You don't know what a Chaos Emerald is?" Tails asked in confusion. They were just about as infamous as his friend Sonic, since they tended to cause just as much trouble or good as both sides did alone in a crisis. They were practically international treasures, which alone sometimes caused problems on a lesser scale.

She opened her mouth to reply when-

WHUMP!

Crying out in shock, both Tails and the girl cried out as they were knocked to the ground by a massive wave of air. Around them ponies began screaming and more than a few windows shattered from the force. The sky grew dark and a loud rumble filled the air, drowning out the voices of the townsfolk as something massive began to appear in the sky. Stumbling, Tails managed to stand and helped his companion up before the two of them looked up at the sky to see what was going on. Their jaws dropped in shock.

"Is that..."

"...a castle?!"

Atop a crumbling wedge of land, floating high above the town, was indeed a castle. It's numerous towers were jagged and jutted out at every angle, the black stone of its walls so dark they seemingly absorbed the light of the sun. Its size was unknown but it easily dwarfed the town, casting a shadow over everyone. Because of their close proximity to the edge of town, however, Tails could see more than just the towers and upper ramparts. And what he saw was terrifying.

Thousands of soldiers lined the walls, towers, and even the sky around the massive monolith. Their armor came in variations of red, black, and gold, but all had their helmets designed after a roaring dragon's head and shoulders with wicked blades running along the top. Spears, swords, and maces were in every hand, all splattered with red and wicked sharp looking even from this distance. And beside the soldiers were various winged beasts, easily large enough to hold two soldiers atop it. They were like reptilian vultures, their tattered webbed wings flapping loudly in the air as they screeched and cawed. Some of the smaller, single mounted ones looked to be like bats, their gaping maws and wide yellow eyes making a horrid sight. Their numbers darkened the sky wherever the castle didn't, and more continued to fly out of the center of the castle and spread out. But the worst came as the massive front gate lowered, and from inside came two lumbering giants, each wielding a club with a spiked collar around their necks. Chains snaked down from it to numerous soldiers pulling on the ends to get them to move, and if Tails had to guess, just one of them was easily as big if not bigger than any of the houses around him.

"W-What is going on!?" The violet unicorn screamed.

"..." Gulping, Tails looked down at the Chaos Emerald. It was glowing brightly, and when he lifted it up to the castle, he felt it begin pushing away from the monolith. It's never done that before, so they can't have a Chaos Emerald. But then what-

His thoughts were interrupted as a horn was blown from somewhere inside the castle. As one the soldiers all raised their weapons and began shouting, their mounts and the two giants roaring alongside. Ponies began screaming again and fleeing in all directions, and like a flood the soldiers jumped down with seemingly no worry about how high up they were. As they began to land Tails ran in the opposite direction, knowing that above all, these soldiers couldn't get their hands on the Chaos Emerald. Beside him his new comrade followed, and even after a time began to lead him along somewhere. Trusting her native knowledge, he followed and sent a plea for help out in his mind.

Sonic...Help!


Less than a mile away, atop a mountain near Ponyville, Sonic the Hedgehog watched grimly as the floating castle appeared from thin air. He saw the evil design of the castle walls, heard and saw the numerous soldiers as they began attacking the town, and sighed.

"Oh man, this isn't good." Punching the palm of his hand with a fist, Sonic sped off to save the day.