• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 1,481 Views, 17 Comments

Lunar Diplomacy - Verathuum



Luna goes to a mysterious country in hopes that they will help protect Equestria from the powerhouse Discordia.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,481

Chapter 5

The Florian scanned the grass with his thermal vision and saw the outline of a body, human, and probably Equestrian. He also saw the faint outline of a four legged creature: a jyptulok and a baby at that. Still, it had two very long fangs with acid poison and could kill a human with one bite in less than five minutes. He grabbed his baton, an energy sword that any Florian had. It was the best weapon against anything that lived in Auflorsung. He quickly drove his blade into the baby jyptulok, searing its organs and killing it instantly. He pulled his blade back up and sheathed it on his side. Then he reached down and picked up the Equestrian. He examined her closely making sure she was in fact Equestrian and that she wasn't bitten. Her white skin and oddly colored hair, in this case blue with what looked like stars, was a dead giveaway, as well as her solidly colored eyes. Florians also had white skin, but their hair was never anything but brown, black, or blonde; and their eyes were never a solid color.

He assumed she was doing the same, with what little she had to go by with his mask, examining him like he did her. After a few seconds, he remembered he needed to make sure the jyptolok was dead. He let go of the Equestrian’s arm and kneeled down next to the dead bug. He picked it up and looked closely at it. Its blood had been evaporated by the heat of the energy blade and it wasn't moving; clear indications it was dead. He glanced up at the Equestrian when she thanked him, but there was a screeching noise before he could reply: the jyptolok’s mother was still around, and most likely very angry as they usually were. He tossed the baby jyptolok down and grabbed the Equestrian’s arm firmly, and brought her into the broken airship. It seemed to be the safest place at the moment, given that it was somewhat sheltered and there were many flames around it, most likely from any knocked over candles on board the ship.

“What was that thing?” the Equestrian asked. He quickly shushed her by putting his index finger over his mouth.

“Crazy girl,” he thought, “Does she not understand the danger we’re in? One more word and she’ll give away our hiding spot for sure.” He found a small chest that he was able to put the Equestrian behind so the mother jyptolok wouldn't see her, and he found his own spot to hide just opposite the chest. He pulled his baton off his side and extended the energy blade, remaining sure to keep it and himself hidden.

A larger version of the jyptolok emerged from the jungle and into the clearing. It stopped and looked around for a few seconds. It was a terrible creature: chitinous skin, twelve feet high, and fangs the length of the Florian’s arm. It was so large, in fact, that a single stab with an energy sword was not enough to kill it. It required several swipes at one leg just to hack one off, and at least two legs needed to be cut to be effective. It scouted the area noticing the wrecked airship, but not approaching it because of the flames on it. Fire was what most Auflorsung beasts feared the most, and luckily it was on Luna’s and the Florian’s side. After about thirty seconds, the mother jyptolok went off in the direction that it came, blissfully unaware of the fine meal it could have made of the two humans.

The Florian slowly emerged from behind his cover and examined the area closely. When he saw it was safe, he went back into the airship to retrieve the Equestrian. “I hope that thing doesn't come back,” he thought to himself. He let his hand down and allowed the girl to grab it, instead of firmly grabbing her arm and pulling her. He wasn't sure about Equestrian culture, but he figured the females were similar to Auflorsung females.

“What was that thing?” the Equestrian girl asked him. He looked back outside before replying to make sure it was safe.

“A jyptolok,” he replied with a single tone and with evident fear in his voice, “Same as the little one that would have bitten you.”

“What makes the babies so dangerous?” she asked him. Luna looked at him curiously: he hadn't shown his face or any skin for that matter, and now that he finally spoke, his voice had a strange distorted quality to it. “Is he even human?” she wondered to herself, “Is he some mechanical automaton?”

“Acid spit, and long fangs. Plus its poison could kill you in less than five minutes,” he told her, “Now, who are you and why did you penetrate Auflorsung airspace?”

“I’m the princess of Equestria, and I came here to try to make a treaty with your country,” Luna replied.

“No you’re not,” the Florian protested, “Princess Celestia wears a white gown, and has multicolored hair. Don’t lie to me; you’re probably some lady-in-waiting for her.”

Luna was taken aback by the fact he knew anything about Equestrian, or even another country’s culture at all, but also by the fact he challenged her royalty. “I’m Princess Luna, Princess of the Night,” Luna replied somewhat loudly, “And how do you know my sister even exists?”

“I've never heard of you,” the Florian replied, “And what are you talking about? I used to go to Equestria all the time.”

Luna had become so angry by his challenging her status that she was tempted to slap him, but it was clear he was wearing some full-body combat skin, and that his helmet was probably made of a very hard material. She lost all her anger, however, when he said he used to travel to Equestria all the time. “You…you used to go to Equestria all the time?” she asked him in complete confusion.

“Of course,” he replied, “But I haven’t been in a thousand years.”

“A thousand years?” she asked surprised, “Well…that would explain why you don’t know me. About two years ago I…returned to Equestria and have been there since,” she explained to him, but she was still surprised at his comment, “a thousand years.” This proved to her that he was an automaton since no human, save for Celestia, herself, Cadence, Chrysalis, Twilight and Discord could live longer than a hundred years.

“Oh,” the Florian said, “That makes some sense.” He glanced back outside again then back at Luna, “So if you really are Princess Luna, can you prove it?”

Luna rolled her eyes. Never had anyone given her so much trouble, but she had to remain calm. She was a diplomat in a foreign country and representing all of Equestria. She figured she could prove her office with little trouble. “Yes, I can,” she said, “Wait here.” She quickly ran upstairs to the next floor and went into her suite. She grabbed the knocked over portrait of herself and Celestia and the sun and moon painted behind their respective princess. She quickly came back downstairs and showed the Florian, who now was sitting down on the chest Luna was hiding behind.

“Alright,” the Florian said, “I believe you now, Princess Luna.” He looked up at her from his sitting position, but kept his helmet on, silently wondering, but not really caring, why Luna never asked him to remove it.

“OK, now can you take me to your master so they can take me to your leaders?” Luna asked him.

“Master?” the Florian asked surprised, “I have no master, Auflorsung is a free country!”

“What do you mean?” Luna asked him, “I can see you’re clearly an automaton.”

The Florian said nothing, but crossed his arms. He dropped his helmet behind his head exposing his face entirely; showing Luna his stern “die in a fire” look. His light brown hair was pushed to the side with blonde streaks in it indicating he had spent his share of time in the sunlight. His eyes were brown with small patches of yellow as well. He looked like he was no older than twenty-five.

“Don’t look at me like that!” Luna yelled at him.

“How could you think I wasn't human?” he asked.

“Your armor, your voice, the fact you never took your helmet off,” Luna replied.

“Even though I showed emotion earlier, something robots aren't capable of?” the Florian protested.

“Emotion?” Luna asked, “You never showed emotion.”

“When I killed the jyptolok. I felt a little sad.”

“Why?”

“It was a baby. Now about your ship.”

“How did you even do that anyway? That ship was aligned with aluminum. It’s indestructible.”

“Maybe by your standards,” the Florian laughed, “But aluminum isn't exactly a strong metal. And no amount of lightweight metal is going to stop the shockwave from that explosion. The sheets of it that were on the top of the balloon are probably shattered from the blast they took. If you thought you could come here with slow, predictable airships then you've really got no idea how Auflorsung works, do you?”

“Not really,” Luna said knowing she couldn't win this argument, “Now, where are we and what’s our situation?”

“Well, we’re on the eastern coast, well about ten miles from it, and about a hundred miles from the closest city,” the Florian replied, “It appears we’re doomed to walk unless my light sail is still working.”

“Light sail?” Luna asked.

“This,” the Florian replied pulling the baton off his right thigh, “If it still works, I can fly you all the way to the capital, but if not, we’re walking to Chukxil, the closest city.”

“Well, go see if your jet still works,” Luna told him.

“First, let me ask a favor. Please don’t boss me around like I’m one of your servants. You’re in foreign lands now, representing your country so it would look really good if you were nice, but yes I will go see if my light jet still works,” the Florian said, “You might want to come with me as well.”

“Alright,” Luna said. She followed the young-looking male to a nearby cliff where he raised his helmet and pulled the baton off his right thigh.

“Stay right here,” he said, “I don’t know if it’s going to work, and I know that you can’t risk dying because of a faulty vehicle.”

“Alright,” Luna replied, “Wait! If that ends up broken, will you die?”

“Most likely.”

“Then what am I supposed to do if you die?” Luna asked him. He replied with a shrug and jumped off the cliff.

The Florian began falling head-first towards the ground, and he pulled his baton in half. One half became the throttle control, and the other became the joystick control. Around him, blue lights appeared outlining the vehicle, and the rest solidified. He pulled up and increased the throttle and blasted up above the cliff he had launched from. He turned around and slowed the jet down enough that he was able to push the baton pieces back together, collapsing the jet and allowing him to collide with the ground safely. “Well, it works,” he said happily, even though he was sure the blast hadn't damaged his light sail.

“Good, now before we go, I have one more question,” Luna said.

“What is it?” he asked realizing he would play tour-guide for the next few hours.

“You said you came to Equestria a thousand years ago, but you look like you’re only about twenty. How is that?” she asked him.

“Well, you see we Florians put our brains to work and we discovered a way to make ourselves immortal through genetic manipulation if we want it,” he replied, “It just so happens I got mine at nineteen and I haven’t aged in eleven hundred years.”

“Why would…how?” Luna asked him unable to comprehend what he was telling her. It was obvious Auflorsung was centuries or even millennia ahead of all the other countries on Equus in technology.

“I’ll explain on the way,” the Florian said, “Here, I need you to hold onto me really tightly.” Without question, Luna wrapped her arms around his neck firmly and she jumped onto his back in a piggy-back style when she felt him leaning over the cliff. “Hang on!” he said over the crescendo of wind. He pulled his baton again, and his light jet materialized. With a slight tug on the joystick, he leveled the craft and put it in a straight and level flight.

Luna had never felt such a sensation. Sure she had flown in airships, but they didn't compare to riding on a small machine like this. They were going much faster than any airship could hope to, even with a hurricane pushing it. She breathed the savory rushing wind and looked into the sky. It was nighttime here, but daytime in Equestria, meaning she would be asleep during the night here without messing with her internal clock. This excited her somewhat because now she would be able to join the others in their daily activities and enjoy the sun properly. “So,” she began, “You haven’t told me your name.”

“Jolterix,” the Florian replied from behind his helmet. At some point he raised it again, but Luna wasn't sure at what point. “Princess Luna, we have to make a quick stop in Chukxil.”

“Why?” she asked him.

“You can’t go around this country looking like that,” he said, “Plus…well I’ll let you figure it out.”

“Let me figure what out?” she asked.

“What?” was his only reply indicating to Luna he was in no mood to talk, but in reality he just didn't hear her. “Anyway we’re gonna make a stop to get you some new clothes.”

“Clothes like yours?” she asked.

“Kind of like mine.” He pushed the throttle forward to gain speed, but at the same time remaining careful not to overwork the engines. He heard a booming sound and looked up. There was some lightning and they were approaching a storm it looked like. “Hang on,” Jolterix told Luna, “I think we might be in for quite a ride.”

Luna looked up and saw large clouds illuminated by the glow of the city ahead of them. “You can fly us in a storm, right?” she asked with much concern.

“Oh yeah,” Jolterix replied then thought in his head, “As long as I get super lucky.” He kept the small craft on its heading, which was unfortunately directly at the storm. The small plane began to point its nose into the wind, making the ground track slightly to their right; a position known as “crabbing.” All seemed well for a few minutes until there was a very bright flash and loud boom.

“What just happened?!?” Luna shouted with panic in her voice.

A red display popped up over the center console and had several flashing indicators. “Well,” Jolterix replied as the display popped up, “I’d say we just got struck by lightning, but this notification confirmed it. Be glad you’re still alive, Princess.” He looked to his left at the wing and saw it had been broken off and the plane was trying to regenerate itself, but could not.

“What’s going on with that?” Luna asked him when she noticed the wing’s outline appear then disappear.

“It’s trying to regenerate itself, but the electricity from the lightning isn't letting it,” Jolterix replied, “Do me a favor?”

“What?”

“While you've already got your arms around my ribs, unbuckle the straps around my stomach and chest then take the pack and put it on you.”

“Why?”

“Just trust me.”

“Alright,” Luna replied. She did so and put the pack on herself, “What’s it do?” she asked.

“It’ll slow your fall,” Jolterix replied now struggling to keep the plane steady, “If we go down, you could get off safely so I don’t have to worry about you as well.”

“Oh, well…thanks,” Luna replied.

“Get ready,” Jolterix told her.

“For what?”

“This!” Jolterix turned the small plane over and Luna fell off. He quickly reached up and pulled the cord which released the little wings allowing Luna's slow descent. Then he cut the throttle and slowed the small plane as best as he could to its proper gliding speed, even though it really had no gliding capability at all. Within a few minutes, he was very low to the ground where he pitched up hard and put in as much throttle as possible, stopping his descent. In the nose-up, near-hover position, he pushed the throttle and joystick together, collapsing the jet into its baton. Jolterix fell only about ten feet where he landed safely on the ground, and he spotted Luna. Awaiting her arrival, he took in his surroundings. “Exactly where I wanted to be,” he thought gladly to himself.