• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 1,366 Views, 15 Comments

Answers - cheesecow123



Dinky Hooves has always had a pretty good life. She has an excellent mother and sister, and, well, an absent father. But when he finally shows up, Dinky knows everything will be fine... right?

  • ...
1
 15
 1,366

Chapter 4

The Doctor's eyes grew wide. Because he had been traveling on his own for a long, long time, he was shocked by the powerful emotion exhibited by his former companion. He suddenly felt very, very guilty. If only he could have come here sooner.... No. If only he was brave enough to come here sooner. He could have watched his children grow up. He could have been there for every lost tooth, hoofball game, and Father's Day. He could have been a father. Guilt washed over him. His hearts grew heavy with the thought of all the pain he had caused Derpy and her family. His fault. All his fault.

Sparkler coughed uncertainly. She was unsure of whether to leave and comfort her mother, because something was telling her she was the last one her mother wanted to see.

The Doctor was awoken out of his reverie by his eldest daughter's shaky cough. He shook his head and spoke quietly, his voice cracking from lack of use. "I should...um..."

"No, I um......" Sparkler shifted uncomfortably.

"No, I've got it." The Doctor's voice was surer now, and he made his way off the couch and through the kitchen, getting closer and closer to his companion.

**{O}**

Derpy raised her head wearily as the sound of tentative hoofsteps became closer. Her eyes were bloodshot and her lemon-yellow mane was disheveled. Her usually pale gray muzzle was blotchy and flushed, and tear tracks were etched into her cheeks. She buried her head in her pillow quickly as the door creaked open. She didn't want anyone seeing her like this.

"Derpy?" The Doctor's gentle voice broke the sound of silence echoing in Derpy's room. "How are you feeling?" Derpy's heart twinged in pain as she heard the caring tone in her lover's voice. After all this time and all that had happened, he still loved her.

She felt the covers near her hooves shift slightly, and she knew the Doctor had sat on the bed. His accented voice broke the quiet again as he made comforting small talk about the weather, and the house, and how good it was to be in Ponyville again. Derpy was lulled into an exhausted and dreamless sleep.

**{O}**

As soon as the sound of Derpy's room's door closing broke the steady noise of raindrops, Dinky and Sparkler exchanged a single fleeting glance and raced to the edge of the door. Sparkler peered through the keyhole, and Dinky crouched under her, peeking through the crack between the door and the ground. They shifted and shoved their ears in their respective holes, straining to hear some of what was being said. "Move!" Sparkler whispered angrily. "Ssssh!" Dinky furrowed her brow and leaned closer to the door, straining to hear. "I can't hear! And you might let them know we're out here!"

Sparkler silently (and angrily) conceded, and she bit her tongue and tried not to object. After more minutes of silent spying, Sparkler and Dinky glanced at each other, perplexed. The room had fallen silent after continuous quiet talking thus far. The mare and the filly pressed their ears even closer, the filly's eyes squeezed shut in concentration.

Dinky glanced up at Sparkler, her golden eyes shimmering wide with unanswered questions. "Nothing," She sigh-whispered. "Nothing at all." Sparkler glanced down in defeat. She blew a lavender strand of mane out of her face as the stepped back from the door. Dinky backed away also, and shook herself quietly. They stood there for a moment awkwardly, not quite sure what to say.

Suddenly, in the milisecond in which Sparkler had closed her eyes to blink, Dinky barreled over her, her sharp hooves digging into Sparkler's ribs. The clip-clopping of frantic hooves echoed in the little house as Dinky raced to her room and Sparkler rose from the ground, fuming. She turned around, ready to give Dinky a piece of her mind, only to come face to face with her father. His icy-blue eyes were disapproving.

"If you're going to spy," He said, whispering, "At least try to be subtle about it." He sighed and shook his head forlornly. "Just like Donna. You know," He inhaled a sharp breath through his teeth. "Sometimes I wonder if she's your mother instead of Derpy. You two are just too much alike." Sparkler stood there, dumbfounded. Her father's slight underbite gleamed as he smiled at her mischievously. What?

**{O}**

The trees shimmered as a light, summer breeze rattled through their electric green leaves. The grass was an inviting emerald pillow beneath the smoky blur that was a pegasus streaking through the sky. Oh, the sky! It was such a beautiful thing that afternoon. It seemed to simply glow with joy and radiance. There wasn't a cloud swimming across that vast pond of a sky. The smoky blur slowed, to reveal that it was a female pegasus with a light yellow mane. The pegasus lightly soared across a few more meters, but then it slowed to walk along the ground. It walked right into a deep blue box, the creak of the door opening and closing the only sounds in the summery meadow. The pegasus called out into the large interior of the small box. "Doctor! Doctor, are you there?" The voice echoed as the pegasus trotted into a large library. A scream pierced the dim light of the library. The pegasus cantered toward it, panic filling her lungs and fueling her desperate canter. The pegasus rounded a corner only to be momentarily blinded by a golden, shimmering light. The stallion was utterly enveloped in it. Screams intertwining in some kind of terrifying harmony echoed in the large library.

**{O}**

Derpy awoke in a cold sweat. Her sheets were soaked and her bones felt like jelly. Her stomach heaved, and she swallowed bitter bile. Her breathing rasped, and her eyes squeezed shut, holding in tears that threatened to overtake her. Derpy took several heaving breaths, and got up from the bed, tip-hoofing quietly towards the bathroom hooked up to her bedroom. Once her hooves reached the cold, hard linoleum, she slumped agains the sink, breathing heavily and closing her eyes. All this stress can kill a mare, she thought. Oh, Celestia, I sound like my mother. She cringed inwardly. Derpy stepped into the shower, and washed away all the pain of the dream, the past day, and all the regret since the night the Doctor left her.

Author's Note:

Okay, sorry for the annoying author's note, but I'd like to apologize for the grammatical error in the last paragraph, where I am missing an ident in several places. I'm doing this on an iPad, so for some reason I can't indent. Sorry and thanks!