• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 1,364 Views, 15 Comments

Answers - cheesecow123



Dinky Hooves has always had a pretty good life. She has an excellent mother and sister, and, well, an absent father. But when he finally shows up, Dinky knows everything will be fine... right?

  • ...
1
 15
 1,364

Chapter 2

Dinky felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She took a shaky deep breath. It unsettled her that the air was very pregnant with electricity now, and a growing sense of unease told her it wasn't just the oncoming storm.

She started backing up slowly, trying to get inside to safety. She glanced quickly over at her mother, wondering why she wasn't heading inside as well. Why was Derpy standing statue still and watching the sky with utmost concentration? What was going on? Questions raced through the panicked filly's head, tumbling over one another in their rush to be answered.

Dinky took one last look at her mother before entering her small house, eyes round with terror. She spun her head, looking at every corner of the sky she could see through the tiny kitchen window and observing it fearfully. She saw nothing but rolling turmoil for miles in every direction. The sky was heavy with rolling thunder, and purple-blue lightning zipped from cloud to cloud.

Wait!! Was that a-a- Dinky's mouth dropped in pure shock. A little blue box flew back and forth across the sky. What in Celestia's name was a blue box doing flying around?!

Dinky turned her head suddenly to the sound of her mother's jubilant laughter. She scrunched up her face in confusion.

"Mom, what's going on?" Dinky's voice rang with fear.

"He's coming back, muffin, he's coming back!"

Suddenly, the wind started to blow. Dinky's light gold mane whipped around her, and the feathers on Derpy's wings became ruffled. The wind was so strong, Dinky stumbled backward.

She realized in horror and disbelief that the blue box was coming closer... and closer... and- HOLY CELESTIA WE'LL BE CRUSHED!!!!

The panic overwhelmed her, and Dinky screamed and ran in circles. She felt nothing but pure terror. Adrenaline kicked in, and Dinky ran even faster. She had no direction, but she knew was that she had to get away from this place.

Her mind cleared a bit, and she darted into her house, seeking shelter from the storm. She practically flew into her small bedroom. She crawled under her bed, heart beating frantically. Air whooshed in and out of her lungs at an alarming pace.

After a little while in the safe warmth under the bed, Dinky's heart began to slow and her breathing became more even. She shuffled forward slowly, peeking just her head out from under the bed.

She breathed in shakily. Tentative hoofsteps echoed in Dinky's still, silent house.

The sky was still dark and thundering, but Dinky did not feel terror like before. Something about the sky seemed calmer, less chaotic now.

Dinky's front door creaked ominously as she stuck one eye out fearfully, looking for signs of danger. Another eye slowly appeared, and a lavender hoof came with it. Soon, the whole Dinky was outside, glancing fearfully at the sky.

There was no sign of the blue box now. Was I hallucinating? Wondered Dinky. A fat raindrop fell on her horn. Finally, She thought, It was finally-

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her mother crying from the backyard. Dinky's brow furrowed and she cocked her head slightly, wondering why. Had Sparkler been hurt? Had Derpy been hurt?

Fear fluttered in Dinky's heart. Her stomach twisted as horrible thoughts came to her head. She shook it quickly, trying to clear it. She stepped forward, approaching the gate leading to the backyard. She heard her sister crying faintly as well, and- was it...?

No, it couldn't be. Thought Dinky. Your mind is just playing tricks on you. There is no one but your sister and your mother in the backyard, there is no one but your sister and your mother in the backyard, there-

Dinky's fears were confirmed as a stallion's sable-colored stallion emblazoned with a half-empty hourglass came slowly into view. The edge of a tall blue box was just visible behind the stallion.

Dinky's vision became rimmed with black, and her hooves and the tip of her horn grew numb. Her head throbbed and ached, and her stomach rolled. Her back legs gave out, leaving her in an uncomfortable seating position. Oh, her head.... she blinked, realizing her sight was limited to tiny pinpricks in a sea of blackness now. The last thing Dinky remembered before passing out was her mother's voice..... "Oh, Doctor, you're back!"

**{O}**

"Ohhhhh......" Dinky moaned quietly as waves of pain crashed on her horn. Her magic teacher had told her and all the other unicorns in the advanced class to be very careful when playing sports and such, because "A unicorn's mind continuously processes and excretes waves of magic when it's conscious. When we sleep, half of our mind is processing and emitting magic, but when we, say, faint, our mind is fully asleep. When we eventually wake up, our mind has to process large amounts of magic all at once to make up for the break, and it can cause extreme headaches and nausea."

Dinky had not been paying much attention that day. She and Tootsie Flute had been giggling in the back of the class about something or other. If she hadn't been paying attention then she was paying attention now! "My head..." Her throat was dry and her voice was hoarse.

"Oh, Muffin you're awake!" Dinky couldn't see it, but her mother's face was flooded with relief. "We were so worried!"

We? Derpy was surely worried, but Sparkler didn't give one bit about Dinky's well being. That could only mean... the stallion! Dinky's eyes flew open, startling Derpy; who was leaning right over her; so much she flew straight up and hit the ceiling.

Dinky's eyes suddenly seemed to glow with rage. "YOU!" A snarl escaped the ugly grimace that was her mouth. Her voice stung like a swarm of bees, but at the same time rang with utmost disdain. She leaped at the stallion, knocking him to the ground and landing on his chest. "WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU HERE!?" Her horn started to glow with shimmering golden magic. It was excruciating to use her magic while her head still hurt, but Dinky was too full of white hot rage to care much. She lowered her horn to the stallion's forehead, ready to blast his brains out at the slightest move.

"Dinky!! NO!" Derpy and Sparkler shrieked in unison. It would have been comical if not for the terrifying situation at hand.

"Uhhhhhh..It's okay!" The stallion yelled back. Dinky didn't show it, but she was momentarily perplexed by the stallion's strange accent. He lowered his voice, addressing Dinky and Dinky alone.

"You're quite the fighter, aren't you?" For a moment, their eyes met, and Dinky froze, confusion plain on her face. She had expected him to make a plea for his life, not make a witty comment!

The stallion took advantage of Dinky's momentary hesitation, worming out of Dinky's grasp and pinning her to the floor before she could bat an eyelash. "Gotcha!" He puffed out his chest and gazed down proudly at his struggling capture. An expression of surprise overtook the pride, and he was lifted off of Dinky and into the air in a swirl of magic. Dinky looked over to see Sparkler's horn lit with the same amethyst magic, and grew even more confused. "Dad," Said Sparkler evenly, you've got to stop teasing her. That's a sister's job!"

The stallion smiled condescendingly. "Sparkler, your mother and I didn't have any more children after you.This demon spawn belongs to someone else."

Sparkler grinned evilly, her eyes dancing with mischief. "Are you sure?"

The room grew completely silent, except for the rain dropping steadily outside.

The stallion spoke, right eye twitching. "I created that!?