• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 293 Views, 0 Comments

Masquerade - Jewel_Eater_Dragon



This is a short story of my OC and how he became to be the pony he is. The strange things that happens to him, the friends he makes as well as learning about his new self. Maybe, if e's lucky, there might be a little love interest later. Who kno

  • ...
 0
 293

Changes

The morning came and the rooster crowed loudly. I opened my eyes and blinked as the bright morning sunlight sneaked into my room. It was daybreak and I could see the sun sneaking its way past the horizon.

I smacked my lips and looked around. At the far corner, the candle had utterly melted. I guess I forgot to put it out last night.

I stretched out, feeling better than the night before. I thought about taking those berries again but decided to keep them if the pain came back. After all, Apple Bloom said they numb pain and today, I didn’t feel any pain. I was about to get out of bed just as I heard Apple Bloom yell out from the kitchen… which was right next to the guest room.

“HEY MASQUERADE!! BREAKFAST IS READY!!!”

It was then I heard a deep stallion’s voice, “Ya’know Apple Bloom, he’s sleeping rite next door.”

There was a short pause, and then I heard a soft reply, “Oh… right…

She was loud. So loud, my head started to throb. However, again, I stopped myself from taking those berries. It’ll pass I told myself. As I got out of bed, there was a slight knock on the door. “Masquerade? You awake?” It was Applejack.

“Yes, I’m up.” I replied. And I made my way to the door. I was about to open it when the door opened and Applejack stood there smiling. “Thank you” I said.

“No need to whoa!...” she said out loud.

“I looked around and at myself, wondering if something bad had happened to me the previous night. Finding nothing, I asked “What? Whats wrong?”

“Nothing really, it just seems like you’re … taller today.” Applejack said.

“Really?” I thought to myself.

“Musta been tha trick of tha light sis.”

“Maybe Apple Bloom. Though I could have sworn you were about as tall as me last night. No worries, here, come and have some breakfast.”

“Thanks. Good morning to you all too. I must say, it really smells great here. what are we having?”

“Well, we have fresh apples, apple fritters, apple pies, apple dumplings, apple cider, apple crisp, apple cobbler…”

“Okay sis, I think he gets the idea. Sorry masquerade, but my sister Applejack is really fond of her apple based baking skills.” Apple Bloom said, smiling sheepishly at her sister who was now giving her a slight disapproving look.

“It’s alright. Thank you again everypony.” I said as I sat down to the meal. I looked around, and wondered what to try first. I was about to levitate a small dumpling when Apple Bloom raised an apple fritter to my face.

“Try this, its one of the family favourites. Instinctively, I raised my hoof to it and tossed it into my mouth. And I felt the world dissolve in a colourful kaleidoscopic sensation of sweet apple, cinnamon, nutmeg and puffy pastry induced bliss. I think my eyes rolled back into my head. And as I came down from my high, I heard Apple Bloom said, “I think we may have hooked another one.”

“Can I have another please?” I asked, in a rather blissful way.

I saw the plate pushed in front of me and I think my heart skipped a beat. “Yay.” I think I said rather softly. I tried to levitate one, but I could hardly concentrate. So I picked another up with my hoof and pushed the entire fritter into my mouth. The intensity was not as overpowering as the first time, seeing I knew what to expect, but that did not make it any less delicious. Slowly, I polished the entire plate. And then it struck me, and I immediately came out of my high. “Eep. I’ve eaten them all! Sorry sorry everypony. I didn’t mean to….” It was then I say Applejack coming out of the kitchen with another platter of apple fritters.

“Family favourites Masquerade. We ain’t gonna run out that easily.” Apple Bloom said to me. “Want another?”

“Uh no thanks Apple Bloom, any more and it might be ruin my taste for it. I’ve had more than I should.” I said to her.

Soon we were clearing up the plates and taking them to the kitchen. It was then I approached Applejack and said. “I really must thank you for your kindness and hospitality. I’d like to repay you somehow.”

“Think nothing of it sugercube. We were happy to help out a fellow pony in need.” She said smiling.

“Still I insist that I’d do something around the farm. I need not be back in Canterlot that soon.” She was about to refuse when I cut her off, “Applejack dharling, I insist.” I said grinning as I tried my best to imitate her southern accent. She giggled and agreed.

“You can help Big Mac and Apple Bloom to buck the apple trees then. They’ll be down by picket fences by main road.” She said as she headed off back to the barn.

I had an idea so I made my way to meet the others. Soon, I saw Apple Bloom pushing baskets beneath the trees on one end and Big Mac bucking trees. It was a pleasant trot and I found myself liking the fresh scent of nature. It was something I would not get back in Canterlot.

“Howdy Masquerade.” Apple Bloom greeted me. “What’re you doing here?”

“Thought I’d come by and help out.” I said. “Applejack said it’ll be okay.” I smiled. “So, how do I about bucking the trees then?” I asked.

“Well, if Applejack said it’ll be okay, then sure, I’ll tell you how its done.” She said a she lead me to one of the trees with baskets under them. “Now, what you do is show your back to the tree, then you use one hind hoof to tap on it, just to get your bearings, then with either one or two hoofs, strike the tree dead center. Simple.” She said with a reassuring smile on her face.” Just be careful to hit the tree squarely. If you miss, you’ll slip in mid-buck and hurt yourself.”

I nodded and moved towards the tree. Turned around so my tail was facing trunk. I tapped it once with my hoof so to assure a straight angle. Apple Bloom then moved to me and asked, “You sure you wanna try this? You just woke up yesterday?”

“Thanks Apple Bloom, but I’ll try out one kick. If it hurts, I’ll stop.” I reassured her. She stepped back a little as I prepared to buck the tree. Again I placed one hoof on the tree trunk. I look over my shoulder to a better view. Confident, I look away, a mental image of the tree and its position in my mind. I crouch a little, my back muscles tense, and with one swift kick. I lashed out, striking the tree hard. I didn’t need to turn around. I could hear the apples as they tumbled into the basket. And there was the one stray apple that landed on my neck too. With one hoof and the small of my neck, I turned to Apple Bloom who had a rather shocked look on her face. “Apple Bloom? Are you –“

“One kick…” I heard her say softly. I tilted my head in confusion. She looked at me. “One kick” she said again.

“Did I kick it the wrong way?” I asked, a little worried that something bad had happened.

“Ah’ve never seen a Unicorn almost empty a whole tree of apples in one kick before.” She shook her head vigorously for a second. “Seriously Masqurade, you must be one tough pony to do that. Ah’ve never seen a Unicorn pony buck that hard before… you sure you’re feeling okay?”

“A little sore,” I admitted, “But nothing like yesterday.” I grinned at her. “Come on Apple Bloom, lets get these apples to the barn.” And it was then that Applejack wandered over to us.

“Howdy all. Everything going smooth here?”

“Yup. Masquerade here has one heck of a kick. Almost emptied that tree over there with one buck alone.”

I blushed, at her praise. “Its nothing really Apple Bloom. It was my first time trying that.”

“And his first time too. I say you have talent there.”

“Aww leave him alone Apple Bloom before he turns as red as Big Mac.” It was then both sisters started laughing.

Wanting to rid myself of my embarrassment, I quickly said, “Lets get these baskets to the bar then shall we?”

There were three baskets. Two large and one small. I assumed that the small was for Apple Bloom. Using their heads, they maneuvered the baskets onto their onto their backs. I decided that wasn’t going work for me, so I decided to levitate the basket instead. This’ll be another test of my magic.

I lowered my head to the basket. Nothing happened. I tried again. Still nothing. Not even the glow of the magical aura. “What’s wrong?” Applejack asked. I looked up at her and shrugged. “I don’t know.” Again I tried, concentrating hard on the basket, willing it to lift off the floor. Sweat was dripping down my head now. Nothing. This was perplexing, not to mention worrisome. Am I losing my magic? I scratched my head, thinking why would my horn not… … … my horn. My horn was not there.

I started to panic. I sat down and both my hooves were on my forehead. Feeling around for my horn, I was terrified of what was confirmed. That my horn was not there. The Apple sisters stared at me, a mixture of shock and horror on their faces. Apple Bloom had her hooves to her mouth. I parted my mane and asked them if my horn was there. They both shook their heads. I looked around for something to reflect my image. A puddle of water nearby caught my eye. I leapt to it and stared at my own reflection. My horn was gone. It really was gone. I panicked. I reared, I screamed. I galloped away as fast as I could, not even registering the pain I must be feeling. All the while I ran, I thought to myself, ”Where is my horn? Sweet Celestia, where is my horn!” I ran and ran, not know, not caring where I went. I just ran when suddenly … “H-H-Hey! Watch ou-“ BLAM! I crashed into somepony.

I opened my eyes and saw the sky. A moment later I saw the face of a purple Unicorn as she looked at me. “You okay?” And then I heard another familiar voice, “Twilight! Thank goodness you’re here.”

“Applejack, Apple Bloom. Who is Equestria is this and what’s wrong with him?” I could hear their conversation however, I was still a little dazed to respond.

“Twilight, this might sound a bit weird, but this Unicorn here has lost his horn.”

I saw the purple Unicorn look down at me again. This time, I also felt her hoof brush against my mane. She said to her friends. “Well, I don’t know what kind of stunt you’re playing here but his horn is right where it should be.”

I blinked trice. I placed my hooves on my head and felt the ivory horn jutting out of my forehead. “But… but… but… it wasn’t there a moment ago.” I muttered.

“Twilight, I swear, it really wasn’t there.”

“Argh… if it was anypony else, I probably would not have believed you. Let’s take him back to your place Applejack. Its closer than my place. I felt myself lifted up by magic and placed on the orange mare’s back. The scare, the panic, the run, the crash, all contributed to the daze I was in and I could hardly focus on anything on the trip back. However, one line did stand out. It was Applejack who said, “Apple Bloom, does he look smaller compared to this morning?”

Author's Note:

Finally, something happens... next chapter soon.