• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 293 Views, 0 Comments

Masquerade - Jewel_Eater_Dragon



This is a short story of my OC and how he became to be the pony he is. The strange things that happens to him, the friends he makes as well as learning about his new self. Maybe, if e's lucky, there might be a little love interest later. Who kno

  • ...
 0
 293

Waking up.

“Where am I?” I ask myself as I open my eyes. I seem to be in a hut. Rather rustic looking, the roof anyway. “How did I get here?” I begin to wonder. It takes a little time, but I slowly remember the changeling attack back home. I remember that there was a flash of light, I was scared. Yes, it’s starting to come back to me. Now let me see.

My name is Masquerade. I remember that, so I know that, at least, I don’t have amnesia. I am a short, fat Unicorn Stallion from Canterlot. I love costumes and I love making them too. I have my own store which is where I make and sell my home made, hoof made costumes. I have limited control over magic which is why I have lived my life doing things the earth pony way. I am able to get by.

If memory serves, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was about to get married. The groom was Shining Armour, Captain of the Royal Guard. It was a special day. I was making my way over to the castle to watch the ceremony when suddenly, there was a loud crash and I remember pink glass like material, falling from the sky. I remember the shock, the uncertainty and the desire to get out of there as fast as my short stubby legs could carry me. I remember green bolts that tore into the ground. I also remember other ponies galloping in all directions. Everypony was in a state of panic as the Royal Guards were trying their best to regain order. Everything was a blur, however, the one thing that I do remember clearly, not too sure why, was 6 mares heading towards the center tower, I think. What’s more, I think Lady Rarity was one of them. I could not be sure. I hate to admit it, but I was thinking more of myself at the time. Could I blame myself? The screaming, galloping, terrible flashes of light and the chaos that followed made it rather hard to gather one’s thoughts.

Anyway, I found this little hiding place behind some pots and I was willing to simply sit there until this was over. That is, if that blackish demon, a changeling, didn’t find me first. However, I guess I should not be too surprised. It would be easy to spot a short fat dark grey pony behind some flower pots, wouldn't it? Anyway, when I saw him, her… this creature, well, it hissed at me, I ran again, unsure and uncaring as long as I got away when suddenly; I was forcibly stopped dead in my tracks. I was caught in some greenish glop. I could not move. I panicked. It’s not something I’m proud of, but I admit, I was stuck there, bawling my eyes out. I was scared, terrified, and I wanted to go home. All around me, changelings were flying around, sneering, laughing, and their eyes were gleaming an unearthly green. My knees went weak and they gave out under me. I was then trapped as I lay, covered in that slimy, sticky green glop. I pulled and pulled but I was stuck like a fly on flypaper.

I shut my eyes, yet I could hear them laughing, their jeering. I could almost feel their stares on me when suddenly, the changelings that surrounded me upped, and flew away, well most of them anyway, and they all converged at the main tower. The one I thought I say Lady Rarity run to earlier. I sure hoped that it wasn’t her I saw. Anyway, with less of those black creatures around me, it was easier to force myself to calm down. I thought “I have to get out of this”. I pulled and tugged and as expected, nothing budged. I began chewing on it, but the green glop was tough and foul tasting. There was no way to break from this trap. I lay there for some minutes, thinking, racking my brain or a way out. However, the only solution that came to mind was a method I was never very good at. Magic. Truth be told, that wasn’t a very good option at that point. I looked up and I could hardly see the tip of my horn. It was embarrassingly short. A reminder of what a disgrace I am to be a Unicorn. But I tried anyway. I really didn't have anything to lose. I emitted a beam of light grey against the glop, but nothing happened. Not even a spark. I tried again. And again, nothing happened. The few remaining changelings once more laughed at my futile effort. I felt depression begin to overcome me. It was then my thoughts came to another spell, teleportation. It has never worked before; yet again I thought to myself, what have I got to lose?

I began to concentrate. I started the spell. I felt the energies build up inside me. I felt the spell beginning to work, but as always, that’s as much magical energy I could muster. All my life, all I could do was to muster up enough magical energy to start the spell, but never enough to finish it. However, this time I was desperate. I pushed on, forcing whatever little more energy I could. I felt it working a little more this time. I felt myself becoming a little transparent, but I began to tire, and I didn’t know if I could muster anymore energy to finish the spell. I struggled on while all around me, I could hear the few changelings laughing at my effort. However, at that moment, my desperation outweighed my embarrassment and I pushed on, trying my very best, ignoring the taunting sounds, the laughing, and the sneering, ignoring the pain and the weariness that I had begun to feel. I held on, “I have to.” I told myself. Then it happened. I heard a loud scream and when I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was the changeling in front of me; it looked back towards the castle. He saw, as well as I did, a globe of energy as it began to expand, its point of origin, the castle itself. The energy globe began to moving outward. I saw changelings pushed away as the globe of energy grew bigger and bigger. And before I knew it, before I could react, and before I could cut off the spell, a changeling was hurled towards me. I couldn’t even gasp as the changeling pass right through my semi-transparent form. It all happened in a blink of an eye. But if that wasn’t enough, the moment the ever growing energy field struck me, yes, it did strike me, I too was sent flying away from Canterlot.

I don’t remember much after that. I don’t even remember any pain from being struck so hard. But I do remember seeing the Everfree forest beneath me from high above the ground and a view of Canterlot that might have made a Pegasus green with envy. I also remember falling as well as the trees closing in. and then, I blacked out.

Author's Note:

It has been a while since I typed. I hope that you, my readers enjoy this story of my Original Character