• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 1,671 Views, 12 Comments

Princess Twilight's Solace - Word Worthy



Confronted with the startling reality behind being an immortal alicorn, Princess Twilight Sparkle seeks to uncover the truths her former mentor hides, even if she has to defy everything she previously believed.

  • ...
5
 12
 1,671

Chapter 1: Behind the Throne (WIP)

The newly crowned Princess Twilight Sparkle took to the balcony, gazing over the assembled subjects of the capital. Everyone was in patriotic cheer for the crowning of their newest, and youngest, alicorn sovereign. Twilight waved regal hooves at them all, the gold of her shoes gleaming and glimmering in the sunlight-filled air.

Surrounded by Princesses Celestia and Luna at her sides, Twilight felt her chest swell with pride, as well as trepidation.

Celestia, Twilight’s mentor and guide for the vast majority of the mare’s life, leaned a hoof on her shoulder in a gesture of support. “They’re waiting. Say something, Princess Twilight,” she murmured to Twilight ever so quietly.

“Oh, umm...” After a moment of uncertainty, Twilight found her composure, and her newly found royal instincts took over. Clearing her throat, she spoke. Her words flowed forth flawlessly, without hesitation. Her speech was not elaborate, but it was indeed powerful in its sentiment and heartfelt sincerity. The resulting emotion of the moment caused the girls to break out into song once Twilight had finished her first royal address. A contingent of Royal Guards marched, citizens collectively cheered, and the whole of Canterlot shook with the happiness and joy of the Elements of Harmony.

After the singing had ended, the young Princess had decided to give her new wings a test of their capability. Airborne, with Celestia’s radiant sun at her back, Twilight mused to herself. Clearly everything was golden from that moment onwards. Whatever tasks and duties she would be called upon to uphold, no matter what, the future was bright.

Looking back, the day had been a most monumental one. In the past several months, Twilight had reached the pinnacle of her greatest dreams, and beyond. She had met ponies who were now her dearest friends in all the world, learned vast amounts of wisdom far exceeding her years, and encountered and defeated some of the most awesome and dangerous chaotic beings Equestria had ever known.

There was no end to the young alicorn’s joy and happiness that day as she flew, and flew, and flew. When she tired of the skies, Twilight returned to Canterlot palace, among her friends. The six spent their time reveling in each others’ company, reminiscing about the adventures of the past, and the many adventures they still no doubt had before them.

However not everything was well in the land, or the world. There was one opposing force, unbeknownst even to Twilight, that still remained unconquered by the Elements of Harmony. Something that lurked in back of almost every Equestrian's mind, yet not a soul hardly ever payed heed to it.

No awareness of it crept into the young alicorn’s mind herself until it came time for her to realize it the hard way, from Celestia and Luna themselves.

One night, several days after Twilight’s coronation, the true implications of her evolution into an alicorn were brought into the light at last by her aunts. They sat her down, and spoke with her quietly, alone and away from anyone else.

Princess Celestia, as the eldest, was the one to speak of it first. She took a long sigh before she began. “Twilight, now that you are an alicorn, there is something you have to understand, something critical to your status as not only a royal, but now as one of the most powerful ponies in all of Equestria.”

“Indeed, my sister does not mince words, what we have to say is absolutely paramount if you are to continue on being an alicorn.”

Twilight looked from one to the other’s faces in confusion. “What do you mean Celestia, Luna, what is this all about? Does it involve my friends in anyway?” She inquired worryingly.

Celestia gave her a forlorn look, which sent chills down the youngest alicorn’s back. “I’m afraid it does. You see Twilight...” The eldest’s ears flattened against her head. “We alicorns, unlike our subjects, are not subject to the rules of time. There is a reason Luna and I have existed for so long. We are immortals, and by extent Twilight, you are now immortal as well.”

Twilight considered this for a moment. “So I will not age, I see, but, but then my friends...” That was when the haunting realization finally dawned on her. Her eyes widened, and her entire body began convulsing, trying desperately to hold back tears.

Seeing the youngest Princess’ deteriorating emotional state, Luna spoke again. “I am sorry, Twilight. We had to tell you at some point, lest you realize it too late, and you be unprepared. Though it may not seem so right now, this is a mercy on your part.”

Twilight did not look at either of them as she put her hooves over her head, and buried her face under her mane. She was now sobbing uncontrollably. The sight of it all broke the Regal Sisters’ hearts, but they’d had no other choice. They could not allow a fellow Princess to live in a lie for years before she discovered the grim truth herself.

Celestia moved to comfort her. “Twilight...” She said, ever so softly. Before she could continue, Twilight broke out of her sob.

“NO!” She bellowed. Her eyes were red and puffy from the intense sobbing, and her mane was now ragged and tangled.

“No!” She declared again. Celestia and Luna looked to her in shock. “I don’t want this then!” She flexed her wings for emphasis. “Change me back!” Twilight demanded.

Luna looked as if her anger was building. Her sister, however, only looked at her loyal student with a profane sadness. Celestia herself knew what it was like to outlive friends, pets, loved ones. It was the one universal curse that all Immortals must bare, if they are to continue in there state.

“I’m sorry Twilight, but the spell it took to transform you will take decades at least, before it will be weak enough for anypony, even us, to break and undo. I’m so, so sorry.”

“Then why did you change me into this? An alicorn, if you knew this would happen and you couldn’t reverse it?” Twilight’s sorrow was quickly being replaced by denial and rage.

Princess Luna had heard enough. “TWILIGHT! If you would pause for a least a single moment, you would truly understand the generosity of the gift my sister has offered you! We know not of age or sickness. Think of all the knowledge you could gain in the infinite time we now grant you!”

This only infuriated Twilight more. “Generous? What is the point if I can’t share it with my friends? What of when they start to show age? What will I say to them, when they finally realize I do not age with them? In the end, it would be just me and Spike, alone. How could we live with ourselves knowing those closest to us will always turn to dust before our very eyes!”

“Twilight, you would still have us...” Celestia began, but the youngest just would not hear her out.

“No! NO! I’ll outlive my family, my friends...NO! If this is the cost of being a Princess...” She tore her royal clothing and jewelry off. She left only her crown, the Element of Magic, upon her head. “I don’t want it! Not any bit of it!”

Shaking with rage, she rushed past them to the open window, the breeze of the night greeting her and leaving goose bumps under Twilight’s fur. Luna tried to stop her, but Celestia held a hoof to her chest, shaking her head sadly. “What will you do then, Twilight?” Luna asked in outrage.

Twilight looked at the sisters with a mixed expression of sorrow, rage, and hurt. “I will go to my friends, and if I can’t find a way to make myself mortal again, I’LL MAKE THEM IMMORTAL WITH MY MAGIC, ALL OF THEM!” She said the last part in the royal voice, of which she had just discovered she possessed.

“Twilight, you will only hurt yourself! Please, try to understand.” Celestia said pleadingly. The student looked at her mentor grimly.

“I shall conquer death itself, if that’s what it takes to stay with my friends. Goodbye Princess Celestia, goodbye Luna. Please don’t try to follow me. I don’t want to have to fight you, but if that is what it takes to succeed, so be it.” Twilight declared, her voice just above a whisper.

“Twilight..” Celestia murmured, her voice shook as her tears fell to the marble floor.

Twilight unfurled her wings, her mane now billowing like the that of Celestia and Luna’s. With a single leap, she took off at top speed. Her mane and crown were the last they saw of the Princess, and then she was gone.

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE! STOP!” Luna’s voice boomed across the palace as Twilight sped off, intent on making it back to Ponyville before anypony could track her path.

Twilight tried her best to keep her mind from running wild as she flew through the sky. She has left her old life behind. There was no going back now, and she needed to have a clear mind for the days and weeks ahead.

I'm so sorry for this, but you two left me no other choice. If I have to break the rules of nature itself to save my friends, so be it. Many will think me selfish for this. But how would they not do the same, in my hooves? I don’t care what I just left behind, the price is too great, I will even bend reality to my will if it dares to stand in between me and my friends. Goodbye, Princess Celestia.