• Published 19th Sep 2013
  • 819 Views, 13 Comments

Resident Pon-Evil (Mission III) - Operation: Cryptic Origins - Delta 727



We all know the story of Harmony's Elements. But what did the civilians see when the demons rose...?

  • ...
4
 13
 819

Chapter 2: Why me? Why US?

You can't take her away from me.

Yep. That's how it happened. It wasn't some gradual incident. There wasn't some kind of warning. It was just a hoof to the face. Of course, at the time, I didn't know how bad the infection was. Buck, it didn't even get past the compound yet. I thought it could be contained. Thought there was hope.

Well, I threw hope out the window. After that, there was none left.

But I didn't give up. It was my job to protect this city, and by Celestia, I was going to protect it.

After we found out about the infection, I volunteered to help contain it. Fortunately, it hadn't reached the public yet. Just a few guards from the compound. So, we were gonna head straight in, contain the area for the haz-mats, and forget this ever happened. Easy right?

Yeah, right...

*Begin Transmission*

After Commander Cherry broke the news to Golden Harp and Marigold, and Golden Harp volunteered to go in, along with a little protest from Marigold, the two ponies were assigned to go in with Black Jack, Spades, and Poker Chip to aid in the containment. Unfortunately, there was a twist. They'd be working with mercenaries from Harrow's End who volunteered to join in the operation if they weren't held responsible for the incident. Canterlot, being the honorable ponies they were, agreed, as long as they kept their hooves in line. They were assigned to meet the mercenaries from the Harrow's End Security Service in an old security warehouse linked to the Harrow's End laboratory building. Golden Harp and Marigold were given light armor and weapons, Golden Harp an assault rifle and Marigold an SMG, since the Harrow's End facility was still guarded by Harrow's End mercenaries.

"It's only to defend yourselves," Black Jack told them in the armory. "I'd seriously recommend you don't shoot anything unless it shoots first. We want as little blood as possible."

"And who'd be firing at us, by chance?" Golden Harp asked.

"H.B.C.S." Black Jack replied.

"In English, please?" Golden Harp raised an eyebrow.

Black Jack sighed. "Harrow Biohazard Countermeasure Service. They've been hired to protect a scientist by the name of William Buck, a scientist who's invented some kind of gene compound. It's dangerous, but expensive, and he wants to sell it to Canterlot."

"What kinda name's 'William Buck'?" Marigold asked?"

Black Jack shrugged.

Marigold just shook her head. "So they're sellin' th' gene thingy to th' ponies we work fer? Then why're we here?"

"We still need to arrest Buck. If he thinks that we're only interested in the compound, then he won't have doubled his security to compensate for us."

"How many are we looking at?" Golden Harp asked. "Twenty? Thrity?"

"We're looking at about eighty," Black Jack replied. Golden Harp and Marigold went silent. "But we'll be avoiding most of them. Then, we'll have teams move in to arrest them. Lethal force is authorized, but not encouraged."

"So who's th' pony that's workin' with us?" Marigold asked.

"His name's Dmitri Zernovski," Black Jack shrugged again. "Don't ask, I don't know what's with his name, either.

"Jeez," Golden Harp rolled his eyes behind his bifocals. "What's with these ponies and their strange names?"

"Maybe when we get there, you can ask him yourself." Black Jack turned for the door. "Now let's go."

About twenty minutes later, Golden Harp, Marigold, and Black Jack and his team were stationed on the roof of the Harrow's End compound. There were no guards. Black Jack said they were all stationed inside. They would be entering the compound through a roof access near a rooftop landing pad, and make their way down to the main corridor, take an elevator down to the laboratory levels, and intercept Buck.

"Anything else we need to know?" Golden Harp asked after Black Jack had explained everything.

"Yeah," Poker Chip, who turned out to be a mare, spoke up. "Buck's crazy. Genius, but crazy. He'll go to some pretty extreme heights if it's to protect his work. Be ready for the worst."

Golden Harp almost spoke up, but the door to the roof access creaked open. A white, blonde-maned stallion with golden eyes in a U.B.C.S. uniform stepped out, followed by three more each in tan U.B.C.S. uniforms outfitted with ballistic vests, tinted goggles or sunglasses, and tan ski masks. They all carried compact S.M.G.s. The white stallion stepped forward, and Black Jack trotted up to meet him, followed by the rest of the ponies.

"Dmitri?" Black Jack asked.

"Yes," Dmitri responded. "And I assume you are the pony known as Black Jack, Canterlot's head guard dog." Black Jack started to respond, but Dmitri continued. "You and your team will follow us down to the central terminal, and we will take an elevator to the labs. Do not shoot unless you are fired at first. If you are stopped by anypony who is aware of your authorization, tell them you were assigned to evacuate civilians, but it is already too late. Buck has used the virus on a few test subjects, and it is starting to spread, but Buck remains alive. He is to be apprehended, and his specimens executed. Are we understood?"

Black Jack nodded.

"Good." Dmitri turned around, heading back into the compound. "We must not waste any more time."

"Wait," Golden Harp said, and Dmitri stopped to look at him. "What's with your name? And Buck's?"

"They're Gryphon," Dmitri replied. "Our real names have been changed to something more obscure to make sure we cannot be tracked. Why? Is there something wrong with them?"

"No, just curious," Golden Harp replied. Dmitri entered the compound with his team without another word.

---

Inside the roof access was a metal grate staircase that led down several stories through the building, with a door on each level. Dmitri said they were all locked.

"Harrow's End locked down the building so other ponies could not get in. The compound is nothing short of a fortress. The only way to get inside is through here. The only problem is that it's a maze down here. There is no way to know where to go unless Harrow's End gave you a map. Unfortunately, they only gave it to you if you had reason to be here. None of us have that. Luckily, our little friends in Canterlot decided to give Black Jack a map."

Black Jack activated a small screen attached to his leg with a brace. "It's pretty vague, but it's enough to know where we're going."

"And where are we going?" Golden Harp asked.

"Down," Black Jack replied. "A long way down."

And down they went. Several stories down. Deeper and deeper, passing only doors and the occasional fire exit. Soon, they no longer saw any fire exits. That meant that they had reached the levels underground. According to Black Jack's schematics, that meant they were nearing the laboratories.

"Harrow's End prefers to work in secret, making sure that if their research was ever in danger, then they could collapse the building in on itself, burying it from the reach of... 'Prying eyes'."

Black Jack's map brace started to make a repeated pinging noise. He stopped, and looked at his map.

"We're here," he said.

The ponies stopped in front of a door with a simple keypad with a red light embedded in the wall next to it. Black Jack held his map brace up next to it, and typed a small code into the keypad. The red light turned green, and the door clicked. Black Jack grabbed the handle, and signaled for Poker Chip and Spades to move up with him. The two ponies took up positions on either side of the door, and Black Jack pulled it open. Poker Chip and Spaded both moved in through the door, guns at the ready. Black Jack joined them, and all three of them moved into the dark hallway beyond.

"Where's this go?" Marigold asked.

"Buck's own personal laboratory," Dmitri responded. "We don't know what's become of him, but if he is still here, then this is where he is."

"So we just find him, and drag his flank back to H.Q.?" Golden Harp asked.

"If he is alive," Dmitri added. "If he is dead or infected, we are to silence him. You will be following Black Jack and his team. I will be moving further up to intercept Buck if he tries to run. Good luck, you two. And," Dmitri chuckled. "Try not to die."

And with that, he began to make his way back up toward the surface, and was gone. Golden Harp and Marigold didn't say a word.

"Strange fellar, huh?" Marigold said.

"Yeah," Golden Harp replied. "I kinda hope he'll be arrested when we're done with this."

"Ya think Canterlot'll jus' back out on their deal?"

"Honestly? Yeah, I do."

---

Black Jack, Poker Chip, and Spades were already far ahead of Golden Harp and Marigold. They were making their way through the hallway toward Buck's lab. Most of the lights had been knocked out, and all of the work stations and mini-labs were abandoned, paper and old equipment littered the floor.

"Look like they left in a hurry," Poker Chip said.

"Yeah," Spades, who turned out to be a stallion with a deep voice, replied. "How many dead, ya think?"

"All of 'em," Black Jack answered. "Accident report said they haven't seen a soul leave this building. Said there was an infection breaking out."

"Yeah, I remember that part." Poker Chip suddenly froze. "You two hear that?"

Black Jack and Spades both stopped dead.

"Moaning," Spades replied. "Buck?"

"Might be," Black Jack replied.

Spades snorted. "Who's putting the bullet in his skull?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Spades," Black Jack warned. "We don't know if he's infected or not."

A loud bang, like the sound of an iron pipe hitting the floor, rang from down the hall. All three of the ponies raised their guns.

"That don't sound dead to me," Spades said.

"Shut your trap, Spades!" Poker Chip snapped. "Something's coming."

The shadows shifted in front of the three ponies, and a large, burly figure appeared, shrouded in darkness.

"What the buck...?" Spades murmured.

The figure stepped into the light, revealing a pony's body covered in scratches, gunshot wounds, a tattered lab coat, and several pounds of packed, mutated flesh.

---

Marigold and Golden Harp had finally begun to make their way into the hallway, guns still strapped to their sides.

"Ah don't like this," Marigold said, a look of worry plastered on her face. "This's th' creepiest place ah've ever seen."

"Hey, don't worry." Golden Harp smiled. "I just dare something to try to hurt you. Just wait and see what I do to it."

"You ain't helpin," Marigold replied.

The two ponies passed a small hallway of abandoned offices. "What? You don't think I won't hesitate to knock 'em dead?"

"No, that ain't it," Marigold said. "It's jus' you darin' somethin' ta try ta hurt me. Ah don't like it."

Golden Harp just adjusted his bifocals, looking away to hide the look of embarrassment on his face.

"So, Harpy," Marigold said. "What was it ya were gunna ask me when Black Jack butted in?"

Golden Harp was taken by surprise. "Huh? Oh! Um... Well, I was gonna ask... Uh..."

"Aw, c'mon, there ain't no way y'all forgot it."

"Well, um, Marigold... I was gonna ask-"

Golden Harp was cut off by the sound of gunfire coming from up the hall.

"What the-"

He was cut off again as he spotted Black Jack and his team waving their guns in their direction. He heard Black Jack yelling.

"Run! Turn and run, you buckin' idiots! Get outta here!"

Golden Harp snapped to his senses, and grabbed Marigold by the shoulder.

"Let's go!" He yelled.

Golden Harp and Marigold turned and began to gallop back toward the exit of the hallway, trampling fallen lab equipment and broken glass. The light at the end was gone. They had closed the door when they entered to make sure that they weren't followed.

"Well try to hit it at the same time!" Golden Harp yelled. "Maybe we can break it open!"

"What!?" Marigold yelled back. "Are ya outta yer mind!? Ain't no way we can get through that!"

"Got any other ideas!?" Marigold didn't respond. "Then just do it!"

Marigold and Golden Harp charged at the door, then shifted slightly to let their shoulders take the full weight of the force. They collided with the door, and the latch broke, swinging open. Marigold had failed to slow down, and she lost her balance, falling under the railing, and falling down into the darkness below. Golden Harp tried to catch her, but she fell out of his reach, and she disappeared. Golden Harp had lost himself in that moment. His mind wen't blank. He didn't remember where he was. He didn't remember what he was doing. He didn't even remember who he was. All he knew that the one thing he cared about the most had just slipped from his hooves.

Golden Harp didn't come to his senses until there was a hoof on his shoulder, pulling him away from the railing.

"Get outta here, you crazy bucker!" Spades yelled in his face, then shoved him back toward the staircase.

"I can't!" Golden Harp yelled back. "I gotta go back for her!"

"I don't give a buck where your mare friend is," Spades replied, "But if you don't start running, you're gonna go out with her! Now get the buck outta he-"

Spades was cut off as a large figure barged it's way through the door frame, breaking it to pieces, and swung out with a large, crooked pipe. It connected with Spade's side, knocking him away, and throwing him down into the darkness below.

Golden Harp stared in awe. He barely had time to react before the creature grabbed him in its massive front hooves. Golden Harp tried to struggle, but the creature pressed him so hard that he couldn't breathe. His vision began to fade in and out from black, only for him to see the nightmare of a pony squeezing away his life in front of him.

Suddenly, something that sounded like faint gunshots came from behind the creature. It roared in anger, and threw Golden Harp away. Golden Harp crashed against the rail of the catwalk, and with the strength he had left, held on for all he was worth. Through his fading vision, he saw the creature facing off with Black Jack, Poker Chip, and a pony he didn't recognize. He was about the size of Spades, with a gas mask with red lenses, a rounded helmet, and a full body suit of bulletproof material lined with pouches and a weapon sling.

Golden Harp didn't have time to think before he let go of the railing, but he did manage to have one last thought before falling into the darkness below.

"I've seen that pony somewhere before..." Golden Harp thought.

"Somewhere..."

---

"Fate doesn't pick its victims. It just picks their punishment." - Delta 727

*Transmission Ended*