• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 1,110 Views, 34 Comments

A Valuble Lesson - th3l0stch1ld



This is the story of how I somehow ended up living the life of my oc in a weird chain of events and learn to live a happy life. Could this ever go wrong?

  • ...
5
 34
 1,110

The Trip to a New Home

The train ride was nearly silent, but I didn’t know if that was normal or if it was just me making it awkward. The only noise I heard was Pinkie Pie singing something. I really wasn’t paying attention though. I sat with my head propped on my hoof looking out the window, watching the scenery go by. No one was even trying to speak to me, they weren’t trying to be social, and that was just the way I liked it.

“So…Amor, how do you like Equestria so far?”

“It’s a nice place. Much brighter than I am used to, but I like it here.”

“That’s good.”

“So Amor,” Rainbowdash cut it. “Why do you look so much like the queen of the changelings?”

“Rainbow!”

“What?” Well of course I knew the answer, but how would the truth sound? Oh yeah, I’m a human and Celestia said I could look like whatever I imagined, so I chose this.

“I don’t know. I guess this is just how I look.”

“Okay…and why does a changeling have a cutie mark?”

I saw this as a chance to have some fun. “What makes you think a changeling can’t have a cutie mark?”

“Well, uh, none of the others had any.”

“Do you know anything about changelings?”

“Well, no, but…wait a minute.” She must have seen the smirk on my face, because she grinned too. “You’re just as clueless as me, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, pretty much. I have no clue why I have one, I just do.”

“Alright, good one.” I replaced my head on my hoof as I looked out the window.

“So we’re going to Ponyville?”

“Yes. There is an empty house in town, and Celestia said you are to stay there for the time being. It’s a little unfurnished, but there’s a bed there and it’s a place to stay. Sorry, but that’s all there is for you.”

“It’s fine, I’m not going to be there often anyways. So long as I can sleep there I’ll be fine.”

“That’s…good, I guess.”

“Don’t worry about me.”

“Amor, we want to be your friends, and that’s going to be hard if you don’t let us.” I looked around at them sitting around me. I saw it in their faces, they did mean that, but it would take some time to adjust.

“I understand that you want to help, and I hope we can be friends soon, but it will take some time for me to get used to the area. Eventually when I settle in I’ll work on friends. Now if you’ll please excuse me, I need some sleep.” I let out a heavy yawn as I crossed my hooves and put my head in my lap. I was out in an instant.
……….

By the time I woke up, it was already dark. Everyone was gone except for Rainbowdash, who lazily had her head propped on her hoof.

“Where is everyone?”

She immediately brought herself to attention. “Finally awake. Everypony is in the next cart asleep.”

“Why are they in the next cart?”

“There’s beds in there, and Rarity needs her beauty sleep.”

“Waitwaitwait, there’s beds?”

“Yeah, sorry bout’ that. We meant to tell you, but you were already asleep.”

“So why are you in here?”

“Someone needs to watch you, and you seem kinda cool so far.”

“Only kinda?” We both got a small chuckle out of it. “So when are we going to reach Ponyville?”

“I don’t keep track of that kind of stuff. We get there when we get there.”

“Sounds like a good answer to me.”

“I like you. You’re cool for a changeling. But no one’s as cool as me.”

“If you say so.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“Nope. I know I’m nowhere close, but there’s gotta be competition.”

“Yeah right!”

“What about the Wonderbolts?”

She stopped, her mouth hanging open in thought. “Alright, you beat me.”

“It’s not a matter of win or lose, more of just outsmarting.”

“Ugh, none of that philosophy stuff. I can barely understand Twilight half the time.”

A slight grin was spreading across my face. I could feel it, but I didn’t want it there. “Well, I guess we should get some sleep, unless you have something else you want to say.”

“No,” as if the simple thought brought it on, she yawned. “I really am tired. I should have gotten some sleep a while ago. C’mon.” Rainbowdash trotted to the end of the car, and I felt obligated to follow. She stopped before entering and put an ear to the door. “It sounds quiet in there, so I think they’re already sleeping. Try and be quiet.” She slowly swung the door open, and sure enough, the cart was dark, no noise at all. She slipped into one of the nearby beds, pointing to an open one nearby as she pulled the divider between her and the rest. I looked around and found that the one she indicated to was one of the few that was left open, so I had very few options. Even if I did, what difference would it make? A bed is a bed, and so long as no one else is in it, it works. Climbing in, I pulled the divider over to block my view from the rest of the train, listening to the sound of the train thundering over the tracks.

I finally had a moment to think about the events that have happened today. I was brought to a different world through a portal in a poster in my old room to live a happy life. So many things would have to change. No more school, no more of the same old bullies, no more of getting to see my crush, and best of all, no more of my family. I couldn’t help but smile at the thought. No more days listening to my father tell me how much he hated me for ruining his life. I like this place already.
……….

“Hey! HEY! Wake up! C’mon, you’ve been out longer than me, you have to get up!” The same as any other day in my old life. My eyes slowly crept open, temporarily blinded by the reintroduction of light to them. Everything was a blur, as it always was when I woke up, so colors were mixed with everything in the area. The first thing I saw was something right in front of my face, something sky blue with a rainbow on top. At first, I had no idea where I was. Did everything really happen? It had to of been a dream. There is just no possible way that I was in Equestria. I tried to wave away what I thought was just a figment of my imagination, but found it extremely hard to move my hand. In fact, it was so hard it felt like it wasn’t even there…wait a minute. When I held my ‘hand’ in front of my face, just close enough that it wasn’t that blurred, I saw only a solid black stump filled with holes. There was no palm. There were no fingers. My eyes finally focused in on my arm to reveal a black hoof. It was then that I decided that this wasn’t a dream. My eyes focused on the rest of the colorful world around me, which was just a train car filled with beds at the time.

Standing nearly a foot away was Rainbowdash, still trying to wake me up. “Finally! You do realize it’s almost noon, right?”

“Then you woke me up early.”

“Early!? When do you wake up?”

“About two. I don’t know why, but I always sleep til’ two when I go undisturbed.”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, when I woke up, everypony else was gone, so I think they’re in the next car. You can sleep if you want, but I tried.”

“I just need a few minutes. Don’t worry, I’ll be out in a little.”

She rolled her eyes as she walked to the door. “Whatever. We’ll be waiting. I’m sure everypony wants to talk to you.”

I fell back in the bed. “Yeah, great.” I heard the door click shut as she left, giving me the silence I wanted. I always sit in bed a few minutes to clear up what happened to me last night and the day before. Dreams? None. Fights? None. New friends? Guess I can check that off the to do list. Getting sent through a portal to an alternate universe and turned into a pony? Strangely enough, I’m somewhat happy about that. Alright, that sounds like about it. As I sat forward, every bone in my back snapped and cracked, settling back into place. Shaking off the drowsiness I looked at myself in the window, making out my reflection. Large bags were under my eyes, as expected. I stood up and everything blurred again, almost making me lose my balance. When everything finally came into focus, I made my way to the door, expecting the worst. But strangely, when I opened it, they were welcoming.

“Amor! You’re finally up. It takes actual skill to outsleep Rainbowdash.”

“Sugarcube, you must not work much, cuz I gotta be up atta crack a dawn every mornin’.”

“No, not really.”

“Well al change at. I wouldn’t mind the help if you’d be willin’.”

“Sure. If you need the help, I’ll do what I can.”

“Much appreciated.”

“So Amor, if you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?” Twilight asked me. I panicked a little.

“I’m…not from around here. Sorry, I don’t really like talking about my past, but I’ll answer the best I can.”

“Alright…any siblings?”

“One brother that I never got along with.”

“Parents?”

“They never cared for me, and I learned to do the same.”

“I…I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t be. I’ve made my mistakes, and they are all my fault.”

I heard a whisper-like voice from behind me. “Don’t say that. Everything can’t be your fault.” Fluttershy was low in her seat, trying to hide from plain site.

I let out a comforting smile. “Thank you.” The train jerked to a stop.

“WE’RE HERE!” Pinkie Pie was bouncing up and down the train car waiting for the door to open. When they finally did, she shot out like a bullet, everyone else slowly trickling out behind her. I ended up following Rarity to my new house, since everyone else had to go their separate ways.

“This is your new place, darling. I’m just a little down the road from here in the boutique. Fluttershy is on the edge of the forest, just follow the path. Pinkie Pie lives in Sugarcube Corner, the bakery down the road. Twilight lives in the library, it’s the tree on the other side of town, can’t miss it. Applejack lives with her family on their farm, which you can see from here.” She pointed to a small red barn in the distance. “And Rainbowdash lives in that cloud.” She pointed to a large cloud shaped like a castle, a light blue pegasus just landing on it.

“Thank you.” She flipped her hair as she walked away. When I entered the house, I realized that unfurnished was an understatement. It was a large circular room, no interior walls. In the center of the room was the bed, but there was nothing else in the room. It was shaped like a perfect dome, the circular walls were painted pink. There was one continuous window that went around the entire house/room that let the sun touch most of the floor. It was barren, but it would work for now. The day was still plenty early, and I didn’t have anything to do, so I guess now would be a good time to start on a lesson.