• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 746 Views, 6 Comments

A Charred Stone - Priceless911



A terrible tragedy and an unfortunate loss left this mare with nothing but a heart full of carelessness, anger and darkness. however watch as a stallion who fights for Nightmare Moon, polishes this Gem and brings her back from her misery and hate.

  • ...
1
 6
 746

Ch16 The Morale of Friend and Foe

As I continued trotting by the combined formation of archers and pike ponies, I smiled as I could only admire the strategic order that Commander Bolt had placed them in the formation as I trotted to the front of the formation and stood next to him as I looked down the battlefield at the large army of celestial crusaders that stood on the other side. Knowing that it had been three long months since our last fight on what used to be a snow covered wasteland, I could only feel disappointed that the tall grass which was losing its spring tint and changing to its summer, was about to be trampled by me and the rest of the Nightmare Legion’s soldiers as Commander Bolt looked at me and smiled, “Pink… is this a special occasion Lieutenant?”

Knowing that Commander Bolt was talking about my bandanna, I smiled as I looked back at him, “A little, I just felt like today was special that’s all.”
Commander Bolt smiled, “that wouldn’t be because I’m leading both our soldiers for this battle now is it?”
I tried to prevent myself from blushing as I replied with sarcasm, “No… it’s because I’ll be this close when I show you just how well my soldier will outperform yours.”
Knowing I may be acting a little too cocky, I hid my worry as Commander Bolt laughed and replied, “well then I look forward to this, just remember, this time both armies are about fifteen hundred soldiers. So I hope you will keep in mind that each one will be relying on you.”

I smiled sarcastically as I looked at the large formation of mixed soldiers and held up my bow. With that, every archer in the herd cheered in motivation for my leadership as I lowered it back down and replied, “I think I’ll be fine sir.”
Commander Bolt smiled with confidence as he looked at Lieutenant Snow and called, “Snow! Ready to move forward!”
Lieutenant Snow looked back as he called, “Understood commander! Soldiers, to battle!”
As Lieutenant Snow’s soldiers began moving forward, I started replaying the battle plan in my mind.

First, Lieutenant Snow would split his formation into two groups and assault the enemy from both the far left and far right flanks in hopes of funneling them into the center. Then with my and Commander Bolt’s combined forces, we would thin them out in the bottom of the funnel while Captain Storm tracked down and assaulted the enemy Colonel from above. Sadly, we weren’t lucky enough to be facing Commander Mist in this fight, but since Commander Bolt and my soldiers were merged for this assault, I felt confident that we had the upper hoof in this fight… although we did outnumber the enemy by almost three hundred soldiers, so if we did lose, it would be a deadly blow to our soldier’s morale. Nevertheless, I was confident in the plan as Commander Bolt and I watched Lieutenant Snow’s soldiers split into two formations and make their way down the battlefield.

As they continued, we could see both the front ranks and pegasi forces from the enemy army as they began moving towards us from across the battlefield. Seeing this, Commander Bolt looked at me and spoke, “Lieutenant? Let me know when they are in range.”
I smiled as I replied, “for my archers, they already are sir… I promise you that.”
I could tell that he was a little surprised that they were already within my reach since they were about three hundred meters away. Either way, he looked down the battlefield as he spoke, “then I’ll leave your decision to you.”
Nodding my head I raised my bow as I felt the wind around me and called, “Soldiers! Make ready!”
Hearing my order, my archers who were mixed amongst the ponies behind me stood on their hind hooves as they each readied their bows and stood by for my instruction. After feeling the wind I raised my bow and took aim as I replied, “we have a tail-wind! Twenty degrees up, three degrees right! Ready!... wait w-what?” I immediately lowered my bow as I turned to my soldiers, “HOLD FIRE!!! STAND DOWN!!!”

Quickly adhering to their orders, my archers lowered their bows as I looked at Commander Bolt and spoke, “S-sir?...”
Commander Bolt nodded his head, “I see it… but… why is he?...”
Commander Bolt quickly started thinking to himself as I looked back down the battlefield at what was happening. Shortly after Lieutenant Snow’s soldiers split in two, both formations broke off from each other, but shortly after the force that was making its way to the right of the battlefield quickly shifted its movement to the center, leaving the right side of the battlefield completely exposed as the advancing enemy formations quickly adjusted to the action and started making its way towards our right flank. Quickly reacting to the action, Commander Bolt flew into the air as he called, “STORM! HERE!”
As Captain Storm broke away from his pegasi forces who were standing by in the trenches behind us, I continued to watch as Storm met Commander Bolt and quickly talked about the strategy.

When they finished, Commander Bolt flew back down to me as Captain Storm called from the sky, “Soldiers! Take to the sky and follow my lead! Protect the command force!”
With that order, Captain Storm’s soldiers flew out of the trenches and linked up in the sky as they hovered overhead in a box formation that would surround my and the commander’s joint formation if it were on the ground. Seeing that made me wonder, as Commander Bolt landed and spoke, “Lieutenant… change in plan. We are moving forward on the right now.”
Although I knew the risks of pushing the enemy to the far right of the battled I trusted the commander’s orders as I nodded and replied, “Understood sir.” I turned to my soldiers, “Archers! Lower bows and make ready for orders!”

With that said, my soldiers put away their readied arrow as they began placing their bows in stowing position and waited as I looked at Commander Bolt and spoke, “on your order, commander.”
Commander Bolt nodded his head as he readied his shield and called “Forward! March!”
Acknowledging the order, everypony in the formation began marching forward in step leaving our armor and weapons to chime with each step as if it were a beat in a parade. As we continued marching, Commander Bolt shifted the direction he was marching as I and the rest of the formation followed with Captain Storm still formed up above us. After a while, our formation had made its way to the far right of the battlefield as we watched the enemy army as it curved around Snow’s soldiers before making its way straight towards us.

With the enemy’s left flank fighting off Snow’s soldiers and the rest of them moving towards us, Commander Bolt called “Company! Halt!”
With that order we all stopped as Commander Bolt called next, “All soldiers! Make ready!”
With that order, two things happened; first all the pike ponies in the formation readied their spears by pointing them forward in a position to defend against charging enemy soldiers. Then my archers who stood between the spears, readied an arrow as they laid it across their bows and awaited their next order. After that Commander Bolt looked to me and spoke, “Lieutenant… I’ll let you call the order for your archers… but only release when I say so. In the meantime… ready them to fire.”
Understanding the order I asked, “What distance sir?...”
Commander Bolt replied as he looked at the approaching enemy, “One meter…”

At first I thought I heard him wrong as I turned to look at him in confusion, but when I saw the seriousness in his expression I turned back to the enemy as I called, “Archers! One degree up!... Zero degrees straight forward!”
I could tell that there was a little hesitation between the times that I called the order to the time that they began drawing their bows by the sound of the slow creaking in their weapons. Nevertheless, I ignored it as I readied my bow and spoke, “Awaiting the order commander.”
Nodding his head Commander Bolt didn’t say anything as he stood still staring at the enemy soldiers as they slowly moved closer. Still holding still I and the rest of the formation of soldiers held our ground as we awaited our order from Commander Bolt.

As we all stood anxiously waiting, I noticed that as we waited on the ground, Captain Storm and his soldiers hovered above and waited the same way we were as Commander Bolt continued holding his ground with a serious and focused stare as the enemy edged closer and closer with each second passed. Slowly the enemy marched closer and closer as the sound of the fighting soldiers in the distance echoed through the area. As the enemy continued approaching Commander Bolt kept his silence as he continued watching them. Finally as the enemy got within one hundred feet of Commander Bolt and I, one particular soldier in their formation yelled, “Soldiers! CHARGE!!!”
After that order was given, the enemy soldiers started rushing towards us as Commander Bolt smiled slightly, “got you…”

Waiting till the soldiers were a little closer, Commander Bolt yelled at the top of his lungs, “NOW!!!”
With that order two things happened; First Captain Storm and his pegasi soldiers began diving down onto the enemy formation while at the same time, I released my arrow as I called, “RELEASE!!!”
With that, hundreds of arrows flew by and over our heads as my soldiers released their arrows and sent them flying into the front few ranks of the enemy soldiers. With most of the first rank of enemy soldiers falling to the ground, the second rank started climbing over their fallen as Commander Bolt readied his shield and called, “pike ponies! Push and hold the line!”
With that order, all the pike ponies standing in our joined formation pushed past my archers and gathered right behind Commander Bolt and I as Commander Bolt looked at me and spoke, “lieutenant? Fall back behind my troops and continue the assault.”
Looking at Commander Bolt I nodded my head, “Understood sir.”

Commander Bolt Raised his shield as he charged forward leaving him and the charging enemies to clash in a cluster of swinging swords, pikes and flying sparks from those weapons clashing. Shortly after, I looked at my soldiers and called, “Engage with supporting volleys! Watch your target and engage at will!”
With that order, all archers began choosing and releasing arrows at their own chosen targets as I drew my bow and focused my arrows on ponies attacking the commander. While I faced ponies on the ground, Captain Storm and his assailing pegasi focused on neutralizing any archers in the area leaving both my soldiers and I to fight without distractions. As the fighting continued, the enemy officer who called for their charge started falling back as he and a select few of his soldiers tried to retreat to safety. As this happened, Commander Bolt looked at me and called, “Lieutenant! The enemy officer is retreating! Cut off his escape!”

Knowing what he meant I replied, “Yes commander!” I turned to my archers, “All archers! Make ready for attack! Thirty degrees up! Ten degrees left! Release now!”
All my soldiers quickly ceased their assault as they synced back up and released arrows in the exact trajectory that I called. As I watched the first volley fly over the troops and towards the empty land that the enemy officer was running for, I called again, “Repeat! Same angle! Release!”
Following my order, my soldiers readied and released a second volley at the same angle, however before all of my archers could fire, something happened that caused me to quickly turn to them, “CEASE FIRE!!! STOP!!!”
Quickly following my order, my archers slowly lowered their bows, but I was too late since half of them had already released their arrows into an area where Lieutenant Snow’s frontal forces where unexpectedly marching into.

Quickly looking back into the battle, I watched as my heart sank, when the first volley of flying arrows, landed and pierced the ranks of the withdrawing enemy soldiers… and… Lieutenant Snows assaulting forces. When that first volley of arrows fell, my heart nearly stopped. I… I couldn’t believe what I had just done as Commander Bolt saw the attack before turning to me to see if I was still firing. When he saw I wasn’t, he turned back to the enemy as the part of the second volley that was fired, did the same as the first as it fell onto the enemy and allied soldiers, killing all in its wake. Pausing at the unbelievable incident that I was at fault for, I looked at Commander Bolt as he sneered at the area in anger, before turning to me and calling, “Lieutenant! Continue close support! Cover me till I reach their officer!”
Nodding at his order I replied, “Understood! Archers Rea…”

Before I could finish, a blue arrow went up in the area where my last two volleys landed, as I changed my orders and called, “Soldiers! Cease attack! Send up signal to end the battle!”
Following my order, my archers lowered their bows as one of them drew a blue signal arrow and lit it before sending it up. Not knowing of the ending signal, Commander Bolt looked at me and called, “Lieutenant! What ar…” He looked to see the airborne signal as he reiterated, “All soldiers cease the fighting now! All enemy soldiers! Lay down your weapons and surrender or be subject to execution!”
With both the distant and close signal now completely apparent to both armies, everypony slowly lowered their weapons as the roar of the battle slowly died.

After the fighting came to a complete stop, Commander Bolt turned and started approaching me with an angry expression on his face. Knowing that I was most likely in trouble I held my ground as I tried to speak first, “Commander I...”
Commander Bolt raised his hoof to silence me as he spoke with a voice that seemed so enraged while at the same time trying to seem calm, “lieutenant… I will leave captain Storm to see to the care of the casualties and the enemy’s full surrender… in the meantime, I want you to find Lieutenant Snow and meet me in my quarters now. Not later, not in a few minutes right… now. How clear am I?...”
Commander Bolt’s voice had never seem so enraged before, so with worry for what he would do, I replied, “Cristal clear sir.”
With what seemed to be a forced calm expression Commander Bolt replied, “Good… I’ll see you then.”

With that, Commander Bolt continued trotting through the allied formations back to the camp as I looked down the battlefield towards Lieutenant Snow’s soldiers. As I began trotting to them I eventually found Lieutenant Snow as he stood over the body of what looked to be the enemy officer. As I approached, he looked at me and spoke, “ah if it isn’t the victor of today’s battle. Congratulations on the victory lieutenant.”
I gave him a confused look, “victory?... what are you talking about?”
Lieutenant Snow pointed down at the enemy officer as I saw what he meant. Looking at the enemy leader, I could see an arrow sticking out the back of his head easily telling me what it was that killed him. As I looked at the arrow, Lieutenant Snow smiled, “As I said, congratulations Miss Stone.”
I looked back at him as I replied, “well Commander Bolt didn’t sound as pleased… in fact he wants us to see him in his quarters… right now.”

Lieutenant Snow nodded his head as he replied, “And… what of the needs of my soldiers?”
I replied, “Commander Bolt said he would put Storm on that. Meanwhile it would be a good idea that we follow his order on this… he didn’t sound too pleased with your actions during this battle… although I’m sure he was angry at me too.”
Lieutenant Snow nodded his head, “I see… I suppose my decision to change my actions did seem ill equipped, nevertheless they did lead to a victorious outcome, and I would guess that the good commander would commend me for such victorious results.”
Knowing that he was far from right, I just decided to ignore the comment as I replied, “Well then let’s go see him. He is waiting for us in his quarters.”

As we made our way out of the battlefield it was easy to see that Captain Storm had already coordinated with both medics and the rest of the soldiers to gather and help the wounded from both sides as they skimmed through the battlefield and tried to identify the soldiers that could be saved. Nevertheless we ignored Storm’s actions as we made our way to Commander Bolt’s Quarters. When we finally arrived, the opening on the tent was propped open as Commander Bolt stood inside and pointed to a table in the middle of the tent, “Take a seat… both of you.”
Hearing the anger in his voice, Lieutenant Snow and I entered the tent and sat at the table as I tried to speak, “You… wanted to see u…”
“Quiet…”
Though he didn’t yell it, the tone of his voice made it seem like he did as I shut my mouth and sat quietly as he spoke, “you two will wait here till the medic comes… then we will get down to the matter at hoof. Till then… I don’t want to hear a word from either of you.”

It was easy to see that he was still angry, so both Snow and I didn’t say anything as we nodded our heads and sat quietly in awkward silence. After about ten minutes of tension filled silence, the medic entered the tent as she spoke, “Commander Bolt… I have the number you wanted although it isn’t accurate si…”
“Just give it to me sergeant… how many soldiers is it?”
The medic hesitated as if she was the one he was mad at as she replied, “F-five sir…”
Commander Bolt nodded his head, “Five?... that seems a little low considering.”
The medic replied, “The rest’s injuries aren’t that severe sir. Of the twenty nine, only five died or can’t be saved.”
Commander Bolt nodded his head calmly, “Understood, thank you sergeant… by the way, could you close the tent on your way out?”
The medic nodded her head as she replied, “Of course sir.”

After the tent was closed, Commander Bolt trotted to the table but didn’t sit down as he spoke, “Five soldiers… do you know what that number is Stone?”
I shook my head no as he looked at Snow and continued, “How about you? Any ideas since you seem to be chuck full of them?”
Lieutenant Snow shook his head as Commander Bolt replied, “That is the number of allied soldiers killed today… not in total of course… but by allied arrows… your arrows Stone.”
Hearing this I tried to defend myself, “Sir I wa…”
“I’m talking lieutenant… so I would advise you to shut it before my patience is completely gone.”
Knowing that I overstepped my boundary I looked down in shame as Commander Bolt continued, “now… five solders doesn’t seem like much in the total aspect… but do you have any idea what friendly casualties can do to an army’s morale?”

Knowing that we shouldn’t answer, Snow and I held our silence as Commander Bolt replied, “It kills it. Now our soldiers… MY soldiers, don’t even know if they can trust our own anymore. And to make matters worse, twenty nine were hit by friendly arrows, so now the soldiers who didn’t die will be afraid to turn their backs to their own friends. And whose fault do you think that is?...”
Knowing that it would still be best to keep quiet, I continued to hang my head in shame as I slowly raised my hoof to answer that I was at fault. But after I did Commander Bolt shook his head, “Wrong… you were merely doing what you were ordered to…” He looked at Snow “which is more than I can say for you… Snow.”
Trying to defend himself Lieutenant Snow spoke, “now I assu…”
“Shut it… Snow, I have put up with this for a long time, and through it all I’ve ignored a lot since we have history together… but today, you’ve gone too far. Today you changed your frontal attack strategy, then you brought it to close on the rear bringing your soldier right into Lieutenant Stone’s line of fire. Honestly… I’m at a loss for words. Now what was it that caused you to change your tactic? Tell me why you killed five of your soldiers today when it could have been avoided?”

Lieutenant Snow lowered his head in shame as he replied, “I… commander… my actions weren’t intended to disrespect you commander… I was merely trying to shift my forces when I saw the enemy reacting sooner than anticipated.”
Commander Bolt gave him an unamused stare as he replied, “If the actions in battle were to shift out of control, then I would have given you the order to change tactics. You don’t have the right, NOR THE ATHORITY TO CHANGE TACTICS WITHOUT MY ORDER!!!”
I have never heard Commander Bolt yell with such anger before, and from the look on Lieutenant Snow’s face, neither has he. As Commander Bolt gave Lieutenant Snow an angry look he spoke with a tone that sent chills up both our spines, “Snow… I want you to go see to your soldiers and give me a count on how many you lost today… and when you’re done… you will wait from me to give you your punishment. Right now I’m considering either permanent demotion or discharge… but right now I need to calm my nerves so I’d suggest that for the time being, you start deciding your next course… of employment.”

Lieutenant Snow stood up as he bowed like a noble, “yes sir… I… I understand, and… I will not argue with your decision… as a noble… It would bring disrespect to my family name… to deny the responsibility of my actions…”
Standing there with a sad expression on his face, Lieutenant Snow continued keeping himself silent as Commander Bolt sighed with an annoyed expression before turning away, “you two are dismissed… go see to your soldiers and report back to me as soon as you get a casualty count.”
As he said that Lieutenant Snow rose form his bow and turned to the door, “Yes commander… as… you wish.”
With that said, Lieutenant Snow trotted out of the tent with nothing said from Commander Bolt. When he was gone I stood up and spoke, “Commander… permission to speak freely sir?”
Commander Bolt didn’t reply, he didn’t even turn to acknowledge me, so taking it as a yes, I continued, “Sir… I understand your anger… but… should you really be so hard on him?”
“Lieutenant…”
“It’s not like he intentionally jabbed my arrows into his soldier chest. What happened was merely a…”
“Lieutenant! Enough!”

I silenced myself, as Commander Bolt sighed and turned to look at me, “it’s not so much that he disobeyed orders, or even that he lost those five to your arrows… but there is a much bigger picture here.”
Overstepping my place a little I replied, “and that is?...”
Commander Bolt sighed as he continued, “Lieutenant… how did you feel when you watched those arrows fall on our allies today?”
When he said that I started thinking as I tried to reply, “I… well…”
Commander Bolt replied for me, “It felt like those arrows hit you… didn’t it? For a split second it felt like it was your heart the arrows pierced… didn’t it?”
Not wanting to admit he was right, I held my silence as he replied, “a soldier’s confidence can be as strong as steel… but his morale… can be as weak as glass. Those soldiers who died had friends who survived. They and the soldiers who lived will have a hard time looking at you or your archers without forgetting the five who didn’t. How would you feel… to know I killed an ally and turn your back to me trying to trust that I’ll protect you in battle… it’s pretty hard isn’t it?”

Understanding his point, I hung my head in disappointment as he continued, “Stone… morale is a fragile thing… everypony thinks that it’s I who lead these soldiers to victory, but it’s the other way around. It’s they who push forward, and protect us while we bark orders. The least we can do, is fight as hard as they do, and show them that their loyalty isn’t wasted, on officers that don’t put up the effort.”
Feeling a little offended for Snow I replied, “You’re talking about Lieutenant Snow… aren’t you?”
Commander Bolt sighed and replied, “Do you think I was?”
I replied with an annoyed tone, “Commander… I understand what you mean… but didn’t you just prove your own point?” Commander Bolt gave me a curious look as I continued, “Sir, if what you’re saying is true, then you’re breaking Snow’s morale as you speak.”
Commander Bolt sighed, “Snow made his bed, and if he continued down this road he would surely end up dead… I’m only pulling him out before he digs too deep.”

Hearing what I could only assume is an excuse I stomped my hoof as I replied, “Sir! Who are you trying to convince, him or you?”
Commander Bolt gave me an irritated look as he replied, “You…”
Feeling like I was talking out of place I replied, “Sorry sir… but… you know it isn’t entirely his fault. Lieutenant Snow is a Noble after all… having thing handed to him on a silver platter should be kind of a reflex to him. But war isn’t the life for a noble pony… and yet he still fights… why would you think that is?”
Commander Bolt looked at me as he replied, “Because his family used to be soldiers for Chancellor Puddinghead back when Equestria was founded. So he wants to keep the honor of his family by fighting for it.”
Nodding my head I replied, “but… if you will excuse my saying sir… where is the honor for fighting with traitors to Princess Celestia?”

At that moment Commander Bolt sighed as he turned away, “Lieutenant… I do believe I dismissed you already, so I would advise you to see to your soldiers and not worry about Snow.”
As I turned to the door, I replied with a depressing tone, “Oh… I… I understand sir… thanks for letting me speak freely.”
With that said, I turned away as he held his silence, but before I exited the tent, I spoke, “if it’s any consolation commander… I’m fighting too. And… honor has nothing to do with it… not anymore.”
Commander Bolt didn’t reply, instead he held his silence as I left the tent and went to see how my soldiers were doing.

As I trotted, I could see that most of the soldiers who survived the battle were rushing around to collect the wounded as Captain Storm trotted to me and spoke, “Lieutenant, I need to ask you a favor.”
I nodded my head as he continued, “I need you to round up all the surrendering Celestial Crusaders and bring them to the center of the camp. Make sure they have left their weapons at the armory tent and be sure to keep an eye out. They may have surrendered, but that doesn’t mean they will all go quietly.”
I nodded my head but still had to ask, “Okay… but I thought the enemy was supposed to leave following a battle?”
Storm shook his head, “only if the enemy surrenders. If their commander falls they are at the mercy of Commander Bolt. But don’t worry about them, Commander Bolt isn’t one to kill anypony who isn’t willing to fight.”

I nodded my head as I replied, “That makes sense… so… have you seen Lieutenant Snow lately?”
Captain Storm sighed in disappointment, “Snow’s in… a dark place right now… I think it would be best to leave him be for now. From the way he was acting, the commander tore really hard into him this time.”
I nodded my head, “he did… I personally think the commander went too far with this… but I can’t blame him. Today’s victory seems to be closer to a loss when I look at what happened during the battle. I’m starting to wonder if… Commander Bolt’s decision on this could be a bit too harsh.”

Captain Storm sighed, “It’s not your place to decide anything for him. As his officer, your only role is to follow orders and move on.”
At first I felt like I was saying something wrong to Storm as I hung my head in disappointment, but before I could reply, Captain Storm continued, “Although… that’s what a superior like me is supposed to say. If you ask me… as a friend. I think it’s common to feel a little worried but the commander’s decision is something that can only be swayed with advice.” He gave a smug smile, “In the meantime, I’ll try talking to the commander to see if he will let up a little, you know… as a friend.”
Feeling a little unusual, I looked at Storm and replied, “A… friend?”
Storm smiled as if I had told a joke, “of course, we fought together in in The Griffin Kingdoms, and even cheated death once or twice. And don’t think you’re not one of us too. You’ve been here for a long time now and through all of it you fought beside us just as he did. So if it were you on the chopping block, don’t think I wouldn’t say my two bits on the matter, just as Snow would.”

Looking at the pleasant smile on Captain Storm’s face I smiled, “Thanks sir… I hope your effort to help goes better than mine.”
Captain Storm nodded his head, “Then it should be easy if you talked to him already. Just remember that when the enemy are gathered send a soldier to tell the commander so he can come out and instruct them.”
I nodded my head as I replied, “understood sir.”
As Captain Storm trotted off, I started thinking to myself about what he said. In the orphanage, I never really had what you would call a friend, unless you count those markings on the ground. But now that I think about it, Commander Bolt, Lieutenant Snow, and Captain Storm are the closest I ever had to friends. And if Captain Storm says it… then maybe we are friends. Smiling at this thought, I turned towards the battlefield as I started trotting to it to gather the celestial crusaders up like I was ordered to.

A few hours later, I stood in front of the large army of enemy soldiers as Commander Bolt came into the area and flew into the air so he could address them all, “Attention Crusaders! As you know, my name is Commander Star Bolt, Commander of the Nightmare Army and second in command of the Nightmare Legion! As you know, by the laws of war set down by Princess Celestia herself, you are now Prisoners to the Nightmare Legion… However… We don’t take prisoners.”
Hearing this made most of the soldiers nervous as Commander Bolt continued, “That being said, I know that you did nothing more then followed orders set down by your princess, and her commander… Who… didn’t face me himself today. Therefore, I won’t take prisoners, but I won’t execute soldiers who are unwilling to fight either. So you all have one option! Remove your armor… and leave. You can go back to Canterlot, you can go home, you could even leave Equestria for all I care. Whatever you do, just keep this in mind… today you fought with great effort. And that’s all Commander Mist would ask of you just as it was all he asked of me. With that, you have my permission to remove your armor and leave on your own. Though I am not your commander, I’ll make this order anyway. Crusaders, you are dismissed!”

At that moment, something unexpected happened. A large number of the Celestial Crusaders stood at attention as they replied, “SIR!”
I could only stand there with a shocked expression as Commander Bolt landed next to me and spoke, “Lieutenant, I sent Captain Storm to get Snow so just wait here till they arrive. I want to speak with all three of you.”
Although his voice was much calmer then the last time I talked to him, he still made me feel nervous about what he decided so I nodded my head as I replied, “Understood sir.”
“Commander Bolt!”
Both Commander Bolt and I looked to the side as a Celestial Crusader started trotting towards us as a few of our soldiers stopped him and held him back, “Let me go! I have to ta…”
Commander Bolt spoke up, “let him speak…”

The two soldiers released the enemy as he stood at attention and spoke, “Sir… do you remember me?”
Commander Bolt nodded his head, “I do… you were a lieutenant under my command before the war. Now wearing a shiny major’s insignia.”
The soldier nodded his head, “Yes sir, a lot has changed since you left… but… I still remember those days as if they were yesterday.”
Commander Bolt smiled, “As do I… is there anything you wanted to say to me?”
The soldier nodded his head, “yes… I wanted to know why you started this war… I want to know why you’re fighting.”
Commander Bolt nodded his head, “Soldier… I have my reasons for fighting just as you do. Just know that I’m fighting for my reasons and I will never stop till I’m finished. Just as… you should never give up on yours.”

The soldiers nodded his head as he stood at attention and saluted, “As expected… a broken answer. Nevertheless, I wish you luck in battle sir, I hope that when this is over, I can buy you a drink… especially since I owe you for releasing us.”
Commander Bolt smiled as he replied, “Sure… I’d like that.”
Dropping his salute, the soldier smiled as he turned away and trotted back to his soldiers. As the major reached his formation, I kinda expected them to give him a dirty look for saluting the enemy commander… but they didn’t, instead they smiled and welcomed him back as if he did nothing wrong. It was odd to me, enemy soldiers treating Commander Bolt with such respect. It was unlike the cruel treatment that we got when we captured that scout a few months ago, or even the looks we got from the group of scouts who found us the day I got back from that mountain. This… was a sign of respect. A sign that the commander who gave me orders is a commander worth respecting. Is this what happens when the enemy’s morale is handled with care? Or… is it respect left over from the time that he was the night commander for Princess Luna?

Whatever it was, I put it to the back of my mind as Lieutenant Snow and Captain Storm approached and saluted. When he saw them Commander Bolt stood at attention and spoke, “at ease, Snow… before I pass your punishment, I want you to tell me one thing… what’s on your mind right now?... how do you feel about your previous actions?”
Lieutenant Snow sighed as he replied, “Commander… I feel at a loss of words. No manner of plea or groveling could ever bear forgiveness for neither my action nor intentions which I regret to say… were entirely selfish. However… My pride as a noble stallion must be upheld, as I accept any and all repercussions of my actions.”
Commander Bolt smiled, “Good… nevertheless, your punishment has been changed.”
Snow Looked surprised, “Changed sir?”
“Yes… although I had a list of problem that stretched from today’s incident all the way back to the start of the war… your brother and sister in arms have given me too many reasons to overlook almost all of them… however… there will still be repercussions… so listen carefully.”

Lieutenant Snow stood at attention as Commander Bolt continued, “Since you like to put your soldiers in harm’s way, you will be given fewer solders to order. From this point on, all of your pegasi solders will be placed under Captain Storm’s command and any Soldiers with archery experience, under Lieutenant Stone’s. Therefor your numbers have been marked down by at least three hundred… or more depending on the casualty count… which I will have you give me before the end of the day. Am I clear?”
Feeling better about his situation Lieutenant Snow saluted, “Yes sir, as you order.”
Just as Lieutenant Snow turned to leave Commander Bolt continued, “where are you going?... I’m not done yet.”
Snow turned back as he stood at attention and waited for the commander to continue, “Furthermore, from this point on, you will be the officer in command during the night shift. Meaning that from now until the end of the war, all night watch soldiers will be reporting to you before, and after each shift change… every… single… hour.”

Although it wasn’t said, Lieutenant Snow’s expression became distressed as he started to speak, “S-sir I hardly th…”
“And another thing!... because of today’s actions, you are no longer the commanding lieutenant. From this point on, Lieutenant Stone will have rank over you. And if anything should happen to myself and Captain Storm, she will be first to take up position as commander.”
Snow tried to argue, “But sir… I…”
Commander Bolt smiled, “I think this is much better than a punishment fitting acts of insubordination and tactical sabotage… don’t you think?”
Understanding the size of the bullet he dodged, Lieutenant Snow sighed in disappointment as he replied, “Yes sir… I would say so…”
Commander Bolt gave him a serious expression as he replied, “What was that?... I didn’t hear you correctly. Respond as you should lieutenant.”
Understanding what he should do, Lieutenant Snow stood at attention as he replied as serious as he could, “Yes Commander!”

With that, Commander Bolt smiled as he continued, “I am sorry I had to do this. But after all we’ve been through, we mustn’t make hasty decision, am I right?”
Lieutenant Snow sighed, “I suppose we do… if I correctly recall, the good Commander Mist had to make a similar decision in the Griffin Kingdoms did he not?”
Commander Bolt nodded his head, “Yea… and I learned my lesson from that, so I would suggest you do the same. Despite all the headaches… I always feel confident knowing your sword is fighting on our side.”
Lieutenant Snow smiled as he replied, “As I do your lighting sir. From this point, I will place the honor of my nobility in this lesson, and ensure that this incident may never be repeated.”
Commander Bolt placed his hoof on Lieutenant Snow’s shoulder as he replied, “That’s good to know… but your still going to have to report to Lieutenant Stone as your superior.”

Laughing at his failed attempt to change his mind, Snow looked at me and replied, “Well then Miss Stone, it looks like your bow will always overshadow my sword. Alas the tip of an arrow was always sharper than my blade, and the fortuitous form of archery had always been a fresh sigh of relief to me and my solders. So to stand in your shadow was never a burden, but noble dwelling upon me in this dire need of an abode.”
Although it was hard to tell since he spoke with a noble vocabulary I still considered it a compliment as I replied, “Well… um… thanks… I think.”
Captain Storm could only smile as he looked at Commander Bolt and smiled, “well commander, I’m glad you didn’t let your anger get the better of you.”
Commander Bolt replied, “How could I? Neither you nor Stone would give me a good reason not to forgive him. But all in all I’m glad this is decided. Knowing that my officers are willing to stand up for one another is something that’s inspiring… even if it’s against me.”

Captain Storm smiled as he replied, “C’mon commander… just cuz we all stood up to you doesn’t mean we’re against you. Let’s face it, we are in this war together, just like the last, and even though we have a new face in the group we are still fighting for our survival just like last time we were in this mess. Only this time we aren’t dealing with mercenaries.”
I smiled and added, “yea… after all, isn’t that what having friends is all about?...”
All of a sudden I felt an awkward silence surround us as Commander Bolt, Lieutenant Snow, and Captain Storm all locked their eyes on me. But just as I was feeling like I shouldn’t have used the term friend, Commander Bolt replied, “True… Friend… I couldn’t have said it better myself.”