• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 935 Views, 7 Comments

Shards of Nightmare - Stonedpony



the bearers of harmony are sent to retirve peices of Nightmare moon, however they have some "he

  • ...
 7
 935

The Duel

The Duel

Steel Will shivered as an evening arctic wind blew through crystal ruins. The gray earth pony sighed and pulled his fur cloak tighter around his shoulders. Just six months ago before he transferred to the Frost Giants from the Stalliongrad Stallion Guard, he would have been disgusted or even horrified by the idea of wearing the pelt of an other animal like most ponies. However now like most of the small elite company of the frozen north Steel Will wouldn’t leave his quarters with out it over his armor. Not just because it kept him warm but it was a sign he had been tested against the dangers of the frozen waists.
“hey!” Jaded Slate said to get Steel Will's attention, the green earth pony nodded toward a makeshift look out post “looks like the old horse wants to tell us something.”
“maybe he saw some more ghosts.” Steel Will replied. Nether of the young soldiers had seen the supposed 'ghost of the winds' but it was easy to see why somepony would think they saw something among the crystal ruins, specially with the constant sight of the blasphemous tower. It may have been broken by a long forgotten battle but it was still chilling.
The look out post was a small half collapsed crystal building, the archeologist said it may have been a post office. the Frost Giants engineers rebuilt the collapsed section of the post office with wood and canvas. However one cant really nail boards to crystal walls and screws present there own problems, making the repairs more of a shield against the wind and then the cold. Even though the crystal ruins were the base of operations for The Frost Giants this little watch tower was low on the list of priorities to upgrade.
Inside the post office two pony soldiers huddled around a fire, their fur cloaks pulled tightly around them their empty bowls of soup stacked beside them. A third returned to his now frozen bowl, his female comrades had a good laugh at his expense.
Steel Will and Jaded Slate were not concerned with the post just the older pony on the top. The shaggy coated pegasus fluttered down to the ground on leathery wings. His tufted ears dropped with the weight of snow stuck to them. “did you see something Snow Drift.” Jaded Slate asked.
“well of course think I'd bother the both of you if I didn’t?”
“not more ghost I hope.” Steel Will sarcasticly added.
“not this night trooper.” the old bat pony replied, despite being retiring age the sergeant's eyes were still the best in the whole company. Able to spot a baby bird in a nest a hundred paces away at a full gallop. “there’s some sort of strange disturbance at the old library you two should check it out.”
“on it.” Steel Will said with a nod too Jaded Slate. The two young troopers were on their way. The library was just a couple blocks away from the post office. The fur of the back of the ponies neck stood straighter the closer they got. rumors started to bounce around in their minds, not the ones about the ghost in the wind. Rumors about a demon of shadow that arose a few mouths ago and had to be put down by the knights, and as rumor had it the demon took a few knights with it. Those rumors seem more viable the closer they got to the libation, the damage to the ruins seemed fresh. Cuts from blades of various size, from the normal to the ludicrous. Crystal walls were smashed by spells or other means, some were even melted.
The once majestic library was now little more then shattered walls filled with piles of snow. However the strange black glow gave the two soldiers pause. The pair glanced at each other and nodded. The ponies reached back and grasped their spears in their jaws and pulled it off their backs, with practice ease the ponies slid their weapons into the holders on their side under their cloaks. With a simple roll of their left shoulders they move their shields into position for a fight. After checking that the partner was ready they made their way to a opening in the wall.
Jaded Slate looks around the corner and gasped “by Celestia's holy mane.”
“what?” Steel Will said as he looked, in the middle of the ruined library surrounded by collapsed bookshelves was a shadowy fire. The two stallions slowly made their way inside. The pairs spiked horse shoes dug into the snow ice and crystal alike. The black flames started to die down as the ponies approached revealing a red cloak covering a large pony, snow was already starting to stick to black and white spotted fur collar. The soldiers stopped and Steel Will asked “you okay sir?” he hoped they could help this pony.
The black stallion stood the green glow of his black eyes faded as the wind caught his cloak revealing his armored body. the ancient armor was covered in black crystal spikes giving him a very intimidating appearance. Steel Will and Jaded Slate glanced at each other as they readied for a fight. The crystal on the new ponies armor creaked and fell to the ground as he swayed back and forth, the black crystal crown on his head broke and hung from his red crystalline horn for a brief moment. The sound of it shattering on the ground broke some semblance of consciousness to the black pony.
He blinked and his black pupils faded to a pale green, he looked around in a daze like a drunk would. To his eyes he saw dozens of enemy soldiers closing in around him. “I am Sir Sombra.” he addressed the group “and by divine right I ordered thee to stand down.”
Steel Will rolled his eyes and looked at Jaded Slate. “we cant do that sir.” the emerald green pony said.
Before Jaded could tell the black pony to calm down “thine numbers are nothing to my might.” Sombra growled “you are servants of false gods.” his red crystalline horn glowed and the air over his right shoulder popped as he grasped at nothing. Steel Will and Jaded Slate gritted their teeth and readied for a fight.
Sombra stared over his shoulder in confused horror “What have thou done with my blade.”
“nothing. Now calm down sir, your coming with use.” Steel Will said as he approached the black stallion. the black pony was staring at the snow slowly collecting in the feather symbols on his large sheath.
Sombra's mind was a wash in a sea of information, both false and real. He didn’t know where he was all he knew, or thought he knew was that he was unarmed and surrounded by enemies. He Roared “get back!” as the dozen enemy soldier ponies approached spikes of black crystal burst from the ground killing one of them while the rest used their Shields or jumped out of the way.
Steel Will was barely able to bring his shield up in time to defend himself, the end of black crystal broke off and put a rather large dent in the metal shield. Jaded Slate ducked under the spikes, he stared rather comically at the spikes before he scampered back. “how fortunate.” Sombra said as surprised as the two soldiers “even though thou blasphemers have stolen thine holy weapon. my gods have given me control over your lands natural power.” he laughed for a moment before he summoned a massive chunk of black crystal from the ground “there for I shall use this to arm myself.” his pale green eyes flashed black as energy cut through the large crystal and it shattered leaving only a massive crystal sword. Sombra garbed the swords handle in his jaw and broke it from the uncut hunk of crystal, the massive heavy sword fell. He could barely hold it up.
Steel Will kicked some of the crystal spikes out of his way and said “things to big for him. Lets get him.”
“wait!” Jaded Slate yelled as he pushed a few of the black spikes out of his way. The soldiers watched as Sombra growled a spell his eyes glowing black with flowing green energy, the crystal sword glowed the same color. A few seconds passed and then the green glow burst leaving behind ethereal white feathers that faded as they fell. Sombra then lifted the massive sword as if it were nothing at all.
Sombra looked up at the ten or so soldiers around him “have at ye!” he roared as he jumped up using the wight of his sword to sore six pony lengths above the other ponies. The black pony came down like a bladed comet upon his foes, he cut down four of his enemies in but a few swipes of his new blade.
“what the?” Steel Will said as he watched the black pony fight nothing. Then suddenly Sombra's sights were set on him. The gun metal gray pony barely got his shield up in time, for all the good it did. The massive black sword cut through the steel coated wood with relative ease. The think armor on Steel Will's shoulder barely held back the massive blade, it gave in a little and the flesh and bone underneath paid the price. when the gray pony slammed to the ground he realized his shoulder blade had creaked and the muscle was already starting to bruise.
“STEEL!” Jaded Slate yelled as he charged Sombra. The black pony ducked under the spear and jumped up around the shaft and over the light green pony. The Frost giant soldier dug his spiked shoes into the ice surprised by Sombra's agility. The earth pony watched as the momentum of the massive sword pulled Sombra higher above him.
With the textured grip of crystal sword in his mouth Sombra twisted and brought the blade down and with a twist of his hindquarters the pony come down on Jaded Slate like a circular saw. The blade of the crystal sword cut through the tough ice wolf cloak and the spear shaft like they weren’t there. Before Jaded could move the blade had cut through his armor with a loud screech of metal.
Blood splattered on the snow as Sombra landed on his hooves the massive crystal sword floated over his head. Jaded slate gasped feeling the frigid air on his hot insides. As he collapsed to the snow his thoughts went to his wife and their young filly.
“Sweat Celestia no” Steel Will said as he forced himself to his hooves but he could barely move. As soon as the name of the deity hit Sombra's ears he stopped and stared in horror at what he had done. He looked at the blood splattered across the black crystal sword. His pale eyes now a bright emerald green.
“i know what I have done, not just now but In the forgotten past.” Sombra said as he quickly knelt and cast a healing spell on Jaded Slate. A few seconds past and prone stallion too a deep breath his shredded side healed “but there is no redemption for me in this place” he turned toward where he thought Canterlot was “nor can I bare to face them for my punishment, he who has my gift will have to do.” a large black crystal burst out of the ground behind Sombra, he walked inside and vanished.
“what the hell just happened?” Jaded Slate coughed as he tried to stand.
“i have no idea.” Steel Will replied as he hobbled over to his partner and helped him up. “lets get you to the medics before we start worrying about that.”

* * *

it was well after midnight as Flash's birth day party was winding down. What a part it was. Flash showed that despite being a soldier he really just wanted everypony to have a good time. He did the best he could to be a good host, him and Pinkie made a good team. Although when nopony was looking the pairs attention was on each other. The night got even more intense once the foals had gone home cause that’s when Berry Punch broke out her “special party punch” which many ponies partake far too much.
Daring the party Winchester asked Twilight out, the lavender mare was tippys but she happily said yes. Fluttershy knew she had to make good the deal and tell the stallion she like her feelings. The knight and Twilight watched the yellow mare trot over to Big Macintosh. The big red stallion almost did a back flip at the news, through the rest of the party the stallion was walking on clouds. Although they were not ones to be rude, so they continued to enjoy the party like normal. However Big Macintosh did walk Fluttershy home that night.
Winchester had also decided to walk Twilight home to discus when they would actually go out, however the mare seemed to have other ideas. Twilight Sparkle blushed partly from embarrassment and partly from alcohol as she said “um Winchester. Would you think less of me if I asked if I could spend the night with you.”
Winchester stumbled a little as the mare asked her question. He smiled softly as he replied “well there’s nothing that would make me not think the world of you but what would you do with me at my place this night?”
Twilight felt a little embarrassed, the alcohol had only settled the butterfly she had somehow swallowed a little. “well I’m not the type of mare that goes home with a Stallion form a party normally but I wanted to try something new.”
Winchester grinned as he leaned in a little closer to her to say “well I’ll do everything I can to make sure you enjoy this night, and everyday onwards. if it helps you can think all those times we ended up staying up all night together doing research or testing those spells of yours as dates.”
Twilight smiled feeling a little more at ease, she leaned into him their shoulders touching as they walked “well knowing us that may happen a lot.” the mare looked up meeting the gentle gaze of the stallion, she slowly closed her and leaned up to kiss him he was quick to move to return it. Then Twilight got an idea.
Just as their lips were about to meet Winchester heard a giggle and felt a tail brush across his nose. The stallion opened his eyes and found that Twilight had skipped down the street a little bit, she looked back at him with a smiled and flicked her tail. she had decided to make him earn the kiss a little bit more. “oh you little tease” he grinned “i like this.” he gave chase with a laugh, the mare giggled as she galloped away.
The game of drunken lovers tag was great fun. Winchester followed Twilight as she slipped through bushes and pretended to hid behind light post always staying just out of the stallions reach. However Winchester felt that if he tried just a little harder he would caught her. Twilight decided to give him the chance as she hopped on to the edge of the fountain, she turned around and winked at stallion. She watched him prowl around her like some sort of predator, it gave her good kind of chills. Winchester hoped up on the fountain with her. He walked closer to her grinning, both panted lightly as they looked into each others eyes.
“your so beautiful.” the stallion said his drunk mind couldn’t think of anything better to say as he leaned in to kiss Twilight, the mare seem to be ready to give him his reword for such a fun chase. However just as they were about to meet Twilight splashed the blue pony with a laugh. Winchester smiled with his brown mane hanging in his face before Twilight could escape he grabbed her and tossed them both in the water.
The two ponies laughed as they shook their wet manes out of their faces. The cool water felt good on their warm bodies. Twilight smiled as she looked into Winchester's eyes. the stallion placed his hoof gently on hers even though the world spun around them nether notice. She scooted a little closers to him and he did the same moving his hoof to hers shoulder. Finally the moment felt perfect and the two adult ponies leaned in for their first kiss.
“is thou the knight that wields the sword Featherweight.” a gruff voice said startling both ponies. Twilight quickly jumped to her hooves while Winchester just looked over his shoulder at where he thought the voice had come from. A black unicorn stallion in a red clock stood at the edge of fountain. Both the ponies noticed that he was well armed and armored, Winchester noticed that his armor was of a very old design. Twilight was more embarrassed then frightened as she scurried out of the fountain blushing so bad it threatened to erase her face. She climbed out of water and shook off giving the rather frighting new comer a wide berth she paused and waited for her date.
Winchester took his time to respond as he climbed out of the fountain. “Yes I am.” he finally said before shaking the water off close to black stallion to show his displeasure “if you need my assistance come back tomorrow around noon, I have more import matters to attend too.” The blue stallion trotted away smiling as he rejoined his date. The pair trotted down the road leaving Sombra standing stunned at the side of the fountain water dripping form his face, he had never been dismissed so readily in his life.
A few playful bumps, some teasing rubs and the encounter at the fountain was drunkenly forgotten and the mood returned to its previous romantic feel. It only took a couple minutes to walk from Mane Street to Winchester's home. Twilight giggled as she leaned on the door frame as sensual as she could on two unsteady hooves. Her damp mane hung over her eyes Winchester found her irresistible as he gave up on unlocking his door. He reared up and leaned on the wall with a hoof on ether side of the mares shoulder trapping her there, not that she planed on going anywhere.
“knights have indeed fallen far.” the same gruff voice rang out behind them, Winchester looked over his shoulder while Twilight glared over the other as Sombra continued “for thou to believe that time with a harlot is more important then that of thine fellows.”
Winchester growled as he pushed off the wall and turned to face the black stallion. However he never got a chance speck as Twilight pushed past him to stand on the edge of the small porch. “Excuse me, but I am no harlot.” embarrassment had turned to anger with the help of the alcohol, although she was a little unsteady on her hooves as she continued. “i am Twilight Sparkle the bearer of the element of magic and Princess Celestia's personal student.” she hiccuped and blushed now even angrier that her attempt to be intimidating had been undermined by her own body. Winchester grinned as he watched her.
Sombra was once again dumbstruck, he didn’t even know what year it was let alone who any pony was. He could only feel the power of the goddesses of the moon and sun radiating from Canterlot. The stallion lowered his head his long mane fell in his face as he said “how much more can I tarnish my honor, I have so little left.” he threw his head up and yelled “so face me Knight so that I may have a honorable end.” with out thinking Sombra drew his massive crystal sword and launched himself through the air.
Twilight yelped as she cast a shield spell. The translucent pink dome wobbled like a bubble as the blade hit, but it didn’t give out. However the mare was not the target of the wild attack, he had stepped to the side and kicked open the door. Featherweight rocketed out of the hall and impacted Sombra right in his armored chest, Winchester grabbed the sword's handle pulling him into the street with Sombra. The blue stallion took two quick swipes with Featherweight, the black stallion was quick to respond even though he was off balance. Sombra smiled this was what he wanted the blue knight's attacks came in a flurry of rapid powerful strikes even as skilled as he was he couldn’t defend against them forever. the white blade cut through the night air, as Winchester twisted and jumped over his foe spinning like a circular saw. Sombra slipped in the dirt and his magical grip on his blade wavered.
Winchester landed about to bring his sword down on Sombra but the world was spinning faster and faster, his stomach churned. “oh shit.” the stallion said as his belly convulsed. He knew what would happen next, his body thought he had ingested poison and it wanted it out. Featherweight fell beside him as he throw up in the middle of the street.
Sombra stood and took a few steps back disgusted shielding his nose with a hoof from the stench of half digested alcohol and cake. “thou art no knight, thou art nothing but a drunkard.”
Winchester spite and gasped for breath before saying “it was a party, what did you expect.”
“for thou to not partake in the fruit of the vine.” Sombra growled, how could he be punished by one so undisciplined. Winchester just glared as he struggle to stand again his body didn’t want to respond he could barely control his magic enough to lift Featherweight. “thou are in no shape to face me this night.” Sombra sheathed his crystal sword “i will return I prey thou aren’t ready then.” he vanished in a flash of magic.
Winchester slumped against his sword and sighed as Twilight approached hoping he was okay. The stallion looked at her tired as he said “well that killed the mood.”
Twilight nodded trying to ignore the memory of the knight puking or she may do so as well “yeah.” she guessed he was okay if he was trying to joke around.
“so what was that about?”
the knight sighed and stood up a little unsteady “well, when a warrior feels he has dishonored himself or failed in someway he will seek out a warrior of great skill to duel with to regain their lost honor.” the stallion shrugged “its nothing to worry about.” he grinned weakly “how about a rain check for tonight?”
“sure.” Twilight returned the smile making his smile grow. “till when?”
“how about I take you to the Wonderbolt's show tomorrow?”
“that will work but, all my friends are going too so its not going to be all that special.”
“well I’m not taking your friends to dinner afterwords.” Winchester smiled and laid Featherweight on his back using to magic to hold it in placed.
“better.” Twilight giggled before she added “its a date.”
“it is, a real one.” Winchester sighed he wanted to kiss her good night but after what just happened he doubted he would get it, so he simple bowed and said “I’m going to take my leave before my body betrays me for the second time tonight.”
“okay.” Twilight replied before she asked “you sure your okay.”
the stallion nodded and smiled “yeah just got to maintain what little pride I have left you know.” he chuckled “would you like an escort home?”
“no no its okay.” she giggled “you need to get to bed and so do i.” she blushed before saying good night and trotting away.
“good night dear daughter of dusk.” Winchester said with a smile feeling much better, Twilight giggled at the name and blew him a kiss before she rounded the corner. The blue stallion trotted inside his home, placed Featherweight back on its rack. He brushed his teeth before passing out on his bed.
Twilight Sparkle was happy as she returned home despite the upset stomach and pounding head she started to hum a love song. She always liked this part of the few relationships she had, even if this night didn't go well. This would be her fourth, she hoped that unlike the others this one wouldn’t perter out and that they wouldn't drift apart. She smiled Winchester could be a little grating at times but was charming when he wanted to be. everypony has their faults she herself was a perfectionist to the point it annoyed herself at times, she could only guess what other ponies thought about it. On the plus side they both loved reading and learning things so that could be fun, and as of late Winchester was the only one who would help her test spells. The possibilities and naughty thoughts were making her giddy and her humming became the true song as she opened the door and kicking it shut in time with the song, the alcohol made her forget that Spike was asleep.
the drunk mare continued to slur her song as she made her way up the stairs. Spike stepped out the bed room and said “i guess you had fun.” he had never seen Twilight like this.
The mare blushed and stopped singing mid word as she looked at the baby dragon. “i guess you can say that.” she hadn’t told Spike what she was going to do when he had gone home with the younger party goers, she didn’t even know at that time.
“what ever, why did you have to come home singing.” he said as he turned back to his bed. Twilight didn’t respond she hadn’t noticed the room was spinning till now and her stomach didn’t like it. she rushed off toward the bathroom. “hey you okay?” Spike yelled suddenly worried about the sounds of Twilight throwing up half of what she ate that night. It wasn’t long before Twilight could reply telling him she was, after brushing her teeth she slipped into bed and was soon asleep as was the dragon.

* * *

the sun shined bright in the cloudless sky the next morning, birds were chirping ponies were happily going about their time getting ready for the Wonderbolts show and the fair that accompanied it. However Twilight Sparkle had never wish harder for the sun to have been hidden by clouds and all the birds in the world to loose their voices. She sat up and moaned, the mare rubbed her forehead with a hoof before seeing herself in the mirror. She looked as bad as she felt, bags under eyes mane sticking up in just about every direction.
Her head was throbbing and her stomach was churning and grumbling. However after getting her mane and tail under control Twilight decided it was a perfect time to try some of the hangover remedies in the super natural cure alls book, after a gross raw egg concoction she felt even sicker and yet a lot better too. Luckily breakfast and a hot soak in the tub was just what she needed to fix all that.
The rest of the morning Twilight and Spike spent working the library like normal, the Wonderbolts show wasn’t till late this afternoon. There was lots of free time today like most days. Her mind wondered to the events of last night, she briefly wondered about the black stallion. He worried her but if Winchester wasn’t worried about him then she didn’t see a point in worrying about him ether, he did only seem interested in fighting Winchester. The thing that she was more worried about was if Winchester remembered that he was going to take Twilight to dinner tonight. Alcohol induced amnesia would be a mark against him. Not that she was keeping score, just a list of pros and cons.
About two hours after lunch Twilight and Spike decided to get ready to go out, the little dragon was happily taking a bath while Twilight did her make up. Even if Winchester had forgotten she was going to look good for the night, she just hoped he would be decent when she went and got him. Never one to over dress even for a date Twilhgt decided to do just a good brushing with some mane and tail product to add a little bounce and shine. Her make up was just some lip gloss with a little glitter, a touch of blush and eye shadow.
Twilight was very carefully curling her eyelashes when there was a knock at the door, the mare glanced at her open bedroom door then back at the mirror. She had only finished one eye and was about half done with the other. The mare was unsure if she should finish her eyelashes or answer the door, politeness and OCD competed for control of her mind. It took only a few seconds for Twilight to realize that who ever was at the door would appreciate her having a properly balanced appearance.
The knock at the door repeated a twice more before Twilight could get down the stairs to say she was coming. She briefly wondered who it was as she opened the door. The mare was pleasantly surprised to see Winchester at the door. He must have remembered his idea from last night. His mane was thoroughly brushed showing off its natural waviness and body. “i was worried I was too late their but I guess I may be too early.” the stallion said with a smile.
The mare panicked for a brief moment, before she realized there was no reason to panic. Winchester had seen her in much worst states then this. A sleigh smile graced her face as she said “well we were just getting ready, but you can come in and wait if you like.”
“i would love too.” Winchester replied with a smile, Twilight stepped to the side and the blue stallion stepped inside wafting the scent of his honey and coco cologne with him.
After closing the door, Twilight headed up stairs saying “Spikes still in the bath so I'll just finish my make up.”
“you already sparkle like the radiant stars of the night one would think you were done all ready.” Winchester said with a smile.
The mare giggled and blushed “thank you, you don’t look too bad yourself sir knight.” she smiled as she returned to her mirror, she had an idea. Her horn glowed as she levitated her jewelry box over and opened it. She used her hoof and magic to search through the well organized jewelry till she found what she wanted. Her set of about a dozen star ear rings and clips. With practiced ease Twilight put on the gold star ear studs into the two piercings she had in each ear, and used the star clips she made a design kind of like the little dipper in each of her ears.
After testing to insure that she could still move her ears and nothing would slip out of place, Twilight sprayed herself with some lavender rose perfume. She checked herself to make sure everything was right. Once satisfied, the mare trotted out of her room and looked down into the main area. Winchester stood at the base of the stairs at relaxed attention his eyes light up upon seeing her.
As Twilight trotted down the steps she smiled and said “this is what it must be like to be picked up for prom.” the mare had never gone to her school prom or any school dances for that matter, the only one she planed on going to was a collage dance that she missed when she got caught up in some research at the library. That lead to the end of her first relationship.
“well I wouldn’t know, never went to one myself.” Winchester replied smiling, he didn’t want to think about that time of his life right now. It wasn’t happy and now was a time for happy thoughts. Twilight raised an eyebrow at the comment but didn’t press the issue she knew snippets of his past and they were seldom good. “however I do know that tradition dictates I give you a flower.”
“you really brought me a flower?” Twilight replied with a shy giggle as she reached the bottom of the stairs.
“yes.” the knight answered in a soft voice. “two in fact.” he produced two royal blue roses from no where, they smelt sweet and looked almost perfect. As the stallion's blue glow gave way to Twilight’s purple aura. She pulled a petal off the flower, it had a delicate flavor and just about melted in her mouth. This was as close to heaven a flower could get her. She ate the rest of the flower as lady like as she could, the delicate flavor of the peddles was joined by the earthy stem and light bitterness of the pollen and finally a burst of sweet nectar. She was wrong this was as close to heaven a flower could get her.
The mare blushed as she looked up remembering she wasn’t alone. She blushed and smiled at Winchester “so whats the second one for?”
the stallion smiled he had happily waited as the mare enjoyed the flower he bought her “well this one is to wear.” he answered as he slid the thornless stem behind her ear. Twilight was a little disappointed she didn’t get to eat that one but she couldn’t spoil her dinner then again food wasn’t on the mares mind for long with Winchester's hoof on her chine. he lifted her head so their eyes could meet. The moment seemed perfect again and the two ponies leaned in to kiss.
Just as they were about to make contact Rainbow Dash burst in through the front door yelling about how they were going to be late causing both the unicorns to jump. The blue pegasus was soon fallowed by Applejack “dang it Rainbow, We got more then an hour befo-” the country mare stop mid-sentence seeing Twilight and Winchester. It wasn’t hard to guess what the two had been doing. The country mare smirked knowingly “Ah'm sorry are we interrupting something?”
“n-no not really.” Twilight replied with a nervous smile and rosy cheeks, all the interruptions were starting to get on her nerves. Winchester was disappointed as well but smiled the wait was just making him want it and her more.
Rainbow Dash hovered over Applejack's shoulder and said “good.” she fluttered down to the ground “i don’t want to miss the try outs.”
“try outs?” Applejack, Twilight and Winchester asked together.
“didn’t you hear? the Wonderbolts are holding try outs to go to their training camp, I could become a real Wonderbolt.” Rainbow Dash asked as Fluttershy trotted inside with a spring in her step and a smile on her face, Big mac had to work the fair but she didn’t mind they had plenty of time to be together and plans for later this week.
“what about your job.” Winchester asked seeming to have something on his mind.
“i already talked to my manager about it and if I find somepony to take my place when I’m gone he said I could go.”
“Who are you planing on picking?” Thunderlane asked as he and Rarity joined the group. The white mare was about to say something but stopped as Flash walked in front of her sniffing the ground like a dog. Everypony watched the Orange stallion sniff around the room.
“he's playing hid and got seek with Pinkie.” Fluttershy explained, the group of ponies nodded and expressed how that made sense.
“any way-” Thunderlane was cut off by Rainbow Dash saying “there’s no pay raise.”
“i don’t want it.” the gray stallion quickly announced making Rarity giggle and roll her eyes.
“any way girls were over looking something very important.” Applejack said with a grin, her friends looked at her thinking they knew what she was getting at. “Don’t y’all think that these two look a little too fancy to be going to the fair, their even Fancier then Rarity.” Twilight blushed while Winchester looked unamused.
“yes.” Rarity agreed looking over Twilight. “you must have plans for this day you haven’t shared with the rest of us.” she smiled.
Twilight blushed as she admitted “we're just going to dinner.” Winchester nodded in agreement, he wasn’t shy but there were somethings you just don’t discuses like this. He wanted something real with Twilight not to just add another notch to his head board.
“Wait a second.” Rainbow Dash called finally paying attention “didn’t you too leave together last night?”
“yes but nothing happened.” Twilight said blushing harder looking around for a way to get out of this conversion and Spike coming out the bath room wrapped in a towel wasn't it. Winchester was doing the same while Fluttershy was blushing and trying to ignore what was going on, despite being a “lady” Rarity was very interested in the love life of her friends.
“THERE YOU ARE!” Flash yelled as he jumped in the air and flew at Spike. Everypony watched as the orange Pegasus dove at the confused dragon. Spike ducked revealing Pinkie Pie grinning behind him, the pink mare laughed and tried to scurry away. However the pegasus was quicker and playfully tackled her to the ground, they both laughed as they rolled to a stop. Pinkie laid on her back her curly mane was spread out around her as she looked up into Flash's smiling face. “i got you.” he said with a laugh his wings sticking straight up in the air.
“Yeah you did.” Pinkie answer with a giggle as she warped her forelegs around the back of his neck. The memories of last night filled her mind making her blush, but she liked it. She pulled Flash down closer to herself.
“uh Pinkie Darling do remember you are not alone.” Rarity said with a gentle smile.
“opps” the mare giggled as she slip out from under the stallion blushing even harder, Flash coughed and stumbled over a couple of nervous, relies and apologizes. The others laughed, but none were more relieved then Twilight for the distraction. she hoped to keep the conversion away from the subject of that nature. she suggested they get going quick, Twilight's friends agreed. the dragon easily finished getting ready to go by pulling off the towel and throwing it on a hook in the bathroom. The group made their way out of the library and while no one was looking Pinkie stole a kissed from Flash, his wings shot up stiff again. The few vacation days he had, had been put to great use he just hope Pinkie thought the same thing. She didn't seem to have regretted anything they'd done so far.
The Fair was just out of the town limits set up in the no ponies lands between Sweet Apple Acres and Cabbage Radish Fields. It wasn’t a long trot to get there by any means, but it was enough time for most of Twilight’s friends to steer the conversation back to that of the librarian’s and Winchester's plans and what they had done the night before. Twilight assured them that nothing happened but still they pressed her thinking she was hiding something. Spike guessed all this wired talk was why Twilight come home like she did last night.
Winchester was not happy but luckily for him Fluttershy wasn’t interested in talking about the night before. Big Mac was a perfect gentalcolt when he walked her home and left her with a fluttering heart and promises of a great Friday night, but that was all for her to know and nopony else. To distract herself and Winchester she informed him the tabby cat had her litter of kittens. The stallion was delighted and the pair discussed when he could have his pick.
The fair was busy but wasn’t overly crowded. The group didn’t have to wait long to buy their tickets in, but it was too long for Rainbow Dash. She was dancing in place more and more as she got closer to the end of the line. The mare jumped in the air with her ticket yelling “oh yeah.” like she had accomplished some great task. Her friends laughed and rolled their eyes. However Winchester gave her no mind, because he felt eyes on him. Somepony was watching him. He knew who it was, and it irk that bastard so if he ignored him.
The fair circled a large stage and sets of bleachers, currently Sapphire Soars was doing a sound check for her half time show. The stalls and booths on ether side of the main path were mostly run by out of towners. Many were even branded with the Wonderbolts' colors and symbolize.
Rainbow Dash groan aloud every time her friends stopped to look at a stall or buy a treat. when Pinkie wanted to play a Wonderbolts themed game where you throw a stuffed Wonderbolt doll at a tower of bottles Rainbow Dash just about exploded. The pink mare thought she had done something wrong. Flash glared at the blue mare as he comforted Pinkie, she really didn’t need it she was a big girl but she liked the attention.
“what's your problem girl.” Applejack exclaimed with a stomp of her powerful hoof.
Rainbow Dash jumped, she lowered her ears before answering “I’m sorry I just really want to get to the try outs.”
“then go.” Flash said before Pinkie pat him on the head telling him to just watch.
“it is your dream Rainbow Dash don’t let us hold you back.” Twilight added.
Rainbow Dash nodded her ears lifting up slightly as she said “it has always been my dream to fly with the Wonderbolts, but whats the point in a dream if you have no pony to share it with.” she gave her friends a smirk to hide her nerves.
A smile spread over Applejack's face as she looked around at their friends “well hay, girl why didn’t you say so.” Rainbow Dash's ears perked up as the country mare yelled “come on y’all lets get this little dreamer to her dream!”
“Yeah!” the ponies cheered for their friend as they hurried down the path way. One among their number was worried but he showed no sign of it.
It took just a couple of minutes to cross the fair, even with the distractions of the stalls and having to wade through the crowd. Rainbow Dash was first to the desk with a Wonberbolts flag draped over it. It was ran by a very bored looking pony, Dash reconsigned as Drafter a pegasus that joined the Wonderbolts a few years back. “this is the Tryout obstacle course right?” Rainbow Dash asked.
“yeah.” the pegasus replied without looking up, he had been beaten down by the pathetic attempts of the amateurs today. He slid a waver form over the desk and said “just sign this and we can get it over with.” Rainbow Dash smirked as she grabbed a pen in her teeth, Pinkie cheered Rainbow Dash on as the blue mare signed her name. Drafter's ears perked up at the name and he finally looked up at the mare before him and his bored expression vanished. he asked “are you the Rainbow Dash?”
“none other.” the blue mare proclaim proudly tossing her multicolored mane out of her face.
Drifter nodded his head and grabbed a stamp from a ink pad and slammed it on the paper. “approved.”
Rainbow Dash's mouth dropped open “but I didn’t even do the coarse?”
“girl I've seen you fly, your in.” Drifter answered. “I’m surprise we haven’t invited you already.”
“oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!” Rainbow Dash repeated her wings buzzing excitedly. “I could kiss you.” Drifter smiled at the idea but his hopes were dashed as the blue mare was picked up by her friends and tossed her in the air as they cheered.
Winchester's cheers were enthusiastic but with an underlying sadness. Twilight noticed it but she assumed it was from the unwanted guest. “hey.” the mare said to get the stallion's attention, Winchester smiled at her as he replied with a simple yes. “how long has he been following us.” Twilight asked.
“oh him.” Winchester said as he looked over his shoulder with a grin. Sombra was standing in the shadows of a stall avoiding the commoners. Winchester smiled back at Twilight “he's not going to try anything, it wouldn’t help.”
“oh?” Twilight said as Sombra started to make his way through the crowd toward them. “i hope your right.” Twilight said as her friends took notice of the two unicorns private talk. Curiosity got the better of them as they asked what it was about.
The answer came from a large black stallion pushing through the crowd to stand and stare at Winchester and Twilight seeing that he was armed Flash stepped in front Pinkie and Fluttershy, Thunderlane did the same for Rarity. “everything okay.” Flash called over to the knight. Winchester glanced at Flash and waved his hoof dismissively. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had their eyes on the situation they weren’t sure what to do, yet. Spike pulled out his quill and paper thinking it may be needed.
“your not going to cause any trouble are you?” Twilight asked.
Sombra shook his head, and turned his full attention to the bearer of magic “first I must apologize to thou bearer of harmony, for my intersession on thine intimate time last night.” the armored stallion bowed to Twilight despite his politeness the lavender mare could sense his anger and sadness. Winchester grinned angrily he didn’t like taking his own medicine.
“you are forgiven.” The mare replied, she was trying to imitate the way the princess talked. “but what are you doing here today?”
“i said I would return to duel Sir Drunkard.” Sombra looked around “when I first saw this merriment I thought it is for the duel.” Twilight's friends weren’t sure how to react.
“no just some entrepreneurs hoping to fill their purses with hard earned coin.” Winchester said his eyes locked on Sombra. The black stallion didn’t bother looking at him.
“this isn’t the time for a fight there's too many ponies around.” Twilight said hoping to stop a public fight and possible collateral damage.
Sombra looked around “thou speaks truly.” he looked back at Winchester “shall we take our duel out to the hills?” finally acknowledged him.
Winchester grinned “do not take my rejection as cowardice, for I am simply already engaged.” he smiled at Twilight with genuine joy, she returned the look shyly before both returned to their more neutral serious faces. “but after dinner tonight we may cross blades for real.” the stallion's locked eyes again.
“as long as thou dost not indulge in too much wine.” Sombra replied, he was visible disappointed. The black pony didn’t want to wait for his punishment any longer but he had to listen to Royalty.
Winchester chuckled “rum is my poison of choice but I will refrain from it, this night.” despite his apparent mirth he didn’t like Sombra. he found him rude, though it might have been because he was reminded of himself.
“good.” Sombra turned to leave. “i shall wait for you upon the hills.”
“hey you cant go.” Pinkie called as she bounced over her friends, she ignored their attempts to stop her as she hopped right up to Sombra and hugged him “Mister you can’t go.”
“release me w-” he stopped mid sentence as Pinkie continued to explain that he should join them for a good time, Sombra however putting a few things together he assumed this mare was a bearer of harmony. He looked to Winchester for the answer.
The blue stallion smiled and said “bearer of laughter.” Sombra sighed and allowed the excited pink pony to lead him away.
“hey Twi you sure its a good idea to keep this guy around?” Applejack asked as the group started to fallow Pinkie Pie and Sombra. Flash stayed very close.
Twilight’s eyes never left Sombra “well you know Pinkie, maybe it will help him.” Applejack nodded “so lets just relax and have a good time.”
Awkward was the only way to describe the feeling in the air. Most ponies were confused by the armed and armored black stallion and put off by his odd gruff manner of speech. The group tried their best to have a good time, they played some games, won some prizes and bought some treats. The couples flirted a little, although Flash never got a chance with Pinkie's attention on cheering up the flustered black stallion. However Flash couldn’t help but smile about her enthusiasm in helping this pony fit in.
Pinkie could sense a deep sadness with in the black pony, specially after and odd encounter with the minotaur Iron Will as he attempted to sell his new weight loss and work out routines. In her heart she knew she had to rid him of this depression, and she had an idea how. Sombra's eyes widened as Pinkie's forelegs wrapped around him tighter as she was pulled into hug. Her sugary scent filled his nose, he could feel the curves of her body and the beat of her heart, it was improper the only mare he had ever been this close to was his lady love. He didn’t know what she would say but he knew what Pinkie was saying now. “its okay Sombie I'll get you out of this slump, all you need is a hug and a laugh with friends.” she giggled as she weaved her words into a song.
The mare's song was light and joyful, she was quickly joined by others including her friends and their dates as they sang about how a hurt in the heart or a sorry soul can be healed with a hug and some love from friends. They made it a point that their were new friends here ready to do just that. A few ponies including Winchester, Fluttershy, Twilight and even Iron Will got a verse on how friendship and hugs got them through hard times.
The song slowed and Sombra sang in a low deep bass voice, he expressed his gratitude to the bearers of harmony. The black pony's words were sad as he explained in song that there are hurts of the heart that come from regrettable actions that hugs and friends aren’t enough to fix. You must find forgiveness some how, and he only knew one way for him to be forgiven but he didn’t put it into words.
Hearing the underlying sadness, Pinkie countered with the final chorus and insisting it never hurts to try. Twilight realized that there was a way they could help and she was standing in the way of it. The lavender mare pull Winchester aside and said “i want you to go duel him.”
Winchester looked from Sombra where he was trying to talk Pinkie out of buying him a deep fried candy bar to Twilight and replied “Really?” the blue stallion had to admit he wanted to duel Sombra, however he also wanted to be with Twilight.
“yes.” Twilight said with a sigh “but I’m only giving you a rain check for the show.” she smiled and stepped a little closer “i still want to go to dinner.” they both smiled happily.
the stallion nodded “i like the sound of that, even if we duel till one yields it shouldn’t take too long.” the stallion was confidant he would be victorious and Sombra would feel he had regained his honor.
Sombra was beside himself he had never had fried food before. The fried chocolate bar almost made him forget about his woes as he devoured it. Pinkie laughed and bought him another as well as one for Flash and herself to share, the orange stallion was quite happy to do so. Spike slid up next to Applejack too try and to conceive her to buy him a treat.
Winchester approached as Sombra was enjoying the second fried chocolate bar. The black pony composed himself as he looked at his counter part. “what is it, sir Winchester?”
“i believe it is time.” Winchester answered while Applejack and Rainbow Dash watched, Twilight joined them giving Spike a disapproving look as he tried to hid his treat. Applejack and Rainbow Dash knew Twilight had to do with this. Sombra's reply was a silent nod as the blue stallion continued “we'll go duel in the fields but I have been told to not miss dinner.”
“if thine skills are true thou just may make it to thy lady love in time.” Sombra replied “i shall fallow thee.” he held his half eaten fried candy bar close by “the culinary delicacies of theses days are quite deletable.”
“oooookkkaayyy.” Winchester said confused giving Sombra a sidelong glance.
Twilight watched Winchester leave, despite her confident in the knight's skills she had a sudden bad feeling. She didn’t know what it meant but she was bothered. Applejack and Rainbow Dash didn’t notice their friends concern while they bought some fresh made lemonade. However Fluttershy did notice and gave up her search for Macintosh’s booth to step close to her well dressed friend and asked in a tiny voice “are you okay Twilight?”
“huh oh yeah.” the lavender mare smiled “just wanted, to well.” she blushed hoping Fluttershy caught what she was trying to say. The yellow mare paused for a moment then nodded seemingly catching on. “any way lets go have some fun.”
“FUN!” Pinkie and Flash said as they suddenly jumped in on the conversation. The sudden distraction and silly nature of her friends made Twilight forget her bad feeling. She laughed as the whole group ran off to find some fun games. The knight stuff, as Rainbow Dash put it was soon forgotten in favor of the taunts of the dunking booth pony. However Twilight’s mind was never truly settled, just distracted.
It wasn’t long before most of the fair emptied into the center field, and filed into the bleachers. Twilight and her friends found some good seats. They talked as they waited for the show to start. Seeing how Rarity was snuggled up to Thunderlane and the look on Fluttershy's face when Big Macintosh trotted up and sat next to her for the show, made Twilight's mind wonder to her date. She was starting to think she made the wrong dissension with sending Winchester off to fight, she knew she had when she saw Pinkie and Flash playing around and his reaction when the pink mare kissed him when she thought nopony was looking.
Luckily before Twilight's thoughts could get her in a bad mood the driving powerful music of the Wonderbolts came through the speakers, it started with a low jungle beat from the drums. The Gryphon guitars soon joined the drums with a building roar, the guitars screamed just as the six Wonderbolts soared over head trailing multicolored smoke.
The crowed went wild as the stunt fliers banked and dove in formation before spiting apart and flying what felt like mere feet above the crowed. The Wonderbolts twisted and turned in the air making complicated designs with their smoke putting their timing and coordinator to the test, the music was little help they couldn’t hear it most of the time.
Rainbow Dash was amazed without looking away from her heroes the blue mare yelled about how she tried this and that, or that when you do this one move all the blood rushes away from her your head and can knock you out. Pinkie mean while giggled and got Flash's attention. The pink mare mouthed “watch this.” she reached out and pushed down on Rainbow Dash's wing. It sprang back up like a door stopper would, the vibration of that single wing reverberated through the rest of the mares body.
Rainbow Dash blushed as she shook much to the entertainment of her friends near by, none more so then Pinkie and Flash. The pair rolled on the bleachers laughing. Rainbow Dash was about to let them have it when a gasped from the crowd drew her attention to the sky. “NO WAY their doing it this early.” the blue mare guessed what trick it was the Wonderbolts were about to do.
High above Fleet Foot and Spitfire flew straight at each other. The world was in slow motion for the two mares, they could almost see how the air pop around them as they broke the sound barrier. Their timing had to be perfect or this would be their last act. The pair could see their reflections in the goggles of the other as they closed, at the last moment they rolled slightly hooves ready to catch each others. Every fiber and tendon in their beans set themselves properly nothing could be out of place.
They caught each others hoof, with a shift of their weight the mares began spinning around feet above the stage lights. A moment after their high speed spin started a small tornado formed around them their smoke trails colored it blue with some streaks of yellow. The two Wonderbolt fliers gritted their teeth as the counted, the flight suits they wore did the best they could to keep the blood in their heads.
The sky above responded to the tornado, dark clouds formed and began to swirl. On the count of 15 the mares released their hooves, they shot out of the wild tornado. The low music was all building drums for a few seconds as the crowd grew afraid, the storm above would soon be out of control. The music hit a high note with cymbals, then The bass drum kicked at the same moment the four other Wonderbolts cut through the tornado in the four cardinal directions. The confused spinning air burst into rising steam and falling snow.
The crowd exploded with cheers. The six fliers landed on the stage panting. The chanting of their fans was what they lived for. Sapphire Shores trotted up beside them telling the crowd show the Wonderbolts their love. The stunt fliers trotted off to rest and get some magic healing, Fleet Foot was trying her best to hide her limp.
Sapphire Shores was soon joined by her back up dancers and singers all of them in lavish costumes but none out shined the pony of pop herself. Rarity proudly proclaimed to her friends that she made all of them, her friends already knew she had excitedly told them the news when she gotten the order. Sapphire Soars put on quite the half time show. She fed off the energy of the crowd and intern got them even more fired up then before.
Applejack and Big Macintosh weren't the biggest fans of pop music, but with all the enjoyment around them they couldn’t be sticks in the mud and joined the fun. Fluttershy was shy like normal but she moved with the music with a big smile. Twilight was into it but she liked anything she could let loose and move too, normally alone in her room with the door lock and shutters shut. Rarity was a lady but she was here to have a good time with her coltfriend and dancing with the music with him was the right thing to do. Rainbow Dash wanted the Wonderbolts back but she had to admit that Sapphire Shores put on a good show.
The half time show went on for about ten minutes. Sapphire Shores trotted to the front on the stage in her forth costume of the show, Rarity commented on the difficulties of making each outfit. The Pony of Pop smiled as she stood before the crowd and called to them “let me feel your love!” the crowd cheered making her smile some more “now that’s all for me, but how about you let those Wonderbolts feel your love.” the crowd cheered and the mare just laughed “Ha I know you can do better then that. MAKE SOME NOISE FOR THE WONDERBOLTS!” the crowd got louder “now that’s more like it!” she looked over her shoulders as the pegasi flew over the fair grounds smoke trailing behind them.
As the Wonderbolts performance music started up again, Sapphire Shores whooped and reared up kicking her forelegs as she led the crowds cheer. High above the fair grounds Soaring stopped flapping his wings and let gravity and his momentum battle it out, he knew that the other fliers were doing the same. He smiled he loved the feeling of weightlessness, it was in these moments that Soaring felt closest to the creator. Then his military training kicked in, he broke formation on instant. He knew he was going to caught hell for it but as some sort of magical comet hurtled past where he had just been he thought made the right choice.
Some of the crowd noticed the smoking form hurtling toward the stage, they couldn’t tell if it was part of the show or not. As the comet got closer to the stage it became apparent it wasn’t. Sapphire Shores was too stunned to move as the sparkling cloud impacted the stage. A few seconds past before a large wight blade fanned away the lingering smoke revealing Winchester, his gleaming armor marred by couple of dents and scuffs but he was other wise unharmed. The wooden stage under his hooves was splintered and one bored had even snapped.
Twilight jumped to her hooves and looked to her friends, they didn’t know what to do but were ready to help how ever they could. Meanwhile Winchester breathed in and out slowly as he recovered from being launched by his opponents magical attack. Sombra was a stronger opponent then he thought. the black stallion may even be better then him, but Winchester refused to yield.
Sombra stepped out of a crystal portal on the other end of the stage as Winchester turned around to face him. He made sure he was on a sturdier part of the stage. Sapphire Shores found herself standing between two heavily armored ponies with massive swords. Winchester smiled as he said “i think we should take our duel else where? These ponies don’t need to see this” he realized the mics next to him were still working and all of the stunned crowd just heard him.
“dose thou fear defeat in front of those thou protects?” Sombra taunted his voice amplified by the working mics near him. He flipped his crystal blade around in his magical grip, it was creaked and chipped. Featherweight was proving to be the sturdier weapon. Sombra was happy in a strange way, his punishment was soon to come. He just needed to push Winchester to the point of killing him, and the only honorable way to do that was to not hold back on the less skilled warrior. Hopefully he would be leaving Equsitra in stronger hooves.
The Wonderbolts landed around the stage asking if everything was okay. Sombra only gave them a cursory glance before he said “yes yes this is beyond your show pony stature.” none of the six Wonderbolts took the insult well but stayed back he was armed and they were not.
Winchester rolled his eyes “yes everything is okay. Just the business of warriors.” he paused and said “and warriors business is no show for the normal ponies.” the look he gave the Wonderbolts was all they need too see to know they weren’t part of this business, even if they didn’t like it.
“in the past the disputes of warriors were settled publicly.” Sombra replied “in a setting much like this.” the black pony motioned to the stands and stage. the Wonderbolts helped Sapphire Shores off the stage. The crowd wasn’t sure how to react some ponies thought it was part of the show others looked around for a pony of authority to tell. However the closest pony to tell was the knight who was on stage right now. Twilight was worried, she didn’t want anypony to get hurt specially somepony in the crowd. The lavender mare was kicking herself now.
“hey Twilight.” Applejack said to get her friends attention “what should we do?”
Twilight took a deep breath “we need to get everypony out of here.” the bearers of harmony agreed. The group started to call out that everypony needed to calmly making their way out. A shiver ran through the crowd as they slowly responded to the Bearers of Harmony, if the ponies of Ponyville had learned anything in the last few years is that when Twilight and her friends say to do something you do it.
Winchester smiled as he glanced over at Twilight, that’s what he hoped she would do. Sombra sighed and said “well I guess thine wish has been granted.” he spun his sword around in his grip and charged. Winchester was never one too fight defensively so he charges as well.
The clashing swords rang so loud it shook the teeth of everypony in ear shot. Sombra jumped and flipped end over end with the crystal blade. Winchester easily blocked the three consecutive blows before swatting aside the black pony and jumping to the side ready to counter attack. Sombra called forth a crystal spike from the ground to distract the blue stallion and interrupt his strike. With a grimace Winchester the writer sliced through the crystal spire and it crumbled to dust as he pursued Sombra.
The two warriors parried and dodged each others mighty strikes. Their strength was a match, Winchester was faster and more agile but Sombra was more ruthless and skilled then Winchester. Sombra locked his sword with Featherweight in the air above, in response Winchester stepped forward and crossed horns with him too stop any spell casting. “fool!” Sombra growled as he disengaged swiping his crystalline horn across the blue stallion's face cutting him.
Even as Winchester lost his magical grip on Featherweight he spun around the same way and slammed his armored flank into the side of Sombra's head. The writer jumped away his left eye burned from the blood that ran down his forehead he caught Featherweight with his teeth and jumped. Sombra rolled to his hooves and pulled the crystal sword too him with his magic and swung his blade hard to turn away Winchester powerful downward chop. The Blue stallion kept on his target and dung his sword into the wood to vault himself forward and slammed his hooves into a thin flat crystal wall that Sombra summoned just in time.
Winchester kicked off the crystal wall as Sombra cut through the cracked wall to chase him. The two stallion's continued to clash, Sombra never let Winchester push any advantage he gained. Winchester was getting angry and that’s not the way to fight a foe like this and he knew it. it was then the blue stallion noticed that Featherweight was starting to really cut into Sombra's crystal sword. So Winchester changed up his strategy, he started to attack the sword rather then its wielder.
Sombra saw this new trick and smiled, it was clever and judging form the state of his crystal blade it would work. The black stallion would not give Winchester an easy victory, there would be no honor in it.
Suddenly spears of crystal burst out of the stage. Winchester cursed as one of the spears shattered on his chest, he jumped and bounced off another one. He cut through two more as he landed on his hooves. Sombra bellowed a battle cry as he jumped off a large spike he rode. Winchester wasn’t facing him but Featherweight was there to block the sword, Unfortunately this was when Winchester's plan worked. The abused crystal blade could take no more and Featherweight's magical edge through it. half of the blade bounced harmless off the blue stallion's back, sadly Sombra held the handle firmly in his teeth which still had half the blade of the crystal sword. The black warrior's aim was true, right at the weak point where the scale mail that cover Winchester's flanks was attached to his chest plate.
Twilight was ushering the last of the civilian ponies out the exit when the sound of tearing metal and a gargled grunt reached her ear. The lavender mare turned around to look at the stage. She gasped as she saw Featherweight fall to the wooden stage and Winchester staggering away from Sombra with a massive gash in his side. Blood poured from the wound, too much blood. The blue stallion gargled as he tripped over his dropped weapon. “that didn’t just happen.” Twilight said her mind couldn’t quite process what she had seen. It took a few seconds and the reaction of her friends to confirm what it was, Winchester had been probably killed.
A tear formed in Twilight's eyes as she realized what Sombra had done, despite the horrified look on his face she growled “how could you!” the mares coat flashed white as she drew magic from within herself.
Winchester felt cold not the normal cold that made your hooves numb and creaked your lips, it wasn’t the cold that a warm blanket and some hot soup could chase away. This was the cold grip of death. He dully heard a deep voice saying “no no what have I done” but Winchester couldn’t really hear it. He had cheated death so many times, but this time he couldn’t trick the grim mare into letting him go. Not like when he was a colt.
Sombra stood over the fallen stallion cursing his luck and skill, he didn’t want this it should be him lying on the ground bleeding out. He had to act fast, maybe he could save him. However before he could move a flash of light drew his attention. The stallion looked to see a beam of energy shoot from Twilight’s horn. He couldn’t move fast enough he would be punished after all just not by the pony he thought it would be.
A brief moment before Twilight's magical attack erased Sombra from the face of the planet Princess Luna suddenly appeared in front of him. She slapped the beam out of the air with her wing. The feed back almost knocked Twilight off her hooves. Now Twilight was very confused, but the lavender mare didn’t have time to think about it she had only seconds to spare. She ran and leaped onto the stage. She slid to a stop as Rainbow Dash and Flash landed behind her eyes on Sombra. Twilight yelled the words to a healing spell as she touched her horn to Winchester's side.
A heart beat later Winchester cough up a mouthful of blood. He gasped for breath like he had just about drowned. Spike walked over to the edged of the stage watching as Luna just stared at Sombra holding back tears, while the stallion looked up at her with wide eyes. Tears rolled down the princess's cheeks. Sombra couldn’t take it he was too ashamed and in a flash of magic he vanished before Luna could speck.
Twilight’s heart pounded in her chest as she rubbed Winchester's back to help encourage him clear out his lungs, he was breathing easier now he even smiled at her before coughing again. She looked around for her friends. Fluttershy had recovered from the shock and flew over to check on the once injured knight. She almost faint when she saw the pool of blood. Flash said something about being on watch and flew off while Rainbow Dash asked what was going on. Rarity, Applejack, Thunderlane, and Pinkie Pie hurried around the corner of the stage to see what was going on.
Princess Luna stood motionless staring at the spot where Sombra had been. She realized tears were rolling down her cheeks and that her subjects shouldn’t see her cry. She hid her sadness with her wing as she attempted to compose herself.
It only took little over a minute for the princess to get a hold of herself, she finally looked at Twilight as she told Winchester to sit down. Fluttershy was trying to help make the knight relax. The others were looking around trying to figure what too do. all of them looked too Luna for detections. “gather around everypony, all will be explained.” she finally said.
the smaller ponies circled around their princess of the night. Pinkie never broke eye contact with her so not to see the puddle of blood, it didn’t work every well. Winchester stood at attention despite being very unsteady on his hooves, Twilight looked at him very upset before she pushed his rump down with both hooves. He lowered his ears and looked at her asking for sympathy, all he got was knowing smile.
The mortal ponies looked up at Luna waiting for answers, she just closed her eyes and lowered her head. Her words were not an answer, they were too an ancient spell that not even Twilight knew. Beneath Luna lines of ethereal magic spread from her hooves, the blue lines wrought words in the oldest of the arcane tongue. The runes spread out till they surrounded everypony. Then in a flash all ten ponies had vanished. Flash landed on stage again, he looked around confused “where'd everypony go?”