• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 935 Views, 7 Comments

Shards of Nightmare - Stonedpony



the bearers of harmony are sent to retirve peices of Nightmare moon, however they have some "he

  • ...
 7
 935

Rebulding

Rebuilding

Twilight trotted down the streets of Ponyville with a smile on her face, it was hard to believe that just a few days ago the town had been attacked by centaurs and that she was fighting to defend all Equestria from the beasts. like all ponies Twilight Sparkle was quick to recover from trauma, just like the town she lived in. in just those few days the damage done by the centaurs was all but completely repaired. The mare assumed that was how it was all over Equestria.
The mare continued on her way to Market Street, she needed to pick up a few things for dinner. She also promised Spike she would buy beat burgers and shakes for lunch. As she walked pass the mayors office she noticed something new. A train of large empty carts, but they were not what interested her, but the small cart at the end of the train was. To anypony else it was just a normal two wheeled wagon that had seen better days, however Twilight could see something mystical about it.
Twilight Sparkle walked over to the wagon and cast a detection spell, it was so heavily enchanted that it covered her horn in static. she continued to inspect the cart as its owner trotted out of the mayors office holding a envelop. Curiosity over come Twilight, she climbed into the cart with out thinking and started pulled on one of the drawers. Her horn crackled more as the enchanted drawer refused to open.
The owner of the cart arrived and looked up at the lavender mare. His solid gold eyes belied his ability to see. “um excuse me lass.” he blinked he could swear that he had seen this mare some where before. The morning sun glinted off the stallion's cutie mark a set of three, four pointed stars with a ribbon in a shape of a heart between them.
Twilight looked up at the tall teal earth pony, he wore a brown vest with a few chest pockets. His forelegs were covered in thick steel grieves. The mare blushed realizing she had just climbed into this strangers cart and was trying to go through his things. “oh sorry sir.” she jumped out of his cart, the stallion was still trying to figure out where he knew her from. Twilight wasn’t sure what to say, so she just apologize again.
despite the blatant invasion of privacy, the teal earth pony simply smiled faintly as he spoke in a thick Fetlock accent. "My sister Soulful Eyes is quite skilled when it comes to enchanting. Each piece of it was separately crafted and enchanted by my own sister. the enchantments are ingrained into the metal and wood itself and 'as multiple inlaid runes that are hidden inside to nullify attempts to dispel the enchantments." He smiled at her, she had to have been a student of magic. His sisters work was always something to behold.
Twilight blinked as she listened to the new comer, “oh..your sister is very skill enchanter I haven’t seen any this good in a long time.” she smiled and giggled “guess I got carried away.” she shook the static off her horn and continued “oh where are my manors. I'm Twilight Sparkle and you are?” she held out her hoof to shake his.
The teal earth pony relaxed and smiled a bit more as the purple mare commented upon his sister's work. He gently shook her offered hoof as she introduced herself. Her name nagged the back of his mind, like he ought to know this pony... "Gilded Legacy of Hoofington. Well met miss Sparkle. I'm sure she would appreciate your compliments." Gilded paused and taped his chin with a plate armored hoof, he was sure he had heard this mare's name before.
Something to do with the Bearers of Harmony maybe, who had grown to something of a nigh mythological renown at this point after all the absurd incidents that occurred in past couple of years. He voiced his curiosity, "Excuse me Twilight...I swear that I have 'eard your name before, or am I mistaken?"
Twilight blinked and looked at him confused “well, I'm Princess Celestia's personal student, and the bearer of the element of magic.”
“and one of the most powerful magic users in the world.” Winchester said as he approached “capable of laying low entire armies with but a bat of her eyelash.” the writer continued as he nodded to Gilded “a feat even I can’t mach.”
Gilded was awestruck, to the point of he almost forgetting to breath. This was Celestia's Protege and the bearer of Magic. He stared at the mare with wide eyes and mouth a gap as Twilight turned to look at Winchester and said “i don’t think I’m that powerful. You defeated Triek.”
Winchester waved his hoof dismissively “i merely held him to his throne room, you tore his godly powers from him and made him mortal so that I may slay him with the power of our princesses. I said it that day the victory was all yours.”
Twilight rolled her eyes “then why did you want to be called Winchester the god slayer from now on.”
“Causes it sounds cool.”
Gilded looked at the shaggy maned knight “W...Winchester...It is good to see you again, old friend.” the timid teal pony said weakly with a faint smile. Gilded had worked with Winchester and a few other knights before and for one of them to speck so highly Twilight then it must mean the stories were true. Even his sister's most innovative masterpieces would be nothing but an arts and crafts project in comparison to what the lavender mare could create with her magic.
Winchester smiled at the teal pony “its good to see you too my friend.”
Twilight looked back and forth between the the two stallion's “so you too know each other.” the mare was surprised but it made scene Winchester did do a lot of adventuring before he settled in Ponyville.
Winchester nodded and smiled “yeah Gilded is an old friend. Got me through some hard times and has been instrumental in several victories.” he trotted over to his friend and hugged him. “its been too long.”
Gilded smiled and nodded in agreement, and although he hadn't expected the embrace of his old friend, he didn't mind the sentiment. After all that had happened over the years, it was a welcome gesture. "Aye, it 'as Winchester. I am glad that you are still alive after all this time. Everyday I fear I may read in the papers you have joined the rest of your friends." it took a moment for Twilight to understand what he meant.
“that day should be a long way off.” Winchester laughed.
Gilded stepped back and looked at Twilight, he bowed low and closed his eye. "And I must say, thank you Twilight Sparkle, for all that you and your friends 'ave done. If you ever require my assistance, you need but ask. My strength is yours to command."
Twilight blinked and said “Thank you.” she wasn’t use to how this pony was reacting to her. Gilded rose with a smile that the mare returned before looking between the two friends “i guess you two want to caught up?”
“i would love to but I'm very busy. I have to gather supplies and donations to help rebuild a little town that was heavily damaged by centaurs.” he sighed “although I don’t know where any of these places are.” he checked his the list the mayor had given him, he looked to the bearer of harmony and asked “i don’t wish to impose.” he chuckled “but could you tell me where the bank is miss Twilight?”
“of course.” Twilight replied with a smile “i can even show you all around town?”
“I’ll help too.” Winchester said fanning insult “not like I haven’t been helping you for years.”
“I'll help too.” Pinkie said suddenly appearing next to Twilight, Gilded jumped straight up and clung to a street light panting in fear.
A few minutes and a couple of introductions later the four ponies made their way to the bank. “so what are you doing here Gilded?” Pinkie asked while balancing a letter on her nose.
“well miss Pinkie.” Gilded said solemnly “I’m gather supplies to help the relief and rebuilding efforts for the small town of Bridle View.”
“dose their ill luck still hold?” Winchester asked
“indeed it dose.”
“damn.” Winchester sighed.
“what happened?” Pinkie asked.
“well not every town is as lucky as Ponyville.” Gilded answered.
“what do you mean?” Twilight asked as Pinkie flipped the letter over on her nose as she listen.
“Ponyville sits in the shadow of Canterlot.” Winchester explained “Five whole companies are garrisoned there. That's Over 2000 troops to defend only three towns. Most of the keeps that defend the small towns of Equestria are at best two companies defending five towns.” the knight sighed.
“large towns have their own guards.” Gilded continued “but those are only the biggest cities. Luckily that set up is normally enough to defend us, With some help from the knights of course.”
Winchester chuckled “we do what we can to protect the peace.” he smiled.
“indeed.” Gilded replied, Equestria's roads were safe for the most part but Gilded had met his fare share thieves.
“oh.” Twilight exclaimed. “how bad was the town damaged?” she asked hopping to get back on topic.
“pretty bad.” Gilded answered “Bridle Views defenses are comprised just few town Guard troopers and a Griffin and his daughter.” Winchester snorted at the mention of the griffins.
“that sounds bad.” Pinkie commented as the group came to the bank, she split off to trot over to long distance mail box.
“Whose the letter for Pinkie?” Twilight ask distracted from her thoughts.
“oh a friend in Canterlot.” She giggled as she slide the letter in the box with rosy cheeks.
The mares hurried inside the bank. They watched as Winchester helped Gilded bypassed most of the papers he would have to sign. “so guys is there any way we can help?” Twilight Sparkle asked. Pinkie nodded the gears in her head starting to turn formulating plans on how to help, all of them involving parties.
Gilded looked at her and bowed “i could not ask you to give any more then you already have.”
“although if some of the Bearers of Harmony show up that will give Bridle View hope.” Winchester said as the teller returned with several large bags of bits.
“true” Gilded said as he looked at Twilight and Pinkie, while Winchester picked up the bits the teller brought to them “the mayor did give me almost double the bits I ask for. I was kind of hopping to hire extra workers but-”
“i never said we wanted to get paid.” Twilight said almost offended that he thought she wanted bits. “we just want to help.” the group was making their way back to Gilded's wagon train.
“umm Twilight?” Pinkie interjected, the lavender mare look at her pink friend disappointed. The pink earth pony lower her head and ears. “i want to help I really do but the Cakes need me too.” she pouted.
“that’s very adult of you Pinkie.” Twilight said nodding.
“i might have an idea.” Winchester said drawing the mares attention. “we could do some free advertising for them, if they provide some food for Bridle View”
Gilded nodded “and the food would be very appreciated. The towns crops were all be completely destroyed.” he jumped into the back of his cart. The teal earth pony used a hoof to open one of the drawers by simply touching it.
“oohh that's definitely bad.” Pinkie said jumping in the air. “I’ll go talk to the cakes right now.” with out another word she was gone.
Gilded blinked “shes fast.” the stallion said before started to look through the drawer.
“yeah.” Winchester and Twilight answered together.
Twilight shrugged and looked back at Gilded “what you looking for?”
“A key”
“for what?”
“you’ll see.” Gilded said as he found said key and hoped out of the cart. “ponies are trust worthy folk but you still cant leave money bag like these just laying about.” he trotted up to the front of his personal cart, the tall stallion slide under it and used the key to unlock something. He popped back out and a section of the under side of the cart slide down. He grinned as he opened the hidden drawer. The whole time Twilight was trying to find where the hidden compartment came from.
Gilded smiled as he looked in the new draw and said “oh that’s where you are.” he pulled a hammer out of the space and tossed it in the cart saying “find a place for you later.” he nodded to Winchester.
the knight was still impressed with hidden drawer as he stuffed three of the bags in the drawer. “you think you can get your sister to do something like that for my armor?” he raised an eye brow as Twilight pushed pass him to get a better look at the drawer
“Amazing.” the lavender mare said as she cast about half a dozen detection spells on the drawer. Her who body was covered in magical static.
Gilded chuckled “after what happen last time you too met I don’t think so.” he shook his head.
“I'M BACK!” Pinkie pie yelled suddenly appearing behind Gilded, who jumped up and clung to a street light that bent under his weight. The pink mare laughed “sorry!” Winchester was on his back laughing. Twilight hadn't even noticed she was too busy looking at the cart with a magnifying glass.
After Gilded had climbed down from the light and closed the hidden drawer, under Twilight's close examination. She commented that the enchantments on the cart were the best she had even seen, other then the ones done by Celestia herself which were in a league of their own. Pinkie explained that the Cake's had completely agreed and had put all other orders on hold to make bread and cakes for the town of Bridle View
“well now that, that’s out of the way we should gather your team and head too.” Twilight pause to let Gilded fill in the blank.
“Hammer'n Nails lumber and supply.” Gilded said as he hitched himself to the leads of the train.
Twilight blinked and was about to say something when Winchester cut her off “its this way buddy.” he trotted down the street and Gilded followed pulling the heavy train as easily as a team of ponies would.
“Wow hes as strong as Big Mac.” Pinkie yelled from the middle cart.

* * *

It was late afternoon as Gilded pulled the wagon train down the road between Cabbage Radish Fields to Sweet Apple Acres. Most of the carts were full, two with wood and other building supplies while the rest were full with fruits and vegetables. Pinkie rode on the back of one of the vegetable filled carts making up a song about turnips as she and Twilight listened to Gilded talk about his family. It took all day to get the shy pony open up.
“Hey, I think I've met your sister.” Twilight mentioned. “It was before I discovered how empty my life was without friends.”
“Ah, I am sure that you and Soulful Eyes would be good friends.” Gilded said with a soft smile. he shifted his gaze toward the lavender mare beside him and continued. “her thirst for knowledge is quite impressive.”
Before Twilight could reply Rainbow Dash dove down out of no where and yelled “BOO.” in Gilded's face, the thin stallion jumped out of the harness and into the cart behind him disappearing under the produce. Rainbow Dash and Winchester fell on their backs laughing while Pinkie giggled from the cart as Gilded peeked out from under a barrel.
“that wasn’t very nice.” Twilight said hiding her amusement with a fore-hoof.
“Sorry.” Pinkie said as her giggles died down “but its all in good fun.” she helped Gilded out of his hiding place with a warm smile.
Winchester stood laughing “by Celestia's mane I never get tired of how jumpy you are.”
Rainbow Dash laughed as she flew up to Gilded and held out a hoof to help him down “no hard feelings, it was Pinkie's idea.”
“Nuh uh, it was Winchester's.” Pinkie said with an cheery grin as she passed the blame.
Gilded chuckled nervously weary that they may possibly try to scare him again “its quite all right your smiles are enough to make it worth it.”
after introducing Rainbow Dash the group continued on its way. Sweet Apple Acres wasn’t that far away. Big Macintosh was trotting along hitched to a cart load of freshly bucked apples. The quite stallion stopped and stared with his mouth slightly agape as he watched a single skinny stallion pull a seven cart train in front of his farm house. “Howdy Y'all.” Big Mac greeted as the new arrivals waved at him. The big red stallion unhitched himself from his own cart.
“so what brings y’all around here.” Big Mac said as he joined the group.
“Gilded here has an order for Bridle View” Twilight said for Gilded as he unhitched himself.
Big Mac rubbed his forehead as he thought. “oh yeah.” he said “Applejack's got yer order in the barn, but if Ah were you Ah'd wait a little bit. Betsy’s in thur birth'n a calf.”
“ohhh a calf, I've never seen one being born before.” Pinkie Pie said with a laugh as she bolted off toward the barn.
“Pinkie! Wait you...may....not.” Twilight trailed off as Pinkie turn the corner and ran into the barn. The lavender mare looked to Rainbow Dash as she walked up beside her. “think we should just let her learn of her own?”
“yeah.” Rainbow Dash replied with a huge grin.
Meanwhile Big Mac looked at Winchester who was grinning ear to ear, the red stallion raised an eye brow and asked “Whats so funny.” Gilded knew that look on knight's face, he never liked it.
“oh nothing.” Winchester said trying not to laugh “its just that your face is as green as the apples on your butt.”
“ah'm not jealous Chester.” Big Mac replied knowing that name annoyed the knight something awful.
“watch it there buddy you may get you jealous butt kicked twice today.” Winchester replied.
“ah haven’t seen it happen once today.”
“uh guys we don’t need to-” Gilded was cut off by Winchester.
“50 bits you cant pull this train to down the road and back.”
“oh...ah thought you were going to make it interesting.” Big Mac said in his normal slow but confident manner.
“I'll throw in a lunch.”
“for mah family.”
“Done.” Winchester said shaking Big Mac hoof after spiting on it. Gilded jumped out of the way pair as the made their way to the harness.
Twilight sighed as she gently rubbed Pinkies back. the pink mare was hunched over a bucket, heaving up just about everything she had eaten that day. “i tried to warn you.” Twilight said while Pinkie sobbed about how gross birth was.
Rainbow Dash nodded agreeing with her “and some ponies say its a beautiful thing.”
“i don’t think they mean the actual act.” Twilight said a little queasy herself.
“me ether.” Fluttershy meekly agreed as she flew out of the barn drying her hooves on a wash cloth. “but the calf is out and Applejack is cleaning him up, so he'll be cute soon.” she smiled. the pegasus had come to help with the birth.
“Good.” Pinkie said suddenly standing up hearing the new good. Twilight shook her head as, Applejack trotted up to the group not quite as clean as Fluttershy.
“Calf's up.” the hat wearing mare said “Betsy's thinking about naming him Billy.”
“Cows have weird names.” Rainbow Dash commented, Fluttershy nodded as she flew back inside saying she need to give the calf a check up.
“Howdy girls.” Applejack greeted her friends, “Now Ah'm pretty sure that y’all didn't come over just to see a newborn calf, so what brings my best friends around here today?”
“We're helping a charity.” Pinkie Pie answered with a big smile.
“I believe you have an order for Bridle View.” Twilight added as she lead Applejack and the others over to Winchester and Gilded. The writer was smacking his head on the post of the Apple family porch, the teal pony watched concerned. He didn’t know how or if he should comfort his friend.
Applejack smiled at Gilded, and said “Howdy sir, if ya got the bits Ah got your order.”
hearing her Gilided decide to momentarily ignore Winchester's attempts to facially merge with the wooden post. Graciously, yet timidly, the dark teal earth pony smiled and said "Aye. Allow me to fetch the bits miss. Their.....just....in...mah cart" Gilded turned to the empty space next to him and sighed.
“Heeey.” Pinkie said slowly as she looked around, before asking. “Where's the train?”
“And Big Mac?” Rainbow Dash added. Twilight turned around as she scanned the Apple farm and indeed both the train and Big Macintosh had vanished.
“Winning a bet.” Winchester answered simply, apparently bored of using his head as an impromptu hammer.
A few minutes later, the big red stallion returned trotting up with the whole seven cart train in tow. Big Mac meandered over to where other ponies were by the porch after parking the carts in front of the barn, prompting the blue stallion to reluctantly fork over the bits owed to him, followed by a "Eeyup." Everypony else couldn't help but laugh a little at the amusing exchange.
Applejack waved Gilded into the weathered barn. Twilight, Winchester, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash began loading the order into the carts, under Big Mac's humble supervision. the enthusiastic pink mare started to sing her catchy turnip song, the other four soon joined her.
Inside the barn The two earth ponies walked past some sheets strung up to provide privacy for the mother cow and her calf, the pair found a small workbench to place the rustling bag of bits on and set to work on counting it all. Applejack did the math in her head and made a guess of how much he needed to pay. Gilded started to count of the bits as Applejack checked her math with a calculator and told him the correct amount, she had been pretty close in the first place.
As Gilded counted out bits a question that had been nagging Applejack scene she got the order came to mind. Why did a Town need so much food? Surely they had their own farms or other places closer that could lend them some. Eventually, she asked. "Hey, uh, Gilded...Ah've been meaning to ask...Why does Bridle View need so much food? I know it's charity an' all, but why didn't they buy from a closer town? Somethin' bads happened hasn't it."
The dark teal earth pony averted his golden eyes from the orange mare, not wanting to reveal how awfully bothered he was by the facts as he answered in a somber tone "You would be right Miss Applejack, it is bad. Villages, farms, and small towns like Bridle View that were unfortunate enough to be in the centaur’s warpath were often razed and burned to the ground. Governmental aid is strained and spread thin enough as is, and from what I have heard, some families 're even 'aving to share houses."
Applejack frowned as she listened, and felt her stomach churn as she thought of how terrible that had to be, especially for the farming families. She couldn't imagine her entire crop being burned and completely unrecoverable. It would destroy her family. The orange earth pony stepped closer to him with sympathetic eyes and said. "...Ah...had no idea. You should have told me sooner...Ah couldn't ask you to pay for all that. It wouldn't sit right with me at all knowing things like that are goin' on."
Gilded looked at Applejack completely bewildered. He never expected anypony to offer 60 bushels of apples for free. "N-no, I couldn't possibly accept so much for free Miss Applejack! Please allow me to give fair compensation!"
Applejack's mind however was stubbornly set on the matter. she turned to leave the barn, forgetting the bits altogether. "No way, no how. those bits would better used helpin' those folks."
The teal pony looked back at the gold bits spilled out on the workbench, before he followed her out. "But, Miss, it's too much!"
Applejack stopped to watch the speckled that had become of loading the cart, her only critique would be they were singing about turnips rather then apples but then again seeing the big bad knight singing, she would take what she could get. Gilded was only distracted by the show for a moment before he said “miss Applejack I really don’t feel right about just taking your apples, their your lively ho-”
the stubborn mare quieted the stallion with a hoof to his lips “you sir haven’t met any of us Apples before have you.” she smiled at him from under her hat “once we make up our minds about something there’s next to nothing that can change it.” the singing died down so the others could listen “now your going to take what you ordered as a Donation.” she turned and walk to the garage behind the house where the family kept their carts. “and I'm going to hitch myself up to a cart load it with some more apples and seeds. Then I'm going to go with y’all to Bridle View, and I'm going to help them rebuild their house, resow their crows, and once their back on their hooves THEN I’ll worry about my lively hood. We've had some good sells this year so Ah think we can manage.” She stood firm and Gilded bowed, Big Mac raised an eye brow from where he stood he could see that the bits where still on the table.
“I see I can not sway you Honest Applejack.”
“What are you talking about?” Rainbow Dash asked, she looked at Winchester and Twilight then flew over to Gilded “is it really that bad?” the shy stallion nodded. “i bet they could use all the help they can get?” Gilded nodded again “well I'm coming too.”
“Me too.” Fluttershy's meek voice came from the barn door “I'm not a doctor but I'm sure I can help.”
“it seems that all of the Bearers of Harmony are going to aid Bridle View” Gilded said to which all of the mares cheered. “well then I guess all of you need to pack so I’ll meet you at the south end of town.” Gilded's new traveling companions all agreed and left to do just that.
Big Mac trot up to the tall teal pony and held out half a bag of bits and said “don’t tell mah sister.” he then headed out to continued to work the fields. Gilded check the bag and it had a little over half what it should have been. Which was about what he originally owed the Apples with a discount.

* * *

Twilight appeared in a flash at her front door startling Ditzy Doo as she made the last rounds of the day. After a sheepish apology the lavender mare made her way inside. “SPIKE pack your things we're going on a road trip.” She yelled.
Spike was standing by the check out desk with his arms crossed and a Raised eye brow. “you Forget something?” the dragon said taping his foot.
“oh crap. be right back.” Twilight said before bolting out the door, she completely forgot she was suppose to get beat burgers for lunch and it was almost dinner time.

* * *

it was past dinner time as Twilight, her friends and Gilded waited for Winchester to join them. Pinkie had her own cart of baked good hitched too her, while Applejack had a large cart of apples. Fluttershy was double checking her saddle bags. Rainbow Dash trotted in place already bored.
“where is he?” Twilight asked with Spike on her back and a couple of saddle bags over her flanks. She hoped she had packed everything. She didn’t have time to triple check her list.
“just what do you think your doing.” The group heard Rarity yell, as a pony in a padded white outfit with a fine mesh face shield covering her features, but the purple tail confirmed who it was.
“We're going out of town,” Twilight said as Rarity remove her helmet and shook the bun out in her mane. Winchester trot up beside the mare holding a bag of potato chips.
“And you were going to do this with out me?” Rarity asked offended “i know where your going.”
“we didn’t think you would want to go on a road trip with a bunch of camping and all.” Applejack said worried they may have hurt their friends feelings.
Rarity held her head high as she said “well I never.” she sighed but kept her stance, Winchester watched the whole exchange while eating potato chips. “no I don’t like camping but if there are ponies in need I want to help them. Now I know my specialty is beautification but I can be quite useful. Besides if it got that the element of Generosity didn’t go to help a town when the others have. Well do you know what that could do to my reputation or business.” she looked at her friends for a moment “but the REAL point is that there are ponies in need of help and WE are ALL going to help them.” her friends averted their eyes and kicked at the ground a little sad “good. We'll leave first thing in the morning.”
“well I do have a sc-”
Rarity cut the teal stallion short. “i need time to pack and I’m pretty sure my friends have cut some corners while packing so quickly.” her friends all agreed, and they hurried back to their homes to really pack for a trip. Gilded glared at Winchester as the knight finished his small bag of chips, this wasn’t the first time Winchester had done something like this. The knight just gave him a dismissive smile and showed Gilded to a good hotel.
The next morning right on time the group came back together and headed out of town in a much more organized manor. They sang and laughed, Pinkie Pie even brought her record player. She had asked her friends to bring some of their own records for the trip. The first few days of the trip were full of fun. Although Twilight noticed the closer they got to Bridle View the more distance Winchester seemed. Jokes still made him laugh and singing made him smile, but there just seemed to be something bothering him. Twilight asked Gilded if he knew what was wrong with him. The shy stallion said that if he wanted them to know he would tell them.
It wasn’t till the fourth night out Twilight Sparkle got the real answer. It was very late at night, it could almost be considered morning. Twilight awoke with a dry mouth, she guess she was sleeping with her mouth open. The mare sat up with half close eyes as she looked around. Applejack and Fluttershy were by her side, they were each happily tuck in their sleeping bags. Rainbow Dash was fast asleep on her little cloud near by. Pinkie Pie was close by covered with a blanket the same color as her mane, the hyper active mare couldn’t even be still in her sleep. She gently kicked her legs like a dreaming puppy. The overly complicated tent to Twilight's right concealed Rarity. Gilded was asleep too, the teal stallion didn’t seem to sleep all that much. He said something about dreams that made it hard to do so. The workers they had hired were also asleep in their own little camp not too far away.
Twilight Sparkle slipped from her own sleeping bag. Despite how comfortable it was she wasn’t sure how she felt about the lavender bag with her Cutie Mark displayed on the outside of it. She hoped the money made from her and her friends likeness was being put to good use.
“surprised it took you that long to wake up.” Winchester said as the lavender mare searched for her canteen.
“huh.” Twilight replied as she drank her fill.
Winchester chuckled as he poked at the fire with a stick “you looked like you were trying to catch bugs.” he looked up at her with a sad smile. “though for sure you would've woken up when you swallowed that wasp.”
“WHAT.” Twilight almost yelled. She covered her mouth hoping she didn’t wake her friends. The only response she got was Spike rolling over in his own sleeping bag.
The knight chuckled without mirth. “I’m kidding”
Twilight Sparkle shook her head and rolled her eyes before she asked “So why are you still up?”
the stallion sighed “its Bridle View.”
“oh.” the mare said as she sat down next to him. “well we're all worried about it, but that’s why we're going there to help it.”
Winchester smiled at the younger mare “its not that.” he sighed and let his head fall.
“maybe talking about it will help you feel better.”
“it was a long time ago and just one of the many sad stories in my life.” Winchester replied looking into the fire. “i normally just drink the memory away.”
“that’s not good for you.” Twilight smiled. “i can help.”
“okay you asked for it.” Winchester said before he took a deep breath. “i was 17, I had been adventuring for about a year when I heard that Bridle View was being raided by rouge griffins.” the stallion stared at the fire. “the guard were dealing with others things that I cant remember any more. So I headed to the town, bent on proving my worth as a warrior and I arrived just in time.”
“it wasn’t the first time I fought beside guards but it was the first time my skills completely out shined them.” Winchester continued “with the town burning around us we drove the beast from it.” Twilight could almost see swords clashing with claws reflected in the stallion's eyes. “afterwords I helped to search for wounded and that’s when I met her. ” Winchester smiled sadly thinking back too the time “the mayors daughter Southern Belle, she was every bit as elegant as Rarity and as hard working and strong as Applejack.” he looked at Twilight and chuckled “Cupid didn’t miss his mark that day, and arrow only worked itself deeper over then next few days.”
Twilight giggled and was about to say something but the sad look in Winchester's eyes stop her words in her throat. “on the forth day I marched out of town with her colors around my neck intent on avenging the town and bringing the beasts to justices.” the knight smiled as he looked up at the sky “i found their lair in the mountains soon enough. I brought the wrath of Bridle View down on them......none of them stood a chance.”
Twilight bite her lip she was sure the sad part of the story was coming. “i took the leader as my prisoner.” Winchester slumped down almost as if the weight of his action was still on his shoulders “i thought it was so I could bring him to Justice but it was really just my pride. I dragged him back to Bridle View to feed my growing ego. I feasted with the mayor and his daughter. That night was another first.” he looked at Twilight letting his face finish that part.
“oh.” Twilight mouthed realizing he meant it was his first time with a mare.
“as I returned to my hotel room late in the night I heard the fire alarms.” Winchester was coming to the end of his story. “i grabbed my sword and that’s about it and ran to where the fire was. The police station was already half burned down by the time I made it there, apparently a few of the griffins had escaped their retribution.” the knight stared into the embers in front of them as he thought of the flames in his past. “by the time the fire was out the mayors house was ablaze as well........i ran as fast as I could to get there.” his whispers became more intense “the griffin burst from the front door like a demon of tartarus with Belle in his claws. He stood little chance ageist my rage but I was too late.” he looked at Twilight with his sad eyes. “Griffin claws are as unyielding as steel.”
Twilight covered her mouth with a hoof as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. “I’m so sorry.” she wrapped her hooves around the armored pony, the mares tears flowing freely.
With only Twilight there the stallion felt safe enough too allow the emotions he thought he dealt with long ago to surface and be let go. A few tears rolled down his cheeks. “feel better?” Twilight Sparkle asked as her tears slowed.
“yeah.” Winchester nodded with a sniffle “although that was just the first time fate broke my hart.”
Twilight held up her hoof to Winchester's lips and said “i think I've had enough for one night.” she giggle feeling very drained and tired. “you should get some sleep.” she smiled at him, the stallion couldn’t help but smile back.
“you too.” Winchester replied with a long yawn. Twilight giggled as she snuggled back up into her sleeping bag while Winchester just curled up were he sat. he drifted off to much better dreams then he had as of late, although Twilight’s sleep wasn’t as restful as she would have liked.
The next few days were much like the first even Winchester was having tons of fun, Twilight was glad that a night of bad dreams was worth helping a friend. Although he did develop a loosing strikes of bets with the gang. Namely with Rainbow Dash and Applejack, dash was faster on two hooves then he was on all four even without his armor. And Although the stallion was about as strong as Applejack, she was more adept at bucking fruit from trees. The only bet he won was a starring contest with Pinkie but that was only for the last honey cake one morning.
On the last day of the trip the group found itself on a mountain road, although it was better described as a cliff side road. Bridle View was on the other side of the mountain range. Gilded lead the way, Twilight was beside him to keep him company. They were talking about nothing in particular as they came across a crude gate baring their path. Before they could question what it was for, three diamond dogs ran out from behind a rock. Two were large and gray with short snouts and large teeth, their poorly fitting helmets hug over their eyes. The rest of their armor didn’t fit much better and was covered in rust and dents. The dog on the left had large arms and held a rusted iron shield and a large spiked mace. The other had a crossbow, he aimed it at the ponies.
The third dog was shorter and wore nicer armor and a short sword was belted at his waist. He was black and brown, he had a long snout with razor sharp teeth. He shook a little as he said “you in land of the mountain king, Yes. Pay mountain toll. Yes.” he rubbed his paws together, his jagged claws on display.
“Toll?” Twilight said confused that wasn’t right there shouldn't be any toll roads in Equestria run by diamond dogs.
“A toll.” Gilded looked around “i was unaware there was a toll.”
“yyyeeesss.” the black dog chuckled still rubbing his hands together sinisterly.
“well how much is it, I think there's room in the budget.” Gilded said as he unhitched himself he was moving deliberately slow, like he was waiting for something.
“all, yessss.” the diamond dog hissed.
“All.” Twilight replied suspicious.
“yeesss all the mountain king demands all.” the black dog laughed “all your shinnies, all your gems yess all of yo-”
In a flash of lightning Winchester appeared between the ponies and the dogs. the startled dog fired his cross bow, the stone bolt shatter ageist the knight chest plate. If looks could kill the glare Winchester gave him would have rendered all three dogs desiccated corpses. “What is going on here.” the knight demanded.
“nothing.” the black dog said his tail between his legs “yes nothing.” he chuckled.
“their demanding a toll.” Twilight said glaring at the diamond dogs as she stepped beside the knight.
“A toll? by whose right?”
“mountain king.” the dog replied falling to his knees. “mountain king idea yess not our idea yess, hisss.” the two larger dogs were trembling so bad it threaten to shake their armor loose.
Winchester growled as he drew his massive blade “by the order of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna goddess rulers of these lands, it is punishable by death to lay claim to any land without the proper authorization.” the dogs yelped and threw their weapons down before bolting around the rock and into the small patch of trees.
Twilight giggled as Winchester watched the dust settle on the small path the dogs and fled up. “how nice of you.” she said.
“their judgment will come.” he smiled as he tore the gate down and tossed it into the canyon. Gilded frowned while Twilight shook her head. The Knight stood guard on top of the rock the diamond dogs had used as shelter while the caravan move along. It wouldn’t belong now before they arrived in Bridle View.
As the caravan got farther away from the mountain the road became covered in soot, much to Rarity's dislike. With their destination in sight the group trudged through the gray barren landscape. they saw what had once been prosperous fields and orchards, that were now just ash choked earth and burnt husks. they saw a few broken families digging through the chard remains of what had once been their homes, searching for lost possessions or for supplies, while others were loading up carts. some had given up, and planned on moving onto new towns hoping for a new beginning. While the others toiled away ceaselessly, trying to start over where they stood.
As depressing it was, Twilight and her friends' determination to help was only strengthened. They were here to make a difference, and the dark teal pony could see that spark within their spirits as he looked at them with a teary eyed smile. The seven cart train filled with breads, fruits, vegetables, seeds, tools, lumber, and other construction material hadn't gone unnoticed. The scattered families approached eager to see if the caravan was real. Their curiosity was turned to joy by Pinkie Pie throwing some of the Cake's donations to them, all the while yelling “these all came from Sugar Cube Corner.” like she was told to.
Gilded Legacy lead the caravan into the town center, which had been fortified during the course of the centaur invasion. It was covered top to bottom in dented sheet metal and anything else of comparable durability. not a window wasn’t boarded up, and every building was charred or covered in ash. Even though the battle was long scents been won, it still felt like a war zone.
After parking the train and unhitching himself from the harness, the dark teal earth pony told a few of the Foremare's to inspect the damaged builds. Fluttershy felt her heart breaking as she saw family's looking out the broken windows of their homes. Twilight, Rarity and Applejack really didn’t know how to react, it didn’t seem real. Pinkie Pie wanted to go to each and every one of those ponies and give them a hug. Both Gilded and Winchester were strangely accustom to seeing the area burnt and the ponies acting like this.
Rainbow Dash had been taken by surprise by the whole scene as she hovered above the area, but a shadow caught her eye. She looked up to the clouds and noticed the black silhouette of a griffon flying above them. She pointed up at the creature with a forehoof and asked. "Hey, who's that?"
In a graceful dive, the newcomer swept down and landed with a light thud near the entrance of town hall, and it shook a little, trying to free it's feathers of soot. The thin curves revealed it to be female, her beautiful sapphire eyes stood out ageist her black fur and feathers. She smiled softly, as if seeing old friends again.
“Gilded... Winchester” She spoke as she stepped forward, her gaze focused on the two stallions. "I've missed you both. Thank you for coming, I knew you'd come through" as she drew closer, it was obvious that she had fresh scars all over her body, she wore them proudly. They were badges of honor earned in the fight for her home, as were the notches in the hook sword on her hip.
Twilight felt a little panicked as she saw the griffin. she remembered Winchester story, but as she watched the less than happy knight, he simple said. “Samantha.” He noticed how Twilight was looking at him as he said. “Meet Samantha Sa'rasha, one the only griffins whose presence I can tolerate.” The rest of the bearers of Harmony gave the knight a few sideways glances.
“Oh hey, lucky day. I've been upgraded to 'tolerated'...” Samantha teased Winchester, a smile at the edge of her sharp beak, and greeted the lavender mare "Hello, nice to meet you." she offered a talon to shake.
“hello I'm Twilight Sparkle.” The lavender mare replied shaking the offered claw.
Gilded rather 'subtly' fawned over the black griffiness as he approached. Brushing a few burnished golden locks away from his face, "Samantha, why didn't you tell me you were hurt?" the dark teal earth pony asked with a sad pout. He shifted closer to Samantha, to inspect each of her new scars as if they hurt him as much as the wound did her. Pinkie was confused as her teeth started to chatter.
Samantha awkwardly slid away from the teal pony and tried to hid her embarrassed. "Because it would have only made you worry more Gilded, and you have a habit of...well..." She paused, to think of a way to put it as nicely as possible. "Overreacting."
Gilded got the hint, and stepped back blushing. He looked downcast for a moment, and rubbed a forehoof over his other. "Ah, I suppose that is true..." He smiled faintly knowing she was right.
“hey Don’t forget about us.” Pinkie said with a giggle and a wave as the rest of Twilight's Friends gathered around her.
“Oh hi.” Samantha said. “you can call me Sammie.” she was glade to be distracted form the awkward stallion.
Pinkie Giggled as she bounced over to the griffiness and hugged her “hi Sammie I’m Pinkie Pie.” she noticed a twinkle in Gilded eyes as he looked at the griffiness.
“Names Rainbow Dash probably heard of me.” the blue mare greeted as she hoof bumped Sammie’s clawed fist.
“i am Rarity.” Rarity said with an elegant bow.
“pleasure to meet you.” Samantha replied with her own bow.
“pleasures all mine.”
“Howdy, I’m Applejack.” the country mare said with a tip of her hat.
“hi.” Fluttershy said quietly from behind her mane, Sammie was barely able to hear the mare's introduce herself.
“and this is Spike.” the lavender mare introduce the young dragon on her back, He waved.
Samantha taped her beak “you know I swear heard your names somewhere before.”
“that’s because those are the bearers of harmony.” an elderly southern voice called.
“WHAT.” the griffiness exclaimed, she didn’t really know what to do. So she just hit the ground bowing and asking to be forgiven.
“its okay.” Twilight said confused as were the rest of her friends
An older brown stallion with white mane and tail trotted up to the gathering. he wore a white vest with a black bow tie. He was flanked by a large griffon with orange eyes. He was black as the night other then a white patch of feathers on his chest that poke out over his chain male armor. On his back was a pair of matching hook shaped swords.
“Girls may I introduce you to Kentucky Colonel the mayor of Bridle View.” Winchester said holding out his hoof toward the stallion.
“and Q'uel Sa'rasha Samantha's father.” Gilded added knowing that Winchester would ignore the griffin.
Kentucky Colonel trotted up to the group and bowed “you honor us with your presents.”
“you need help so we aim to give it.” Applejack said proudly.
“your arrival will bring my town spirits up.” the mayor said looking at the large Griffon beside him “i believe a feast is in order.” the stallion looked up taping his chin “Ah think ah'll fry up some okra and green tomatoes....and cant forget the mash potatoes.” Winchester started to drool at the thought of the Colonel's cooking.
“sir are you sure that’s a good idea.” Q'uel asked looking at the pony.
“why yes with the bounty these god sends have brought, we'll have all we need.” the mayor answered.
“if you say so.” the large griffin said before he turned to his daughter “in the mean time Samantha how did your petrol go.” for the first time Winchester looked at the large male griffon.
“as well as it could have gone.” she replied “the diamond dogs haven’t moved any closer to the town, but their crawling all over the mountains.”
“they're raiding caravans.” Winchester added.
“thought so.” Q'uel said “we would have attempted to run the dogs out of the mountain but there are just a few of us.”
“very well.” Winchester sighed “i will destroy the mongrels.”
“Winchester we could probably use your help around here.”
“yes, Twilight” the knight said looking to the mare. “but you saw what those dogs were doing, what would happen if they got the courage to attack this town.”
Twilight blinked and nodded “i see what you mean.”
“besides sending me would be best. I am the only reliable way to insure that these beast are brought before their maker.” Q'uel snorted as Winchester spoke. The knight turned to Samantha and asked “do you know where they sleep?”
“the same place all the bad guys seem to go.”
the blue pony chuckled “do they not know the wrath of Bridle View will come down upon them their all the more swiftly.” Winchester said as he turned and started to trot off before looking to Q'uel and saying “if anything comes while I’m gone.....I’m relying on you to protect them.”
the mayor, Gilded, Samantha and especially Q'uel were very surprised that he would say something like that. Winchester stood staring at the griffon waiting for a responds. Q'uel nodded and said “by my life or death I shall protect your charges, sir knight of the gods.” Winchester nodded and galloped off into the sunset.
“well.” Kentucky Colonel said clapping his hooves together “lets get the food cooking and tell the town.”
Twilight smiled, she turned to her friends. “Well girls, I think we know the first thing we can do for the town.” After saying that, the lavender unicorn watched as her friends stood together in a line, waiting for her to tell them what to do. “Pinkie, Rarity, you two get the area ready for the festivities.”
“got'ya!” Pinkie Pie said with a silly salute before she zipped off in a blur.
Rarity bowed in her refined manner, and promised “I will insure that we will have the most fabulous decorations possible.”
“Nothing too fancy.” Twilight corrected the white mare. Rarity nodded, before she trotted off.
The bookish mare then faced the stetson wearing earth pony, she gestured toward Kentucky Colonel and said. “Applejack, you help the mayor cook.”
“Ah'm on it.” the Country mare replied.
The old bearded stallion nodded, and said “Ah say, Ah hope ya know yer way around a frier young lady.” in his charming down-to-earth dialect.
Applejack was quick to proudly and happily respond, “Ah'm an Apple sir, we can fry with tha' best of em. Ever had homemade Apple fries? Best little darn things you'd ever taste Ah tell ya, with that kinda crispy an' crunchy outside that leaves yer taste buds always wantin' more...-" the pair walked away discussing what they were going to cook.
Twilight continued on down the line to her next friend. “Rainbow Dash, you and Fluttershy go spread the word.”
“sure thing!” Rainbow Dash jumped into the air, adding. “Come on Fluttershy.” Without waiting to hear a reply, she flew off over the town. Fluttershy took a deep breath and flew the other way.
A few drawn out seconds went by as the dark teal earth pony and black griffiness waited, until Gilded finally asked. “um...Miss Twilight, is there anything perchance that we could do to help? ”
Twilight Sparkle smiled as she turned away from visualizing the layout of the coming outdoor gathering to face them. “Of course, Spike and I could use a hoof setting up tables.” she answered politely.
“TWILIGHT I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!” Pinkie Pie yelled suddenly appearing next to the lavender mare, once again startling Gilded and causing him to cling onto the nearest object. Which happened to be the griffiness beside him, and to Samantha's credit she did hold back her laughter, but not her smile.
“Yes Pinkie?” Twilight asked as Spike walked off to find some tables.
“Can we sing while we work?”
“Well, I don't see why not.”
“YAY!” The pink mare cheered as she hurried over to the record player.
“Just don't take too long picking a song.”
Luna's moon rose over the horizon as festival tables were set out so the town could eat together. All of the tables were placed in perfectly straight rows in front of a large but war torn stage. Twilight's obsessive need for every little thing to be symmetrical was starting to get on everyponies' nerves, specially the easily aggravated Griffiness. Eventually, an hour or so later, Kentucky Colonel, Applejack, and a few workers set out fresh and prepared foods, the fried delicacies smelled especially tantalizing. As the towns ponies filed into the fortified town square, their broken spirits slowly mended as they saw the simplistic yet colorful festival decorations Rarity and Pinkie Pie had set up for the event. For the first time in weeks, parents saw their foals smile.
The light of joy and laughter emanated from Pinkie Pie as she greeted each pony, offering a cup cake and a caring smile. they saw her and the effort she put into making them smile and the world no longer seemed as bleak as it had become...Yes, it was a solemn occasion for many, but the way she carried herself suggested her sympathy on so many different levels. More than a few foals found themselves hugging and clinging onto the pink mare as if she were a life preserver in a vast ocean, most only able to manage sob out their thank yous before being lead away. already infected by Pinkie's smile, the grin became an epidermic.
Rainbow Dash flew around and encouraged everypony to the enjoy festivities in her typical gunge-ho attitude. Some ponies were starting to recognize some of the bearers for who they were, most didn’t believe they were the real thing. Fate hadn’t been so kind so far why would it change now. Others were encouraged none the less even if they weren’t they were here to help.
After a worker was done sweeping the newly repaired stage the elderly mayor Kentucky Colonel stepped out in an old Equestrian Royal Guard uniform. he stood and waited for a microphone as ponies with slowly rising sprites milled about, found their seats or made their way through the meal lines.
"Welcome everypony.” the mayor began with his finely aged southern drawl. “Ah would like ta' first start off by humbly thankin' our kind guests for makin' this whole thang possible, none other then the bearers of harmony, and Bridle View’s two adopted sons Winchester and Gilded Legacy. Before they showed up in Bridle View this evening, Ah thought for sure it would become a ghost town in no time...Hardly nothin' was left, and other towns around us didn't fair much better."
Kentucky paused, then smiled wide. "Then they showed up, proud an' strong, pullin' carts full of a heap of help to our little town when nopony else could pony up...And they're even stayin' awhile to fix our town up! So, why not offer some good ole' hospitality? They've certainly earned it in mah book!"
Much of the audience clapped their hooves together in agreement, and quieted down as he started to speak again. This time, he was less energetic, but no less bold than before. "We also have ta' thank the folk that stood up when the centaurs were banging down doors and setting fire ta' everythang. Our peacekeepin' heroes that didn't back down when tha' chips were low and all seemed said an' done. Ah'd like y’all to stand, an' the rest of ya to give em a round of applause. We'll never be able thank ya enough for saving all our lives."
Samantha, her father Q'uel, a scarred pegasus stallion, a unicorn stallion with a eye patch, and about seven other ponies stood. A great cheer filled the air, and thrum of hooves stomping followed. They sat back down, and Kentucky finished his speech. Pinkie noticed a tinkle in Gilded eyes as he clapped for Samantha a little too long. The pink mare's Teeth started to chatter as she watched the two. “hhhheeeeyyyy my Pinkie Sense.” the mare said to the confusion of the a pony next to her, she didn’t have time to explain she had to get some help.
Rainbow Dash started off happily and humbly greeting the ponies that were now only trickling in, but after the mayor had revealed that the bearers of harmony had come, it wasn’t hard to figure out that the one with the rainbow mane was Rainbow Dash. When asked to confirm it the mare proudly proclaimed not only her name but more then a few of her accomplishments, on a whim she asked anypony wanted her autograph. A famous ponies autograph would help them right, at least they acted like it would. Rainbow Dash happily signed what ever was pushed in front of her, this included more then a few young mare flanks. Rainbow Dash's wings weren’t the only ones stiff as she scribbled her name over a pretty mare's cutie mark. More then a few fantasies played out in the minds of the single stallions, maybe if they played their cards right they would get to live some of them out. Nothing like a few 'bed room actives' to make you forget your woes.
All was going well till Applejack pushed her way through the line, the conservative mare snorted seeing Rainbow Dash's signing yet another mare's flank. “Rainbow we're here to help, not feed our egos.”
“Hey I’m helping.” Rainbow Dash countered, she looked around at her 'Fans' their smiles were genuine, right.
“oh come on, Even Rarity's being serous.” Applejack said pointing to their white friend, Rarity was smiling as she served soup. The mare didn’t even scream as a foal split tomato soup on her.
“I’m helping.” Rainbow Dash said to herself, now unsure. Applejack sighed and trotted away as another of Rainbow Dash's 'fans' begged for a picture with her.
While the townsponies were enjoying the feast Twilight Sparkle was hard at work. She was doing what she did best, organizing and planing. Who would go where, what supplies went where. Even with the feast tonight the town should have plenty of food to last till their crops start growing as long as the second caravan showed up tomorrow as scheduled, even if it didn’t if they stuck to her rationing everypony should be okay if not a few pounds lighter hopefully she hadn’t really done the math yet.
Her belly rumbled but before Twilight could stand to get some food Fluttershy set down a plate of fruit. Twilight thanked her yellow friend as she sat down. Fluttershy didn’t want to disturb her friend so she happily just sat with her and nibbled on an orange.
Twilight had barely taken a bite from her apple when Pinkie Pie appeared next to her yelling “Twilight my teeth are chattering.” loud enough to make Twilight jump and sending a small bit of apple down the wrong pipe in her throat. Fluttershy and Pinkie both pat her back as she coughed it back up. After a short lecture on why Pinkie Pie shouldn’t startle a pony whose eating, Pinkie apologized then explained what she was talking about.
“you probably just got a chill.” Twilight replied turning back to her plans.
“no no its my Pinkie Sense.”
“oh dear.” Fluttershy said as she hid behind her mane.
“and it happens every time I look at them” Pinkie said pointing at Gilded and Samantha as they talked about nothing in particular, and the pink mares teeth started to chatter.
“do you know what-” Twilight started to ask but cut herself off “I’m sorry Pinkie but I don’t really have time for this tonight.”
“how about tomorrow?” Pinkie Pie asked.
“maybe.” Twilight answered as she got back to the easy work, the real work began in the morning.

* * *

the next morning started early, with the plans she had made last night Twilight knew just where to send everypony “how can I help.” Spike asked as the mare sent workers and most of her friends off in just about every detection.
“um oh.” Twilight smiled and thought quickly. She needed a reason to not let Spike out of her sight. The night before the little dragon's enthusiasm and clumsiness had caused a few minor problems, she was luckily there to stop them form getting worst. She didn’t want to risk it today. “your my assistant so your going to assist me.”
“with-”
Spike was cut off by Pinkie Pie appearing again to yell “Twilight can you help me now?”
unfortunately Twilight had just taken a bite of her breakfast. After she had stopped choking and finished another short lecture, Twilight sighed and answered “and no Pinkie I cant help you with your Pinkie sense yet.” much to Pinkie's disappointment. The pink mare trotted off with her head low to find somepony else to help her.

* * *

Ash choked Applejack's lungs. She had done her fair share of tilling back on her own farm, but as back breaking as it was this was different. The earth of Sweet Apple Acres was fertile but it made you work for it. A days work of tilling and a few months of tending produced some of the best crops in all of Equestria, but she didn’t know if this land would grow anything and she wouldn’t be here to see if it did.
Applejack was strong easily as strong as any of the stallions tilling the fields around her, but she had only tilled about two and a half lines. She had been at it scents sunrise. She stopped to wipe her brow with a cool damp rag. A puff of ash floated over her, causing her to hack and cough. When she was done she wiped her nose with her rag, she regretted using her only means to cool herself off to wipe up the black snot. It was a scarey thought to know that stuff was inside of her.
She looked over at the section of the field next to hers, one of the workers coughed and wheezed till he fell to the ground only making it harder for him to breath. Applejack hurried to the stallion who was ironically named Ash. The soot covered orange mare hefted the suffocating pony on her back and hurried to the farm house. It was almost like Celestia had forsaken this land and was trying to burn it off the face of Equestria, and would smite anypony who tried to stop it.
“what happened?” the yellow mare who actual lived on the farm asked her name was Lemon Zest.
“choking on ash.” Applejack said she gently laid the stallion on her back in front of the mare.
“oh dear. That’s the third one this morning.” the mare rubbed the back of the stallion's neck, now that he was away from the ash the pony could actually start to breath again after he coughed up a small back cloud. “this happened to my son yesterday.”
“ah'm sorry ma'am hope it wasn’t too bad.” Applejack said with a tip of her hat.
“hes too stubborn to let something like that stop him.” she looked up Applejack “I’m very thankful that all of you have come to help but you don’t have to kill y’all selves on our regard.”
Applejack looked out over the fields, she could hear the faint sound of coughing and whizzing. “well ma'am I don’t plan on it but I have an idea how to make work a little easier.”

* * *

this felt so wrong, but so right. Rainbow Dash had gotten up early in the morning, as early as Applejack did. Not only that but she got up to do hard work. Someponies thought that the well known lay about pegasus was allergic to hard work because she normally avoided it like the plague.
Not today, even though there were no thrills in building a new what ever this building was, she was going to do it. Even if she didn’t know what it was she didn’t care as long as the town needed it. That said the stunt flier wasn’t exactly a skilled builder, sure she could hammer a nail just fine but even a foal could do that. Anything more complicated then that was almost beyond her, and after an incident where the wall she had been assigned to build fell on her and brought down both the walls connected to it, she was regulated to just fetching supplies for the other workers.
Rainbow Dash wanted to do more then just retrieving tools and supplies for others. After some pestering and begging the blue mare convected the foremare to let her help lift the walls into place. With out a mechanical crane, pegasi were next best thing.
Doing the job for a little over an hour was almost too much for the thin pegasus but she felt the need to prove she could do it as long as any of the stallions around her. Even as her wing muscles begin to burn with pain the mare continued to work. Dovetail a light pink and white earth pony mare was guiding the wall that Rainbow Dash was lifting into place when Applejack trotted up and called. “hey RD I need you to give me a hoof.”
“little busy at the moment.” the Blue mare replied trying not to show how hard she was straining to keep the piece aloft.
Dovetail soon called “okay hold it right there.” several other workers moved in and secured the wall in place. “okay we got it from here.”
Rainbow Dash released the ropes and dove down to Applejack, the country mare smiled at her knowingly. “what you need AJ?”
“well there’s this ash all over the fields”

* * *

“so explain to me again why I’m not just making a tornado that sucks up all the ash?” Rainbow Dash asked as she and Applejack stood just outside the black fields with the rest of the ash covered workers..
“well ah suppose that could work but ah heard that ash if mixed into the soil right helps it hold water for the plants.” Applejack replied “plus I'm pretty sure that a tornado would make an even bigger mess.”
“but I’m good at tornadoes.” Rainbow Dash countered.
“are you good at them when your wings about ta fall off?” Applejack teased, the apple farmer could read her blue friend like a book.
“they ain’t fixing to fall off I just loosened up a whole lot.” she smiled but it faded as Applejack just smirked at her “shut up, what kind of rain ya want?”
“well a nice even sprinkle everywhere to make sure everything nice and moist but not muddy.”
“want me to make you a cup of coffee too?” Rainbow Dash asked as she lifted off the ground.
“well now that you mention it.” the two mares laughed as the pegasus flew up to the cloud layer to gather some. It took only a minute or two for Rainbow Dash to get enough. Now it was time to make a rain cloud, the blue mare folded the cloud in half then again and again. With each fold the cloud got darker and darker.
“okay where do you want me to start?” Rainbow Dash asked as she brought the angry cloud down. The sound of softly rolling thunder emanated from the cloud. A few of the farm workers stepped back.
“here is fine?” Applejack said then trotted over to the corner of the field.
“okay stand back.” Rainbow Dash said as she pushed the cloud over then gave it a good kick with one hoof. A bolt of lightning burst from the cloud as it released its water on the ash covered ground. The blue mare laughed as she noticed that Applejack's mane tail and fur stuck out like metal spikes “told you to stand back.”
now it was Applejack's turn to say “shut up.” she shook herself to try and get her sparking mane and coat down again. It didn't help.
With the silliness out of the way Rainbow Dash got to work. In little over an hour Rainbow Dash had soak the whole of Lemon Lime Fields southwest quarter. After a few test plowing the problem had been fixed. Their was almost no ash being kicked up as the workers got back to work.
Applejack suggested that Rainbow Dash head over to the other farms and see if their having the same problems. As the pegasus flew away Pinkie Pie Appeared and yelling “WAIT RAINBOW DASH.”
“what is it Pinkie?” Applejack asked worried that something had happened. Rainbow Dash zipped back to hover beside her friends.
“i need your help with something really important.” Pinkie said dancing in place like she did when she was in a hurry. “my teeth were chattering.”
Rainbow Dash and Applejack were both confused “so?”
“its my Pinkie Sense.” Pinkie said “and I need-”
“Oh that.” Applejack said holding up her hoof “Twilight mention something about that but we don’t have time to play with you Sugar Cub.”
“but but it could be really important.” Pinkie said disappointed.

* * *

Fluttershy smiled as she finished adjusting the cast on the leg of the little pink and blue pegasus filly name Cotton Candy. The mare smiled and kissed the filly’s cast. “see doesn’t hurt anymore.” the filly giggled as the loving mare tickled her belly before gently setting her into a wheel chair. The yellow mare bowed to the filly’s thankful parents as they collected their daughter and her wheel chair.
The shy pegasus was beaming she preferred this kind of work to triage, or giving ponies bad news of their loved ones. Unfortunately for Fluttershy it looked like she may have to do that again from the way Mazey Recovery was frantically waving her over. Mazey was a middle aged unicorn mare with a cream coat and a vanilla mane, she was the school nurse and the only pony in Bridle View with medical training. Her husband a doctor in the guard had his hooves full helping with his fellow soldiers at the remains of the keep that over looked this area.
A little green colt near by whined “mama is waiting for me!”
Mazey waved Fluttershy closer so she could whisper to her. “whats the problem?” the yellow pegasus ask in a worried whisper.
“Fluttershy I need you to stay with Soar Patch here.” Mazey whispered back “his mother was caught in their farm house when the monsters burnt it down.” the mare bit her lip.
“oh dear you were able to heal her right?”
Mazey shook her head “i can only do so much, and the infection spread too quickly. She passed this morning and I just haven’t had a chance to go get her sister, Lemon Zest, from their farm.” Mazey Whispered as Sour Patch asked to see his mother again. The mare was angry at herself.
“oh dear.” Fluttershy whispered back as tears form in her eyes. “okay I’ll watch him.” Mazey thanked her before hurrying out.
“miss can I see my mama now?” the colt asked as Fluttershy lead the colt to an empty room.
“um not yet, lets wait till your aunty gets here first” Fluttershy answered with a few tears rolling down her cheeks.
“but aunty Zest is busy and I want to see mama now.” Sour Patch whined tears in his eyes, he felt something was wrong.
“just wait please.” Fluttershy choked out, her heart was broken “your mommy is sleeping sweetie.” she didn’t think she would beadle to keep the truth from him much longer.
“then wake her up, I want my mama.”
Fluttershy sighed this was it, she pulled the colt close to her chest and said “she cant wake up little one, this sleep will be for forever. Shes in heaven with the all mother now.” her chest heaved as the colt started to weep with her.
“shes in heaven, is she with dad now?” the colt asked between sobs.
“yes and their happy there’s no pain no sadness there’s nothing bad there with the All Mother.” Fluttershy continued.
“can I go to heaven too?”
“not yet but if you live a good life you will” the mare smiled sadly. “and they will watch over you.”
A few minutes later Mazey returned with the colt's only living family, Lemon Zest. It was a tearful meeting and departure. Mazey and Fluttershy needed break after that and a bite of lunch which they were getting when Pinkie Pie burst in and yelled “FLUTTERSHY I NEED YOUR HELP!”
“oh dear it must be important.” Fluttershy said as she set down her daffodil sandwich. Mazey sipped her milk shake as she listened.
“i still don't know why my teeth are chattering.”
“oh.” Fluttershy said almost dismissively.
“if you have a cold I can help with that.” Mazey Recovery said looking to what supplies she had, she smiled as she picked up a cold remedy. One of the few medicines they weren’t low on for now.
“its not a cold its my Pinkie Sense.” the excited mare clarified.
“what?”
“random things that happen to my body to tell me something.” Pinkie explained quickly “and I’ve never had my teeth chatter before.” Mazey was confused and she didn’t like to be confused.
“last night she said that her teeth chattered when she looks at Samantha and Gilded.” Fluttershy added.
Mazey looked at them both “those two.” the mare was suspicious “i don’t know about any Pinkie sense but with-” she turned away a little embarrassed to reveal her age “over 20 years of teaching experience I know the difference between puppy love and when Cupid really hits his mark.” she smiled “Samantha’s one of my best friends, I've known her scents she was a chick and I’ve only known one male that makes that girl's knees weak.” she sat down again to sip her milk shake “and that is none other then the most nervous pony I've ever met.” she giggled thinking of Gilded. “those two have it bad for each other but don’t know it.”
“oh.” Pinkie Pie said nodding, “Fluttershy you want to help me hook those two up.”
“oh I’m sorry but no.” Fluttershy said “i think I’d be more of a help here.”
“as much as I love Samantha getting her a coltfriend is pretty low on my list of priority too.” Mazey added as she drank the last of her milk shake, much to her disappointment.
“well its high on mine.” Pinkie said with a smile before hoping out the door. Leaving the two medical mares to discuss the pink mare's antics as they got back to work.
Pinkie hopped down the street her new frond information on her mind. She noticed Rarity going door to door offering blankets. The white unicorn had spent the most of last night kiting warm blankets for those who had lost everything. It may have be summer now but fall and winter were just around the corner.
Rarity trotted on to the next house when Pinkie Pie stopped her saying “hey Rarity want to help me get Samantha and Gilded together?”
“what?” the white mare replied confused.
“my teeth chattered last night when I looked at those two together and it turns out that when my teeth chatter like that it means they need help hooking up.” Pinkie said with a smile.
Rarity looked down her nose at Pinkie “I’m oh so busy right now dear.” she checked that she had enough blankets. Satisfied with her current stock Rarity trotted away “I'll see you later darling. But good luck.”
“ahhh is nopony going to help me.” Pinkie Pie said to no one in particular, she sighed and continued on her way. “don’t they know that a little giggle can become a giant avalanche of joy.” she jumped up in the air and said “maybe I need to tell Twilight that. I’m sure she'll understand.

* * *

Twilight barely listened to Pinkie as she explained why she thought Gilded and Samantha should get together. The lavender mare growled “Damn it.” as she tossed her calculator aside.
“I’m sorry.” Pinkie Pie said lowering her head and ears. “i thought it was a good idea.”
“oh sorry Pinkie.” Twilight apologized realizing that she frightened her friend. she rubbed her eyes as she explained why she was frustrated “its just that the caravan scheduled to arrive today hasn’t shown up yet and with out it the town wont have enough supplies to make it through winter.”
“oh.”
“and I’m just frustrated with the situation. I thought I could make a ration plan but I don’t think so.” Twilight continued as she retrieved her calculator “i hate to say it Pinkie but I’m still too busy to help you with what ever it is your wanting to do.”
“but.” Pinkie begin to say but decided that her friend was right. “okay Twilight I'll find somepony else.”
Spike sat up from where he laid on the ground “I’ll help, Twilight didn’t want me to do anything anyway.” he crossed his arms, Twilight was still too engrossed in her numbers to hear them.
“Well hop on.” Pinkie said with a toss of her head. Spike obliged and grabbed a claw full of her mane to help him climb on her back. Pinkie Pie giggled and hoped along her way to find the two lost love birds, as she put it in the song she sang. The baby dragon joined her in both the good deeds she spread and to sing about how love can be like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, and he wasn’t the only one. About three dozen other ponies joined the pair to sing about the merits of love till finely Pinkie and Spike came across Gilded working on a house.
The teal stallions armored hooves were as good as any hammer, as he and four other workers rebuilt the damaged section of wall. Pinkie Pie giggled as she called “hey Gilded come on down today’s your lucky day.”
“what?” the Stallion said as he slide down the ladder and trotted over to the pink mare, he was just glade she had announced her approach in song rather then scarring him half to death in front of other ponies.
“we're here to help you get lucky.” Spike yelled unsure why the worker ponies were laughing at what he said.
“what?”
Pinkie grin grew as she said “that’s part of it but not right now.” the mare laughed as she grabbed Gilded before he could flee. Gilded blushed as she held him to her chest and continued to say “fear not. we're here to help give you the courage to tell your true feelings to very special somepony or griffin in this case.” the mare laughed even louder “and together your love will shine though out this town giving everypony hope and joy.” she gestured to town around them.
the nervous teal stallion attempted to wiggle his way out of Pinkie's iron grip. He nervously mumbled “Miss Pinkie, whatever do you mean?” he didn’t have a good feeling about this turn of events.
Pinkie released the stallion and stood on all fours again, Spike retook his place on her back as she explained “we're going to help you get tell Samantha how you feel.”
“WHAT!” the nervous stallion said trembling all over. “oh no I couldn’t.” various fears playing out in the stallion's mind.
“oh yes you can.” Pinkie Pie giggled as she trotted around the stallion. she pushed on his rump trying to get him to move, when he didn’t she pushed harder. It was like trying to push a wall, her hooves dug deep grooves into the dirt as Pinkie finally got him moving. “trust me it will be good for you.”
Gilded's hooves scraped across the ground as he looked back at the pink mare was pushing him along. eventually the teal earth pony started walking, he was stiff with fright as he spouted his worries. "B-But what if she refuses? What if it doesn't work? What will her family think of me? How will I be there for her when I travel so much? How can I ever put into words to describe how my feelings about her?"
“those are just details.” Pinkie said smiling at him “you just got to let the words flow.” the mare stepped around him to look him in the face “sometimes you just got to put your heart on the line and hope everything goes okay.”
“what if you get hurt.” Gilded asked in a hushed whisper as they continued to walk.
“that's the risk you have to take to find true happiness.” Pinkie replied with a smile.
Spike stared at the back of Pinkie's head confused he had never heard her talk like this before, but even with the pink mare sage like words the teal stallion wasn’t convinced so Spike decided to chime in with his own experience. “heart break sucks.” the little dragon said, both the ponies looked at him. Gilded was frightened while Pinkie was disappointed how was this going to help. Spike explained how his long time crush on Rarity came to a end. “but well, Rarity was right though, she's like 10 years older then me. at least” he smiled “now I found an other mare my age, just as pretty but twice as sweet.” he still hadn’t told anypony who he liked yet.
Gilded was still unsure he stumbled over many replies and excuses before he simple asked “what would I say.”
Pinkie giggled “what ever comes from your heart.” the mare gestured with her hoof to reveal they had walked all the way to the outskirts of town. Before them Samantha was talking to a couple of farmers about something they may have seen flying over the mountain. The teal earth pony stallion shyly looked away from the sleek black griffoness as she chatted with the local farmers, and he scraped a forehoof across the ground. He was still unable to find the courage to talk about the feelings he had about her.
Samantha thanked the Farmers for their help, before she turned around to find Gilded and Pinkie there waiting. A smile formed around the edges of her ebony beak. Seeing the pink mare with Gilded peeked her curiosity, she decided telling her father could wait a few minutes. She smiled and asked "Is there something you two needed?"
The teal earth pony rubbed one of his forelegs with the other, and looked up to meet her sapphire gaze with a weak smile. "Not quite..." He answered her evasively as his heart started to pound hard in his chest.
Samantha could tell that Gilded was hiding something. She rubbed her chine with her claw. "Oh, then what, pray tell, would have brought you all the way out here? Something interesting I hope"
Gilded Legacy this was it he couldn’t back out of it now. He gulped before he answered, he lightly tapped the tips of his forehooves together. "Well, you see, it is not something, but someone that I seek..." Not somepony, a detail that Samantha felt warm and bothered by in a pleasant way by.
The black avian hybrid stepped closer to ask "And what would you tell this someone?” with a teasing purr. She assumed Pinkie had some part in helping Gilded come out of his shell about the matter. at least she hoped it was what she thought it was, the butterflies that had somehow found themselves in her belly agreed.
Gilded blushed deep crimson, as he fiddled awkwardly with his forehooves and looked down at the ground till he finally built up the courage to answer her "That I love her, and would never stop loving her even if she rejected me...Tell her that she is brave and strong. Tell her that she means everything to me. Tell her that I would never quit being affectionate...And tell her that even when this life has long since come and gone, that I will always love her, and would never depart from her side."
Samantha's eyes started to fill with tears. She hugged the timid teal earth pony, and said "She is a very special someone then..." she smiled
“y-yes, y-you are.” Gilded shuddered, Several farmers that had been watching whistled and cheered for the pair. A mare on the porch on the near by farm house leaned over to her friend and said something about it being 'about time'
Gilded and Samantha looked into each others eyes, Pinkie giggled as she saw a star flash in the distant. “did you see it Spike a new star is born from their love.” she giggled.
“when did you get so poetic.” Spike asked looking at the pink mare.
“singing and poetry are about the same thing.”
Spike really didn’t know what to say about that, nor did he have time as an earth shaking thunder clap startled most everypony in the fields. A shadow fell over Gilded and Samantha, before they could figure out what it was they heard Pinkie shriek and bolted into town along with most of the other farmers.
hot air washed over Samantha and Gilded, they turn to see that it came large dragon. Each of his it's scales looked like the tip of a brown sword edged in gold. It was a terrifyingly magnificent sight. The Dragon's red eyes and evil smile showed what it wanted, blood. Like a striking snake the dragons head shot toward the pair. Gilded tackled Samantha out of the way just in time. The stallion landed on his belly while the griffiness rolled back onto her paws, her hook sword in her claw.
“Damned beast.” the ebony griffin growled as she struck the dragon in the side of the head. The razor sharp sword skipped off the dragon's steel hard scales with nothing more then a loud clang and made her claw go painfully numb. Samantha stepped back her face a mask of fear as her sword slipped from her grip. She held her claw as Gilded stood beside her.
The evil dragon's growl was like distance thunder, “you creatures are so pathetic, how can you call yourselves the masters of the land.” flames licked as his lips as he sucked in a big lung full of air.
“not just the land.” Rainbow Dash yelled as a rainbow streak bounced off the side of the dragons head. The beast growled and turned to snapped at the speeding pegasus only to feel a kick to the gut that would have killed a lesser bean.
The dragon sat up and looked under him as Applejack bucked him where no male wants to be hit. He roared fire leaping out of his mouth, the orange mare jumped out of the way of the small fireball. The dragons eyes locked on hers and the horn on his nose glowed along with the two large horns on the back of his head he was casting a spell over her. As strong and determined as Applejack was she was no match for the dragon's magic, her body was frozen with fear not her own.
Rainbow Dash yelled for Applejack to get out of there as the dragon took in a big breath so he could douse the earth pony with fire. Before the pegasus could do something a black shape dove out of the sun two hook swords in its claws. The griffon's blades known as Kopesh where deadly when used at high speed. The weapons hook shape made slashes and passes easy and deadly, but the weapon was meant for fighting opponents of similar size to its welder.
One of Q'uel blade caught hold the dragon's shoulder joint and was ripped painfully from the griffin’s claws. He slammed into the ground and scooped up Applejack. The hybrid flew so low his wings touched the ground with each flap. He could feel the flames licking at his tail as he flew towards town. The griffin was flying too low too fast to dodge around a lone fence post fate seem to have put there just for him.
Over a thousand pounds of griffin, pony and armor slammed into the deep rooted post. Q'uel felt his shoulder pop out of joint before he crashed into the hard dirt. Applejack slid away from the tumbling griffin somehow her hat still in place. She had no time to move before the fire struck.
Applejack's mane frayed from the heat, her skin blistered under her fur but she didn’t burn. The orange mare had to squint her eyes to look around but she was alive. She was saved by a translucent purple field. The earth pony stood as Twilight trotted down the street her horn glowing.
The dragon relented it's fire and looked at the unicorn as she proclaimed “I Am Twilight Sparkle. Personal Student of Princess Celestia and the Bearer of the Element of Magic, I Order you to Leave this town at once!”
the dragon stared at her its eyes full of malice “your titles are meaningless.” the dragon's fire had no chance of penetrating the magical dome Twilight conjured, but the heat was a different story.
Sweat dripped form the mare's face as her protection became an oven. Drawing more magic from her deep well of power was easy, as was pushing back the torrent of flames. However there was something wrong, her mind hurt. It was already too late, Twilight couldn't put up a mental shield to protect herself from the dragon's mental talons as they dug into her brain. You cant defend ageist an attack that had already connected.
Just in time Rainbow Dash stopped the dragons attacks by slamming into the dragons snout, the beast mouth snapped shut forcing fire through his nose. The blue pegasus jumped off of the dragon's snout. The giant lizard was too slow to catch the winged pony, all his massive jaws caught was the multicolored contrail. His tail was a little quicker, it clipped the tip of Rainbow Dash's wing just enough to send her out of control. The stunt flier was skilled but still needed time to pull out of a spiral, time she didn’t have. She regained enough control to not die when she slammed into the ground. Everything hurt but she could feel it all, that was a good thing.
The dragon knew that the grounded pegasus was not as much of a threat as the recovering unicorn, he knew he had only done superficial damage to Twilight's mind scape. The worst she would have is minor memory loss. A burst of fire breath would be enough, her shield was down. The dragon was so focused on the unicorn mare he never noticed the flash of white to his left. The sound of galloping armored hooves was the only hint to what was to come.
The dragon never saw Winchester as he struck true, Featherweight slipped between the plates of the dragon's neck. The beast roared and jump back as the knight passed by. A thick amber liquid mixed with blood oozed from the wound, flames danced over the gel when it contacted the air. Winchester slid to a stop and spun around. Burning red eyes of hate met brown eyes full of contempt, claws met holy steel. Immeasurable strength was matched with a decade of skill.
Winchester stepped inside of the dragon's wide swipe, Featherweight slipped in between the dragon's scales and bone cutting the great lizard's hand off at the wrist. The beast roar of pain was cut off by a blast of purple energy with enough force to slam the dragon on its back. Pink smoke wafted away from where its head should have been. The knight growled at the corpse and walked away.
Twilight panted sweat dripping off her face as Applejack trotted up to her and asked "you okay?"
"yeah." the lavender mare replied after a deep breath. “how about you?”
“little over cooked but I’m fine.”
Rainbow Dash landed next to her friends and said “that dragon didn’t stand a chance.” the wing the dragon had hit twitched painfully. Her friends ignored it to persevere their friends ego.
Winchester stomped by and Twilight said "Thank you." she knew without the knight the dragon would have burnt her to a crisp before she would have been able to recover from it's mental attack.
"there is no need to thank me." the Stallion said his voice dripping with anger, Twilight stepped back unsure why the stallion was so upset. "i take no pride in this battle."
"what got up your butt?" Applejack asked, normally the knight liked to kill monsters.
"he's just pissed cause Twilight blew the dragon's head off.” Rainbow Dash taunted, they won and nopony was hurt why should the knight be upset.
“i would take no trophies from this beast.” the stallion turned and stared at the dead dragon as Spike scurried up to see if every pony was okay. “i cant stand their stench alive or dead.” the knight spun around startling the already confused group and stared down at Spike cutting off what ever he was about to say “i would not speck if I were you Dragon!” he spoke as if what Spike was, was an insult.
Twilight stood over Spike like a defensive mother saying “whats your problem, Spike hasn't done anything.” while Rainbow Dash and Applejack pushed the knight back, they had seen him like this before.
“why do you come to his defense.” Winchester growled “you've seen the monster that he will become.”
“no he wont.” Twilight shot back her horn ignited on instinct.
Winchester growled till he thought about who he was threatening. He saw Spike trembling behind Twilight's leg the knight remembered why he fought, to keep young ones from feeling that same fear he was causing the young dragon right now. Winchester felt sick, not an illness sick but so angry that it made his stomach churn because of his own actions. The knight stepped back and bowed “I’m sorry.” he apologize “I let my emotions and my hate control me.” he sighed and glanced up at the mares to see how they were reacting. They waited to hear him out. “its become too easy for me to paint a species with a broad brush.”
“what happened?” Twilight asked what could cause somepony like him this much trauma. Rainbow Dash and Applejack were a little less forgiving, Spike was still triffid.
“i found the lair of the diamond dogs with ease.” Winchester began “those mongrels that didn’t fall to my blade I scattered to the wind. I found lots of Equestrian coins and supplies, so I thought nothing of the cart train just like the one we came to town with. The pony sized cages gave me pause, but I didn’t know what they were for till I found the Mountain King's chamber.” the knight shivered at the thought “ and the bones that littered the ground, still fresh still wet still young.” the knight stared at the mares with a dark expression.
“what do you mean?” Rainbow Dash asked hoping he didn’t say what she thought he would.
“the diamond dog's slated their masters hunger for flesh with our kind.” Winchester answered drawing a gasp from the mares.
“dragons don’t eat ponies.” Spike said panicked. Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked at the little dragon and stepped back terror on their faces.
“there are reports of the Dragons eating sheep and cows.” Twilight said looking at Spike as she stepped beside him, the look in her eyes made Spike feel truly alone. For a brief moment the lavender mare was frightened of the dragon she had raised from an egg. Till her maternal instinct kicked in and she pulled the dragon into a deep hug saying “Spikes not like that, Spikes better then that.” like any good mother she would be by his side till the end of her days.
Many replies ran through Winchester's head but in the end none of them were fitting, so the knight simple took his leave as Twilight stood. He was thankful for the lack of tears. About half an hour later Winchester sat at the only bar in town with his head on the counter staring at an empty cup. The bartender walked by his only patron, most ponies prefer to drown their sorrows with friends rather then alcohol. The bartender knew this stallion was different and refilled his glass. “on the house.”
“that’s the fourth one the house has bought me,” Winchester said surprisingly without slurring. “why it so generous today.”
“there are many heroes of Bridle View but there is only one so troubled.” the bar keep replied.
“i thought I had dealt with these troubles.” Winchester replied as he sipped his sugar based spirit.
“sometimes things we have dealt with come back to remind us that we are flawed creatures.” the bar keep said as he walked away.
The door to the bar opened with a chime, and somepony trotted over to Winchester. The knight looked over to see Twilight lean ageist the bar and stare at him. “is he alright?” Winchester asked.
Twilight was surprised she knew the knight didn’t really care for Spike, but at least he was trying “hes alright, he's helping finish up some work around town.”
“good.” Winchester said with a sigh “i really must apologize.”
“yes, you should, and you did.”
Winchester looked over at Twilight as she smiled a little and chuckled “you know that’s something I respect most about you.” the mare raised an eye brow “you can forgive so easily.”
“wouldn’t some of your friends say that’s a bad thing.”
“maybe, but I have yet to see you forgive without reason.” he said with a smile. “i find it hard to forgive myself sometimes. I hate seeing anything young hurt or frighten, I went out of my way to make sure the diamond dog pups never saw me and that the den mothers would be their for them. Then I come back and scare your baby dragon half to death.”
Twilight pat the stallion on the head “your a good stallion, Winchester. Like you said you let your emotions get away from you.” the door opened again Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Pinkie Pie trotted inside. They happily joined their friend at the bar, Winchester and Twilight's conversation ended as the mares began talking about their days. Rarity, Spike and Fluttershy joined them soon after. Winchester retired to the corner of the bar to drink. He smiled as he watched mares. He was an outsider, and always would be. Just like any others that joined them as friends or lovers. He was jealous, even he and his lost companions weren’t as close.