• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 988 Views, 12 Comments

The Lay of Floreat & Cenwulf - Rustic_King



A spin off of "A Gentleman's journal" about the family of a Unicorn called Floreat, and her human husband Cenwulf.

  • ...
17
 12
 988

Prologue

Cenwulf shifted in his saddle, trying to ease the dull ache in his backside. It had been a long ride from the hill country that formed much of the border between the Dog territories and Equestria. As he threaded his way through the streets of Canterlot, he was aware of the stares of several ponies. He couldn't blame them - here he was riding a creature that looked so like them, yet lacked their intellect. Moreover, he was wearing armour and carried weapons from almost one thousand years ago, Earth time. One of them was a florist who he noticed was looking him over head to foot. Had she been human, Cenwulf might have stopped to chat, or at least flash her a smile - but she was a pony so he carried on to the castle to give his report to the captain.


Just a year ago he had been in a military hospital with his lower right leg amputated to just below the knee, and his left arm virtually useless after getting caught by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. When he heard that Princess Celestia had decided to come and visit the hospital, he had made the effort to make himself presentable.

As he heard Celestia walk down the corridor he had reached for his crutches and when she had reached his room, he had forced himself to stand and salute.

'What is your name?' Celestia asked him, marvelling at his dedication

'Lieutenant Cenwulf Fisher, Your highness.' he had replied

'Do you mind my asking how you got your injuries?'

'IED, Ma'm, had to lose my leg and my arm has nerve damage, so I can't do much with any more. So, once I'm healed up I'll be out of the army and on veterans benefits mostly.'

'I'm sorry to hear that, I can tell that you are a dedicated soldier.'

'That I am your highness, why I'd give anything to be able to serve again!'

'Perhaps I can help, how would you like the opportunity to see places that no one else from your world has seen?'

'I'd love it!' he replied, hope welling up inside him

'Well then, I can heal you if you agree to join my royal guards.' she replied

Cenwulf was suspicious, why make it conditional?

'Why must I agree to go to Equestria and serve you before you'll heal me?'

'Because if I heal you, and you don't go to Equestria, the spell will wear off without the magic of Equestria to sustain it. The process would be extremely painful.' she had explained

He had weighed up his options, and the choice was easy - he would take the offer.

'All right, I'll do it!' he had said, smiling for the first time in weeks

With a golden glow Celestia cast a spell and Cenwulf felt a warmth spreading down his weakened left arm and in his stump.To his amazement his left arm felt just as strong as before, maybe even more thatn before! Even better, attached to his stump was a shinning gold leg which was solid and felt exactly the same as his natural leg. Oddly, his arm seemed to emit a dim gold light, but Cenwulf didn't care, he was whole again and ready to take on any adventure that Equestria had to offer.

The bells of Canterlot castle rang out the hour of nine as Floreat Blossomheart opened her store and rolled out her shop front displays. She was glad to be back home after all the hectic years in Manehatten Humming contentedly to herself as she levitated a watering can over the petunias', she heard a sound that was at once familiar and strange. It was the unmistakable sound of hooves on cobblestones, but the gait, and the loudness suggested something much bigger than a pony.

'What in Equestria could that be?' she thought aloud

She did not have to wait long to find out as a decidedly bizarre sight came into view. Floreat felt compelled to take in as much detail as she could.

It was human and he was riding a four legged creature that unnerved her to see. It was a horse, she knew that much, but seeing one in the flesh was very different to reading about it. The man shone with bright armour, which jangled with the motion of his mount. The helmet had gilt eyebrows, further augmented with red gems, and the nose guard was in the shape of a horses head. Long blond hair that matched his beard wafted in the breeze. He was clad in a hauberk of maille and under that he wore a forest-green tunic. It was clear he had been in the wilderness for some time, as his feet, clad in leather shoes and with his lower legs wrapped in cloths were mud splattered and worn. Half hidden by his grey cloak was the pommel of a sword, and he held the reins with just one hand, the other held a spear that had to have been at least 8 feet long! The most incredible thing was that the hand that clasped the spear shone with a golden glow. As he passed, he did not look to either side nor did he smile - but gazed fixedly towards his destination.

Floreat stared, lost in thought as the strange man rode onwards, and Floreat noticed a large, round wooden shield was slung over his back. What kind of person was this? He seemed so cold and distant, clearly a man who loved violence.

'Good morning, Floreat!'

'Huh?' she was still distracted be the appearance of such a strange sight.

'I said good morning.'

'Oh, sorry Brandy Snaps.' she replied, turning to face her neighbour

'I see something caught your eye.' her friend said teasingly

'It's not like that, Snaps. It's just...who is he?'

'Well, I don't rightly know his name, but I hear that he's the first human to serve in the royal guards.'

'They really let a human serve?' Floreat asked

'That's right, I hear Celestia herself chose him, and that he spends most of his time patrolling the border.'

'Well I don't think I like him, he seemed - I don't know...'

'Just what about him don't you like?'

'There's something different about him, it makes me feel weird.' she replied, and hoped never to see the man ever again.