• Published 11th Jul 2013
  • 1,028 Views, 10 Comments

Super Sonic Romance - MegaTJ



When Rainbow Dash bumps into a fellow flyer, will she fall head over hooves for him, or will he just be another challenge to beat?

  • ...
16
 10
 1,028

The Star Cloud Festival

The Cloud Star Festival

The music of the festival boomed around the Pegasi as they looked for Cloud. Rainbow Dash felt the sound waves ripple through her, nearly making her sick to her stomach. She was lucky she was used to intense vibrations; flying at near supersonic speeds all the time gave her immunity to motion sickness.

"How strange…" Fracture pondered.

"What?" Rainbow Dash followed him as they looked for Cloud. They had arrived twenty minutes ago and there was still no sign of the stallion. A small twinge of worry pulled at her stomach. She really hoped they would find him soon. She really didn't like the idea of not being to keep an eye on him with Sugar Pie was running around.

"This is usually the place where Cloud can be found during the festival…"

Taking a look around, Rainbow saw that they were in the middle of many different booths. With a closer look, she noticed they were all giving out sweets, cakes, and candies. "Why's he usually around here?"

"Cloud has an appetite for all things sugary", Fracture explained, "He can even eat himself sick on his favorite snack of brownies."

Rainbow Dash didn't know why, but that was really good news. Before she could stop herself, she quickly swiped something from a nearby stand and tucked it under her wing. It hampered her flying, but she couldn't wait to see the look on Cloud's face when she gave it to him. She did it so absentmindedly that she didn't even question why she wanted to give it to him in the first place.

Fracture continued to observe the crowds, nearly forgetting about the cyan mare altogether. Rainbow Dash thought about screaming Cloud's name and expect him to come running, but doubted he would be able to hear her. Then she remembered something. Earlier at the ice cream shop, Cloud whistled to call Sugar Pie outside. She wondered if it worked for all three of the friends. Recreating the whistle inside her head, Rainbow put her hooves to her lips and blew as hard as she could. The whistle was so loud that all ponies around her and Mind Fracture stopped to stare. She didn't care, and continued to whistle until her lungs had nearly deflated.

Before she could take a breath, Cloud appeared next to her. "You called?"

Jumping, she shouted, "Where did you come from?!"

He smiled teasingly. "I was following you two the whole time."

"No way!" she shouted, "How, we were BOTH looking for you!"

"Kinda hard to see a pony in a crowd", he replied slyly. Then he chortled, "Nah! I just heard you whistle and came running."

"Have you found Cirrus yet, Cloud?" Mind Fracture inquired off subject.

"No not yet, I don't think she's here right now."

Rainbow Dash frowned. Another "she"… "Who's Cirrus?"

"That's my mom's name!" Cloud declared happily.

A rush of relief washed her frown away. "Really? I thought you said she's usually away on business."

"She never misses a Star Cloud Festival", Fracture explained.

"You HAVE to meet her!"

"She's quite your type of pony, Rainbow Dash", inputted Fracture.

"She'll like ya, Dash."

Another bragging opportunity jumped into the air. Rainbow Dash seized it with, "I bet she will. Almost no pony doesn't like me!"

Suddenly, the sky flashed and lit up with fireworks. Brilliant blue, yellow, and green explosions rained down to the festival. At first, everypony cringed at the sudden, unannounced booms, but quickly recovered and cheered at the artificial bursts of color. Each blast was about four or five seconds apart and consisted of very many different shapes. There was something odd about the way they were detonating. Everypony noticed that they weren't being set off from the ground. They were just appearing in the sky.

"Where are they coming from", a random pony in the crowd asked through the silence.

Slight murmuring followed on the origins of the beautiful lights. Everypony started to strain their eyes to see where they could be coming from. It wasn't long before they picked up and began growing in size.

"Ooh!"

"Aah!"

They kept getting more frequent and bigger until the sky was ablaze with the multicolored lights. Then suddenly they stopped, leaving the on lookers displeased with the abrupt cease of explosions. It was only when the ponies started to look away when the biggest explosions turned the darkening evening into a very bright day. The explosions were letters and read: G&G.

Two figures popped out from behind the letters. They fluttered in place, relishing in the giant applause all of Canyon Run burst into. Gale crossed his hooves boastingly, and Gust gave bow after bow.

"That must be the 'big project' those two have been talking about", Mind Fracture stated.

"Show offs!" Cloud shouted instinctively. No pony heard him through the shouting except Rainbow Dash.

"You wish you could fly like them", she teased.

"Just for that", Cloud retorted, "I'm going to show no mercy tomorrow!"

It seemed Rainbow Dash had touched a nerve. She wanted to tease him some more and hopefully make his face get even redder. She liked the way his cheeks and ears turned crimson. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she didn't get to stop herself from letting the absolute, most embarrassing thing cross her mind. He looks really cute...

Rainbow's heart nearly stopped with horror. I did NOT just think that, she told herself in her head. What's going on? C'mon brain, stop being so stupid!

At this point, Cloud had all of the ammo he needed to get back at her. "Finally realize your love for me, Pink Cheeks?"

Anypony who didn't know Rainbow Dash would have never known her face wasn't supposed to be as red as an overripe tomato. Cloud saw her overlooking the bottomless pit of embarrassment and pushed her in without a second thought.

"Uh, uh…" Rainbow couldn't get her mouth to move. She was backed into a corner looking into the eyes of her emotional tyrant. Just as Cloud was about to declare victory, backup came to Rainbow's rescue.

"Now, Cloud. What have I told you about flirting with mares?" A voice came from behind him.

It was now his turn to seize up. He knew that voice. And he knew that the war had just flipped upside down and was about to fall on him. How long has she been here?

"Good evening, Cirrus", Mind Fracture greeted.

All heads turned to the blue and grey mare standing behind Cloud. Rainbow immediately saw that anypony could relate the two. Cirrus' color pattern was the exact same as her son's. Except that everywhere Cloud was black, Cirrus was a brilliant tone of sky blue, and everywhere he was grey, she was very light gray. Her mane was very sleek and was colored blue that faded into white, with her tail matching.

"Hey, Mind Fracture!" she replied. "I see you still have your sword."

"Never go anywhere without it", he said with a smile.

"So." Cirrus turned her attention to Cloud, "How's my son been all this time?"

"Fine mom", he murmured in an attempt to get the attention off him.

"Just fine?"

He nodded.

Rainbow watched in amusement at how embarrassed Cloud was getting. That'll teach ya to mess with me! Even though she was focused on vengeance, her heart was still fluttery from what happened earlier.

"Well, I had a nice little chat with Sprinkle and the twins", she started, ignoring Cloud's groan. "And they say that you've been harassing the mares again."

The moment was so juicy that Rainbow Dash just had to take a bite. "He's asked me out at least ten times just today!"

"Have not!" Cloud screamed.

Fracture took that as his cue to go find Sugar Pie. She was no doubt being overwhelmed at her ice cream stand and if he didn't go help, he would definitely hear it in the morning. Slipping away, the last thing he heard was Cirrus and Rainbow Dash teaming up on Cloud.

"He hasn't tried sneaking a kiss from you has he", Cirrus asked Rainbow Dash incredulously.

"Now that you mention it…" Rainbow Dash was completely enjoying herself. She had the upper hoof and was managing to keep it. It started to make her wonder just why Cloud could always take the advantage back in Ponyville.

Cloud was no longer even attempting to fight back. Between Rainbow and his mother, he had no chance of turning the tide of this battle. He finally admitted defeat by sighing and hanging his head. His face had long since lost its original color to the fiery red blush that was assaulting his ears and cheeks. He wished he could go somewhere or disappear, or at the least get them to stop. Fortunately, somepony answered his wish.

Out of nowhere, Gale and Gust flew in and tackled Cirrus. "MOM!" they cheered together.

"Boys!" She wrestled with them for a few seconds until she proved better and soon had them both up struggling to get out from under her.

Cloud used the distraction to sneak away. His blush was still burning his face. He couldn't believe that happened. Now he was sure he was just a big joke to everypony. And now he had just run away. Good going, Cloud…

He walked through the crowds, unable to enjoy the festival. He kept walking until he passed by one of his favorite places in town. "Hey, Cloud!"

He looked up to see a spring green mare holding a white ball out to him. "You know you want to", she persuaded.

He shook his head sarcastically and walked up to the booth. He had walked farther than he thought seeing that he was now at the eastern end of the Canyon Run Plateau. "How'd you know Swift?"

She shrugged, "I don't know. I think it's your favorite sport or something." She stepped aside as he walked into the small booth. Other than him and Swift were four other Pegasi strapping pads to their joints. They all rejoiced to see their team captain walk in just before show time.

"You couldn't have gotten here at a better time", said a white Pegasus wearing a jersey that bore the name "Indigo Clover".

"Tell me about", said another with the name "Wonder Spin".

Cloud opened his locker and started to suit up too. He strapped on his red pads and put on his jersey with the number "16" printed to the back. This oughta get me back on par with Dash he thought with a smirk.

S

Meanwhile Rainbow Dash was having a panic attack. Once again she had lost Cloud. She was frantic to the point of forgetting to try another whistle. She was spinning around, this way and that to get a better grasp on where he might have gone. Cirrus saw how worried she was becoming and quickly stepped in.

"Hey, calm down, Rainbow!" she shouted over the noise. "I know exactly where he went."

"Where!?"

As if on cue, the sounds of trumpets and bugles rang out over the town. Almost on instinct, many ponies started in the direction of the opening ceremony for the biggest event of the Cloud Star Festival. Others took the opportunity to visit many of the booths while the crowd was leaving.

"AAAAAWWWWWW YEAH!" Gale screamed. "C'mon, Bro, let's go get the best seats!"

Gust rolled his eyes as his brother grabbed him and drug him into the sky. "Why must I be subjected to this?"

Rainbow and Cirrus didn't hear the reply. They were already too far away. Instead, Cirrus held up a hoof in the direction they flew. "Wanna go?"

That was a rhetorical question. If that's where Cloud was, then that's where she wanted to be. Cirrus opened her wings to take off. Rainbow Dash almost followed, but remembered that she still couldn't fly just yet. She had to strain the words, but she said the most un-Rainbow Dash thing ever. "I wanna just walk, if that's okay."

Cirrus shrugged, "Okay, then."

"Sorry, I hurt my left wing earlier, and it's still a little sore", Rainbow lied for the sake of her pride.

"No shame in an injury", Cirrus replied.

The walk seemed to take forever. Rainbow was sure that whatever was going on would be over and done with by the time they make it to wherever it was they were going.

"Cloud sick", Cirrus asked cheekily.

Rainbow's cheeks turned pink. "W-what?"

"Gotcha!" Cirrus laughed.

It was evident that Cirrus didn't stay on one team for long, so Rainbow knew she would have to be on guard around her. The wispy blue mare already proved to be a better teaser than her son. She followed the mare around one more turn and gasped when she cleared the building's wall. A giant stadium was lit up over the canyon's bottom. It consisted of two nets and two chain link fences. It was suspended by heavy duty cables on the far canyon wall and by giant poles sunk into the ground near the edge of where the plateau ended. Four stadium lights light up the entire side of the plateau.

Rainbow gaped in awe at how massive the playing field was. She wasn't sure exactly how big it was, but she knew that it was way bigger than any track the Wonderbolt's had ever used for a race. Cirrus led her to the top of the closest overhanging cliff there was. They took their seats next to the twins, who had saved them spots when they first arrived. Everypony remained silent as they waited for something to happen.

"What's going on? Where's Cloud?" Rainbow whispered to Cirrus.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot!" Cirrus laughed, "I meant to tell you on the way, my bad. Okay, every year at the Cloud Star Festival, the dashball team has a scrimmage to officially start off the festival."

"Wait, you mean it has even started yet?" Rainbow asked incredulously.

"Not really", Cirrus chuckled, "It doesn't until the winning goal of the dashball game."

Rainbow Dash turned her gaze back to the netted airfield. She noticed that at both ends were two more nets with a square hole in them. It took common sense to figure out those were the goals. Already she knew it must've been a lot like soccer. She couldn't wait to see Cloud out there. He was no doubt the best player. The intrusive thought floated around her head unnoticed.

From a quad speaker near the big building connected to the field, a trumpet blasted the opening anthem. Many of the ponies stood out of respect for the game and for a better look. Rainbow Dash remained still. She was on the highest point nearest the stadium so she automatically had the best seat in town. She did sort of envy the Pegasi who were hovering even closer. There weren't many of them, so they didn't block her view.

"Mares and gentlecolts", the speakers boomed. The crowd quieted immediately. "Welcome to the tenth annual Cloud Star Festival!" There was a pause to let the town cheer and whoop. "I would like to take this time to announce the flyers in this year's Festival Dashball game. More cheering. "Coming out onto the field now, number 42, Whirlwind!" Rainbow Dash watched as a pink pony blasted out into the field, circled twice, and relished in her fans' cheering at the far end of the field. "And behind her, number 71, Lavender!"

Rainbow Dash watched as one by one, the whole team flew out and took their respective places at their end of the field. None of them were Cloud, making her fear that she and Cirrus had drove him to the point of completely disappearing from the festival altogether. She was nearly biting her hooves with nervousness until the announcer's voice boomed once more.

"And now put your hooves together for the Contrails' captain, number 16, Rain Cloud!" From the building, a gray blur exploded from the small hanger. Cloud flew around the stadium five times before rising up to the center. The crowd reached its maximum volume when Cloud flew out.

"Wooooo Cloud!"

"Go Cloud!"

Rainbow Dash stood up on her hind legs and screamed, "Go get'em, Cloud!"

S

Cloud waved to his fans. He scanned the ridges of the plateau, hoping to see Rainbow Dash and his mom cheering him on, but couldn't before he had to go take his place at the far end of the field. He stretched his hooves while he waited for the refs to come out onto the field. A blue, magical bridge formed from the team's hanger. Walking along the bridge was a referee-uniformed mare. Her long mane was held in a ponytail and she was levitating the game's dashball in front of her. Behind her fluttered Twist, who was busy waving to many of the stallions in the crowd. The unicorn stopped centerfield. "Alright!" she called to both sides. "I want a good, fair game tonight! Let's do this quickly; I want to get back to the festival. Understood?"

"Yes ma'am!" the team shouted.

The referee used an anti-gravity spell on the ball. She hoofed it to her co-ref. "Swift, if you'll do the honors."

Swift snatched the ball from her and flew up as the bridge turned into a small, circular disc of magic energy. She flew upwards until she was level with both teams. "Okay, both sides in formation!"

The Pegasi moved around so that they were facing the others. Cloud and a pony from the other side moved forward on both sides of Swift. Swift dropped just below them. "Ready?" Whether either of them were, she kicked the ball straight up.

Chaos unleashed as Cloud and his rival shot forward. In an instant he had the ball in his grip and barrel rolled to the side. While he had a chance, Cloud turned and back flip-kicked the ball to the opponents' goal. Indigo flew down and looped up to grab the ball. The rest of his team dashed further down the field for a pass.

Indigo rose up, only to be tackled by three Pegasi. The ball slipped from his grasp, and drifted slightly upwards as the three fell downwards to the safety net. Whirlwind saw the ball and dashed after it. An opposing player named Blue Star swiped the ball first and flew back down to the other side of the field. The teams immediately changed tactics. Now Cloud's team was on the defensive. He rocketed to the other side with enough speed to leave the others to fight his tailwind. He closed in on the ball-carrying Pegasus and stealthily snatched the ball away with a swift ascending maneuver.

S

Rainbow Dash was shaking with nervous excitement. She barely noticed the other screaming ponies as she watched Cloud dominate the field. He was all over it, making sure that the ball never got too close to his team's goal. When he kicked it back across the field for the fourth time, she noticed that he was passing up a hundred chances to make a goal. She turned to Cirrus, "Why isn't he shooting?"

"He's staying on defense and waiting for his team to get set up", she explained, "Cloud never goes straight for the win. He always plays tactically. Just watch and wait."

The game was getting more heated now. The opposing team was flying in small squads of three in attempts to get the ball past Cloud. Their next tactic was to fly at different speeds and pass the ball at close intervals. It was working. Cloud couldn't get a clear shot at a steal. They all flew down the field toward the goal. The lead pony who had the ball twirled and chucked the ball as hard as she could. Cloud stopped and circled back. He wouldn't have been able to reach it, anyway. Rainbow saw him fly back to the other side.

Luckily, the goalie managed to catch the ball. Rainbow sighed in relief. The goalie, named Star Fire, drop kicked the ball as hard as he could. The ball sailed toward Cloud, who flipped over and kicked it even harder. The ball whizzed in between players, who were all frantic to get it back the other way. Cloud's team pinballed the ball back and forth until Lavender had a clear shot. The ball came her way and she drove her hoof into it as far as she could. The ball shot through the hooves of the opposing goalie and into the gap in the net.

"ALRIGHT!" Rainbow screamed.

The crowds cheering got louder as the game progressed. Both teams were scoring points almost left and right. Cloud was playing his hardest, but not stealing the show. Rainbow saw that he was a team player and not a ball hog. He and his team were well coordinated. They all seemed to know what each other were thinking. Goal after goal was scored, bringing a question to Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, Cirrus", Rainbow called over the cheering, "When's the game end?" She was so eager to get back to Cloud it wasn't even funny.

"At goal twenty!"

Rainbow's pulse soared. The game was almost over! She turned back to the game to see that Cloud's team was having trouble with moving the ball toward their final goal. The other half of the team was super concentrated on preventing that from happening. They managed to once again get the ball away from Whirlwind. Cloud saw it coming and stole it right back. He didn't have a chance to think over any tactics. He knew that the other Pegasi were immediately on him. Fatigue slowed him down so that now he was on par with everypony else. He was relying purely on his agility now. He circled around the field and took a chance. When he was faced with three ponies ready to tackle him, he folded his wings in and dropped. "Come on, guys, please get this one", he said under his breath. He opened his wings, braked, and drop kicked the ball as hard as he could. The ball hit the left-side net and traveled along until it bounced off to Wonder Spin.

The Pegasus turned and roundhouse kicked the ball home. The crowd went completely nuts and a horn blasted from the quad speakers, signaling the end of the game and the sure start of the festival.

Cloud was crusty with dry sweat when he finally caught up with Rainbow Dash. He found the filly waiting for him just outside the dashball center building. He cracked a grin. "Expecting me, much?"

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "What do you wanna do now you big showoff?"

"Ha! You saw right through me!" he laughed. He yawned, "I'm pretty worn out from the game. I really don't know how much longer until I'm out."

For some reason, Rainbow Dash decided to skip over her opportunity to brag. She did however, want to spend a little more time with him. "You can't stay up just little longer?"

He shook his head with another yawn. "I've got like an hour before I'm out, if that. Sorry, Dash."

His tired eyes gave her an idea. "Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired too", she lied, "I don't even know if I can fly home." Her plan worked; he said exactly what she wanted him too.

"If you want you can hang out at my place tonight. We can put ya in the house somewhere."

She silently cheered. "Really, that's awesome!"

Cloud was too tired to agree, so he nodded back to his house, which, from where they were standing, looked like a giant looming tower in the moonlight. "C'mon, I got the perfect place for you to sleep."

He jumped into the air and groggily flew to his home. Since he took the lead, Rainbow removed the wrapped item from under her wing. She inspected it, and found that she didn't crush it even a little. She stretched her wings for the first time in two hours. Boy that felt nice. She flew after him, making sure that if he turned, she wouldn't be able to see what was in her hooves. The flight was short, which was good since Cloud nearly collapsed on the doorstep. He turned to the cyan Pegasus behind him. Since landing, Rainbow Dash had already hidden his surprise away again. "Hey, you remember that place at the top of my room?"

She nodded. "Yeah, why?"

"Meet me there in about twenty minutes."

He flew into the house, which was even cooler than the breezy night. The inside was dimly lit by lamps in the corners of the room. Rainbow Dash felt immediate peace when she entered. Everything was peaceful despite the booming music echoing from the festival. None of Cloud's family had made it back yet, so it was just the two of them. Cloud left Rainbow for a room upstairs. She decided to give the living room a walkthrough. She was particularly interested in the pictures that were standing on top of the mantle of the fireplace.

They were mostly of the four children playing and flying throughout their lives, but some featured Cirrus and a stallion she didn't recognize. It wasn't until she saw the Pegasus carrying Cloud around on his shoulders did she realize that the white pony must have been Cloud's dad. She looked for more pictures of him, and saw that the ones of him were taken back in Cloud's early foalhood. They had a very close father/son bond. Every picture of the two showed them both either laughing or having some sort of race. She started to wonder exactly what had happened, but quickly stopped when she remembered how upset Cloud became when his father was mentioned, as if even thinking of it would put the colt into another depression.

She took a seat on the nearest chair and sighed. Thanks to her now growing fatigue, she could no longer decipher the hundreds of thoughts dashing through her head. Instead, she stretched and stood back up. She wanted to take a look around the house, but decided she wasted enough time and flew up to Cloud's room. It was seriously dark in there with the lack of windows, but thankfully Cloud left the door in the ceiling open. She could see stars and moonlight filter in through it. On the windy top, she found Cloud spreading a few blankets out on the ground.

"Best sleep you'll ever get", he called.

"A couple of blankets can't beat a cloud", she replied smugly.

Ignoring her, he unfolded the last one and laid it down on top of the others. Almost immediately he fell over on top of them, glad to be off his hooves. Rainbow Dash took a spot three or four feet away from him. She gazed up at Luna's moon, which was at its lowest point in sky and was bathing the night in a beautiful white glow.

He put his hooves behind his head. "The stars are awesome out tonight", he yawned in an attempt for last minute conversation.

Rainbow only nodded in agreement. She unfolded her wings and brought out his surprise. For the first time since she grabbed it, she wondered if it was even a good idea. What if he thinks I'm weird?

"Hey is that a brownie!?" he shouted in excitement. He sat up and hurriedly stood over her. "You gonna eat that?"

Rainbow Dash's face blushed the fiercest red it had ever gone. "Uh…I got it for you…"

Cloud's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. "Really!?" The brownie disappeared from Rainbow's hooves so fast that she had to make sure she still had them. "Thanks, Rainbow Dash!"

"…No problem", she mumbled embarrassingly. Her heart was beginning to feel very light in her chest.

Cloud scarfed down the brownie. "Caramel center! My favorite how'd you know?!"

By now Rainbow Dash was refusing to answer. The embarrassment was actually starting to sting her face. It felt kinda nice to see how much he liked it, but at the same time she felt she was practically going insane. This is SO not the Rainbow Dash everypony knows. If anypony finds out about this I'm done for. I'll be the laughing stock of Cloudsdale!

Cloud failed to see her internal struggle. He lay back down and sighed. Much to her horror he was almost right next to her. "Hey, you gotta favorite flower, Dash?" he asked unexpectedly.

"No", she replied, glad she could give negative output to such a girly question.

"Good." Cloud left the spot next to her and took off somewhere near the far edge of the wall of the canyon.

She watched him look around the ground for something. She was about to ask just what in the hay he was doing when he zipped back with something behind his back. He was grinning from ear to ear.

"What did you find a new pet rock or something", she teased.

"Close your eyes", he asked energetically.

"Yeah, I'm going to go with no on that one."

He rolled his eyes. "C'mon Rainbow, just do it!"

"Okay, but I swear if you try to kiss me…"

She didn't know what he was about to do, but for some crazy reason, that last thought wasn't a bad idea. She nearly threw up. Did she, Rainbow Aura Dash, just think that a kiss wasn't a bad idea? What's happening to me!?

She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't hear Cloud call until he poked her forehead. "Hey, you awake in there!"

"Yeah, Cloud", she sarcastically groaned. She opened her eyes to see him grinning with a slight blush. "What?"

"Nothing. It's just you look really pretty." She knew he wasn't joking. His blush deepened.

And so did hers. "W-What?"

He held up a flower. It was a pink and yellow lily. "This is a Fire Lily. They grow around up here. I, uh, put one behind your ear."

Now that she was aware it was there, she felt the flower rubbing against her face. "Why?"

He shrugged. "Just to do something nice for ya."

She cracked a sheepish smile. "Thanks."

He nodded and fell back down on the blankets. The silence that ensued wasn't at all awkward. At least not for Rainbow Dash. She looked up at the stars while she fought her internal mental and emotional battle. She wondered how the flower in her mane made her look pretty, then swatted those thoughts away to be replaced with thoughts about how nice it was to be complimented on something other than her flight skills.

It wasn't long before Cloud started to snore. She rolled her eyes. Feelings of contentedness blew over her with the cool wind. The positive thoughts of it all began to overtake her. Now all she knew was that of all the things Cloud had ever said to her, he was right about one thing:

She had finally realized her love for him.