• Published 10th Jul 2013
  • 1,813 Views, 17 Comments

Lucky Horseshoes - OmegaMysterium



Caramel is the new stallion in town, and is finding settling in and finding work more than a little difficult. However, everything's about to turn upside down when he has a chance run-in with Big Macintosh and a bond of friendship is forged.

  • ...
15
 17
 1,813

Late Night Visitor

“Knock! Knock!”

Caramel groaned, turning over in his sleep. His dreams were restless, thoughts churning around inside his head as if they were being blended with an electric whisk. Memories of home, family and friends swirled together with the underlying stress of having to find work in a town full of ponies he really didn’t know, like some strange metaphorical ice cream. He licked his lips and rolled onto his belly; his dreams sure were strange when he was hungry...

“Knock! Knock!”

He tossed and turned under the sheets, his subconscious trying to push the stressful thoughts to one side, trying to find something else to focus on. In the end, for no apparent reason they fell on the image the strangest of images: that of a large crimson pony. Its features were blurred and distorted beyond recognition through a pale mist, which oddly enough smelt strongly of apple juice. But it was definitely male; the jaw line was very square in shape.

It was strange, but the image somehow seemed to quieten Caramel’s restless dreams, while at the same time also leaving him slightly nervous and apprehensive for reasons he couldn’t really put his hoof on. He stepped closer through the dream-fog, taking in more of the stallion’s features. A pair of green eyes slowly opened, giving way to a blank expression that stared silently down at Caramel. As the fog cleared, a golden mane, a large horse collar and even a set of freckles came into view. It was the face of Big Macintosh.

“What are you doing in my dream?”

The image of the stallion smiled for a second, and then it was gone, leaving Caramel pondering over his own question. Why would that stallion be visiting him in his dream? It wasn’t as if he actually knew him or anything; he was just a pony he’d happened to (quite literally) bump into and share a few pleasantries with; an acquaintance, yes, but not exactly a friend or anything like that. He did give me an apple, the thought to himself as he covered his aching head with the blanket. That was nice of him. Maybe that’s why I’m thinking of him, because he gave me free food!

“Knock! Knock!”

He probably thinks I’m a complete klutz though, he mused as he turned over again. He’d banged his head at least three times, and spilt a good number of his apples. Maybe that was the reason; he was being plagued by his own self-consciousness. It wouldn’t be the first time.

“Knock! Knock!”

That bump on the head must have been worse than he thought, his head was pounding and blood was pumping in his ears like the beat of a mighty drum. His eyes clenched shut, trying to shut out the horrible knocking and ringing in his ears while the image of a red stallion seemed to move further and further away, opening its mouth to speak...

“Knock! Knock! Wakey-wakey sleepy-pony! Rise and shine!”

Caramel sat bolt up-right, his bruised forehead aching with a dull pain as a shrill voice jolted him awake. He glanced around the darkened bedroom with drowsy eyes, peering at the clock on his bedside table.

00.01 am.

He groaned and rubbed his temples, still trying to make sense of his dream. But the dream seemed to elude him, and by the time he’d swung himself to the side to get up it began to fade as all dreams do when you enter the waking world. Another knock came from the door. Fumbling slightly he found the switch and the dim lights stuttered into life. Groggy as a new-born foal, he slowly made his way across the small living room to the front door. He was still half-asleep, and was strangely far too tired to even be grouchy with his late-night visitor. He just wanted to get it over with and go back to sleep. He staggered to the door, almost falling through it onto the porch as he opened the latch, the cool night air hitting him like another horse collar to the head.

“Gooooooooood morning!”

Caramel rubbed his eyes, looking up into the beaming face of a very excited looking Pinkie Pie.

“P.... Pinkie...” Caramel half-groaned-half-yawned, leaning heavily on the door frame just to stay upright. “Do you know what time it is?”

“One minute after midnight!” Pinkie Pie beamed as though this was a perfectly reasonable time to make a surprise visit. “You’d better sit down I have great news!” Before he’d even had time to yawn she’d invited herself inside and had pushed a very tired and confused Caramel backwards into an old arm chair which creaked under his weight.

“I pinkie promised you that I’d tell you if I found who anypony needed any jobs doing and I never break a Pinkie Promise! I asked everypony in Ponyville but I couldn’t find anything so I was getting super worried you wouldn’t earn any money and have to leave! But I just heard that B-“

Caramel couldn’t contain the yawn any longer, drowning out the sound for several seconds. He was so tired he could only half-listen anyway.

“-and Applejack needed a spare set of hooves at Sweet Apple Acres and I said that you’d be up for the job and he said I should tell first thing in the morning! I was super excited and just couldn’t wait to tell you I couldn’t sleep and I didn’t want to sleep in case I forgot to tell you and you didn’t get the job so here I am; first thing in the morning!” She said all of this very fast, barely pausing for breath.

“That’s... that’s great Pinkie, but it isn’t-“Caramel glanced at the clock again: 00.01am. “Oh... never mind.” He rubbed his eyes, trying to soak in the news. “That was fast!”

“Sure was, silly!” Pinkie was now bouncing up and down, making Caramel dizzy as he tried to follow her movements, the same big grin plastered on her face. “Western side of Ponyville, you can’t miss it! You’ll love The Apple Family they are just the nicest ponies you could ever meet and Applejack is one of my best friends! Me and Twilight and Rarity and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were helping her during Apple-Buck Season but the Cakes need me at Sugar Cube Corner and Twilight has her studies and Rainbow Dash has the weather to manage and Fluttershy has her animals and Rarity has dresses to make so they could really use another pair of hooves around the place! He wants you down there first thing tomorrow morning! Gooooood luck!”

And with that, she bounced out of the door and with a flick of her cotton-candy tail she was gone. Caramel sat there, staring open-mouthed as the door clicked shut behind her. He rubbed his temple with his hooves, feeling another headache coming on. How in the world could one pony speak so much without breathing?

It was fantastic news to say the least, but Caramel couldn’t help feeling he’d be a little more... enthusiastic if the news had come at a more convenient hour. But a night of disturbed sleep was well worth potentially securing a job and been getting references in one night, even if it was only temporary. He smiled softly and slouched in his chair, closing his eyes sleepily.

“Pinkie Pie... you are so... random...”

“Hey! That’s Rainbow’s line!”

But Pinkie’s call fell on deaf ears, for Caramel was already snoring quietly once more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caramel knocked his hoof three times on the farmhouse door, hearing a dull echo reverberating through the wood. He took a step back, looking up at the great crimson building towering over him. It was a lot different from the other buildings he’d passed in town; it was more like a stylised barn that had been added to over the years with extra rooms built into the sides and in the hay roof. It was actually quite pretty, with its spotless paintwork and white frames, not to mention the decorative apple patterns emblazoning the walls. Quite fitting for an apple farm, he thought to himself.

He stretched, letting out a deep-throated yawn. Spending the night in an arm chair had left him feeling rather stiff, and not managing to get much sleep after Pinkie's surprise visit didn't help much either. The walk had helped to clear his head, but he couldn't help feeling more than a little nervous,

“Can ah help y’all?”

Caramel jumped at least three feet in the air, very nearly knocking his head for a fourth time. He hadn’t realised the door had already been answered while he’d been admiring the architecture. In the doorway stood a light orange mare round about his age, her blonde mane spilling from underneath a rather large western-style hat. There was something very familiar about her voice, the accent very strong, not unlike one he’d heard since he’d arrived in town, but couldn’t put his hoof on- his head was still rather sore.

“Um, y-yes miss, my name’s Caramel... um... miss-” he was cut off by a rather suddenly as his right hoof was grabbed rather roughly and yanked to his hooves.

“Aww, no need to be so formal, partner!” the mare said with a very friendly smile. “The name’s Applejack an’ welcome tah Sweet Apple Acres!” She smiled, shaking Caramel’s whole foreleg.

“T-thankyou, M-miss Applejack,” Caramel stammered a little. He was still getting used to just how forward and open everypony was around here.

“Just call me Applejack sugar cube,” Applejack smiled, stifling a yawn. It was only then that Caramel noticed the dark circles under the mare’s eyes. Despite her overall friendly, energetic demeanour he could sense an overwhelming sense of fatigue about her. Sure, he hadn’t exactly slept well after Pinkie’s surprise visit in the middle of the night but it looked like she had gone for at least a week without sleep. “Y’all must be the one Pinkie Pie told mah brother about...” Her eyes drooped, almost closing completely.

Brother?

“Y-yes; um... are you alright miss, uh... I-I mean, Applejack?” it looked like the poor mare was about to topple over at any moment.

“Y-yeah, yeah ah’m fine...” Applejack stifled another yawn before turning to call inside the farmhouse. “Hey... there’s a pony here to see ya Big-“

Caramel had to lunge forward and get his head under her neck just to stop her falling to the floor. He quickly shuffled underneath her to he could support her. He had to, otherwise she’d have taken him down with her. “A-are you sure you’re okay, Apple-“

He was cut short by loud snoring and heavy breaths ruffling his mane. Caramel sighed, jostling the mare a little with a shake of his neck, but she didn’t wake and he quickly deemed the exercise useless. Applejack seemed to be growing heavier as she began to rest more and more of her weight on Caramel who was by now struggling to hold her up, his legs shaking beneath him. It wasn’t because she was overweight; the orange coat simply hid a lot of well-trained muscles from years of farm work beneath it. It wasn’t exactly helping his already shaky nerves either.

Horseapples... Caramel groaned. His potential boss was fast asleep on his back and he didn’t know if he’d be able to hold her up for much longer. What on Earth was he supposed to do now?

Just then came the sound of approaching footsteps from inside the farmhouse and a deep southern voice came to answer his question, and remove some of Applejack’s weight from his shoulders.

“Need a hoof there, Caramel?”