• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 1,721 Views, 9 Comments

Vinyl Scratch Meets Rainbow Dash - Nights



This is the life and death of Vinyl Scratch. //A Vinyl Scratch and Rainbow Dash shipfic.

  • ...
5
 9
 1,721

Morning After Coffee

Hello, my name is Vinyl Scratch. To the media, I was one of the greatest DJ's to ever live. To my friends, I was the loving pony who did her best to help everyone. And to the mare I cared about the most, I was the worst pony ever.

What I'm about to tell you is a story of love and loss. Of happiness and anguish. This is my story. This is the life and death of Vinyl Scratch.

***

Vinyl had just awoken from a rather joyous nights sleep. You wouldn't think it, but being a DJ is hard work. She opened her eyes several times as they kept managing to work their way closed. Gazing to her right at the dimly lit alarm clock, she thought to herself, "I can't believe I slept in this late. I wasn't even drinking last night." She proceeded to roll over to rest awhile longer. As she did just that, she took more than several takes at the mare laying beside her. In an unnaturally calm manner, she again thought to herself, "Or did I?"

Before she could react, the strange mare rolled over in her sleep. To Vinyl's surprise, that mare was none other than Equestria's greatest flier, Rainbow Dash. "Okay, okay, okay," she thought, "I can understand the drinking. I can understand the crashing. I can even understand the waking up next to a mare." Vinyl averted her gaze then slowly turned her attention back to Rainbow Dash, "But Dash? I mean, come on! How in Celestia's name did that happen?"

Taking a moment to think, she looked at Rainbow Dash. The slight form of panic was now gone and she was lost in thought. She was thinking how beautiful the mare next to her was while sleeping. She had seen this face every day for Celestia knows how long, yet she couldn't have been more interested than in this moment. Without realizing what she was doing, she leaned in to get a better look.

Whether it was the strange feeling of somepony hovering over you, or just some strange Pegasi thing, Rainbow opened her eyes and, true to her name, dashed away. "Hey! Just what the buck do you think you're doing!?" she questioned Vinyl.

"I uh, well I," Vinyl shook her head and furrowed her brow, "I should ask you the same thing. Why are you in my home, Rainbow? Actually, scratch that, why are you in my bed?"

Rainbow, who must have just regained her thought process, blushed deeply, "Uh, yeah. Well, you see about that . . ." She was being rather hesitant, something which Vinyl would normally find amusing; in this instance, however, that hesitance was eluding her an explanation.

"Come on, Rainbow. What the buck happened last night?"

Rainbow, was now blushing even deeper. This wasn't the kind of normal blush though, this was the saddened-heartbroken-hopelessness kind of blush. "You mean, you don't remember?"

"Well, no, not exactly. I remember being at a party, doing my DJ thing, and then I remember leaving and . . . well, nothing." Vinyl rubbed her hoof on the back of her head as if to release some forgotten memories, to no avail of course.

Rainbow gave out a long sigh, "Well, I'll tell you what happened last night. Can we get some coffee first?"

Vinyl, seeing no reason not to get coffee and very welcoming, at the moment, to any form of energization, shrugged, "Sure, why not."

***

Vinyl, now in her kitchen with Rainbow Dash, was pouring coffee into two cups that had been placed on the table. Once she finished filling the cups, she returned the pot to its rightful place. "So Rainbow," Vinyl said sitting down in one of the chairs, "about last night?"

Rainbow, who was mid-sip of her coffee, hesitated once more, "It's not that complicated. We met up after the show and caught a few drinks together. I was way over the legal limit to fly, and you said you didn't want me to get a FWI so you brought me back here. We passed out and here we are." She made a sort of movement with that last sentence to signify the 'here' part.

"I do have a guest bedroom." Vinyl gave a sort of nod to an almost empty room towards the back. The only things contained within was a bed and an old bass cannon. Vinyl stores the old one there ever since she upgraded to the 'BC-3000' model.

Rainbow shrugged taking another sip of coffee, "We were both pretty thrashed. I honestly didn't know you had it in you." She gave her classic Rainbow laugh, "I knew you liked to party but you drank me under the table!"

Vinyl quickly motioned with her hoof for Rainbow to be quiet. One of her ears flipped up, the other down, as she listened for movement above them.

Rainbow, now looking around, whispered, "What's wrong?"

Vinyl hoofed to the ceiling, "I got a roommate upstairs. She's asleep right now and I really don't want to wake her."

"This situation probably wouldn't look good then," Rainbow gave a soft chuckle.

"Nah, she's used to it. I make sure not to be too loud." Vinyl sipped on her coffee, jolting a bit from the still steaming liquid.

"Wait, she's used to you bringing ponies home?" Rainbow gave a devilish grin, "So who's the lucky stallion?"

To that Vinyl gave a chuckle of her own, "Oh no, you're barking up the wrong tree there, Rainbow. That's not my thing."

"Oh, so you were just talking about the drinking thing." Rainbow laughed, a bit awkwardly, while simultaneously rubbing the back of her head.

"Nope," Vinyl replied, taking another sip of her coffee.

Rainbow, giving a look of confusion, said, "Wait, so then that means that?" To which Vinyl simply nodded. "So you're a fillyfooler!!" Rainbow exclaimed, a bit louder than Vinyl and her roommate would have liked.

Vinyl, quick to quiet Rainbow, said in a softer tone, "Yea. You didn't know that, Rainbow?"

Rainbow, blushing a little, shook her head, "N-No, not really. I never thought of you as the type."

"Yea, well it is what it is." Vinyl shrugged, "I just don't see any interest in stallions. They never seem as," she paused thinking of the right way to put it, "educated as mares. The only conversational topic I can have with a stallion is normally about food or the bed. I just got tired of it, ya' know."

Rainbow replied with a smile, "Yeah, I can see where you're coming from."

Vinyl was hesitant to ask, which she almost wasn't going to, "So . . . are you?"

Rainbow, caught off guard, replied with, "Am I what?"

Vinyl let out a soft sigh, "Do you like stallions or mares?" Blushing a bit from asking outright.

Blushing again, Rainbow gave an eerie sort of grin, "Well, I don't really know."

It was Vinyl's turn to be confused now, "What do you mean you don't know?" She wasn't really pressing for an answer. It was more curiosity than anything else.

"Well, I've never actually been in a relationship. I've never had a special somepony." To that, Vinyl simply dropped her coffee cup. It hit the table shattering, sending coffee all about.

Not long after, a voice could be heard from upstairs yelling, "Vinyl, I told you I don't mind you bringing your marefriends home, but could you please keep it down! I have a show tonight."

"Sorry, Octavia!" Vinyl automatically replied, making it certain she had awoken her slumbering roommate on more than one occasion.

Author's Note:

Just in case you didn't connect the dots, 'FWI' means 'Flying While Intoxicated'.

I'd like to go ahead and thank you all for reading. This is my first chapter to be uploaded on the site, so far. I'm definitely looking forward to continuing this story.

I was oddly inspired by reading a friends work, oddly because it wasn't related to FIM in any shape or form. So I sat down, thought about a ship you don't see too often and viola.

I intend to keep this PG-13. I will more than likely have certain references that only the older crowd would get, like the show, but nothing grotesque.

Thanks again for reading everyone, and look forward to more chapters soon.