• Published 19th Feb 2012
  • 2,235 Views, 27 Comments

Pegasus Densetsu - Wyrm



Fluttershy's friends learn not to judge a pony by their face.

  • ...
0
 27
 2,235

Fluttershy

Pegasus Densetsu

MLP:FiM by Lauren Faust (Hasbro)
Angel Densetsu by Norihiro Yagi

Chapter 1: Fluttershy


Somewhere in the nebulous town of Cloudsdale, the daughter of a certain pegasus family was preparing for her first day of school. "Bag, pencils, paper, bird sanctuary membership card, lunch, styling gel," she murmured, going through her saddlebag. Nodding in satisfaction that she had gathered everything that was necessary, she slung the saddlebag over her back and called out (quietly), "Mom. Dad. I'm going now."

Not waiting for an answer, she stepped out into the bright new day in the clouds. "The sky is blue and beautiful again today," she sighed, contentment filling her soul, and finally put one hoof forward on the cloudy boulevard to begin her journey.

Here, in the magical land of Equestria, this filly was born with a serenely honest and simple heart. Such souls were not uncommon in this land, a land united by harmony as a national creed. She was not all that assertive, and had difficulty making friends — more difficult than most.

Fluttershy pranced energetically down the cobble-cloud road, humming tunelessly to herself. A bluejay swooped in to nuzzle the pegasus briefly in greeting before moving on to other business, but not before Fluttershy greeted him back, "Hello, little friend. I hope you enjoy today, as I hope I will." The bluejay chirped back in agreement before moving on. Fluttershy waved goodbye.

A few strides later, she came upon an old, greying pegasus, going by the name of Old Tock, carrying a heavy load of groceries on his back and in two saddlebags. Even for creatures born for draft as ponies are, it was too much to put on the back of such a distinguished senior.

Screwing her up her courage, Fluttershy trotted up to his side and spoke with sincerity, "Hello, sir. That looks a bit heavy. Please, let me help you."

The old pegasus sighed with relief as the sweet voice filled his ears. "Oh, thank you, my dear. These bags were getti—"

His words stopped dead as his eyes fell upon the filly, and his pupils shrunk to points within their irises. The only thing coming out of his mouth then on was an inarticulate gurgle of terror.

The eyes that regarded him were beady, pupils impossibly small in irises barely larger than they were. Her eyelids were almost stretched open, making her eyes seem slightly bulging. Dark rings marked the flesh around them, particularly their undersides. As if that wasn't horrific enough, the yellow filly's lips were pulled up in a taut sneer, and peeled back to reveal her slightly misaligned teeth up to her gums. Reduced nostrils made breathing through her nose a mite difficult, and as such Fluttershy had turned into a habitual mouth-breather, which did nothing good for her throat, and found her voice often taking on a rasp or gargle or some other horrific quality. Finally, her face was quite gaunt, as if she were made of wax and left out in the sun a bit too long. It was a face that belonged to a mass-murdering maniac and drug fiend, not the gentle, nature-loving little filly she was.

Old Tock had heard about such creatures in Equestria, that despite the national commitment to the principles of harmony, there were still those born with a heart of darkness. They were thankfully not common, but where they turned up, they inspired fear and oppression through violence and intimidation. This filly, no doubt, was one such creature. Who knows what kind of carnage she had caused other ponies, even at her young age with no cutie mark.

"Y-You can't fool me! I may be from the sticks, but I know trouble when I see it!" Old Tock shrieked behind him as he felt renewed vigor flow through his veins in a gallop. "You punk!" came a last insult from the old pony.

Fluttershy stared after the old pony as he half-ran, half-flew away from her, making best speed. Ah, it's happened again. And all I wanted to do was help out, thought the yellow filly with the horrible face. She let out a breath, rasping through her perpetual sneer. They all say they can see through me, but I have nothing to hide. I guess this world is full of suspicious ponies. A glance at a nearby clock tower revealed her lateness. "Oh my goodness! I have to hurry!"

—/—

"'Fluttershy'? Is she really that good a student? Transferring in this late is highly irregular," said Charlie Horse, one of the PE instructors at Cloudsdale Flight School. He was a robustly built brown-coated pegasus stallion with short-cut mane and tail, with a running pony cutie mark. A green whistle hung down from around his neck.

The old grey-coated stallion with a book cutie mark, Principal Cheerful Sign, chuckled. "Irregular as it is, this filly comes with the most glowing of recommendations from her previous school, Cumulopolis Academy. Her report card is magnificent. And she has a nice name, as well."

Charlie inspected the papers, spotting the blank spot where the transfer student's picture should be. "Too bad they couldn't send a picture of her."

"They must have been in a hurry. No matter. We'll get a look at her soon enough."

A knock came from the door.

"Ah, that must be her now," declared Cheerful, "Come on in!"

The door opened, and the pale yellow pegasus stepped in. Her pink hair was flopped over the right side of her face. "Please... forgive me... for being late," she wheezed, her throat slightly sore and voice raspy from her heavy breathing. She had to run harder than she was used to in making up for lost time, and ran out of breath what seemed like ages ago.

Cheerful and Charlie recoiled in horror, sending chairs clattering to the ground as they stumbled over them. Cheerful in particular whinnied in fright, before regaining a measure of wits in self-assured righteousness. "Who are you?!" he demanded, "Don't you know this is a principal's office, you troublemaker!"

Fluttershy blinked in confusion. "Um. I'm... I'm Fluttershy... I'm the student transferring in today," she stammered, tucking her head in slightly.

"DO NOT LIE TO ME!!" roared the principal. "Is that the face of someone with a gentle name and exemplary grades and character?! You are not Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy was confused. She had been often told that her face was quite distinctive and unmistakable. Had her previous school forgotten to attach a picture to her papers?

"See here! You might be lucky that they didn't send a photograph but that doesn't mean I believe you! Not for one second!" continued the principal.

Ah, of course they did. Those silly administrators, thought Fluttershy sadly.

"Now, now, Cheerful! She's done nothing wrong as yet. Do you have any identification, Fluttershy?"

Ah, good thing I was planning to drop by the bird sanctuary later today, Fluttershy thought, her grin widening. "I have this membership card from the bird sanctuary," she said, pulling the photo card out of her saddlebag.

Cheerful took her widening leer completely the wrong way. "HA! You were planning to sadistically butcher birds there, you sicko!" bellowed Cheerful, pointing a shaking, accusatory hoof at her.

"Principal Sign, calm yourself! Let's see that card." Charlie cradled the card on his outstretched hoof and examined it up close. Sure enough, it was a photo ID, and it showed Fluttershy having her current terrifying mug. "Well, if this pony isn't Fluttershy, then it is a very elaborate deception. Too elaborate for a filly."

"Charlie! Don't tell me that you believe this hooligan!" spewed Cheerful Sign. "I haven't lived fifty years without knowing that's the face of a villain!"

Charlie shook his head; there was no point arguing with Cheerful Sign at this point. "Come, Fluttershy. I'll show you to your class."

"Thank you, sir," said the strange pony quietly as she followed him out the door.

As soon as the door latched, Cheerful Sign collapsed to the floor. "What could have happened at Cumulopolis Academy to be that desperate to get rid of her?"

—/—

"I'm sorry about him. The principal is very quick to judge by appearances," said Charlie as they walked the cloud-constructed hallway of Cloudsdale Flight School.

Fluttershy looked at Charlie with the bravest face she could (which still looked terrifying). "Please don't worry. I'm used to it. It's always been this way," she said, sadness creeping into her voice. She turned away, continuing ahead, "I just want to get along with everypony, but everypony... keeps running away..." The both of them stopped, as the sounds of sobbing came from her bowed head.

I see. Her face must have been causing her grief her entire life. I see now she's actually a sweet pony. I'll do my best to support her from now on, thought Charlie Horse. "Fluttershy..." he began. Charlie reached out to rub her shoulder to comfort her, but jumped back before he was able to make contact. She's scary even when she's crying! he thought, recalling the brief glimpse of her tearstained face.

—/—

And so, introductions began for our angel-hearted, devil-faced friend.

"We have a new student joining our class today. This is Fluttershy. Everyone please treat her nicely," Charlie Horse said to his class.

Fluttershy's eyes were aglow with anticipation. Okay, I have to let them know I'm not a bad pony! Then she began to speak, her voice a bit tight with nervousness and hope, "I'm Fluttershy. My face may look like this, but underneath I'm shy and timid, and I love animals." Fluttershy widened her grin to what she hoped would radiate friendliness. "I hope we can all get along."

If she could hear the thoughts of the students, she would have known that her plan hadn't gone over so well.

She's scary!

She's not messin' around!

She must have supreme confidence in herself if she can tell everyone she's shy and timid.

What does she mean she 'loves animals'? As a meal?

That face. It's freaky.

You'd think that a pony like her would be embarrassed by the name 'Fluttershy' and make up a pseudonym. She must be doubly confident in herself.

'Get along' must be code for 'you will be obedient under pain of pain.'

I think I just wet myself!

Fluttershy sat herself at her desk, one in back next to the row of windows to the outside. She was almost giddy with anticipation. I think that went well! Wouldn't it be great if ponies could come introduce themselves so I can get to know them before class?

Her hope was in vain. Nopony dared move from their seat. She'll kill me if I move first! was the gist of every student in the room.

—/—

First period could not arrive soon enough for the ponies of Fluttershy's class, if only that it would be over sooner.

"Good morning, everypony! First period is Equestrian Literature!" shouted Cheeraloo as she burst into the classroom on a cloud of unbridled energy. Cheeraloo was a grape-purple pegasus pony with violet and white streaked mane and tail, and a cutie mark with a single laughing flower. "Let's have lots of fun today!" she concluded her greeting with completely useless energy.

Instead of the usual din of greetings and eager anticipation that usually greeted her, she was met with dead silence. This stilled her cheerful routine quite quickly. Huh? thought the perturbed extrovert, Normally, I'm a popular teacher because of my sunny personality. Oh well, I'll just bring them in with my Pony Relationship Special Talent, like always. "Oh, that's right! We're supposed to have a new transfer student today. I wonder where she is?" she asked.

The majority of the students in class were united in their silent admonishment of the teacher who was courting death.

Y... you ditz!
Leave it alone! Just leave it!
You're messing with forces beyond your ken!
You wanna die young, you dippy teacher?!

Cheeraloo, oblivious to the concerns of her students, took a glance at the seating chart. "Let's see, the back window seat..." she murmured, looking up toward said seat.

Upon seeing the frightful filly, Cheeraloo whinnied and reared back, pressing her back against the blackboard instinctively to get as far as possible from this frightful vision. Discordant thoughts raced through her head, W-Who is that?! Mr. Horse said she was supposed to be a model student, but she looks more like a model thug. B... but I will not falter! Even bad ponies fall sway to my sense of humor! She calmed herself, recovering a proper equine posture, and prepared to win the troublesome new student over. "So your name is Fluttershy. Such a gentle name. I'm Cheeraloo, from right here in Cloudsdale," she said, all friendly-like. "Where'd you flutter in from, Fluttershy?" Cheeraloo asked, turning her inquiry of the new student's origins into a joke — to which she laughed loudly, just to let everypony know it was funny.

It seemed her student's didn't think it was so funny, as dead silence answered her. Instead, their faces and thoughts were filled with fear:

You dummy!
You put your hoof right in the stinky stuff!
You're out of your gourd!

Cheeraloo let out a nervous laugh, realizing her joke fell completely flat. "Ah ha ha ha... I guess I was reaching way too far for that one," she laughed nervously and contritely.

They came to be aware of a gurgling jog of almost-laughter. With a growing knot of fear in her stomach, Cheeraloo came to the realization that it was coming from the new student. That almost-laugh also drew the attention of the other students.

Fluttershy's face was tensed up in what looked like a hideous scowl, stretched tighter than a skin on a tanning stretcher. Her leer was stretched tightest of all. "That was a very funny joke! You're a fun pony... Ms. Cheeraloo," she said through her horrifying laughter and that tight mouth, which doesn't do anything for making one's voice sound comforting or congenial.

Cheeraloo's pupils shrunk to pinpricks as the terror fully descended upon her. Letting out a scream, she flattened herself against the blackboard again. "I'm... I'm sorry!" she pleaded, "Please forgive me! I didn't mean anything by it! I just wanted to ease the tension!" She fell to all fours, kowtowing at the head of the class, begging in a pathetic, blubbering squeal, "Please! Don't kill me! I have a foal and a husband and—" She continued her breakdown, but this account will stop there.

Fluttershy was made uneasy by the teacher's fit and the horrified looks of the other students. But... I really did think it was funny! thought the puzzled devil-faced filly.

—/—

As the bell signaling the end of the school day rang, behind the school, three older pegasi were gathered in an impromptu meeting. All three were notorious pranksters, establishing their dominance not through violence, but through fun, games, and especially pranks. The first was a snow white pegasus with poofy yellow mane and tail and a trio of purple balloons as a cutie mark. "So, did you hear about the meanie mean pants that just transfered in from Cumulopolis Academy?" asked Surprise.

The pink-coated, blue haired pegasus with three blue lightning bolts for a cutie mark was none other than Firefly, the self-proclaimed hardest-core daredevil of the school. She was a part of this group because she had a penchant for pranks like Surprise. "Yeah. She silenced Mr. Horse's homeroom class and scared the whatnot out of Cheeraloo this morning, just from her evil eyes!" said the spunky filly, "She's MAD-scary!"

"Hushing a whole class with just a look isn't something to scoff at, but it's a meanie pants thing to do. For the peace of the school, we got to prank her to show her that laughter is superior to pouty-scary scowling face!" Surprise shot back. "No matter how scary she is, we gotta pay her a visit."

The red-coated filly was Firecracker. She was a filly with a short, straight black mane and a constellation of points that traced out a flower as a cutie mark, indicating she was a pony with a talent in pyrotechnics. It was a skill that proved useful in pranks, for loud noises had the tendency to surprise equines. "Yeah, with all three of us, the Trickster Queens, we'll definitely get her to lighten up," she agreed.

The white pegasus snorted with a grin, "Yeah, we'll definilutely turn that frown upside down!" She turned her head upside down in illustration, then all but dove into a pile of party favors, murmuring about her preparations.

Firefly eyed her colleague, "'Definilutely'? Is that even a word?"

"Like Surprise cares," Firecracker shrugged.

—/—

Nopony had moved since the sound of the end of day bell. Fluttershy waited politely for others to leave first, but with the advancing time, she had a growing suspicion what the problem was. Abruptly, she left her seat and walked out of the room.

"She left."

"Toilet, maybe?"

"She won't be back, right?"

A collective sigh whispered through the classroom, and the thick tension in the air faded.

"Man, I was petrified the whole day!" sighed Record Time, a brown on brown pegasus colt with an hourglass cutie mark.

"That was terrifying," moaned Cloud Kicker.

"It felt like she could explode at any moment," added Drizzle.

Several others laughed. "I'm just happy to be alive!" exclaimed Opal Water.

Just outside the door, Fluttershy was listening in on the conversation. Seems I was right. It was my fault everyone was so quiet, she thought sadly, Nuts. I tried so hard to introduce myself, too... Fluttershy sighed mentally. It's not that I feel bad about being feared and hated (though I actually do feel bad about that), more at the fact that the entire class was gloomy because of the dark cloud I bring everywhere.

A few feet away, three pegasi came upon room 1G. They saw a yellow pegasus filly facing away from them, lurking around the door.

"There's a filly I don't recognize in front of Mr. Horse's homeroom class," whispered Firefly.

"It must be the new pony," agreed Firecracker.

Surprise grinned in anticipation. "First impressions are important! Seize the initiative! This ambush will show her who's boss!" She put her hooves on the fully-loaded party cannon and wheeled it forward. "Quietly, quietly..." she whispered, licking her lips. Surprise stopped just short of Fluttershy, took up the lighted taper and brought it slowly down on the touchhole. True, firing a party-cannon from this range to throw whipped cream onto the new pony was a bit mean, but it would establish their dominance and hopefully break any spell of intimidation she had over the class.

Fluttershy thought she heard something transpiring behind her, so she turned around. Her eyes fell upon a white pegasus with poofy hair failing to bring a lighted taper down on a cannon's flashpan.

Surprise froze in surprise as soon as Fluttershy's face came into view. Behind her, Firefly and Firecracker also froze. Eyes wide with fear, pupils reflexively almost closing altogether, they stood frozen in position for a moment by the medusa's glare, before breaking out of the glare a moment later.

"HYAA!!!" screamed Firecracker, the first to regain her wits (such as they were) and run away from the danger.

"EEEE! RETREAT! RUN FOR IT! RUN AWAYYYY!" Surprise shrieked, dropping the taper and galloped away, pumping her wings as fast as she could to add speed.

"WAAAHHH!! DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!!" wailed Firefly as she brought up the rear.

Fluttershy blinked in confusion. I wonder what that was all about, she thought earnestly. Her confusion overwhelming her, she absently stamped out the lighted taper before its flames could spread. She looked down to see the long barrel of a cast iron cannon just besides her. Is that a party-cannon? Those can be dangerous, plus it clutters the hallway. I'd better return it to them. With that, she started pushing it down the hall before her.

—/—

Back in their usual meeting spot, the three pranksters were having a heated discussion concerning the new pony. "Did you see her eyes?! She's WHACK! It looked like she'd take out everything in her path!" Firefly babbled, almost frantic with fright.

Surprise's teeth were chattering together. "M-M-Mother of Celestia, that face!"

"We'd have been turned to glue if we had stayed!" bemoaned Firecracker.

Firefly frowned, the sick feeling churning in her stomach. "I think it's even worse than that. If my intuition is right, she's a dope fiend!" she announced gravely. "That gaunt face and bags under the eyes. Classic case of heroin abuse."

"What? Heroin? The devil's brew of the poppy pod?" gasped Firecracker.

"Cripes! She's bad news!" Surprise shouted, wild-eyed and worried. "Let's not do anything to her for now, 'kay?"

"Agreed!" shouted Firecracker.

"Darn right!" Firefly squeaked, swallowing a great gulp of fear.

—/—

Fluttershy finally managed to push the party-cannon out of the school building. Wiping her brow from the exertion, she was rewarded with the sight of the beautiful warm colors of the sunset. "What a pretty sunset," she sighed, basking in the final light of the day. "It's too bad that I couldn't make any friends today, but seeing the beauty in the clouds and sky, especially during this time, gives me new hope." Her smile tightened in sincere optimism. "I'm certain there will come a day when everyone will understand me for who I am." Louder, she called out to the waiting sky, "Thank you, sky, the sun, the clouds, and the great earth. Thanks to all of you, I can live in happiness."

Around the corner, Firecracker was listening to this exchange. To her, it sounded bizarre. "What's she talking about? Wait! Is that our party-cannon?"

Fluttershy seemed to notice the cannon then, too. "I know! After I return this cannon, I can pay the campus flower bed a favor and say hello!" She started pushing the party-cannon before her, in search of various objectives.

Firecracker flew back to the meeting spot post-haste to report what she had seen.

—/—

"So she was talking to no one?" asked Firefly.

"That's right. Some junk about flowers and happiness," replied Firecracker.

Firefly bit her hoof nervously. "This is bad. I've heard about that demon brew, heroin. Her supply must be drying up. They sound like withdrawal symptoms," she explained, "Addicts in withdrawal are the most dangerous! They're WHACK and may be prone to lashing out at random strangers!"

Before this fact could fully sink in, Firecracker piped up with more bad news. "Oh, shoot! There's something else! She had our party-cannon with her!"

"What?!" Surprise yelped.

"She was murmuring something about returning the favor!"

*DUN DUN DUNNNN!*

Surprise gasped. "Oh road apples! She got a good look at us when we were about to prank her, didn't she?! She's coming for us!"

Firecracker looked around nervously. "When she does, then we run, right?"

Surprise took a few deep breaths, calming herself. Once she regained her mental position as the Empress of Pranks, she said with a smile, "Now, now. Maybe not. We just have to prank her, but hard! That'll do what we originally planned." Her smile was widening as her pep talk worked as well on herself as on her companions. "Firecracker, Firefly, and me, Surprise, are the Trickster Queens of Cloudsdale Flight School! Together, there's no prank we can't pull off! The three of us are the strongest punking team ever!"

Firefly smiled, feeling her confidence grow. "You're right, Surprise!"

Surprise now began to rub her hooves together, her grin wide and devious. "I'm actually excited! This is the first time thinking of pranking someone has made me feel so happy!" She threw her hooves out and bellowed, "I will never be afraid again!"

[RIP Tomoe Mami]

A chill cascaded down Surprise's spine as she felt as if she'd trodden on somepony's (?) grave, or tripped over a death flag. She looked up, down the small alleyway that formed the secluded corner of their meeting place. At the far end of the alley stood Fluttershy, standing over the party-cannon. Once again, the three were frozen in fear.

Fluttershy saw the trio who had brought the cannon. Oh! There they are! she thought, her leer spreading as her elation at finding this cannon's rightful owners grew, Now I can return this cannon. With that, she started pushing the cannon forward, pointed straight at them.

Surprise gasped in shock. "Wha—! Why is she here, now?!" Hooves clamped her head in dispair. "I'm not ready! I'm nowhere near ready!" she shrieked.

"We're deep in the cow flop now!" Firefly wailed.

Fluttershy knew that pushing an unwieldy object such as a cannon was not a task to be taken lightly, or fast. She carefully pushed the heavy iron cannon along, slowly advancing towards the trio. Things seemed to be going well for about two feet, the cannon's wheels squeaking along as she slowly and cautiously pushed the iron cannon closer to the trio.

Then bad luck struck. Fluttershy tripped over a stone cloud. Her trip caused her to stumble forward. With her balance lost, she kicked her back legs to keep herself and the cannon from crashing to the ground in front of her and sending her tumbling onto the hard cloud street. Unfortunately, she was unable to use her frantic kicking to right herself; the cannon's weight had her stubbornly pulled forward, which induced her to kick more to keep her from falling, which propelled the cannon faster, which pulled her more off balance. It was a vicious cycle, and the two picked up speed as they thundered down the alleyway.

Fluttershy let out an inarticulate screech of her helplessness, "KIEEEEEE!!!"

"WAAAHHH!! I DON' WANNA DIE!!" screamed Surprise, as she realized too late that the cannon was headed straight for her.

*KA-CRASH!*

Fluttershy found her nose smacking into the cannon's barrel, drawing blood in a nosebleed. "Owwie!" moaned the yellow pegasus whose face just became a little more scary, if that were possible. She examined her hooftiwork.

Oh my goodness!

Surprise's head was pinched between the party-cannon's muzzle and the cloudy retaining wall of the school, deep cracks running in rays originating from behind Surprise's head. The rest of Surprise hung limply by the neck below the muzzle, swaying in the wind. The other two pegasi were sprawled on both sides, just staring agape in shock at the carnage that had been wrought.

[Charlotte wins!]

What have I done?! I've done something horrible to a complete stranger! thought Fluttershy as she realized her error. They're going to be so very mad at me!

"WE SURRENDER!!" squealed the two other pegasi as they prostrated themselves before Fluttershy.

"Huh?"

"WE WILL NO LONGER PRANK OR OPPOSE YOU!!" Firefly shouted, still prostrating.

"Oh no! I should be the one apologizing," Fluttershy began.

"YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU LIKE WITH SURPRISE, BUT I BEG YOU TO SPARE US!!"

Oh dear, thought Fluttershy. It was just a mistake, but it doesn't seem that they're listening.

Fluttershy meekly rolled back the cannon from Surprise's face. Now free of the cannon's muzzle and the wall, Surprise flopped to the cloud surface with eyes all a-twisty and a wicked bruise around her face. "B'duh!" she groaned.

—/—

After getting poor Surprise to the nurse's office, Fluttershy decided she had had enough for one day. It was time for her original plan to visit the cute birdies at the sanctuary. But that thought reminded her that she had left her membership card with the principal. Oh my! I nearly forgot about that! thought the yellow pegasus, The ponies at the bird sanctuary know me, but it would be troublesome if I lost my membership card.

Meanwhile, in Cheerful Sign's office, the principal was regarding the membership card with the ugly mug of Fluttershy staring at him, mocking him even though it was only a picture. "What could have happened to her to change her so?" he mused while studying the photograph. "Maybe drugs?" His face screwed up and he shed a single stallionly tear. "Such a tragedy to befall her! But tragedy or no, she has turned into a different pony, rotten to the core. I must defend my school against her wickedness."

A knock at the door announced the arrival of a student. "Come," Cheerful said absently.

The door creaked open, and the unforgettable face of Fluttershy peeked through. "Excuse me, sir, but my ID," she began, walking towards the principal's desk.

Cheerful Sign choked and then leapt up to point an accusatory hoof at her once more. "You again! Are you going to make more trouble at my school?!" he demanded of her.

Fluttershy was a bit flustered at his behavior. "B-But it's mine," she protested, matter of factly. The ponies at the sanctuary trust me enough to give me that card. How can I simply leave it behind?

Fluttershy stepped forward, then leaned over to grasp her membership card in her mouth. She took a moment to return it to her saddlebag, then turned around, walking toward the door. Upon opening the door to leave, she turned to face Cheerful Sign. Widening her smile in misplaced friendliness, she said, "Thank you for taking care of it. It would be... troublesome if you had lost it." She slipped through the door, closing it behind her.

"She's the nightmare herself! Nightmare Moon herself has infiltrated my school!" whimpered Cheerful Sign, just after collapsing to the ground in fear. He then realized what words had escaped his lips and steeled himself. "NO! I will not just hand over this school to her! I must do something!" Cheerful flipped open his trusty contact book and started looking for somepony to rescue him from his impossible situation.

—/—

The teachers were overjoyed to hear that Surprise, Firefly and Firecracker were out of the pranking business for the foreseeable future, and Surprise was recovering nicely from being at the wrong end of a runaway party-cannon. None of this would be any comfort to Fluttershy, as the next day she found herself in the middle of the school rumor mill.

"Did you hear? Fluttershy's already taken out the Trickster Queens!"

"You're pulling my leg! No, two of them! Right?"

"She's crushing students from day one!"

"I knew she wasn't messing around."

"The former Queens don't dare make a move against her will."

"She's crazy-scary, dude!"

In her corner, Fluttershy was full of confusion. My image is shaping up to be quite... spectacular, and not in a good way, she thought, almost in despair. I wonder what I did wrong.

END CHAPTER 1.


If there is a hell, I'm definitely headed there — to a special place in it just for me, for inflicting a face like Seiichirō Kitano's onto poor Fluttershy. Probably filled with Flutterages screaming "LOVE ME!!" into my ears for all eternity.

Oh well. Next up: Rainbow Dash.