• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,376 Views, 10 Comments

Space Oddity - Closer-To-The-Sun



Spike and the Cutie Mark Crusaders work together to build a spaceship. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
1
 10
 1,376

Chapter 3: Well Thought Out Twinkles

Chapter 3: Well Thought Out Twinkles

The young ponies along with the purple dragon all looked outwards of the front window of their ship. On each of their faces was amazement and wonder.

“Wow….it looks so….big….” Sweetie Belle’s eyes were wide, darting to the left and to the right, “the stars look very different up here.”

“So this is what space looks like….it’s so calm and peaceful….” Applebloom commented as she leaned on her console.

“And awesome!” the orange pegasus added as she jumped up and down in her seat.

Spike stood up out of his captain’s seat. He turned to look at each of the fillies and then proclaimed, “We did it, crew! We actually did it! We are the first ponies….and, er….dragon….to leave Equestria and venture into space! We’re making history here! Just look out there!” The purple dragon pointed outward into the black blanket of space.

All four of the youngsters ran up to the large window at the front of the bridge. They pressed their faces close to the glass to get a better view.

“Look, it’s Equestria!” Applebloom shouted, pointing at the green and blue marble floating among the black.

“It’s so small!” Scootaloo laughed.

Sweetie Belle, on the other hoof, was not as energetic as her friends, “Our home….it looks so….small.”

“It does look small, but look at the space just beyond it! Sweet Celestia, it’s full of stars!” Spike pointed just beyond their planet.

Scootaloo spoke up again, “Let’s go there, let’s go there!”

The earth pony raised an eyebrow, “There? Where’s there? Ya mean that one star right there?”

“No, no, I think she means the one over there, next to those smaller ones right over there,” the white unicorn pointed elsewhere.

“That’s not right! I mean the one right over there! Come on, how can you miss that star!” Scootaloo raised her voice.

“Hey, come on, don’t fight. We just got up here and we still have so much stuff to do and see!” Spike interrupted the fighting and shouting amongst the ponies, “I mean thin,k about it, we are up in space. Right now, we are doing something other ponies can only dream about doing. While others are dreaming of flight or going faster in the skies, we are up here floating in our tin can, far above the moon. We have to make the most of this awesomeness. You girls ready to make this the most awesome space flight in the history of pony….and dragon….kind?”

Spike’s rallying speech excited the girls, who cheered and agreed in unison.

The dragon nodded with a smile on his face, “Right! Crew, to your stations!” Spike ordered as he rushed back to his chair.

The ponies followed their captain’s orders. Once she sat down, the orange pegasus called out, “Awaiting your orders, sir! Where to?”

The dragon sunk into his seat. He looked out the front window and pointed forward, “Second star to the right, and straight on till morning!”

“Coordinates set, sir!” Scootaloo replied from her post.

“All systems functioning perfectly,” the unicorn spoke up.

“Engines at maximum output, captain!” Applebloom stated to Spike.

Spike nodded and looked forward, “Excellent. Scootaloo, engage!”

With a single, fluid motion, Scootaloo pushed a lever away from her. The rocket engines came to life with a whir. Within a blink of an eye the rocket took off and left the crew’s home planet behind.