• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 1,375 Views, 10 Comments

Space Oddity - Closer-To-The-Sun



Spike and the Cutie Mark Crusaders work together to build a spaceship. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
1
 10
 1,375

Chapter 1: Rocket

Chapter 1: Rocket

Along a dirt path just on the outskirts of Ponyville, a small purple and green dragon walked along pulling a wagon. Inside the wagon was a pile of books. These heavy, hardcovered books were under the protection of the diligent and ever faithful companion to Twilight Sparkle. After being set to the wrong address in the next town over, Coltland, it was up to Spike to go on an errand to gather them for the librarian of Ponyville. Despite being an inconvenience for him, Spike didn’t mind too much. The weather was pleasant and he was actually happy he got a chance to get outside. The blue sky was a bold blue, welcoming any and all who wished to be adventurous.

As he continued down the path, Spike heard a clash of familiar voices not too far from him.

“That’s not where you should put the window!”

“Well, where else would ah put it? We need ta see out of the front, right?”

“Hey girls? What does ‘fragile’ mean?”

“I think that’s what we need for rocket fuel.”

“Ah thought that was a fancy word fer breathin’ air.”

“Should it sound like it’s broken?”

The voices continued to talk amongst themselves as Spike ventured closer. He pulled the wagon with him to a small clearing amongst the bushes where he found the source of the commotion: the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Behind the three fillies was a fairly large rectangular, cardboard box lying on the ground length-wise.

“Ah’m tellin’ ya, we’re gonna need an engine fer this thing,” Applebloom explained, pointing at one of the ends of the box.

Scootaloo was quick to reply, “Is an engine really that important for a rocket?”

With a paint brush in her mouth, Sweetie Belle interrupted, “Can I paint it now?”

The earth pony and pegasus replied in unison, “Not yet!”

Finally seeing an opportunity to interject, Spike spoke, “Hey, what are you ponies doing?”

Noticing Spike, the ponies were surprised to see the small dragon.

“Oh, Spike! Didn’t see you there,” Sweetie Belle was the first to speak, welcoming the reptile.

The dragon pointed at the box, “What is that you’re working on?”

“Oh, that?” Applebloom turned to take a glance at their work, “It’s a….”

Scootaloo interrupted her friend, “It’s a spaceship!”

“Well,” the yellow filly resumed, “ah was gonna say rocket ship, but yeah, we’re makin’ a spaceship.”

Spike stared at the young ponies in both confusion and disbelief, “You’re doing what now?”

“We’re making a spaceship and gonna launch it right up into the sky! We’ll fly up into the sky and look at the stars….and fly up beyond the moon…..and zoom in close to the sun and….and….stuff!” Scootaloo’s rambling was excited, full of energy, and eager for her goal.

Sweetie Belle continued her friend’s statement, “And we are hoping to get our cutie marks while we're at it! Space travel cutie marks!”

“Are you kidding me? You girls plan to fly up into the sky with that box? What a piece of junk,” Spike again pointed to the box behind the fillies.

All four examined the box. Upon a closer look, the large cardboard box had obviously seen better days. The box looked as if Applebloom’s sister bucked the one of the ends and bucked a couple holes in the side. A few water stains were also apparent on a few places. But as well as structure damage, there was also cosmetic damage. It looked like the young ponies made a futile attempt to "fix" the box's flaws by drawing on it with crayons. It also seemed that the top of the box could not stay closed without the help of tape.

“What’s wrong our box?” the red maned pony asked.

“For starters, it looks as if you found it in a junkyard,” the dragon stated.

“But we did find it in a junkyard,” Sweetie Belle explained, with the rest of the crusaders nodding to her statement.

Spike looked at the box. He squinted at it. He raised his claws up, extending his fingers to frame the box. His tongue stuck out as he did his. Finally, he bursted out, “A-ha! I got it!”

“Got what?” Scootaloo asked, tilting her head.

“I know how to make your box here a grade-A rocket ship, fit for Princess Luna herself!” the dragon proclaimed with pride.

“Really?” all three fillies stared at Spike, eagerly awaiting confirmation.

“Totally! Just take me to that junkyard and we can totally make this an into awesome rocket!” Spike walked up to the box, patting it with his claw twice.

“Then….” Sweetie Belle looked toward the other crusaders, smiling widely.

“….that means….” Applebloom continued with stars in her eyes.

“….we get to go to space!” Scootaloo elatedly bounced up and down.

Spike shared in their enthusiasm, “Then what are we waiting for? To the junkyard!”