• Published 17th Feb 2012
  • 545 Views, 4 Comments

Masquerade - GiddyOnUp



Solstice Skie has gotten her dream of being in the royal guard, but soon she'll wish she never had.

  • ...
 4
 545

Step One

Masquerade-Step One

It was a sunny day, and all throughout Equestria happiness bloomed! Sometimes I wish it was like that, but no. My story, by all means, starts with anything but a gorgeous morning with pretty little flowers and ponies sipping rainbow juice. Now I want to apologize ahead of time for the run-of-the-mill feeling my story actually starts off with. But please read on, it'll be worth it. I mean, if you dare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slow and steady turrets of rain slicked the pavements and rooftops of the esteemed Canterlot. Lightning crackled from the bruised clouds overhead, and lit the sky with dark flashes of ivory and daisy. Near the south edge of Canterlot the houses weren't as, well, wealthy. Shambled roofs or lopsided foundations, and dead grass in parks or rusty benches could be easily spotted. The pastel color scheme that covered most of the city still remained, but in the torrential downpour you couldn't tell the poor neighborhoods from those well-off. All lights except a handful were quieted, and one window in particular shined brighter than the others. Inside the odd mint-green lighting was a young pegasus.

"Well I couldn't do that either." She whispered to herself, brow furrowing in agitation. She was seated at a wooden table, the legs uneven and the surface slightly cracked. The pony was hunched over an old scroll, the yellowing paper marked in oily black. It was a detailed map of Canterlot Castle, decorated in red slashes and unsuccesful attempts to draw out paths.

The pegasus fluttered her wings and lifted slowly from her chair, making it topple over in the rapid process. "I can't get anything right!" She cried, dropping onto her rump. The pale green light from the old lamp dangling on the ceiling eerily illuminated her white pelt, which was now a slate grey from the lack of being washed. Her mane and tail were a matching shade of neon magenta, but the sport-cut hair was tangled and messy from brushing deprevation. Her purple-blue eyes were dancing with tears that left clear streaks on her cheeks.

"You know what, screw it." she huffed, blowing a strand of hair from her face. The winged pony trotted to a small gap in the wall where the wallpaper had begun to peel, and flared her ivory wings in exhaustion and worry. For a while now she had been plotting to get into the Canterlot Castle, for that monumental building housed the quarters of Rumbling Storm- head of the royal guard. If she could just talk to him and show him her skill she would be guaranteed a spot on the force!

"But they'd never give me the chance." the pegasus grumbled to herself, infused optics scanning the ruined map from a far. She hesitated for a moment, wings humming before she landed on the ground again. Solstice tugged on a brass chain hanging from the ceiling, clicking the sickly green light off. In utter frustration the weather mare gave the wall a powerful kick, causing more of the beige wallpaper to crumble onto the creaky flooring. She walked slowly through the doorway and threw herself onto the bed, sending a puff of dust up from under the broken springs. "Wow." she mumbled, realizing that she hadn't slept for 3 days. That must've really made the bed sad. Poor bed.

"Poor me." Solstice Skie voiced her thoughts, turning onto her side. She watched in quiet dispair as the crystalline raindrops raced down her window, sparkling briefly in reflection of the vibrant lightning strikes. The furious thunderstorm still raged on, never ceasing its merciless fire. This pony, in particular, should be out in the storm right now- stopping the rogue clouds from bearing down any longer. She was Canterlot Weather Captain after all.

"Nah." the ruddy pegasus silenced the nagging thought, contempt to keeping gazing out the foggy window. She had devised a plan, consisting of five steps, that would surely get her on the team. She shut her eyes in concentration, letting the list float in her mind.

STEP ONE: Find a way to get into Canterlot Castle...

STEP TWO: Succesfully get in Canterlot Castle...

STEP THREE: Find Rumbling Storm...

STEP FOUR: Show him your skills...

STEP FIVE: Make it...

Solstice sighed, blinking her strangely beautiful eyes open and gasping sharply. It was already morning! She had fallen asleep, let exhaustion get the best of her. So much for working on the map again. She got up from her dusty bed and heavily flopped onto the floor. All that night could've been dedicated to marking out the perfect path. That was why she'd made all those clouds in the first place! She sighed, lowering her head between her shoulders. Now she'd have to go out and face her team and all of Canterlot, including the Princesses and Rumbling Storm, to explain why she didn't stop the rainfall last night.

She groggily made her way through the hole and into her bathroom, taking the liberty to examine herself. "Sweet Celestia." she breathed, studying her disheveled reflection. The pegasus picked up her brush and, with careful effort, brushed her neon mane clean. It fell in silky waves onto her still smoky pelt. She tentatively stepped into the never-used shower and used her jaws to turn the squeaky knob. A cold rush of water met her. Solstice squeaked, suprised at the rush of near frozen liquid that ran over her pelt. Dirt clouded at her hooves, muddying slightly with the combined water. She snapped her wings shut, and took a deep inhaling breath before plunging her head under the faucet to get her mane wet, then the other end to get her tail wet. Another squeak as Solstice Skie forced herself to pry open her wings and let the water drip past her oily feathers.

When it was time to step out, Solstice eagerly twisted the knob until the water went dormant, and skillfully wrapped her mess of pink mane into a towel that perched upon her skull. "Ooohh Solly, need some help?" chimed a familiar voice.

Well yes of course it was familiar, but not expected. The pegasus jumped, sending the towel sliding over her line of vision. "Hematite? Why are you here?" she asked, her voice tiny and frightened. She coughed to clear her throat though, and straightened up with a low laugh. "And how did you get into my house?"

"Too many questions, not enough time." a glittering black aura lit around the towel, and Solstice Skie could clearly see her friend in front of her.

"Let me take care of that." the unicorn offered lightly, her tone gentle and sincere. The winged pony gave herself a rough shake and stepped in front of the mirror, allowing the other pony to use her magic to leviate the brush and comb her friend's mane and tail. Hematite was a lovely equine, with her always glossy grey coat and slightly curly tricolor mane. Her eyes were a deep ebony that faded to a white near the bottom, making them look large and attentative. Her cutie mark was a white book with a black quill, matching her color scheme and passion. Hematite was the assistant librarian to Inkwell, manager of the Canterlot Library and Secretary to Princess Luna. Solstice was the one who schemed until Mati got the esteemed position, though the unicorn was very willing to take the job.

"Now I'm ready to go out and face a mob." the Weather Captain mused brightly, a fake smile lifting her countenance. She once again studied herself in the cracked mirror. Her neon magenta locks now fell smoothly into their regular sport-cut, and her coat was once again cream-colored. She blinked her eyes a few times at her reflection, and just stared at the ground. She'd lose her job for sure, and then be kicked out of Canterlot. Or be thrown in a dungeon!

"Listen Sol, don't get down on yourself." Hematite winked, trotting out of the room and leading the way toward the old door in the front room. "Oh and to answer your questions: Number 1, yes my name is Hematite. Number 2, I'm here to help you. I knew you've been locked in your house for around 3 days now. Number 3, magic dearie." she drawled, using her aura to open the door and slip outside with a dramatic 'ta-ta'.

The pegasus pony could only hear her own rapid breath in the grimy bathroom. She'd have to go out there and face a whole crowd of angry ponies, which would have a terrible outcome at best. So she summed up all her courage, puffed out her chest, and flew smoothly over to the door. She thrust open the rickety barrier, and saw at least twenty ponies glaring up at her. The crowd was silent, their eyes challening her. All colors, all types, rich or poor. They had all come to complain to her. But Celestia or Rumbling Storm were nowhere to be found, and her spirits rose slightly. "Sorrycomeagain." she rushed, grabbing Hematite and dissapearing back inside her house. Just as the door shut the angry shouts and nasty taunts of the mob could be heard.

"WHAT WAS THAT FOR? You're supposed to confront them!" the unicorn shouted, stomping her hoof down with her brow furrowed. "So what that you're lazy. But a job is a job and it HAS TO BE DONE!" her voice rose once again, and Hematite turned away from Solstice. "I'm not speaking to you." she whispered, her voice filled with such venom that the pegasus winced. Just a moment ago their friendship had been perfect, but now there was a new dent.

But that dent would have to wait to be repaired. As long as the tyrant sun goddess or super important stallion weren't there, she could finish Step One. That way, when nightfall came and everyone was fixing up the storm damage, she could execute Step Two. Solstice Skie just sighed and trotted hastily over to her 'work' desk, trying to mute the furious sounds of the crowd just outside her door. She was once again hunched over her old map that she had 'borrowed' from the library, marking the halls and passageways with red wax in mouth. 1...2...3... That's it!

"AHA!" The pegasus triumphantly bellowed, holding up the map for Hematite to see. Her grayscale friend just looked over her shoulder, eyes only slightly open, as she used her magic to levitate the old paper in front of her face. She was still turned tail on Solstice though, facing the door. It wasn't for long, because as the ever impatient mob grew increasingly agitated- and they had built up the pony-power to bust the old door down. Hematite leaped into the corner with a dainty scream, and quickly filed the paper behind her and out of sight.

Solstice, on the other hoof, stood there patiently and bravely- awaiting the next move of her massive foe. "Listen everypony, I'll get the storm cleared up." she promised. "Me and the weather team-"

"The weather team and who?" All the ponies bowed, giving way to Princess Celestia. The royal goddess strode in, look defiant. Her pastel mane frothed and twisted at her side, forming in one perfect curl under her ear. The golden crown atop her cranium and overly polished plates were gleaming in contrast to the flowing mess, and her white coat was groomed perfectly as well. She flared her wings and a light green glow appeared at the base of her horn, sparking up until it reached the top. Solstice Skie was levitated up, and she curled up into a ball; being held in front of the mare's face. "Solstice Skie, I am terribly dissapointed." the alicorn's regal voice echoed off the paper-thin walls of the depressing house. The magic ceased with the aura, and the pegasus was gently laid down to stand at Celestia's hooves.

"Princess, I'm very sorry. You see I've been sick these past few days, and haven't had the time to hold the weather meeting. I would've been out there to stop the storm, but my condition kept me at home." she quickly lied, deeply bowing her head in usch exaggeration that it hurt.

"I know, my little pony. But a circumstance like this is not something we can just wave away, and so you will be punished." Princess Celestia nodded, her expression mad yet her voice strangely placid.

"I would accept anything as my punishment." Solstice stepped up to the challenge, coming up from her painful position. Her amythest-sapphire gaze was sincere. Any kindess and show of good charecter would hopefully weigh the odds in her favor, though knowing the tyrant, she might be sent to the moon. Almost definetly.

"I would like you to stay with me in the castle for a whole month. By doing royal duties I hope you can learn a little bit of discipline." The sun goddess stated, lifting her head slightly with a defying glint deep in her heavily lashed eyes. "Your co-captain, Little Lightning, will take over while your gone."

Solstice could barely muster her excitment. She would be staying in the castle! And with Little Lightning taking over, she could focus on the plan. She would do her royal duties, of course, but all spare time would be devoted to Step Two. After all, Step One was complete. She side-glanced at Hematite, and was suprised to see her friend smiling brightly. She just nodded, and the Princess led out the defeated crowd with a few instructions. Hematite and Solstice were left alone, and the unicorn moved to the pegasi's side. Without a word she set the map on her back with her quietly powerful magic, and faced her friend before walking out.

"If you need help with the plan, you know where to find me." the unicorn turned over her shoulder before fully dissapearing around the corner. "And welcome to the castle."