• Published 28th Jun 2013
  • 1,104 Views, 31 Comments

Who's Afraid of a Rainbow? - Root Strider



I thought moving to Ponyville would be easy. I'd camp in the Everfree and work up to moving in.to the town. That all changed when I met six mares, one of which had a rainbow-colored mane. It's not her fault I'm afraid of rainbows, is i

  • ...
1
 31
 1,104

Ch. 3 Nightmares and Memories

Root Strider found himself flying through the air; a foal again. He gave a small smile as he hurtled towards a large tree limb. As he connected, his horn gave a flash of lavender and the branch bent, catching him softly, before slinging him high into the air again.

A laugh escaped from his lips as he was catapulted from tree to tree. He was flying, or the closest thing to it as he was concerned. He knew these trees; they were his friends when he was lonely as a foal. He had had this dream before, and in a few seconds his mom would call out for him.

“Leaf Jumper, Honey!” A worried voice called out, “Be careful up there, and don’t exhaust yourself, you still have to take the entrance exam later today.”

Her voice was as sweet as he remembered, but a feeling of dread crept up his spine as he yelled back, “I know Mom, I’ll be down soon!” His words were hollow, like an actor, and not a good one. He was no longer in control of his body as he was slung towards the tallest oak tree in the small woods.

He screamed in his mind to get on the ground, or to at least close his eyes. As it always happened, his eyes were drawn upwards; towards an approaching wave of colors, and the shockwave that made his magic flare up. The large tree bent without him in it, and rocketed towards him.

A blinding flash, a young colt’s scream, unbearable pain, and a rainbow…