• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 2,859 Views, 86 Comments

Love Them While You Still Have Them - FictionFreek



Rainbow Dash was given the worst possible news she could ever hear. Her friends want to help her through this, but first they need to get her to open up to them.

  • ...
4
 86
 2,859

Chapter 4

Fluttershy sat on her sofa, she had spent the day trying to get Rainbow to open up again, but she couldn’t even get her to open the door. The sun had gone and the moon had taken its place for the night. Fluttershy sat frustrated on her sofa, her head resting on her hoof as she thought to herself. That afternoon while she was watching Rainbow sleep, she heard her friend sleep talking while having a nightmare. She had tried to ask Rainbow Dash about what her nightmare was about, but she denied having one.

Fluttershy had two weeks to find a way to get Rainbow Dash to admit she was hurting or Twilight would have to take action. Fluttershy knew that it was all in good intentions, but she didn’t want to force Rainbow Dash into something that would only make her angrier than she is now. But at the moment it was looking like it would be a possibility, Rainbow Dash was by far the most-hard headed pony Fluttershy’s ever known.

“Not that it’s her fault; Rainbow has always tried to keep up her image around everypony.” Fluttershy said to Angel who was sleeping on the sofa. “Especially around bullies,” Rainbow Dash’s nick name was due to her attempting stuns her body wasn’t ready to perform. Most of her attempts to attempt a stunt would end up with her crashing into something which earned her the title of ‘Rainbow Crash’ in fly school. Bumps, scratches, and bruises, things most fillies would try to avoid getting, but Rainbow always wore them as badges of honor. Rainbow’s whole life revolved around being the toughest pony around. And to hold such a title, Rainbow Dash never let anypony know she was hurting.

“Only a hoof full of ponies that would know when something was bothering her.” Fluttershy continued even though nopony was listening. “Like the time that teacher got a little too ‘friendly’” Fluttershy said with a little venom in her voice. The problem was discovered before it turned too serious. But that didn’t stop Rainbow’s dad from giving the teacher his two bits before he was arrested. Getting up from her sofa carefully as to not wake Angel, Fluttershy walked up to the picture she had over her fireplace. The picture was taken several years ago; on it was Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy when they were still fillies. Behind them stood two large adult ponies, all four had a smile on their faces.

“You figured out something was wrong even before I did.” said Fluttershy as she placed her hoof over one of the adult ponies in the picture. “I wonder what you would do.” she said to the picture, though she knew she wouldn’t get an answer. Fluttershy let out a yawn, it was late, and she needed to get as much rest as she could to try with Rainbow Dash again in the morning.


“You said that you were going to retire, why are you going back!?” two ponies stood alone in a room, one was rather bigger than the other.

“I know I promised that, but things have gotten a little heated. The team needs somepony they can trust to lead them, nopony else is ready to take the responsibility.” said the older pony.

“You’ve already served more time than any other captain has, just give the title to somepony else!” protested the younger pony.

“It’s not that easy, I can’t do that unless somepony fills the qualifications to handle the title. Listen, I know this means I’m going to miss the competition but—“

“This has nothing to do with that!” the younger pony yelled cutting off the older one. “Do you know how it feels, to not know if you’re okay or not when you’re out there!?” the older pony didn’t answer at first.

“You know I write to you when I can…”

“Yes, once a month at least, but you have no idea how scared I get when I receive an official letter from the Royal Guard.” the younger pony had begun to cry. “I don’t want to read a letter from you, I want to be able to see you, I want to be able to visit you and know that you’re okay…” the younger pony hung her head.

“I—“ the older ponies word were silence but the sounds of loud banging. The area around both ponies began to dissolve; eventually even the older pony vanished leaving the younger one in a black void. The younger pony looked around in confusion, it didn’t seem real to her anymore.

“T-this is a dream…” and with that, she awoke.


“Gyah!” Rainbow awoke when the banging continued. She had thought she dreamt it, but now that she was awake, she could hear it coming from her door. Rainbow groaned as she ran her foreleg across her face. She had been crying in her sleep again, it was starting to annoy her. Rainbow looked over at her clock; it was seven in the morning.

“Oh for the love of…” Rainbow kicked off her sheets and hopped out of bed. She made sure to clean her face first before going to the door. She stood at her door and waited to see if the knocking would continue. Rainbow waited almost half a minute before the knocking continued, this time it was louder than before. It may have been due to her nightmares causing her to lose several hours of relaxing sleep. But Rainbow had awoken particularly agitated that morning. Without thinking, Rainbow Dash reached for the door nod with a scowl on her face.

“Stop checking up on me!” yelled Rainbow Dash as soon as she opened the door.

“Well, and here I thought I was entitled to check on you every now and then.” the pony standing in front of Rainbow’s door wasn’t Fluttershy, no this Pegasus was older. Her mane style had a striking resemblance to Rainbows, only it was blue. In fact, the mare looked like an older version of the cyan Pegasus only with a different colorization. Blue mane, pink fur, and her cutie mark were of two blue lightning bolts.

“Mom!?” Rainbow said with a combination of being surprised to see her mom at her door, and embarrassed because she just yelled at her own mother. “I-I’m sorry, I thought you were somepony else…!” Rainbow said staggering.

“It’s okay, sweetie, I’m sure you weren’t expecting me to visit today” said Rainbow’s mom as she nuzzled her daughter before stepping in. “So, who exactly is it that’s got you so miffed?” she asked as Rainbow Dash closed the door.

“It’s nothing, just somepony that won’t take a hint…” Rainbow shrugged as she walked up to her mother. Rainbow’s mother stared at her for a second, the cyan Pegasus knew she was reading her like a book, she could always do that. “So, I take it you already know?” Rainbow’s mother looked away for a moment; she took a deep breath and nodded.

“Yeah, I found out yesterday. I took the next train I could just arrived not too long ago.” said Rainbow’s mother as she walked up to her. “So, are you okay?” she asked as she placed her hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder.

“Y-yeah, I mean, I’m sad about it…but I can handle it…” said Rainbow as she put up a brave face. Rainbow’s mother looked at her intently, but she still held her face strong to prove she was fine.

“Are you sure, you look like you haven’t been getting any sleep.” Rainbow panicked for a moment, she searched for every possible answer she could think of.

“O-oh, I’ve been up late reading the Daring Do books, once I pick them up they’re hard to put down.” she said rubbing the back of her head. Rainbow’s mother raised a brow; it looked as though she saw through her again.

“You’ve really need to be more responsible with your sleeping habits.” Rainbow’s mom said with a sigh.

“Right, I’ll try.” Rainbow said with a small chuckle. “So, are you staying for a few days, I can pull out the guest bed.” She added right after.

“I’m only here for today sadly, I need to head to Canterlot for the…arrangements” Rainbow was about to ask what her mother what he mother meant, but she figured it out quickly.

“Oh, right.”

“And there are a few things I need take care of while I’m here, but listen, how about this afternoon we go out to dinner and catch up?” Rainbow’s mother asked her.

“Yeah, that sounds cool.”

“Good, well, I should get going.” Rainbow’s mother said as she moved towards the door. “Sweetie, you know you can tell me if anything is bothering you, right?” Rainbow’s mother said when she stopped at the door.

“I know mom, but seriously, I’m fine.” Rainbow assured her. Rainbow’s mother looked at her one last time before giving her a smile.

“Okay, I’ll be back this afternoon.” Rainbow gave her mother a nod before she took off for Ponyville.

“Now if only Fluttershy would understand like that…” Rainbow said to herself as she closed the door. If she was right, her meek Pegasus friend would arrive soon to check on her again. Until then, she decided to try to get back to sleep; a few more hours could probably put her in a good enough mood not to snap again.

Rainbow’s mother touched down in Ponyville, she looked back towards the direction where Rainbow Dash built her cloud home and a frown spread on her face. Rainbow was good at wearing a mask around other ponies; she could fool anypony from knowing if she felt scared, nervous, or any other emotions she wouldn’t admit to be feeling. But she couldn’t fool her own mother, she could see through any mask her daughter tried to put on. Rainbow’s mother let out another sight before catching the attention of one of the ponies passing by.

“Excuse me, but can I get directions?”


Fluttershy had been up for almost an hour now; she was just about finished up with feeding the animals around her cottage. Most ponies would have gone crazy trying to remember who to feed what and how much, but for Fluttershy it has been second nature. The had gotten up a little earlier than she usually does, she wanted to be wide awake for when she flew over to Rainbow Dash’s cloud home. Though she was sure she’d spend several hours sitting at the door trying to get Rainbow to talk to her.

“And here’s your salad Angel.” said Fluttershy as she placed the bowl down on the floor for her rabbit to eat. With that, she was finished for the next couple hours, but it was still too early to head over, she imagined that Rainbow Dash would still be asleep. She just needed to wait a few hours, and knowing that Rainbow wouldn’t be going to work, she wasn’t sure how long the Pegasus would sleep.

Knowing she needed to pass the time, Fluttershy decided to make some tea while planning how she would try to talk to Rainbow Dash today. “Maybe I should try indirectly, get her to talk about something else and then try to move the topic back to her father?” Fluttershy questioned. It was clear that her approach wasn’t working, and a direct one wasn’t an option for her. She’d need to be as strong as Applejack in order to keep Rainbow in one place.

Knock Knock Knock

Fluttershy had just put the tea-pot on the stove when she heard the knocking. She wasn’t expecting anypony this early, she wondered if it was Applejack, but hopped that it could have been Rainbow Dash. She got her answer when she opened the door, and a smile grew on her face.

“Mrs. Firefly!” said Fluttershy as she gave Rainbow’s mother a warm hug.

“It’s good to see you too, sweetie.” said Firefly as she returned the hug. “I haven’t seen you in years, look at you, you’re the spitting image of your mother.” Fluttershy took the compliment to heart and blushed lightly.

“I’m sorry I don’t visit you very often, I can’t take too many days off because of my animal friends.”

“I understand; they depend on you.” a loud whistling rang through the air; Fluttershy forgot that she had left the tea to boil.

“Oh, the tea.” said Fluttershy as she ran back into the kitchen turning down the flame and moving the pot. “Would you like some?”

“Sure!” Firefly yelled from the living room. Fluttershy grabbed the pot by the handle with her teeth and grabbed two cups with her wings before she walked back to the living room. Firefly had already sat down at the table waiting patiently for Fluttershy to return. Fluttershy placed the cups on the table then poured the tea for both of them before putting the pot down.

“I hope you like it.” Firefly cooled off her tea before taking a sip.

“Mmm, this is amazing!” she said with a smile. Fluttershy was glad that she liked it, the two drank from their cups in a comfortable silence, once their cups were empty, Fluttershy spoke.

“So, are you here to visit Rainbow Dash?”

“I already have.” Firefly said with a frown. “She hides it well, but I know she’s hurting.” she continued. Fluttershy already knew that much and she knew that Rainbow Dash would never admit it.

“She’s been having nightmares, but she won’t tell me what they are about.” Firefly looked up at Fluttershy, that part she didn’t know. “But now that you’re here, we can work together to help her!” getting Rainbow the help she needs looked easier now, who better to help Fluttershy than Rainbow’s own mother. It was a positive thought, but Firefly didn’t look as convinced as Fluttershy did.

“Fluttershy, be honest with me.” Fluttershy tilted her head at Firefly “Was I a bad mother?” Fluttershy was completely stunned by this, and somewhat angry.

“No!” Fluttershy yelled as she slammed her hooves on the table. “You were a great mother, and still are, don’t ever think otherwise!” Fluttershy stared at Firefly; it looked like she was ready to attack. A few seconds passed and Fluttershy realized what she had just done. “I-I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me…” said Fluttershy as she sat back down. Firefly wasn’t hurt, just surprised to see Fluttershy be so forward, it was a rare sight.

“It’s okay, I’m glad you think that.” Firefly said with a smile. “It’s just, why can’t I get my own daughter to open up to me, it was something I could never get her to do.” Firefly’s bottom lip began to quiver “I often thought it was because she doesn’t trust me enough.” Rainbow’s relationship with her parents varied between the two. With her father she was always ‘Daddy’s little girl’ she would always talk to him about anything that was bothering her, embarrassing or not. But with her mother, she would always treat her like one of the girl, they’d joke, they’d laugh, but Rainbow would never tell her anything personal.

“Of course she trusts you, it’s just, how do I put this…?” Fluttershy wasn’t sure how to describe it. “When we were growing up, Rainbow would always talk about how cool you were, about how lucky she was to have a cool mom. You’re strong and independent, and she wanted to be just like you, somepony that wouldn’t falter to anything. And whenever she’s around you, she just feels that she needs to hold tight to that image. She wants to show you that made her who she is today, a mare who tackled the world and came out on top. Why else do you think she pushed herself to be captain of the weather team?” Firefly is the current captain of the manehattan, a position she worked hard to get.

She remembers the day she found out that Rainbow had gotten the same position in Ponyville, and in less time no less. She was so proud of her, but at the time she didn’t think that her daughter did it to be like her.

“You’re an inspiration to her, never forget that.” Firefly began to cry, but not from sorrow, only pride.

“Thank you Fluttershy, I needed that.” she said as she gave Fluttershy another hug. The hug lasted a few more minutes before the two let go. “It’s been nice seeing you again, but I need to take care of a few things before I leave for Canterlot tomorrow.

“Oh, leaving so soon?”

“I wish I could stay, but I need to make the arrangements for the funeral.” said Firefly as she whipped the tears from her eyes. “Oh my, I was so busy self-loathing that I never asked, how did you take the new when you found out?”

“It hit me hard, but as much as I wanted to cry…I felt that I couldn’t. I knew that however bad it felt for me, it would be worse for Rainbow, so, I had to be strong, for her.” Firefly smiled.

“You’re a stronger mare than you think, Fluttershy.”

“I have both you and him to thank for that.” Fluttershy said as she nuzzled Firefly lightly. Both said their final farewells, Firefly convinced Fluttershy not to check on Rainbow Dash for the day and that she’d and Rainbow were going to eat out later. Fluttershy was reluctant at first, but Firefly convinced her that Rainbow would be fine. When Firefly left, Fluttershy found herself drawn to the picture she had over her fire-place. She thought back to why that picture meant so much to her, and remembered everything Rainbow and her parents have done for her. And that’s when it hit her; she knew how she would get through to Rainbow Dash.

“I’m not giving up Rainbow, tomorrow I’m going to get through to you; I know it.” Fluttershy said with confidence as she stared at the picture of Rainbow Dash when she was a filly. She could only hope that it could work.

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank everyone who had enjoyed reading this Fimfiction, I never thought it would be rated so well. I has been an honor to know I could touch the hearts of the readers. More chapters to come.