• Published 16th Feb 2012
  • 429 Views, 5 Comments

Dark Renatus - Chaike



The future of Equestria is threatened by an unknown force. Scootaloo and her friends must stop it.

  • ...
 5
 429

Prologue

The sky was a very dark grey, muted by the clouds, and a somber wind blew through the dead trees. Normally there would be a group of pegasi clearing the skies and controlling the weather, but almost the entire race of the flying ponies were now dead. In fact, the entirety of the planet’s population had been wiped out. Destroyed by an unstoppable force. Only six equines had survived the onslaught, and now they were throwing themselves against the dark power in a final bitter attempt. As they walked along the rocky path, they noticed the growing number of ruined houses and corpses. The corpses were every shape and size. Fillies, colts, mares, and stallions all littered the streets. Some of the corpses even bore the royal symbol on their helms, the symbol that was given only to the best of the royal guards.

“They didn’t stand a chance,” An orange stallion broke the silence, “I’m sure each and every one of them met the same demise. Killed almost instantly.” The stallion’s green eyes continued to fall on the rotting corpses, wishing that they could rise again and help the group in their plight.

“If we had warned them, they might have been able to prepare a better defense,” A purple mare spoke from the back of the group, her blue mane matted down by sweat and rain, “But no, of course not! Why would we try to help all of ponykind? It’s not like the fate of the world depends on it.” The mare’s voice was filled with both bitterness and an edge of depression.

“We did what we could, Violet,“ A white pegasus chimed in to the conversation, “There was no way we could get word to the castle in time. It was a lost cause from the beginning.”

“A lost cause? You’re saying that you gave up before we even started? No wonder your race was destroyed first. You have no self respect, no confidence.” Violet smirked, hoping that her words had stung more than she expected.

“So, the truth finally comes out,” The pegasus stopped moving forward and instead landed in front of the mare, “I always knew you had it in for the pegasi. You put on that fake smile everyday, acting like you care about us. But deep down inside, you loath our entire race. Typical of an earth pony.”

The entire group stopped and turned towards the two bickering individuals. A sigh left the muzzle of the orange stallion, and he began to step towards the two.

“Listen, I know you both really dislike each other, but now is not the time to let that hatred take over you. This is the end of the world after all. We’re all that’s left,” The stallion stood between the two mares, “If we want to at least try to save the world, we have to work together.”

The two mares were silent for a few minutes. Both staring into each other’s eyes with a hatred that burned like hellfire. Finally, the Pegasus rose the air, and began flying the opposite direction.

“Cirrus, where do you think you’re going!?” The stallion called out to the Pegasus, “You know that we can’t do this without you!”

The Pegasus stopped mid-flight, and turned to face the group. “Y’know what Russet? Normally I would believe you, but after what’s happened recently, I’m positive that you’re wrong,” The white mare turned sharply and continued flying away, “I guess I’ll see you all on the other side.”

The stallion’s head drooped, and he pawed at the dirt, not knowing what to do next. Suddenly he was pushed aside, and almost fell face first onto the path. He looked up the hillside, and saw Violet walking away with her head held high.

“Come on you miserable excuses for ponies. Let’s just get this over with.”

Russet sighed, and joined the rest of the group, knowing that this was possibly their last adventure.