• Published 29th May 2013
  • 857 Views, 13 Comments

The Beginning - Newman2007



Four hundred years after the reign of the Regal Sisters, Twilight comes to power, but is haunted by her past. Can she and her daughter Aure protect Equestria from its fate?

  • ...
2
 13
 857

Chapter 3 - The Memory

"Mother? Are you alright?" Aure was staring at Twilight with a concerned face. Tears hung in the corners of her eyes. Twilight lifted her hoof to rub them away and put on a fake smile. She didn't want to worry Aure, especially not now. She had only just returned and she knew from the expression on her face that she had not been well the past few weeks. Still, Aure looked as beautiful as ever. This made Twilight chuckle.

"Yes dear. I'm alright." Twilight attempted to lift her exhausted body off of the cushions, but her legs were to wobbly to support her. She felt like a newborn foal trying to stand for the first time.

"Mother! Don't rush yourself!" The princess gasped as Twilight tried again to stand. This time, Aure bent underneath her mother to help her up. After a few minutes, Twilight was standing, but not on her own. Aure was positioned beside her.

"Thank you Aure," Twilight said as the two started to the door. They struggled across the room, but they managed. Just before reaching the familiar doors, Twilight was swept back into an intruding memory. She fell onto the marble floor and hit her head. H..help-p m...m..e, Twilight whispered barely audible. Her daughter's voice was drowned out by the sound of silence.

Tears flowed quickly down her cheeks. She was the angriest she had ever been. she had many friends, and yet she felt so alone. Celestia did not like her anymore and had abandoned her when she needed her most. She was still sitting on the floor of her bedroom replaying the scene in her head. The thought of Celestia twisted her stomach. Twilight wiped her puffy eyes and looked out the window. The moon was hanging high in the sky. The tree tops below glistened in the moonlight and the river was like a stream of diamonds. She could see as far as Ponyville. The quiet town seemed so far away now. Then there was the forest. Nopony ever dared enter it alone, especially at night. For Twilight, it seemed like the only place she could ever be alone. She lifted her body off of the marble floor and flexed her wings. She was still not used to them, but it didn't seem to bother her.

"Goodbye, Celestia" Twilight said with an angry tone. Then, she was gone.

The forest below was threatening, but for some reason, it seemed like the ideal place for Twilight. She swooped down underneath the canopy of the trees and landed on a broken dirt path. She swung her head around scanning the trees. Twilight did not want anyone to follow her. She decided to follow the path to see where it would take her. She did not run with fright; she walked with her head held low. The thought of being alone scared her, but at the same time made her feel more secure. She relaxed her wings so they almost touched the ground and allowed herself to cry once more. The forest was darker than night itself. No pony in their right mind would come in the forest, except for Princess Luna. Twilight shuddered. Luna was the reason that Celestia did not like her anymore. Whenever Celestia had a break from her busy life, she always spent it with her younger sister. Twilight stopped. Where was she going? She looked around and saw that she had reached a clearing. A gentle breeze sliced through the air and chills were thrown up Twilight's spine. Why is this place so familiar? Twilight wondered. Then, it hit her. The ruins of Nightmare Moon's castle was on the other side of the clearing. She looked behind her and saw the rope bridge.

"No..." Twilight breathed. She had too many memories here. Twilight needed to leave. Before she could even lift her hoof, a strange magical dark cloud flew into her, knocking her to the ground. Twilight screamed. She could not see nor could she move. The cloud engulfed her completely. The shrill laughter of absolute terror arose from deep within the cloud. It was the laughter of Nightmare Moon. Twilight screamed, but it was not out loud. The cloud had taken over her body. It slowly ate away Twilight's features, changing her into another being. The pony laid on the ground for a while resting herself from exhaustion. It slowly pushed itself off of the ground. The creature created stood taller than anypony. Twilight was held captive in the pony's mind, never to be seen again. After a while, the creature regained its balance and hobbled over to a small pool of water that rested aside of the ruins. Looking down at it's reflection, the creature saw that it had dark lavender coat, with a deep purple mane, that flowed swiftly in the gentle breeze. Its eyes were green that glowed in the darkness. It's soul was made of pure evil and jealousy. The creature was stronger and more powerful than Nightmare Moon would ever have become. It laughed and admired its new body.

"Oh it feels great to be back in the world!" The creature sneered and rejoiced in her new body.

"Oh and what do we have here?" It looked at its flank. There was a cutie mark. It was a pink star with tiny white one circling around it.

"It seems that I have taken over the most powerful pony of all, Twilight Sparkle! MUAHAHAHAHA!" The creature recollected herself but could not stop smiling. This time her plan would work.

"Watch out, Celestia. Your worst nightmare is back! But this time, I am in the form of your most precious student! Nothing can stop me now!" Her mane flared up and reached the sky, illuminating it. Nothing in Equestria was more powerful than her and the creature knew that. Nothing would be able to hold her back this time, especially since she held the element of magic captive. The clouds overhead circled in the sky. They were dark and threatening. The magic pulsed through them and sent flashes of light all throughout Equestria. Hundreds of miles away, Celestia was awoken by the bright lights. She lifted her head off of her pillow and stared out of the window. Barely awake, she realized that was happening because a similar thing happened to her sister a thousand years ago. But this time, it was more powerful.

"Twilight..."

"Queen Twilight? Your Majesty?!" She slowly opened her eyes. She was lying on her bed and was under her lilac sheets and elegant comforter. It was the most comfort she had felt in ages. Everypony who worked in the castle was huddled around her bed staring at her. Many had concerned faces, others were relieved to see her awake. It was an awkward silence for a while until the wooden doors were opened. Skyfall walked in with the royal doctor. They seemed to be discussing something very important because they did not yet notice that the queen had awoken. Aure followed the pair and immediately looked at her mother lying in the bed. A thin smile appeared and she broke away from Skyfall and the doctor. She practically galloped and flew onto the bed. The staff had noticed the princess and quickly backed away from the bed. They stood on either side and allowed the princess to get through. Skyfall looked over at the bed and shooed the staff away, telling them to basically go back to work. After they had all left, Skyfall walked over the bed. His dark grey coat shone in the evening sun and his short black mane and tail were scruffier than usual. He looked very tired and stressed. Twilight watched him approach, especially his eyes, which flickered away from her when they made eye contact. Does he still remember? Twilight thought. Her attention snapped back to her daughter. She was sitting on the end of the bed. Her smile had vanished and silent sobs were all that remained. Aure wiped the tears away and looked up at her mother. The room was silent, but it did not last very long.

"Mother?" Aure asked in a quiet calm voice with her back to Twilight. "Where were you?" Her coat was ruffled and needed a good comb through, but her mane was still elegant as ever. The question was difficult to answer. Twilight wasn't sure where to start. It was silent for a while before she answered. It is strange that he hasn't told her. He knows perfectly well where I was. Twilight could feel Skyfall's presence behind her, waiting to hear the story that he already knew. The doctor did not seem to notice the tension in the room and continued his work. So she told a different story, the story that started everything.

"In order for me to tell you that, I will need to start at the very beginning. It all started with my coronation,.."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait! Finals are this week, but then I'm on vacation and should be able the write for a while. Let me know if you guys like where this story is going so far. I am also open to suggestions!

Thanks! :)