• Published 21st May 2013
  • 1,000 Views, 40 Comments

A New Generation - QuiteNiceDynamite



Rainbow Dash and her dreams of becoming a Wonderbolt

  • ...
1
 40
 1,000

Solitude

"I, Captain Spitfire, hereby induct Rainbow Dash into the Wonderbolts!"

The crowd explodes into wild cheers and applause as the normally brash and confident blue shaded Pegasi with the rainbow-coloured mane trots out slowly onto the stage, unsure of what to think. The Pegasi Captain, Spitfire, beckons her to the centre of the stage, where a solitary microphone stands alongside the flame-haired Captain. Rainbow Dash looks out towards the crowd, and sees her friends cheering and smiling.

Rarity is bawling uncontrollably with happiness, as expected. The usually composed Applejack sheds a tear, the orange Earth pony tries to hide it, but she simply can't, she's too proud of her friend, she finally has what she has wanted for so long. Pinkie is bouncing around like the incredible imbecile she is, "just being Pinkie" Rainbow thinks to herself. Fluttershy and Twilight have a hoof around each others' shoulder, cheering along with the crowd, honouring the new Wonderbolt, their friend Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow hears the crowd chant,

"Speech! Speech!"

She looks confidently at the microphone, she'd planned a speech already and had memorised it just for this occasion. Spitfire beckons the new recruit again,

"Come on, Rainbow Dash!" she cheers excitedly, "you can't keep your admirers waiting!"

The light-blue Pegasi swoops towards the microphone and takes a few deep breaths, composing herself.
The crowd falls silent.
She starts to speak.


Rainbow Dash groans as she awakens, seeing the shelf full of Daring Do books on the wall, knowing that it had been just another dream.

"Damn it!" She exclaims, hitting a hoof forcefully into the bed.

Rainbow was mad at herself, this was the fourth night in a row that she had dreamed about her induction as a Wonderbolt. Four wonderful nights followed by four dreadful days when she realised that her dreams weren't real.

"I'll never become a Wonderbolt." She mumbles sadly to herself, her bottom lip trembling.

"Why do I even bother?" She questions herself as she slides out of bed.


Rainbow trots sadly downstairs into the kitchen and pours herself a bowl of cereal, thinking back to her dream. She knew it could never be true, her becoming a Wonderbolt. Due to either sudden lack of confidence or her own rejection of the methods of some Inductees, Rainbow always fell at the last hurdle before success.

"It's a stupid dream." She mutters, shoveling cereal into her mouth subconsciously, still pondering the events in her dream and her recent life.

It had been a bad few months for Rainbow Dash, not only because of her disappointing dreams coupled with little success in real life, but she had quickly found herself without any friends. It's not that they didn't care for her anymore, but they all had things to do in life.

Twilight became a Princess and she had been given six weeks to rule Trottingham in a kind of trial run to see whether she could rule a region of Equestria, and Rarity became a famous fashion designer. She had started a big collaboration with Hoity Toity and Sapphire Shores, so she had moved to Canterlot to work with her idols, where she was rapidly becoming famous. Fluttershy had gone with Zecora to the zebra's homeland to learn about the nature and animals there.
But Pinkie and Applejack had moved for family. One of Pinkie's sisters had fallen ill, so she had temporarily gone back to her family's rock farm to stay with her family and comfort her sister while she recovered. Finally, Appleack had moved to Appaloosa because her cousin Braeburn had been injured when an apple tree fell on him, so AJ had to take over the operations there.

Soon enough, Rainbow Dash was the only pony from that close-knit group of seemingly inseparable friends that was left in Ponyville.

None of the five mares wanted to leave any of their friends behind, but they all had to go, for one reason or another. They had all wished to meet up again at some point in the near future, but various events and issues complicated matters and kept them apart from each other. The first week had been fine, but by the second week, Rainbow was bored and depressed. Their separation was now into its fourth week, and she was almost at her breaking point.

"If I became a Wonderbolt my friends wouldn't even be here anyway." She muttered sadly, contemplating how lonely she had become now none of her friends were around her anymore. She rested her elbows on the table and held her head in her hooves. A lone tear fell from her eye into the half-full bowl. Rainbow pushed the bowl aside and cried into the table surface, her head resting against the wooden surface, unable to contain her emotions for her missing friends.

Suddenly, there was a loud, erratic knock at the door, which was followed by shouting,

"Rainbow Dash! Come quick!" Shouted the stallion outside.

Rainbow thought that she recognised the voice,

"Soarin?" Rainbow Dash wondered. "What's he doing here?"

Rainbow wiped away her tears and leaped from her chair, suddenly filled with adrenaline. When she opened the door, Soarin was stood there, his Wonderbolt uniform ripped in several places and his mane torn and wild. His eyes bulging in...fear?

"What is it Soarin? What's wrong?" Rainbow asked, trying to calm down the frightened Pegasi.

Soarin gasped, composing himself, trying to speak. Tears had started to roll down his face.

"It's Spitfire..." he gasped, "she's...she's..."

Rainbow Dash laid a hoof on the stallion's shoulder, this seemed to momentarily calm him.

"What is it?" Rainbow quietly asked back, desperately wanting an answer from the petrified Soarin.

The Wonderbolt whispered back,

"Spitfire...sh-...she's...

she's dead."