• Published 21st May 2013
  • 1,000 Views, 40 Comments

A New Generation - QuiteNiceDynamite



Rainbow Dash and her dreams of becoming a Wonderbolt

  • ...
1
 40
 1,000

Leaving a good impression

"On in one minute." Sapphire Shores yelled from backstage.

Rainbow Dash peered out from behind the curtain, thousands had appeared to watch her be announced as the Wonderbolts' Captain. Princess Celestia was giving her usual speech for whenever a new Captain was announced. Rainbow was getting nervous, she hadn't been this nervous many other times in her life.

"Rainbow, just stay confident, keep smiling, stick to your speech." Rarity suggested.

"It's hardly a speech." Rainbow admitted.

"Are you kidding? They're going to love you by the end of that speech. Just try and leave a good impression. Do what Spitfire would do, you're the Captain now, so just try and be like her." Rarity replied.

This was the first time Rainbow Dash had realised this. She had always looked up to Spitfire while she was the Wonderbolt Captain, and now she was the Captain. Did ponies idolise her as well?

"I just hope the dress works well." Rarity muttered.

"Don't worry, Rarity, it's excellent." Rainbow encouraged her friend.

Rarity had started to come into the public eye after her collaboration with Hoity Toity and Sapphire Shores. But if her dress ruined the Captain of the Wonderbolts' presentation, Rarity's reputation and career would be ruined.

"In five, four, three..." The voice rang out.

"Go on, get out there. Do me proud." Rarity yelled after her.


The lights dimmed.

The crowd cheered, but as the lights went out, they started to quieten down, waiting in anticipation.
Rainbow walked out onto the stage in the dark, nopony in the crowd could see her. But after a few seconds, Rarity's creation came into life.
Orange and bright blue beads on the dress sparked into life. The luminescent beads leaving small dots of illumination in the pitch black. Rainbow started to trot forward towards the centre of the stage at a slower pace. From the crowd, it seemed as if the dots were moving on their own, attached to the darkness.

Rainbow could hear the 'oohs' and 'aahs' from the crowd as she advanced. They liked the illuminations, but they hadn't seen her yet.

Princess Celestia announced to the crowd,
"Presenting, your new Captain of the Wonderbolts, Rainbow Dash!"

The beads on Rainbow's dress brightened to their highest illumination point as the lights came back on. The appearance of Rainbow was enough to send the crowd into raptures. Only a few weeks ago, Rainbow was nopony, but in the space of a few weeks she'd won the Derby and been promoted to Wonderbolt Captain. Suddenly she was the most popular and influential Pegasus in Equestria.

Rainbow walked towards the centre of the stage, where the microphone was resting on a console. The crowd wanted to hear from her. They needed to hear from her. They trusted and respected the normal Rainbow Dash, but how would a powerful Rainbow Dash act and behave?

"Thank you, thank you all." Rainbow said. She felt good, the crowd loved her and the dress, so Rarity's reputation was safe, maybe even improved.

The crowd fell silent as Rainbow started to address them.

"Wow. Just, wow. I can't believe this day has come, my wildest dreams had barely been this good. Only a few weeks ago, I was a nopony. Unfortunately, my friends had to leave me, and then we all lost Spitfire. I was at the bottom of the barrel, I honestly had nothing left to live for. But when Soarin put faith in me to compete at the Drby, my life changed. You all know the story, so I won't tell what happened next. But I think that we can all learn from this story.

Soarin put faith in me, an unknown weather pony ruined by depression, and now I stand here before you all as Captain of the Wonderbolts. This just shows that everypony has potential, and anypony can become successful. I'd just like to tell people to put faith in those they have never met before. Never judge a book by it's cover. Everypony deserves a good chance at life.

This is why I'll be personally overseeing Wonderbolt trials for every Pegasus in Equestria every week. I want every Pegasus in our great land to have the chance to become a Wonderbolt. Of course, many will be disappointed, but at least they had the chance. Too many ponies who had promise weren't given a fair chance. So I invite every Pegasus to come along for these trials, every Saturday and Sunday at the Wonderbolt base. You all deserve the chance at success I was given.

Moving on, I'd like to say thanks to many ponies today.
Firstly, I'd like to thank our Princesses." Rainbow announced.

The crowd cheered at the mention of their royalty.

"Our Excellencies have put their faith in me and allowed me to be the Captain of their Wonderbolts. I hope I do well for you all, I'll always do my best for our Princesses."

The crowd whooped, everypony loved a loyal celebrity who loved their royalty.

"Secondly, I'd like to thank Spitfire and the other Wonderbolts. They have all instilled confidence in me and wanted me to be my best. Since the day I met them, they have been kind to me and wanted me to do well. Thank you."

The crowd continued to cheer, hanging on Rainbow's every word.

"Thirdly, I'd like to thank my five closest friends. We've been separated for a long time, and it's felt awful not being with them. Only two of them could be here today. Firstly, Princess Twilight Sparkle needs no introduction." Rainbow pointed a hoof towards the timid Princess towards the back of the stage.

"Even though Twilight became a Princess, she never put herself above me or any other pony. She taught me to be modest and to trust in everypony else. Thank you, Twilight."

The crowd cheered, seeing Twilight as a more respectable pony and not like an arrogant character.

"And my second friend who is here today is my close friend who designed and made my beautiful dress you all enjoyed so much. Rarity, would you come out here." Rainbow ushered Rarity over, who was watching from the side of the stage.

The crowd cheered when Rarity appeared, she felt amazing. This was everything she wanted it to be, she was finally in the public eye, finally in the centre of attention.
Rainbow Dash pulled her blushing friend in close, resting a hoof on her shoulder.

"This pony here has taught me a great lesson in life, she taught me to always help those. They don't even have to need your help, but if you are generous and helpful to everypony, you'll always leave a good impression. Also, she's collaborating with Hoity Toity and Sapphire Shores in a fashion show, so wanna see this fashion designer becoming word-famous."

The crowd continued to cheer, clearly impressed by Rarity and her fashion skills.

"My other friends aren't here, but I'll quickly run through what they taught me.
Applejack taught me to be honest, it doesn't matter if a lie will be easier to take, you should always tell the truth to everypony.
Fluttershy taught me to be kind to all, as long as you are kind to everypony you talk to, they will be kind back to you.
And finally, Pinkie Pie told me to get out there and have some fun! Keep smiling!
If you stick to those five lessons on life, and remain loyal to your friends and fellow ponies, you will always go far in life."

The crowd continued to cheer Rainbow Dash, happy to see that they had yet another modest and popular Captain to lead the Wonderbolts.

"And finally, this time it really is finally. I'd like to thank all of you. The crowd here tonight, those sitting at home, all of you. You've all put your faith in me to lead the Wonderbolts. I'll do my best, for all of you. Thank you."

Rainbow Dash saluted the crowd and stepped away from the microphone, Princess Celestia stepped up to Rainbow Dash, she shot a sly wink at her,

"Well done." The Princess whispered.

Princess Celestia then addressed the crowd in a loud, bellowing voice,

"I hereby promote Rainbow Dash to the rank of Captain of the Wonderbolts!"

Huge cheers went up around the stadium, it wasn't often that a new Captain came around, especially one as professional as Rainbow Dash. The ponies of Equestria had been heartbroken when they found out that Spitfire had died, but now they had a new Captain that was equally as good as Spitfire. Rainbow started to tear up, the occasion getting to her, many ponies in the crowd cried as well, it was a great moment for the Wonderbolts. A great moment for all of Equestria.


Rainbow continued her amazing reign as Captain, she stayed true to her word. She oversaw two trial sessions every week for the next month. With many inductees who wouldn't have had a chance being taken into the Academy, Rainbow kept her promise and stayed loyal to the public. Her friends all came back, she couldn't see them as much as she used to be, being Captain of the Wonderbolts, but she spent most of he free time with them, catching up with them, making up for lost time.

Everything was going great for Rainbow Dash, not only did she have her friends back, but she was the most popular Pegasi in Equestria, and she was succeeding in her dream job. Everything was going fine until she entered her second month as Captain. That one day when she met someone she thought she'd never see again.


Rainbow Dash was trotting around the base while the trials were underway when a familiar voice caught her ear.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash, over here!" Yelled the voice.

Rainbow turned to see a pony she thought had moved out of her life. She'd heard that this pony had moved to Saddle Arabia years ago, but here she was, stood in front of her very eyes. This Pegasi had grown a lot since then, she was no longer another little filly, but she was in her teens now, almost the same height as Rainbow Dash.

"Did you miss me? Did you, did you?" The orange coated Pegasi asked.

Rainbow Dash looked like she'd seen a ghost. She finally broke the silence, whispering her name,

"Scootaloo?"