• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 1,159 Views, 17 Comments

Animal Passion - briantherat



A new arrival to Ponyville finds himself drawn to a particular timid yellow pony

  • ...
1
 17
 1,159

Truly madly deeply

It must have been early morning still...

Blue's eyes opened and he looked around the room he was in - the spare room in Fluttershy's cottage that he'd been staying in for the past few days while his injuries healed. He heard movement in the room, but this was nothing strange; all manner of forest creatures had the run of the Pegasus pony's home all all times. But suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a shadowy figure approaching the bed. He turned and saw Fluttershy standing a few feet away, her blue eyes flickering in the light of the single candle that illuminated the room in a soft orange glow.

"I'm...sorry if I woke you, Blue." she whispered, softly. "I was just having trouble sleeping, and I thought that maybe...um...you might be awake too."

He smiled at her gentle face and replied, "Well, I am now."

"I'm sorry. I can go, if you like."

Blue shook his head, "No, it's fine. So, what...what did you want?"

Fluttershy walked the remaining feet over to his bed and sat down beside it, "Nothing. Well...no...nothing. How are you feeling?"

"I'm a bit sore this morning, I guess, but I'm all right. I just be back to normal in a couple of days, I wager."

"I see. And...and then you'll be leaving Ponyville, I guess?"

Blue propped himself up on his elbow, "I'm not sure yet. I mean, I like this place, but it's not like I can just live here with you for good."

Fluttershy looked away and whispered softly, "No...I suppose not."

"It's not that I haven't thought about staying, though!" Blue added, "Everybody here has been very nice to me. Pinkie brought me cards and balloons the other day; Applejack baked me a pie; Twilight brought me some books to read if I got bored. And you..."

Fluttershy looked up at him and smiled sadly, "I know."

Blue sat up in bed gingerly and put his hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder, "You have made me feel so welcome. You have given me a place to stay, made me meals...and your love of animals makes me feel like, if I did stay, I'd have someone to share that with. The way you look after them, and care for them...I think it's wonderful. I think...:"

Blue trailed off, and, standing up, walked into the kitchen and started making a pot of tea.

Fluttershy remained standing in the bedroom for a few moments, before joining Blue in the kitchen.

"Blue, I think what you did in the city was wonderful too. I'd love to visit the city someday and help all the kitties and puppies like you did. Why would you leave that?"

Blue put the tea kettle on the fire and, turning around he sighed and said, "Honestly...I don't know. Just as you devoted yourself to caring for the forest animals, I threw myself into looking after any city animals that needed help. From kittens and puppies, to rats and even skunks. One day, though, I just realized that...I had given myself so much to it that I didn't have time for friends or family."

"Well, I care for the creatures in Ponyville, but I still have lots of friends. I'm never too busy for Pinkie, or Rarity, or anypony. Maybe...umm...if you still wanted to look after animals..."

Fluttershy blushed, "...you could stay in Ponyville and help me. I'm sure you'd have lots of friends here."

Blue shrugged, "I'm no charity case. Honestly, after my mother died, I began to wonder if I could ever feel close to another pony. When you devote so much time to caring for somepony, and then...well, sometimes I wonder if it's easier to just be alone."

Fluttershy walked up beside Blue and, looking out the window, she said softly, "Sometimes...even if it's easier to be alone, it doesn't make you happy. I was...am...quite shy around other ponies. I used to feel like being alone was better than having to confront new things...scary things. But then I made all of these friends in Ponyville, and...I'm trying to be more social...so, now I'm happy."

Blue felt tears well up in his eyes, "What's the point?"

Blue was startled when Fluttershy hugged him suddenly from behind. When she let him go, he turned to her and could see she had tears in her eyes too.

He opened his mouth to say something, but seeing that he had made this beautiful pony sad filled him with guilt. He didn't know whether to apologize, or simply pack his bags and leave.

"Blue..." Fluttershy softly said.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to make you sad."

"Blue..." Fluttershy said again, "When you were hurt, there was nothing that mattered more to me than making sure you were okay. Not my animals, not myself. These last few days of having you here...from the moment I met you, I felt that...well...we shared so much in common. From the moment I met you, I..."

Fluttershy hugged him again, and this time he hugged her back.

"I'm so sorry I made you sad, Fluttershy." Blueheart repeated again, holding her closely against him.

She pulled back just enough to look him in the eyes and said, "I'm not crying because I'm sad, silly. I'm crying because...I don't know why...and I know I just met you, but I..."

Her cheeks flushed and her mouth hung open slightly, leaving the sentence unfinished as she tried to find her words.

But she didn't have to finish. Blue's front legs went up and wrapped around Fluttershy's neck. He pulled her tightly toward him and their lips met.

With both their eyes closed, they shared a deep kiss for what seemed like hours, but was probably several seconds. After it was over, Fluttershy took Blue's hoof in hers and motioned with her head toward her bedroom.

"I want to be with you, Blue; and I promise to never leave you." she said, smiling at him.