• Published 22nd May 2013
  • 527 Views, 9 Comments

For an Untainted Dawn - Hyperbole



A terrible conflict that has been raging on for decades, is soon coming to a climax.

  • ...
6
 9
 527

Prologue

For an Untainted Dawn

Prologue

Reminiscence

The Griffon king sat alone, on a balcony near the top of the castle he had been residing in for many years, overlooking the city he ruled over, a stiff breeze blowing by. Watching as his people moved throughout the streets or flew through the air. He sighed, knowing that this could all end, the peacefulness of the recent years had made many forget of the terrible conflict raging throughout the world, not that he wanted to shatter their happiness. He didn't blame them for wanting to forget, he would want to also, if it were not for the fact that he couldn't leave the reason behind. He needed to stay firm in his belief, and those who followed him would also.

He threw a glance west-ward, towards the "Holy Celestial Empire", thinking about what he could do, while numbers would be on their side in the coming battle due to so many more ponies and other races opening their eyes to what he had seen all those years ago, they had much more power. A single pony being able to cast a such a powerful shield spell that could nearly stop an entire invasion? Unless the ponies started to arrive by the dozens every day, he needed a plan, something, he couldn't lose. He couldn't.

He turn back, looking in towards his room, thinking he could perhaps go for a leisurely flight, if there was any true deity, they would know he needed it. Getting up from his perch onto two legs, wings flared slightly to keep his balance better, he walked closer to the edge of where he was sitting. With a strong jump, he pushed himself into the air, wings snapping outward to catch the air. Tilting himself forward, so he wouldn't have to do much, merely converse the energy of his descent, he started to gain speed.

As he got lower, he increased his decline, speeding up even more-so, as he lowered, he directed himself towards the market district. There, the many types of creatures whom he strived to guide, busied themselves with their tasks that had to be done. Be it buying, or selling, there were things happening throughout the entire plaza. Some friendly by-goers, waved upward to him, whether they actually knew his true identity, he didn't care. Waving back as he passed by, he angled his flight path upward and started to coast to the outer limits of the city.

As he neared the edge, he closed his wings, allowing himself to start rapidly speeding towards the ground, closing his eyes, he merely took a deep breath. When it had almost seemed as if their king had attempted to take an easier way out, he reached the end of the city. The ground that he was speeding towards just moments ago was no long in his way. He continued to descend.

Turning his thoughts, inevitably, back to the war, he thought about how the tyrant Celestia, bended her subjects view of him and his goal. He had been made out as a blood thirsty menace merely out to expand his territory, this forced stereotype wasn't just put onto him, it was soon put onto his people, also. Being made into such a bad guy was slightly demoralizing, but if it meant for the better of the world. He would push through it, but he would not become the monster he had been painted as, he would find a way.

After he had been gliding along for quite some time, the sun had started to go down, with the stars coming out. Deciding he should start to return to his castle, his admittedly overzealous guards were probably having the worst panic attacks of their careers. Sparing one final look into the distance, he could see a shooting star. While he wasn't one for such things usually, he took a wish upon that star.

May we find the power to win this war.


Boredom, the bane of nearly every creature. But none such a potent poison to anything, or any one, than the spirit of Chaos. No, he wasn't a god, and he acknowledged that. He had been encased in a skin-tight tomb for quite a while now. He had been able to free himself after some time, but he would inevitably be returned.

Even when he was entombed in stone, he was still able to have influence, and watch the world around him.He was well aware of the war that had been occupying the face of this world. He wasn't quite sure which side he truly would support, but he knew without anything the Griffons wouldn't stand any chance in the long run. Not having any chance wasn't his style, deciding he needed to do something about it, he focused his thoughts onto what he could do to spice of the conflict.

It struck him, he would need a third party to join the fray, something that would... rotate the tables, per say. But he couldn't pull in an entire countries worth of anything in this state, so the one he pulled through would have be all that was needed. But what would be- it hit him again, he knew of the perfect race to bring into the fray, their natural abilities would turn the tables without making it a shoe in.

The only question now, was who exactly? He only had enough energy to bring in one, he didn't have enough energy to much else, nor would he be able to have any more influence for quite some time. There was only one way the spirit could decide. He wouldn't, he would purely pick at random. What better way to choose? While they were sure to have an uncomfortable beginning, he knew the race. When given proper motivation, they wouldn't stop until their cause was recognized. He just needed to get them to land near enough to the Griffon capital so it wouldn't freeze to death before it arrived.

This is going to be delicious, thought the pure unbridled mass of stone Chaos.

Author's Note:

This is my first truly serious attempt at writing, I hope it wasn't TOO horrible for anyone, any criticism would be gladly received. I had been meaning to actually attempt writing before, but I was never able to truly get motivated to do so, if this isn't completely thrown into oblivion by everyone, I'll do my best to continue. If anyone sees anything that I messed up, just point it out, please.

The reason the city isn't really being all that described, is because the perspective we're getting this from, has seen it so many times he doesn't even really think about it, when we get to seeing it through someone who hasn't, we'll get the more detailed view of it.

It is Human in "Equestria", but we're going to see very little of it.