• Published 11th Feb 2012
  • 912 Views, 15 Comments

Dull Skies - Glacier Frostclaw



Rune goes back in time and has to help the Mane 6 save Equestria from Nightmare Moon

  • ...
 15
 912

Decisions

Chapter 2: Decisions

Rune looked up from the book after finishing reading about Applejack’s attempt to run away because of a failure to win first place, and thought about his teacher. Remembering his teacher’s sad look when she told him about her friends, he frowned, not liking it.

“I want to cheer her up… but how…” he said, and then thought about what could possibly cheer the princess up. Suddenly he remembered something he’d read before. Turning back to the final page in her diary, he reread the entry and found what he was looking for:

I wish I could see my friends again. See Rarity and Applejack arguing over silly things, or Fluttershy’s warm smile, or attend another famous Pinkie Pie party, or hear Rainbow Dash’s determined voice just one more time… Or even have something more to remember them by… it’s been so long since I’ve seen them… all I have of them is pictures and memories…

He smirked, getting an idea.

“Or even to have something more to remember them by… If I remember correctly, there was a spell that allowed time travel in one of the books back at Canterlot Library…” he said, getting up and looking around the library. “Maybe this library will have a copy of that book… what was its title again… Oh yeah! It was Starswirl the Bearded’s Guide to All Things Magical!” he said, quickly looking to the correct section. To his surprise, the library did indeed carry the book he needed, and he quickly pulled out the book and skimmed the pages, finally finding what he was looking for near the back.

It is, in fact, possible to travel back in time using unicorn magic, though the practice is frowned upon due to the sheer amount of danger it can bring. For one, use of this magic risks messing up the time continuum, which will result in changing the future you would be returning to. Anypony thinking of using this magic must gain the permission of the Royal Council before attempting, and must follow ALL guidelines given to them by the council.

To cast this spell, a unicorn must meet all prerequisites:

1. The user must have a large amount of magic at their disposal. Time travel magic is very energy-consuming, and it will use the user’s life force if it runs out of magic to use, also known as magic overdrain. Most unicorns that have attempted this spell have died from using all of their magic and life force.

2. The user must have a very distinct image in their head of the targeted time and place. This is how the user indicates what time they wish to return to. Without a proper image in the user’s head, they could end up in any time period.

3. The user must also have an image in their mind of where they want to return to. They must know every detail of the location and time they want to return from their journey. Without this, the user will be stuck in the past with no way to return.

The easiest way to cast this spell is with the assistance of a magic multiplying arcane circle, preferably of high level to ensure the user is not killed from magic overdrain. My preferred arcane circle can be found in the back pages of this book. Simply copy the circle on the ground, and be sure to make the circle big enough that the caster can comfortably stand within the circle. The user then pictures the exact moment they wish to return to and activate the circle. The process to return is the same.


Confident he could accomplish this task, Rune went to the back of the book and found the circle, immediately recognizing it as a very high-level circle. He looked around and found a door he hadn’t noticed before and opened it, revealing a staircase downward. Rune grabbed both Starswirl the Bearded’s Guide and Twilight’s diary and then headed down the stairway, closing the door behind him and eventually coming to the end in what looked like an ancient laboratory. Cobwebs and a thick layer of dust covered everything, as if no one had been here in at least 100 years. Rune nodded, knowing this would be the best place to draw the circle, away from where anyone would find him. He quickly got to work using his horn to leave trails of magic energy and drawing the circle. After about half an hour of drawing the circle, he looked down at it and nodded. Then he turned to Twilight’s diary and looked through some of the pictures, finding a picture of the park at dawn with nopony in it.

“Perfect. I won’t have to explain anything for popping up if I use this,” he said. He quickly memorized the picture and walked to the circle, placing the two books into it and then stepping in himself. “This is it…” he said, closing his eyes and picturing the image of the park. He then realized that the picture existing meant that somepony WAS there, most likely Twilight herself, so he changed the image in his head to around dusk, made a mental photo of what the laboratory looked like as he left, and focused back on the image he as using to go back, activating the circle and disappearing with a flash of very strong magic.

******

Rune appeared with a flash in the exact image he’d pictured in his mind, looking around to make sure there was in fact nopony in the vicinity before opening Twilight’s diary and thinking about where to start.

“Hm… according to the book, Pinkie Pie knows everypony in Ponyville, so I suppose she’s the first one I should go to,” he decided, looking around and heading for the edge of the park to begin his search. He looked at the different buildings, and back to Twilight’s journal, looking at the picture of Sugarcube Corner, the place Pinkie apparently lived and worked at. He noticed a lot of the buildings hadn’t changed in the 1000 years that he’d travelled, recognizing most of them from when he first came to Ponyville. After a while he realized that wandering around wouldn’t get him anywhere, since he’d never been to Sugarcube Corner in the first place. Spotting a pair of fillies walking together, he walked over to ask for directions.

“Excuse me, girls. I’m a bit new here. I’m looking for Sugarcube Corner. Could you point me in the right direction?” Rune asked them, looking around to make sure it wasn’t visible and making him look like a complete idiot. The green one with white hair and a harp cutie mark was the one to speak up first.

“Oh sure, it’s on the other side of Ponyville. In that direction,” she said, pointing in the opposite direction Rune had been going. Rune nodded and smiled.

“Thanks a lot. Bye!” he said, running off in that direction.

“Don’t mention it!” the filly called back.

******

Rune looked up from the book and nodded.

“Yup. This is the place. Sugarcube Corner, run by Pinkie Pie, Mr. and Mrs. Cake,” he said to himself before heading for the door. He made sure they weren’t closed yet and entered, looking around. “Excuse me, is anypony here?”

“Be right there!” came a lady’s voice from the kitchen. Moments later, a filly with three cupcakes for a cutie mark came out.

“Hello there. I’m Mrs. Cake. What can I do for you?”

“Um, I’m looking for a filly named Pinkie Pie? I heard she lived or at least worked here? Is she around?” Rune asked, looking around to see if the pink pony he was looking for was in the room anywhere. She was not, which wasn’t surprising, but Mrs. Cake’s face at the question and her reply were.

“You say you heard a ‘Pinkie Pie’ worked here? I’m afraid you heard wrong. It’s always been just me and my husband working here. I’m sorry,” she said, and Rune could tell from her face and tone that she was telling the truth. This confused him greatly.

“Oh… well, ok then… Thanks anyway,” he said, turning around and heading for the door. After exiting the building, he double-checked the journal. Pinkie Pie was supposed to live and work at Sugarcube Corner. The book confirmed it. Rune decided that the next best choice would be to find the Element of Kindness, Fluttershy. She should be on the edge of the Everfree Forest, living in a cottage alone with woodland creatures. He once again stopped a pony for directions, this one a colt with brown fur, darker brown mane and tail, and an hourglass for a cutie mark.

“Excuse me, I’m looking for a filly named Fluttershy. I heard she lives on the edge of Everfree. Where can I find her cottage?” he asked the colt. The colt shrugged.

“I’m not entirely sure, but the road to the Everfree would be a good place to start. It’s right over there,” the colt replied, pointing to the left. As he’d said, Rune could tell that a little farther down that road and he’d end up at the edge of Everfree.

“Thanks,” Rune replied, heading down the road. After a few minutes of walking, Rune came to the edge of the Everfree Forest, noticing a small path leading off in the right but not heading into the forest. Guessing this lead to Fluttershy’s house, he followed the path. His guess was right, and soon he found himself standing in front of a cottage. He knocked on the door. The moment he did, there was a small squeak. The squeak wasn’t from a mouse though.

“W-who’s there?” a quiet voice spoke from the other side of the door. Rune thought for a moment. “H-hello?” the voice asked again after Rune hadn’t answered right away.

“My name is Rune Sigilsign. I’m looking for somepony named Fluttershy. Is this her cottage?” Rune asked. He figured it’d be safe to say his name as long as he didn’t affect too much. He was only here to get gifts for Twilight, after all. The door started to open, but stopped suddenly, only opening a crack as a single green eye peeked out.

“T-this is my house, yes… w-what do you want?” the filly asked quietly. Rune blinked, and then remembered Twilight’s journal had said Fluttershy was extremely shy.

“I need a little help. I was looking for a Pinkie Pie at Sugarcube Corner, where I was told she worked, but Mrs. Cake said she doesn’t. Do you know where I can find her?” Rune asked. Fluttershy opened the door a little more.

“I’m sorry, but I d-don’t know a Pinkie Pie. I know a Pinkamena Pie, and she lives out a-at the rock farm. It’s just north of Ponyville. I’m sure you c-can make it if you just follow the r-road,” Fluttershy replied softly. Rune had to strain his ears just to hear her speaking. When the book said she was shy, it wasn’t lying. Rune thanked her and apologized for bothering her so late, as it was now getting dark. He then walked through Ponyville and to the north road, following it to a small farm with a single house and silo. This farm had no wheat, no vegetation of any kind. The only thing it did have was rocks. Rune looked around and noticed that the residents of the farm were all asleep, and a thought hit him.

“I… I don’t have anywhere to sleep,” he said in surprise. He hadn’t thought he’d have spent a night here. He thought for a bit, then decided on the only thing he could think of, walking towards the silo doors. Opening them quietly, he saw nothing but more rocks. Frowning, he walked in and closed the door, laying down next to a small rock pile and closing his eyes to sleep.

******

Rune woke up with a jolt as something poked his side. At first he suspected it to just be a rock, and started to go back to sleep, when whatever it was poked him and a voice spoke.

“What are you doing in here? This is my pa’s silo, not a bed.”

Rune jumped up quickly and looked at the pony poking him. He was met with a gray filly with straight hair and a rock for a cutie mark.

“I’m sorry. I just didn’t have anywhere to sleep, and I saw this silo and thought it’d at least be a good shelter for the night,” Rune explained quickly, looking straight into the filly’s eyes. She didn’t look too impressed.

“Oh really. Well, I suppose I should bring you to my pa. You were trespassing, after all. What’s your name?” the filly asked. Rune winced at the thought of meeting the owner of the farm.

“Rune. You?”

“Inky. Come with me. Pa should be in the south field.”