• Published 20th May 2013
  • 527 Views, 2 Comments

Patty the Pegasus: A Griffon's Tale. - TehAussieGriffin



Patricia Sab Saqr is an adopted griffon, and the familes who care about her don't trust each other until Luna steps in.

  • ...
 2
 527

Battle Scars

Chapter 5: Battle Scarred

Once there was an intrepid, spirited pegasus travelling with her father, filly, and councillor to meet a Guardian she'd fallen in love with by mail. While getting water at a spring they were caught in a rock slide.

When the Clan Von Gryffon's Fourth Guardian squad flew out to meet them their supply officer found the only survivors: a dying mare and her crying foal. Looking into his eyes for the first and last time she spoke her last words: “Gunter? Protect my daughter.”

While the rest of the squad were still combing through debris the foal was being flown to the nearest healer. While the healer saw to the cuts, bruises and immediate state of shock as her hair changed from gold to white, it was the next few days that showed the rest of the damage setting in.

For the first week she was nearly catatonic and screamed in terror when called Emerald Heart. At night she suffered nightmares, crying out for her mother while the supply officer tried his best to comfort her. The clan's Guardian became her legal guardian, chosing to adopt her under his own family name: Patricia Sab Saqr of the clan Von Gryffon. The Merchants Guild sourced an enchanted zebra music cylinder to allow her to sleep, yet it was the clan who reported no pony survivor by the name of “Emerald Heart” as legally she no longer counted as such.

The foal's guardian was happy to raise her as his own daughter, as his whole family had been lost to the war against the cult. The whole clan was proud of her gaining the confidence to fly and inspiring others to recover from personal injury and loss. She became the beacon of hope for many... then years later, the Merchant's Guild held a show by The Wonderbolts...

-_==========_-

Sitting in the lounge, a curtain muffling sound from the foals, Gunter spoke in little more than a whisper. “My whole clan has worked to give her a home.” His stony gaze turned to Maudlin and Luna as his voice recovered a martial edge. “I wasn't selected right away as her guardian. Anyone who wants power over others must subject themselves to scrutiny from the whole clan. The more power, the more probing the scrutiny.

“Griffons are naturally powerful creatures and we distinguish ourselves by restraint. Some legends say we were forged as guardians of ancient treasures and knowledge, and perhaps that is why any blemish against one's character can stop their advancement.” His tone lightened substantially. “One objection kept me from being my squad's leader: Being too forgiving of a cultist. This didn't count against me raising Patricia.”

Maudlin Makeover suddenly confronted Gunter in hushed staccato tones. “You admit that griffons are violent? Constantly having to watch each other for irrational and destructive behaviour? Yet you wanted to raise an innocent filly?” She hissed her next word with disdain. “Orphaned in a broken desert fortress? You're monsters.”

Maudlin response saw Gunter struck mute as Luna stood between them. “Perhaps you know something about orphans that we don’t?” Quickly Ruby Dream produced a large photo album and Luna pried an otherwise hidden photograph out of the cover eliciting a gasp.

“No! He won’t understand.” While she was almost in shock Gunter studied the monochrome photograph of the Baltimare Orphanage and a filly smiling nervously beside a respectable stallion with a tie and an insincere smile on his face.

“A stallion that wanted a business trustee and tax deduction.” Luna spoke with the certainty of familiarity. “So to prove you were more than a benefit you ran the salon to make them proud, not just satisfied.”

Ruby Dream chimed in. “When you took ownership of the salon, you were happy to see your daughter innovate and create like you had. We were all proud of your family.” She smiled as she spied Patricia watching her grandmother from behind the curtain.

“I’m the only family she has left, her only connection to home. I can't lose her again.” The last word was a pleading whine. Gunter was about to reply when a small set of hooves cantered around from behind the elderly mare.

“Grandma? Daddy's objection was to being a squad leader, not my daddy. He's too nice for that.” Patricia looked over at Luna and Ruby Dream. “If no one here objects, can grandma stay with us if she wants?”

Thinking about it, Luna realised that the stilted glances of Cloudsdale high society may be less welcoming than the Merchant Guild and a welcoming clan, especially as she wasn't leaving anyone behind her. “I can arrange it so she can stay here.”

“Forever?” For the first time, Patricia, Gunter and Maudlin all looked oddly hopeful.

“Forever.”

-_==========_-

Coming next: The stylish conclusion!