• Published 16th May 2013
  • 399 Views, 9 Comments

Cosmic Defiance: The Enemy from the Stars - Mamoru Kisho



After being driven from his hometown at the return of a corrupt and inhuman king, a young man seeks help from the only person he can count on - a studious royal mage.

  • ...
7
 9
 399

The Arpeggian Fall and The Last Man on Terra

Chapter Four: The Arpeggian Fall and The Last Man on Terra

Midnight. The merchant city of Arpeggio was in the midst of a celebration honoring one of the longest-standing traditions of their nation. It was to be a night filled with merriment and companionship. However…

“Greatswords and battleaxes are in the back of the shop, rapiers and shortswords on the racks! Every other weapon in between – longswords, spears, flails, anything like that – check the boxes in the adjacent warehouse!” Comet instructed the people of Arpeggio as they scrambled through his father’s workshop seeking any form of armament. Although the weapons were exactly where they needed to be, there was still someone missing. “And if anyone sees my father around, let him know Comet is fine!”

A commander stepped into the smithy, instructing those with a weapon to report to various locations around the city. Once the majority of the crowd has left, he made his way through the remainder to Comet. “Young man, the city guard thanks you for aiding us in our time of need!”

“That’s nice and everything, but move it! The fighting’s not over yet!”

“I will, but you also need to evacuate. They’ll be here any second!”

Another guard rushed into the workshop just as the first one finished. “It’s too late, sir! They’re already on this block!”

“All of you heard him! We need to keep those things at bay while the militia arms itself!”


Twilight and Applejack were surrounded by a mob of shadows that only grew in number with each soldier’s death. They soon found themselves alone and facing both former civilians and guards. Both were unsettled at the fact that they used to be human.

“Ya know Twi, Ah’ll admit we’ve seen some things others wouldn’t believe, but this?”

“I couldn’t agree more, AJ. This is beyond horrible.”

Almost as if on cue, the shadows lurched forward en masse, using their numerical advantage to leave no way out for the two. Twilight fires off a series of spells that slows down their assailants, giving Applejack plenty of time to react and punch her way through the crowd. As the figures are struck and sent flying, they crash against walls and lose their form, becoming the amorphous blobs they were when they first appeared.

“At least they ain’t puttin’ up much of a fight. The wolves were tougher than these things.” The farmhand started to visibly slow down as the fight continued. “Though it would be much easier if Ah had a bit more rest after fighting all day.”

“Let’s just endure this and head toward the smithy. Comet and the others are there, so we’ll have the support we need.”

The sounds of metal clanging against metal distracted them from their predicament. Just behind the mass of enemies, the blacksmith and a few others push back a wave that strayed from the group that was fighting against the girls. “Hey! Finally found you two!”

Relieved at his reappearance, Twilight made light of their current situation. “It’s about time! We were just about to leave you behind!”

“And get yourselves lost in my city?” he replied. “Not on my watch.” He tugged on their shirts and signaled them to move. “You two keep moving, I’m right behind you.”

“Jus’ let us know if ya need help clearin’ the rear.” Applejack stayed ahead of Twilight, taking on the brunt of the blows for the scholar. Even after fighting for so long, she still had the strength and stamina to match them.

Before they made any real progress, however, Applejack was sent stumbling backwards by an unseen force. She landed hard on her side, Twilight rushing to her side to help her on her feet. “What the hay?”

The shadow-possessed townsfolk stood still as the rest of the dark substance covered them completely and began to harden. They slowed to a halt and raised their arms toward the trio, determined to grasp at them even as they eventually stopped. The group did nothing except gaze at the now-immobile enemy.

“Are they done?” asked the scholar.

“Something tells me it’s far from over”, replied Comet.

As quickly as the shadows solidified, the trio heard crackling sounds, as if something was breaking out of a shell. The humanoid figures exploded from the hardened darkness, although they no longer resembled humans.

Those closest to the trio had the appearance of heavily-armored soldiers, bearing a strange symbol on their armor. The shadows further back looked like rangers, complete with bow and quiver and donning the same insignia. The group furthest from the three looked like spellcasters from legends: long robes, pointed hats, and either staves or wands in their hands. Just like the first two types, they bore the insignia.

“What just happened?” asked the blacksmith.

“I think they’ve undergone some type of...evolution…” Twilight answered, an unbelieving tone in her voice.

“Evolution? These things can--?” Comet was cut short as Applejack tackled him to the ground. Several arrows stuck to the ground where he once stood.

“Ah think we should run. These fellas mean serious business.” She stood quickly and pulled the blacksmith to his feet, shoving him in the opposite direction. “Move it, ya two!”

Twilight and Comet did as they were told, running from the advancing shadows as fast as they possibly could. The situation on their way to the nearest shelter was the same as any part of the city: bodies, both soldier and civilian, littered the streets of Arpeggio. Shadows undergoing a metamorphosis in view of soldiers already afraid of death. The same persistent laughter from Shadestone as he drew closer still.

“Watch out!” Wayward spells tore through a nearby tower, their combined strength easily toppling the structure. Acting purely on instinct, Comet ducked into a nearby home to avoid being hit by the debris while the girls ran ahead of it, determined to arrive at their destination.

The dust nearly choked the blacksmith, forcing him to pull his cloth over his face to avoid inhaling so much particulate matter. Once it cleared enough, he spotted them on the other side of the wreckage searching for a way to go over it.

“Comet, can you hear us?”

“Hey pardner, holler if ya can hear us!”

“I’m alright!” he replied. “Just a little shaken up, that’s all!”

“We don’t see a way for you to climb over the debris! Is there an alley or street you can see from your end? We’ll try to meet up halfway!”

“Don’t worry about me! You two get to safety!”

“But--!”

“Just do it!”

Both of them looked at each other with worry, but after a few seconds they continued running before they found themselves in a hairier situation. Comet, on the other hand, tossed his cloth to the ground in frustration.

“Dammit! Why the hell didn’t I just keep going?” The sounds of conflict sounded farther away than before. It seems that the city soldiers were doing a great job of keeping the area safe. “Of course”, he said to himself. “There’s a shelter nearby. Makes sense.”

“It seems out of everyone here, you have all the answers. Would you care to enlighten me?” A large, imposing shadow emerged from the ground, forming itself into a humanoid figure. Shadestone managed to find him.

“Y-y-you…” was all the blacksmith could say. This monster is the sole reason for his hometown to be in such chaos. This creature, with an air of charm and a disarming voice...was terrifying him.

“Oh, how the mighty emperor has fallen. You climb your way out of the muck and make a name for yourself only to end up as nothing more than an artisan millenia later.” He raised a clawed finger and pointed at Comet. “Surprised I know something about you already, blacksmith? It’s really no secret. I can tell just by looking at you.” Shadestone’s lips curled into a menacing smile, baring his fangs. “Actually, that’s a lie. A certain snowbird told me all about you. He keeps claiming that he’s your father.”

Comet’s nostrils flared at the mention of Temper. Without thinking, he drew his blade and readied himself for a fight, his face twisted in anger. “Where the FUCK IS MY FATHER!?”

Shadestone chuckled and looked down at him, treating him as less of a threat and more like a child with a stick. His smile grew wider before he continued. “He’s dead.”

As those words escaped his mouth, Comet charged Shadestone at full speed. The blacksmith gripped his sword as tight as he could, swinging like mad at the tyrant. Shadestone simply danced around his attempts at assault, repeating the words “He’s dead” in a taunting fashion.

As his body was lost to the influence of adrenaline and anger, Comet kept thinking to himself. “Why is he doing this? What’s his goal? He can’t be the same Shadestone as in the stories, can he?”

Before he could make sense of anything, Shadestone stopped just as Comet ran out of steam. Pulling back his robes, he reveals a large sword at his waist. The blade was large enough and appeared heavy enough to give even the strongest man trouble, but the shadow tyrant gripped it in one hand as if it weighed less than air.

“Show me if you live up to your namesake, Comet Blade.”

“With pleasure!” The blacksmith steeled his resolve once more and crossed swords with Shadestone. The tyrant, still treating it as nothing more than a game, kept backstepping and blocking his every swing.

“Such poor form! Emperor Starbirth would roll in his grave!”

“SHUT UP!” Comet’s swings had more impact, yet were becoming erratic due to his rage. Shadestone cackled at his opponent, knowing full well he couldn’t win.

“If this is the kind of people those six fools died to protect, then I say they did a very poor job!” Shadestone clashed blades with Comet yet again, only this time he appeared more serious. “But I tire of playing with you, child.” The tyrant reached for the blacksmith with his free hand, the size of it easily wrapping around his neck. Shadestone lifted Comet as the latter struggled to free himself from his grip.

“Let me go!”

The demon slammed Comet against a nearby wall, keeping him pinned against it with the same hand. The pressure only intensified as Shadestone’s face grew even more grim, almost as if he viewed Comet with disgust.

“Let me tell you something about you humans.” He tightened his hold on the blacksmith, causing Comet to gasp for air as he looked deep into the burning red eyes of this creature. “You drag a perfectly content demon from the bowels of Tartarus, bind him to your service and make him do your bidding.” He pulls Comet away from the wall only to slam him against it harder than before. “Then when the demon fights your control, you ask others to cast a much stronger binding spell. When they say no, you try to banish the demon.” Shadestone’s voice grew even more sinister and agitated as he slammed the blacksmith against the stone surface once again. “Then when the demon vows revenge against you apes…” Practically crushing his windpipe, Shadestone continuously tosses Comet against the wall. “YOU SEAL. HIM. IN. STONE. For ten thousand years, and that’s only because he didn’t want to stay imprisoned until the end of time, so he kills one of your lot, AND YOUR OLDEST AND WISEST WIZARD TURNS HIS ONLY SON’S BODY, NOW INHABITED BY THAT POOR DEFENSELESS DEMON, INTO THIS DISGUSTING PRIMORDIAL GOOP AND SENDS. ME. INTO. SPACE!”

Releasing his grip on the blacksmith, Comet slides down against the wall, coughing as air rushes into his lungs once more. With some difficulty, he manages to speak. “S-so…so you attack MY home...all because of something that was done to you by people who are long dead?”

“I wouldn’t expect a human to understand the misery I’ve endured. The plotting I’ve had to do in order to free myself, the people I’ve had to influence with my weakened power over such a large distance...” He grabbed Comet by the neck once more and forced him to stand. Pressing the tip of his blade against his chest, Shadestone gazed deep into the blacksmith’s terrified eyes. “Killing those six isn’t nearly as satisfying as crushing an entire swarm of insects like you, but I belive it’s a start.”

Comet felt a sharp, burning pain as Shadestone ran his sword into the blacksmith’s heart. His hands felt weak as his senses dulled, letting them fall to his sides. His breath became shorter with each passing second as his life slowly started to fade. Before he let the growing darkness take him, Shadestone dropped him onto the street.

“If your founders favor you, you’ll live. And then when I take everything from you, I’ll end you permanently...”


“Hah...so, it’s started. I never thought I’d see the day. Elpidios was right…”

Comet suddenly jerked upright at the sound of the voice, feeling dizzy just seconds after doing so. He shielded his eyes from the bright light that engulfed...wherever he currently was. “What is this place?”

“Hey, he’s awake!” said the voice. “Well, don’t just sit there. Introduce yourself!”

The blacksmith rubbed his eyes as they adjust to the light. Once they focused, he could see he was sitting in a traditional Uchun room, complete with mats, scrolls, and various other decorations. A figure was kneeling in front of an image of a woman, perhaps someone they knew.

“I’m waiting, kid. An elder asked you to do something, so it’s only polite to at least respond.”

“...Comet.”

“Comet? No kidding! My name’s also Comet.” The figure, an Uchun man, turned around in bewilderment and walked up to the blacksmith. “Wait a moment, I’m not talking to myself again, am I? Your last name wouldn’t happen to be Starbirth, would it?”

“What? No. Blade, Comet Blade.”

“Comet Blade...Hmm…” The man placed a hand on his chin as if he was deep in thought. “Nope, can’t be. You’re definitely not here because Shadestone has returned to Terra. Couldn’t be.”

“Okay, first of all, I’m not exactly sure what’s going on, or where I am. Second of all, if you’re talking about the same Shadestone I’m thinking of, then I’m afraid he has.”

The man turned away from Comet and resumed kneeling in front of the picture of the woman. After a few minutes of silence, he spoke once again.

“I am Emperor Comet Starbirth, and you are dead. Well, not completely. You’re on the verge, that’s for sure.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Comet, whether through a serious of strange coincidences or perhaps by fate, you are my spiritual descendant.” The emperor smiled as he uttered those words. “You, young one, are one of the few people that can stop Shadestone. Before I go into detail, one thing first. Can you keep a secret?”


“Is he alright?”

“Don’t worry, miss. We found him a little roughed up, but he’ll be just fine.”

Morning had come to Arpeggio, over half of the city decimated by the events that transpired the night before. Several volunteers have set up medical tents around the shelter that Twilight and Applejack managed to find, doctors and nurses working around the clock to keep their patients alive.

“And what about his medical report? Has he been infected with--?”

“Miss, he’s completely fine. If he was diagnosed with Blood Winter, we wouldn’t keep him outside of the quarantine tents. Our doctors did notice a wound on his chest just above his heart, but there wasn’t enough blood to suggest a fatal blow.”

“No, wait!” Comet sat upright, much to the surprise of refugees and workers. He looked around him and noticed the cot he was laid upon. Realizing he was safe, he laid back and sighed.

The field doctor handed Twilight a document. “He’ll just need to sign these release forms and he can go.” The scholar approached Comet just as he stood. A look of confusion washed over the blacksmith as he tried to piece together last night’s events.

“What happened?”

“The soldiers that brought you in said they found you unconscious next to your sword. They rushed you over here thinking you were…” Twilight stopped herself before she finished her sentence. “Never mind. The important thing is that you’re alright.” She breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s one less worry on my mind.”

“You talk as if my death would make a difference to your goal,” he replied. “To you, I’m just some foreigner that helped further your objective, nothing mo--”

“How can you say such a thing? People have lost their lives, and I’m sure their loved ones are distraught over the loss!” She toss the clipboard at him, a clearly upset tone in her voice. “And it’s the least I can do for someone that I…” Twilight stopped herself short, shaking her head and walking away at a brisk pace. Applejack stood over Comet’s cot, disappointed in his dealings with the scholar.

“When that buildin’ came crumblin’ down, do you know how worried Twi felt?”

“I know exactly how she feels, AJ.”

“Well, it sure as heck doesn’t seem like it! She hasn’t had a wink o’ sleep when she saw ya toes up and out cold, and you had ta--!”

“That’s exactly why I answered her in that way.” Comet placed his forearm over his eyes, taking a deep breath before continuing. “I noticed it the moment we met. She’s a girl with far too much responsibility on her shoulders, just looking for a way out. Whatever it is, she doesn’t feel like she’s right for the job.”

“Are ya sayin’...?”

“Maybe. I’m not completely sure.” He grabbed the clipboard and sat up. Grabbing the pen, he signed off on the documents one by one. “But either way, I’ve helped her get what she came for. There’s no need to drag this out much longer.”

“You should probably jus’ talk to her about it. Maybe she’ll come around.”

“I guess I can do that. But once I have, you need to take her home.”

“Don’t you worry ‘bout that, pardner. Ah’ll make sure she gets there.”


An hour after leaving the medical shelter, Comet and Applejack spent their time searching for Twilight throughout town. The blacksmith couldn’t help but wince at the sight of his home. In less than a day, it went from bustling epicenter of commerce to the aftermath of a warzone.

“Look at the bright side, sugar cube.”

“There’s a bright side to all of this?”

The farmhand placed a hand on her partner’s shoulder and gave him a warm smile. “Of course there is. You’re still kickin’.”

“And internally screaming.” Comet walked ahead of her by a few steps, leading the way toward their next destination. “I think I have an idea where she might be. Be sure to keep up.”

“Won’t be too hard considerin’ ya just woke up from a coma.”

They rounded a corner and headed back toward the central square, the start of it all. Comet averted his gaze from the fountain, passing through quickly so as to not relive the events of last night.

The library was in surprisingly good shape despite yesterday’s commotion. Opening the front door, he saw that the building was entirely empty. All except for one person. Twilight was too busy reading through another medical journal on the subject of Blood Winter. Whether it was to further her understanding of it or to help diagnose Comet better, they weren’t sure.

“You’re up and about, I see” said Twilight. “Did you come to say goodbye?”

“Twilight…” Comet looked behind him, Applejack silently urging him to go sit at her table. He followed her gesture, grabbing a chair from a nearby desk and sitting right across from the scholar. “Actually, I came to say hello.”

“Very funny, Mr. Blade.” She turned the page, not breaking her gaze from the book. “If you don’t mind, I need to study. A friend of mine could have contracted a serious disease, and I need to learn as much about it as I can.”

Comet didn’t return her answer. Instead, he opened his travel bag and reached into it. He pulled up a scroll, a sealed bottle of ink, and several quills, carefully placing them on Twilight’s side of the table.

“What’s all this?”

“An apology”, replied the blacksmith.

“Very funny.”

Without missing a beat, Comet started talking even if she wouldn’t listen. “My name is Comet Blade, son of Temper and Clera.” Twilight finally lowered her book and looked across the table at him. “I’m a blacksmith, nineteen years of age with twelve years of experience due to my father’s progressive thinking about early apprenticeship.”

“What are you doing?”

Comet smiled and gave a light chuckle. “I don’t think I was quite fair with my answers to your questions a couple of days ago. You genuinely wanted to know more about one of the residents of Arpeggio, yet that resident refused to answer at least half of your questions.”

“So you think answering them now would make a proper apology?”

The blacksmith only shrugged. After what seemed like an eternity, Twilight set her book aside, uncorked the bottle of ink, then dipped her quill. “Tell me more.”

“My profession includes both armor and weaponry, whether it be manufacturing or maintenance. My family is of Uchun descent, hailing from the northern end of the empire. My parents emigrated here before I was born, so I’m of Runeran nationality.”

Applejack sat back and watched the two from afar. Once she was sure they were getting along, she walked out of the library. “Now, we’re gonna need some transport…”

“What about hobbies? Do the people of Runera participate in certain sports depending on their sub-type? Do your seraphi prefer to live in the sky, like Equestria’s Cloudsdale residents, or do they mostly live on the ground with the others?”

Twilight continued to fire off question after question, to which Comet happily answered. Queries about the local food, dance, lifestyles, and any and all questions under the sun had an answer provided.


Two hours later, Twilight rolled up and stored the last scroll in her travel bag along with the medical journal. “I hope your librarian doesn’t mind me borrowing this for a while.”

“I don’t think he will. He’s more concerned about his collection at home.” They both laughed, picturing the worried librarian in their minds.

Twilight stood up, followed by Comet. As they walked out of the library, most of the debris on the streets had been cleared. “So I really have to know. You don’t seem like the type of person who would share so much to someone you just met. Why be such an open book now?”

“It’s simple. You’re the only one who’s really taken the time to listen.” Comet walked ahead of her, leading the way to the location he agreed upon with Applejack earlier that morning. Twilight kept a steady pace with him, wondering if she really was the only one to ask him.

“Hey, there ya are, you two!” AJ gave them a big hearty smile as she waved at them. “Found mah cart! Looks like we have a way home, Twi.”

“I thought we’d be taking an airship home. What happened?”

“Airport folk’re sayin’ the airships are busted. We’re gonna have to hoof it from here, little lady.”

Twilight perked up at the sound of the voice, having an idea of who it might be. “There is no way that that voice belongs to the one and only Braeburn.”

“‘Fraid so, darlin’.” The duo heard the sound of a heavy box being placed onto the cart before a man walked toward the front. “Haven’t seen ya since ya helped with that nomad tribe a few months back.”

“Brae’s been helpin’ me haul these big ol’ crates o’ cider all over Equestria ta sell.”

“We’d be done by now if ya didn’t see that fancy flier promotin’ some big hunt down here.” Braeburn removed his gloves and extended it to Comet. “Howdy, pardner. Name’s Braeburn. Y’all can call me Brae.”

“Comet. You can call me….Comet, I guess.”

Braeburn laughed at what he assumed was an attempt at a joke. “Yer a real joker, Comet. So, Ah heard Twilight here needs a lift back home. Ain’t that right, cus?”

“Well, she ain’t gonna be flyin’ home anytime soon. Hop on, Twi!”

“Just a second!” Twilight pulled Comet aside, making sure they were out of earshot of the other two. “While it was a rather insensitive way to express it, I realize that I’ve already asked so much of you. But…” She looked down and played with her hands nervously. “Would it be too much to ask if you could come with us?”

“Well, that depends. I can’t find my old man anywhere, so that’s a pretty tall order.”

“I knew I shouldn’t have asked. You’d be more concerned with his safety over--”

“Safety? Pfft.” Comet slung his travel bag over his shoulder, gripping his sword tightly. “The old man’s too ornery to die, so I know he’s alright. We’ve gone weeks without even seeing each other for various reasons before, so it won’t be like I’ll miss his sorry mug. And besides…” He held up a letter addressed to him by his father. “He’s already started on helping others find their way home. I’m not worried about him one bit.”

“So does that mean you…?”

“Miss Sparkle, should you need a sword-for-hire, I’d be glad to tag along.”

Twilight visibly lit up at Comet’s answer, a few sparks emanating from her hands as her magic overflowed. “I was hoping you’d say yes. Princess Celestia will be thrilled to hear about Runera directly from a resident.”

“Oh, I see. I’m just a souvenir for the princess” replied Comet in an obviously joking manner. “In that case, I’ll go take my place along with the rest of the cargo. Hey Brae! Think you can fit a memento with those cider crates?”


It was late afternoon by the time the four travelers crossed the border from Runera into Equestria. Throughout the entire trip, Braeburn and Applejack manned the reins of their oxen-pulled cart while Comet sat in the covered wagon along with a slumbering Twilight.

Crossing the San Palomino desert once again, the blacksmith had his weapon at the ready in case of desert wolves or sand scorpions. Things were quiet since the group entered the desert, most likely as a result of yesterday’s hunt. There wasn’t a whole lot threatening them seeing as how their numbers were thinned out.

Applejack climbed into the covered wagon and laughed quietly. “Seems she’s been out like a light since we left the city.”

“Yeah. Hasn’t moved from her spot since then.”

She noticed the dismal look on his face as he watched her nap, as well as spotting a scrap of paper in his hand. “Somethin’ the matter, sugar cube?”

Comet handed the paper to the farmgirl, which she immediately inspected. Apart from the words “To Comet” and Temper’s signature, the paper was blank. “What’s this about?”

“When you said Twilight couldn’t sleep since we were separated, I started to think. I thought about what I could do to make it up to her.”

“Which we agreed on havin’ you answer her questions, right?”

“Yes and no.” Applejack raised an eyebrow at his answer. Comet grabbed the scrap paper and tossed it aside. “I had a plan in case she asked me to come with all of you to Equestria, maybe to give a firsthand account on what happened in Arpeggio. Of course, if she suspected that I had unfinished business, she’d ask me to take care of it first no matter how long it would take.”

“So yer pop left ya a blank letter?”

“My father is dead.”

Applejack’s eyes slowly grew wider in bewilderment. “Are you sayin’--?”

“That letter, or at least those words on that paper, were written by me. I haven’t seen him among the deceased that the city guards were bringing in, but somehow I knew he didn’t make it.” He leaned back against the wooden paneling of the wagon, stretching his legs before continuing. “After we were separated, I ran into Shadestone.”

“Ya mean that big bad that appeared outta nowhere?” Comet stayed silent. “What happened, sugar cube?”

“We...talked. At least for a few seconds. He went on about how trapped he felt all these years after taunting me with news of my father. He kept mentioning the six rulers in those old stories as he…” He placed a hand around his neck. “Practically tried to choke the life out of me.”

“And ya didn’t think ta tell me or Twi?”

“I’m telling you now, aren’t I?”

“Ah meant earlier.”

“You would’ve either force me into hiding or left me with my people. Anything to save yourselves.”

“We’ve faced danger far more than we’d care ta admit. Luggin’ ya around would’ve been easy.” Applejack smiled, hoping to get him to do the same. When he insisted on keeping the same grim expression, she realized what he was trying to say. “You were going to stay behind anyway, weren’t ya?”

“Yes.”

“Then why all the talk about leavin’ ya behind?”

“I wouldn’t have given you a choice. I’m afraid to be here right now.” Comet reached into his travel bag and pulled out an old story book. It must’ve been decades old as the pages were very yellowed and the cover had be seriously worn. “Have you ever heard the tale about the last man on Terra?”

“Can’t say I have, pardner. Ah’m not much of a doomsday fan.”

The blacksmith opened the book to a dog-eared page and read. “The man, believing he could survive the onslaught of the gods, devised a way to survive their power. Having gained immortality, nothing could harm him, not even as the earth was torn asunder.” He looked over at Twilight, making sure she was still sound asleep. “The gods did not take this man’s insolence lightly. They were furious at his defiance of their cosmic powers. So furious, in fact, they made sure that his methods were not replicated by those still drawing breath. And so, the gods had turned the world into a desolate wasteland.”

Applejack sat against the paneling of the wagon opposite of him. She opened a bottle of the cider she was transporting and took a large sip. “Go on.”

“The man watched for eternity as everything he knew turned to dust. Left alone in this empty world, the man wandered the desert landscape hoping to find some semblance of life in this now-lifeless planet.” Comet closed the book slightly, placing his forehead against it and taking a deep breath. He opened it once more, determined to finish the passage. “The man wandered, for it was all he could do. He had forgotten the sound of his own voice, his own name. As time passed, the gods felt that an empty world would not do. And so, using their divine abilities, they started life anew. The immortal man, eager to speak to anyone or anything, simply bade his time. First, water had filled the large canyons left behind by oceans long dried. Next, plants returned to the surface, covering it in green. And finally, just as the immortal man grew impatient, humans roamed Terra once again.”

“That’s a real heartwarming tale, sugar cube. Go on.”

Comet sighed, regretting his decision to share the story after AJ’s answer. “Unfortunately, they did not see him. He tried to get their attention in any way possible, but they simply passed him by as if he did not exist. After centuries of trying to make contact, the man spoke to the gods. ‘Gods, these people are unaware of what is right in front of them. Have you given them no sight?’ ‘Their sight has not been impaired. They truly do not see you.’ ‘But why, gods? Why do they not see me?’ The gods answered the man, their response destroying what remained of his hope. ‘We made them blind to you.’ ‘But why, gods? Why have you forbidden them to see me?’ ‘You have chosen to defy us to the bitter end. While these people do not see you, they fear you.’ The man was perplexed at their answer. ‘But why, gods? Why do your people fear me?’ ‘You are not meant to be. You are the unknown, you are the enigma, and mankind shall fear what they do not know.’ ‘Please, my gods! I shall do anything just to have them know I am here, that I am not something to fear!’ ‘We shall grant you your request. However, when they see you, they shall not greet you as one of their own. Instead of camaraderie, they shall despise you for taking away everything and everyone they hold dear.’ ‘Then so be it. Whether they greet me as an old friend or spit in my face, I shall greet them as family.’ ‘Very well. From now until the end of time, you shall be responsible for the souls of their deceased. Whatever name you had before our purge no longer applies to you. Now go, Plutarus of the dead. Your duty awaits.’”

Applejack placed the half-finished bottle of cider next to her, still mulling over the story she just heard. “So you’re saying that the world ya knew is gone, and the only thing left for you is death?”

“That’s the general idea.”

“Listen, not ta rain on yer grim parade, but Ah’m sure ya won’t be sortin’ souls in Tartarus anytime soon.” She downed the rest of the cider in one chug. “For what it’s worth, ya still have a home ta come back to once this is all over. The princesses’ll find this Shadestone feller and put ‘im back in a big ol’ rock. Maybe this time they’ll place it in the sun.”

Comet chuckled at the idea of Shadestone sitting on a large meteor on the surface of the sun. “Yeah, let’s see him come back from that one.”

“Ya also got us. Me, Twi, Brae, and Ah’m sure our other friends will be happy ta help ya if ya ask.” She stood up and opened the cloth leading back to the reins. “Take all the time ya need, pardner. Keep an eye on Twi for me too, will ya?”

“Will do.” Applejack ducked out of the covered wagon and sat back outside with Braeburn. Comet looked at Twilight, still slumbering and probably dreaming of a castle made of books. He sighed as he rested against the paneling, hoping to get some rest of his own.

“But still, no matter how I look at it, one myth came true. Let’s just hope it doesn’t become two.”

Author's Note:

And so it begins! The party departs for Equestria (Braeburn tagging along for reasons), meaning that the gears of major plot points have begun to turn!

This time around, instead of making Shadestone a soul-stealer, he's actually a soulless fiend bent on turning the world into his own personal petri dish, if nothing more than to experiment with all life. Comet is a little less lovestruck compared to his predecessor (fic-wise, not in-universe), at times trying to push Twilight away or keep her from knowing too much about himself. Twilight is still Twilight.

As of the writing of this author's note, I've already started outlining the next chapter (the sooner the better), meaning that all of my fics are in a sort of "cooldown" state as I finish up that stage of the writing. I shall release chapters based on the order of the progress list on my profile starting with: Cosmic Defiance (this chapter), Zone of the Equestrians, Guiding of the Sirens, and finally Clock Tower. See, guys? I'm totally working on them! Please don't pelt me with rotten tomatoes!

For those of you who enjoy a bit of atmosphere, this is the song I had in mind while writing the part with Comet reading about the last man on Terra. Enjoy.