• Published 11th May 2013
  • 718 Views, 36 Comments

The New Lunar Republic: The Dawn - Wilfred Warfstache



All great heroes have a story, mine starts off with the end...

  • ...
2
 36
 718

Chapter 2

It was yet another normal, peaceful day where I lived. I woke up and got out of my bed and walked to the bathroom, hooves hitting the wooden floor making audible creeks, as I went to wash away my morning drowsiness.
"I wonder what we will be having for breakfast today?" I asked my self in my head.

The thought of blueberry pancakes suddenly filled my mind, as my mouth started to water at the thought. "I sure hope we are having blueberry pancakes today, mother hasn't made those in a long while," I said again in thought. I then made my way to the kitchen where, not so surprisingly, I saw my father eating pancakes, and my mother cooking some for her self and me for breakfast. I take a seat at the table and ask mother, "Are those blueberry pancakes your making mother?"
"Yes, they are. I know how much you like them," she answers. As she says this she stakes three freshly made blueberry pancakes and stakes them onto a plate. She then sets the plait in front of me and goes back into the kitchen to continue cooking pancakes for herself.
"Enjoy, but please don't make too much of a mess this time."
"Mother, I'm not a filly any more, and you know that!" I whined to my mother. She still likes to think of me as being a filly. After that I grabbed some blueberry jam for my pancakes (I really like blueberries) and added some to my stack of pancakes, then I grabbed a fork and started to happily wolf down them.

After I had finished eating my breakfast, I walked back back to the bathroom to clean my self up. After a few minutes of cleaning blueberry jam off my face and picking a small piece of breakfast out of my fangs. I then look at the mirror to see how I looked.
"Now aren't you a handsome changeling?" I compliment my mirror image. I then go back to the kitchen, where I see my mother eating some pancakes, and my father cleaning the dishes.
"Mother, father, is it alright if I go outside and have fun?" I ask them.
"Not right now Dawn, I need you to go and buy some groceries with your father," she replied a small frown appearing on my face.
"Can I at least go in my normal form?" I asked.
"Now, now Dawn. You know that we can't let anyone see you as a changeling, if not they will-" starts my father.
"They will panic and I could get into serious trouble, I know. But we have been in hiding from everypony else! Why can't they see me or mother in our normal forms?" I question a bit annoyed about not being able to show the ponies in Ponyville that I am part changeling.
"You just can't, alright? You must never show any other pony your true form, do you understand?" my father replies back. I shuffle my left hoof on the wooden floor and grumble under my breath.
"What was that? I couldn't hear you, speak up Dawn."
"I said fine, now let's go then to the store. I don't want to be standing here all day." I respond back, with a hint of annoyance in my voice.
"Alright then, go get your back pack your going to need it with the supplies," said my father as he went to his closet to get his saddle bag carrying his bits.

After spending about ten minutes to find my back pack, I finally found it and went back down stairs from my room to the front door, where an inpatient pegasus was waiting at the door, tapping his hoof on the floor.
"Don't want to waste your time do we? Well it sure doesn't look like it to me Dawn, now does it?" asked my father.
"Sorry father, it's just that I couldn't find where my back pack was," I apologized, "But hay, I'm here now so let's go."
We then flew off, away from the comforts of my house, and into the small town of Ponyville.

It took a couple of minutes, but we finally made it to the town. Knowing the drill, I changed into my discus, which was a lighter brown pegsus with a ruffled mane and tail that had a darker shade of silver highlights compared to my father, with cyan blue eyes, and a silver feather under a dawning sun set as my cutiemark. The resident ponies that lived in Ponyville knew me as Dawn Wing, though I preferred them to simply call me Dawn. I hadn't made allot of friends, though most ponies had already recognized me as being the son of Silver Wing. No pony would usually talk to us or ask us questions which is how we liked it. Or at least that's how they liked it. I actually wanted to show everypony who I really was, but even I knew that that would only cause problems. My mother told me that most ponies didn't like changelings like her self, and being a halfer could make things worse if I were ever to be discovered. Which is why I trained being so agile and sneaky to avoid being caught if was ever to be seen in my true form. I'm pretty good at it, I've only had on occasion when I was still very young when I wandered into a school for fillys. I played with the other students, but accidentally let my disguise fall. They didn't panic or even scream, all they did was stared and then asked me what I did, what I really was, and how i did what I did. I explained to them that I was half pony and half changeling. Even after what I told them about what changelings did, they still wanted to be friends with me. So we played some more until it was time for them to head back to class. I told my mother about the ordeal after I returned home. She only told me that I was lucky, that fillys were naturally curious, that I should be more careful about what I do. I listened to my mother and was more careful from then on, though I still kept in touch with those ponies I played with on that day. Every other fifth night we would secretly go into the field near the out skirts of the Everfree Forest and play, laugh, and talk with each other. After having our fun we would say our goodbyes and head on to our homes. "Those were the good old days," I thought to my self, " I wonder what they are all doing now that we are all older?"

"Dawn, are you coming with me then or not?" asks my father, breaking my train of thought.
"Yeah, I'm coming," I answer back as we walk into a grocery store. There we buy all that we will need for the house, which should last us about a week or so. My parent's like to go into town as little as possible, fearing what would happen if we were to be caught. After we got our groceries together we went to the counter to pay for the the products. We were greeted by friendly earth pony by the name of Mark Iplier (We asked him once of why he had such a strange last name. He had told us that it was a family name) that had on a a pair of glasses and a light sandy brown coat with a short black mane and tail, brown eyes, a cutiemark with a big red and black out-lined letter M, and a curly pink mustache.
"How may I help you today, Mr. Wing?" he asked.
"Oh me and my son are just here buying groceries just like every other week," my father said, "So, how has your day been, Mark?"
"Oh like every other day, except I got pranked by some fillys that thought it would be funny to drop some water balloons on me today. But I got over it and now I'm just here, doing my job."
"Well we would like to buy these please," said my father as he gave Mark the the products. Mark then counted all of the things that we had and added up the total prices in his head. He was quick to give us the amount due (He was always really good at math. I always thought that he could be a rocket scientist if he wanted to, but he told me that he had tried that and all that ended up with was a smoking creator where a prototype rocket had crashed landed. No one was hurt though but because of this he had lost his job in the rocket department).

"That should be about, thirty seven bits," he said.
"Alright here you go," replied my father after getting the amont of bits needed to buy the products out of his saddle bag. After passing the money due, we packed the groceries in my backpack and my father's saddle bag, we started to make our way out of the store.
"Tell Roseta I said hi, will you Dawn?" he called out to me.
"Sure thing Mark, see you next week!" I called back. We then started to make our way through the middle of town to get to our home when we suddenly see a crowed were the podium stand is at. Me and my father go to investigate and what we find shocks us both, and mentally scars me for life.

On the stand I see a changeling, in cuffs with a loose rope around it's neck which is tied to a wooden frame around the changeling. Next to the changeling is a colt wearing a top hat and a monocle over his left eye. He is an older pony then my father, around his mid 50's maybe. As he lifts his right hoof up in the air all the commotion coming from the crowd ceases and then he speaks with a gruff voice.
"Citizens of Ponyville, I, Mayor Stone Heart have come here today to show that we do not accept creatures such as this one you see before you! This creature here is known as a changeling! Creature that has the ability to shape shift into any mare or colt as it pleases in order to feed of other ponies love! They are a vermin to us and should not be allowed to live in our peaceful town! They are nasty animals, with nothing but selfish, troublesome, and evil intentions! That is why I am here to show you that there will be no more need to fear of this changeling in our town!" As he says this, he lays his left hoof on a lever on the side of the wooden frame. He then says to the changeling, "Any last word before you are sent to death?"
The changeling then opens his eyes, revealing white spheres with black rings for irises, but has no pupils. He then looks at the mayor and swears in a changeling language. He then looks around the crowd and states, "I'm the monster? I have not even done a crime and you all just go and kill me for being a changeling? Forget about me, you are all the real monsters here!" he then sets his gaze on me, staring at me with those cold white and black ringed eyes staring right at me. For a moment I though he was just trying to induce fear into me, but then he smirked and whispered some words that only I could some how hear. He whispered, "It's up to you."

I don't know what he meant by that but I knew I had to do something. I couldn't just stand here and watch him die just because he was different. I then made the decisions that would change my life for ever. I dashed toward him and shouted at the mayor, "DON'T DO THIS! DON'T KILL HIM!"

The crowed then turned to me in utter shock. They could not believe that a pony would stand up to protect a changeling.
"What is the meaning of this!?" the mayor roared.
"My name is Dawn Wing, and I am here to stop you from killing an innocent pony!" I yelled back.
"What are talking about? He is a changeling, not a pony! Why in the name of Celestia would you protect an animal such as this!?"
"He hasn't done any thing wrong! He is just a changeling, and for that you are going to kill him?!" I stated back.
"If you think that I will let you kill him," I tell the mayor with pure anger in my voice, not noticing my disguise falling, "Then you have another thing coming!"

(To be continued...)

Author's Note:

Alright, I hope I did better on this chapter than what I did for the first one. By the way any of you catch the little joke in this story? I'll give you a hint: it involves a certain earth pony that is named after one of my favorite YouTubers! Until next time, see you soon in the next chapter.
Update as of 11/18/13: Grammar has been fixed for any annoying mistakes that I failed to notice through this. My apologies.