• Published 5th May 2013
  • 607 Views, 4 Comments

Numerals - Kaciekk



All the ponies have numbers instead of names, 5 is determinded to find their real names, even if she has to betray 1.

  • ...
1
 4
 607

Numerals

Prologue

Every world has its own society, it's own government.Some ways can be harsh and confusing, making turmoil into civil war. In one world, the government is based on numbers. The ruler, a princess, the white mare that is said to raise the sun, was the creator of this government.

Everypony got a number. The lower the number, the higher the rank. The princess was 1. She had made an area blocked off from the rest of the world. Only three cities, 1000 ponies. Whenever a pony was born, they would have to wait for another to die, and take their number.

Many ponies hated this government, having to announce the new positions of numbers. And why couldn't a pony have their own name? But the strictness of the princess took them away from rebellion.

The Princess had a sister, that stood by her side.The dark was said to raise the moon. Both of these ponies help keep everything in order. One by one by one.

1 had a student also. She put every trust in her, for as powerful as the student was. A purple unicorn with extreme magic, for her talent was only magic. The princess decided to change her number, making it lower. 1 had changed it to 5. But 5 was confused, she couldn't remember the number she had before, and why was it '5'.

"1, why have you given me this number?" 5 asked one day.

"Whatever do you mean?" 1 replied."

"Why is it 5. I know you are 1, and of course there is 2. And 3 is my sister-in-law, the pony to create love. But who is 4? Never in my life have I seen 4."

"Never mind, my dear 5." 1 placed her horn on 5's forehead. "There is more to worry about in this life."

"But why do we have numbers? Don't we all get names?"

The white mare's head shot up. Her pinky purple eyes stared at 5. "I have told you that is something not to question about. And every number is special. All you need is a number to show your strengths. If a pony says a number, they know who it is."

The smaller unicorn trotted backwards from 1's flowing mane. "I guess."

"Now go! You should have work to do. You shouldn't spend all your time in Cantorlot. I tell you now, there should be many ponies in Ponyville. Get to know some, and tell me their numbers to give them praise.

"Yes 1." 5 Spoke, and galloped away.

Numerals

5 took a few steps onto the ground from the chariot. She didn't know how she was going to find ponies to report to 1. But she knew that she couldn't disobey. Saying 'no' to 1 would be the biggest mistake anypony could make. So 5 watched around the small town, with many ponies playing and working.

"Why don't you go find our place." 5 told a small purple dragon

"Alright" He nodded, and ran off.

He was a companion 5 had befriended. He helped her with many spells and books. Since he wasn't a pony ,he had no number. His name was Spike. But the one thing was that 1 didn't know about him. All she knew was that her letters from 5 came from a green flame. She did not seem to question it, so Spike was safe. 5 was afraid that she would take him away, not being a pony with a number.

5 gazed around. She watched each pony separately, looking to see if any were interesting. The unicorn's light purple hooves stopped, as she watched a gray pegasus play with a bubble wand. She looked very cheery, as the bubbles floated up.

"Hello there." 5 said.

Then the gray pegasus looked around at her, and smiled."Hi!" Her eyes did not seem to line up, but 5 did not want to be rude and asked about them.

"Um..." 5 tried to get words out, still confused about her gaze. "What is your number?"

"Oh, I'm 999!" She giggled, and her wings spread out.

"999? That seems like a number easy to remember."

Then 999 nodded, and kept blowing the bubbles. She did not seem like a pony 5 wanted to report to 1.

So 5 kept trotting on, wondering about that pony. Were all the ponies in this town odd? But 5 guess that something odd about everypony could make them interesting. Being boring would not be good to report.

Suddenly, something rusehd above 5. She ducked down quickly. 5 flipped around to see what it was . Dazed, she saw a light blue pegasus flying up. Her mane was a rainbow, and stood out among the sky. 5 jumped up.

"Hey, watch where you're flying!!!" 5 yelled.

"Who are you talking to? Me?!" The pegasus called back in a squeaky voice.

"Yeah! You could of took my head off!"

The blue pony snorted. "Well don't you know to get out of the way when somepony is flying?! Especially me!"

"What's you're number!?" 5 asked with anger.

"What?! Asking so quickly, when your the one that interrupted me! Well, I am 435, the awesome number!!!"

"Hmm, 435? You say that you are awesome?"

"Of course!! Would you like to see?"

But even before 5 could answer, 435 shot up into the air, blue feather flowing down. She raced into the sky with tremendous speed. Then 435 flipped back down, and hurled muzzled first. She swept her wings and swept towards 5, lifting a wind through her violet mane. 5 turned around and watched 435 land on her hooves.

"Hmm, you got pretty good skills." 5 replied. "I guess you can be a pony I can report to 1."

"Yep-." Then 435 stopped, surprised at what she said. "1? The princess. You couldn't possibly know her! And why report me? What's your number!?"

"Whoa, whoa, not so many questions at a time." 5 shook her head. "I wouldn't report you for bad, this is for good. It's an assignment 1 gave me. I'm her student. My number is 5, and it is only so low because 1 lowered it."

"I don't believe you!" 435 snapped.

"Well, then why don't you come with me, I need to find more ponies." 5 said, and trotted forward.

435 followed her by flying, a slower speed then what she used for her acrobat stunts. She fluttered above the ground will giving an annoyed fave to 5. This pony seemed to have a hard time believe something like this, even if it was the truth. Before they knew it, they started talking, explaining things about each other.

"So you're from Cantorlot, and I'm from Cloudsdale. And we meet in Ponyville? That seems odd." 435 started. "We met in the middle of the 3 cities."

"I just wish that 1 would give us more cities. And why must there only be 1000 ponies in all?" 5 said.

When the two mares walked out into the fields, 5 noticed another pony in them. She was a pure white unicorn, with a curled violet mane. She seemed to be digging with her magic. She took out gems from the ground and placed them in a wicker basket. Then her blue eyes glazed over and brightened when she saw 435.

"Oh, 435! It is lovely to see you! I was wondering if you can tell me the weather forecast for the next few days." She asked in an elegant voice.

"And what reason would I tell you. Sometimes the weather can vary."

"I just need to know, I'm going to be searching for gems, and I don't want to be in the rain and mud!" The unicorn shivered. She she glanced at 5. "Oh hello there. You must be new. What is your number, dear?"

"I am 5, I come from Cantorlot. I am doing an assignment for 1, taking numbers of interesting ponies."

Then the white mare gasped." Cantorlot!? Princess 1?! How wonderful! I certainly hope I am an interesting pony. I'd love for the princess to know my number. It is 388, by the way."

5 nodded with agreement. "DO you think that there is any other ponies that are interesting."

"Well, we are by Sweet Apple Acres, but..." 388 shivered again. "That is such a dirty place!"

"Oh come on! I'm sure that 521 would like some company!" 435 flew off.

5 and 388 followed her. 388 still seemed to be amazing by 5.

"I always wished to live in Cantorlot. It seems much more up-class then this town. I am a lady, a true unicorn, I deserve to live in such city."

"Maybe I can give you a tour some time, 388." 5 retorted.

"Oh that would be just wonderful! I'd really appreciate that 5."

5 looked above herself, and so did 388. There was lush green tree that held ripe red fruits. The unicorns gazed forward again, and saw the trees flooded the hills. They ranged in size and color. 435 sat down in one of the trees. She brushed away some of the leaves at her side.

"Hey 521!!" She called out.

Suddenly, an orange earth-pony galloped over to them. Her blonde hair bounced with a hat that sat on her head. She stood up tall in front of them.

"Howdy girls!" She smiled. "Have you been doing good?"

"Hey! I got a pony here who needs some interesting ponies! She said that she needs do do this for 1! I guess you're a good pony. You do pretty much run this apple farm." 435 turned her head over. "Hey 5, this is 521! She works here at Sweet Apple Acres!"

"Oh, a pony who is working for the princess?" 521 tilted her head. "Well I'm sure yer a good pony, probably from Cantorlot right?" She placed her orange hoof around 5 as the unicorn nodded. "This town is filled with lots of good ponies. There'd be no problem finding some. I see ya got 435 and 388 so far? They are some nice gals!"

"So you run this whole place?!" 5 asked.

"Well, with my family! My little sister and big brother, my grandmother too! Sometimes we have some others come down too. We probably have the biggest family in all of this world."

"Yet there is only 1000 ponies." 388 added, with her elegant accent.

"Hmm, true." 521 looked to the trees. "Why don't you gals help yerselvs to some apples."

435 shot from the tree. "Nah, we don't got time!"

388 rolled her eyes. She looked ahead, wanted to get out of the fields. For 388 did not like the outside that much, and wanted to get her hooves inside soon. She trotted along side the two ponies, who watched 435. Where ever could they go now? What ponies would they run into?

So far, 5 found 435, the daredevil pegasus. And 388, the elegant unicorn, and 521, the easy-going earth-pony. 5 didn't really know these ponies, but for some reason, she felt a connection. It was like these mares were meant to be together, to get over a certain situation. But what would that be?

5's ears flickered as she heard chirping of birds. She twisted her head and caught sight of a yellow pegasus. He long pink mane covered her face. But when her teal eyes saw the other ponies, she jumped, and hid behind a bush. The little birds that were around her then flew off.

"Who is that?" 5 asked 388.

"Oh, that is 752. She is a shy little pony. It is not easy for you to talk to her. She seems to speak with those animals. I respect the beauty of them, but they are just so dirty!"

5 took her hooves over to the bush. She knelled down and used her magenta magic to pull away the leaves. The yellow pony shuttered as her hooves covered her face.

"752, right?" 5 spoke quietly.

"What... what do you want?" She stuttered.

"I see that you can work with those birds very well. May you tell me how you do that? The princess might be interested in such things."

"What matter could that princess care about me. I'm just a little pony." 752 replied in her high pitched voice. "You know the princess? Well please don't tell her about me! Leave me alone!"

"Oh come on 752." 521 urged her from behind 5. "This is 5, she is a nice gal."

5 extended her right forehoof out to 752.Both of their eyes met, and the uncertainty in 752's gaze left. Just like 5 had felt the connection with the others, she felt it with this pony. The yellow pegasus placed her hoof on 5's hoof. She liffed up with her wings folded down.

521 glanced over at the west sky. "I think it might be getting late soon."

"I need find where I am staying. Its in a library I believe." 5 said.

"A library... how boring" 435 gagged.

"My friend should already be there."

"What is your friend like? What's their number?" 521 asked.

"Well, he doesn't have a number. You see he is a dragon, so he has a name... Spike."

"A dragon!" 752 spoke in fear, and bent down again.

"He's only a baby dragon. He's a good friend." 5 assured her.

All of the ponies got back onto the dirt path. 5 really didn't want the ponies going into her new home, but they still followed her. 5 would have to get back with the ponies later, for these were the only ones she knew so far. And 5 really didn't want to get so many more numbers confused in her mind. Yet 5 was usual an organized pony.

Suddenly, a bright flash came from the right. They were in the town now, walking along shops. 5 watched to her right side, then saw a bouncing pink mare wave. She quickly galloped over to the group. She gave a huge smile that went with her big blue eyes.

"Hey there!!! Are you new? That's so cool! It's nice to meet you! My number is 690! Ponyville is an awesome city!!! I should throw you a party!" The pink mare spoke with so much excitement, 5 could barely catch a word she said. All she heard was '690'.

"So... you are 690?" 5 shook her head.

"Yep!!!" She squeaked.

"Hmm, you seem so happy..."

388's white hooves stepped forward. "She is always like this." She told 5, then looked to 690. "We are trying to find 5's home. She is from Cantorlot! She is under the order of 1."

"Oooh! You know 1! Wow, maybe you can get her to come here, and I can throw her a party! That will probably make her less grumpy! And why don't I throw you a part at your home!"

"690, all I want to do is get to my home, yet I really don't know what it is like. I guess it seems that I really am moving here. I never really expected that. And please don't call 1 grumpy, she has much to do."

690 bounced along the side of the other ponies. She talked about how she lives in a bakery, and how she throws parties for everypony. She was the most excited pony 5 had ever met. Would 690 be a good pony to report to 1? She seemed very interesting, being so happy.

5 gazed over, and she saw her friend spike, standing in front of a door. He waved his tiny hand. 5 trotted to him slowly, for she was tired.

"Hey 5!! It looks like you got some ponies. That's great!" Spike welcomed.

"Yeah..." 5 turned to the mares. "You guys, maybe we can talk tomorrow-"

"Oh, a baby dragon! I didn't know he'd be so cute!" 752 spoke with less shyness then ever.

"Huh?" Spike pushed himself against the door.

"752, I know how ya like animals" 521 started. "But I think 5 really wants to get settled in."

"Ohh..." 752 tilted her head down, with her long pink mane covering her face.

All of the mares left 5 by her new home. As they trotted, they waved their hooves. 5 waved her hoof to them uncomfortably. Had she accidentally made friends? Those ponies seem that they thought they were friends with 5. But all the unicorn wanted was to do as 1 ordered.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry if the numbers are hard to remember. I try to use the best descriptions to give you memory. Even on the cover I put the numbers of the mane six.