• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 444 Views, 5 Comments

Taking care of myself - Rio362



Sometimes hope shows up in a very tiny package and when it blooms you'll understand truly why it gives you hope.

  • ...
3
 5
 444

Chapter 3

Not the most complex or innovative name I know but I figured if he considers me his dad I may as well consider him my son right? besides when I started calling him that he loved it.

After waking up and stretching I spent the next couple of hours giving him a grand tour of my apartment. It wasn’t a very big apartment but I think he enjoyed it. He’d point at things and I’d tell him what they were and how they worked.

He really liked my lava lamp. I actually caught him one morning just starring at the wax spheres in the inside slowly moving up and down and colliding with one another inside of the lava lamp’s casing.

Unfortunately it broke one day and needless to say he was pretty sad. I felt so bad for him that when his birthday came around which was March 17th by the way I went out the day before and bought him a brand new one just for him. I was pretty neat too.

It had a stone dragon curling around it with its claws wrapped around the top and bottom of the glass casing. The stone dragon has emerald green eyes and it was bearing its teeth as if defending its treasure, and the lava lamps light was green along side with the wax inside of it.

When he opened his present his eyes widened and he could not contain himself. He was jumping around in shear bliss.

“I’m glad you like it Jr.”

*squee*

Sadly I had to throw away my broken lava lamp and in its place gave the new lava lamp its home on my night table.

I never thought I’d be so happy in my life. I was so use to being alone and being okay with my depression that I’d just let go of the idea of true happiness. This little pony is changing all that. This little pony is making my life somehow worth living again.

“Thanks Jr.”

After we hooked it up in my room we must have sat there for hours just watching it as the light shined and the wax spheres collided with one another. I wasn’t really watching the lava lamp as much as I was just enjoying watching him gaze at it with awe.

Every little while I would gently pet him and hug him softly which he of course enjoyed but for some reason whenever I held him close to me I was felt myself trembling a little. Was I actually afraid of losing him?

I haven’t felt fear like that in such a long time I didn’t really know how to handle it. I chose to forget my fear and simply live in the moment as if these were the last moments of life I had left with my little pony.

The next day was spent playing with him. He enjoyed fun little games that a normal child would such as hide and seek, tag, and catch. Not gonna lie he was really good at catch even though he never used a glove. He just caught the ball with his mouth.

As for playing hide n seek I would always know where to find him only because I could hear him giggling in excitement whenever I was near him. Then when I finally did find him he would run out of wherever he was hiding and we would play chase.

Thanks to the little guy my stamina for sports has gotten far better so I can finally keep up with him. He’s pretty fast for a a little colt. I could and actually have spent whole days just playing with him like this. I loved these kinds of days I really did. I have had a lot of fun before but never this much. Like all fun days though one must also work.

Work had once again reared its head at me and I knew I’d have to spend a day away from my little Rio. waking up was hard enough only because the little colt would always sleep on top of me and would be so warm that I’d only wake up for a few seconds to look at him sleeping there softly and then I would fall back asleep once more.

I tried to wake up without him noticing and of course that didn’t work. He didn’t cry or anything with waking up but he instead leaped up to me wrapping his little arms around my neck to give me a hug. I’m sure he was hoping I would go back to sleep and snuggle him.

“Sorry little buddy but I have to go to work today and I won’t see you for a little while okay? I promise I’ll be back tonight though for sure.” I spoke softly to him in hopes that he wouldn’t feel worried or scared that I might not come back.

I already knew I’d be fine however since I have been driving back and forth to the this job for almost a year.

I could see sadness in his eyes and I knew what I had to do. I knelt down to him with my hands on my knees. He walked up to me and lifted one of my hands with his head to get pats from me.

Which of course he did and how could I not once again give him the full loving treatment which is pets and chin scratches. He is a very spoiled little pony but that’s for obvious reasons.

“I have to go now Jr but I’ll back later okay so no worries.” He sat down with his hind legs laying flat on the ground, his front legs giving him support and his little black tail curled around him on the ground. I could tell he was going to miss me as much as I was going to miss him.

After work was finished I found that my muscles were as always sore but this time my heart was too so I couldn’t wait to get home and see Jr again. Finally up to the ninth floor and through the door to my room.

I couldn’t find him at first but I knew where to look and I was right. He was in my room and he must have fallen asleep gazing at the lava lamp again. He was curled up in a ball to keep himself warm until I gently picked him up and took him with me to my beanbag chair.

Though he was still asleep he somehow knew that he was being hugged by his daddy and so out of instinct he stretched out all four legs to get more comfortable and laid completely sprawled on my chest. I brought him a little closer to head level so that I could nuzzle him and stroke his little black mane.

“Love you Jr I’m here for you. So you can sleep easy Lil buddy.”

I nuzzled his forehead and held him close. He let out an adorable little yawn before he changed the position of his head to be more comfortable. The warmth of his body once again acted as a blanket for me and I soon found myself nodding off to sleep.

That night I awoke to see the moon’s light shining bright once again. I gently picked up Lil Rio, placed him down comfortably on the beanbag chair and I went outside to see moon or Luna as I have start calling her.

“Luna if you can hear me I’d like an answer to my question please.”

“Luna please tell me what I’m supposed to do.”

After a few moments of begging for an answer I was given only this for an answer.

“Take care of yourself young one.”

The voice never returned after that.

“Take care of myself? How can I take care of myself when I have to take care of this little guy and…”

I began to cough uncontrollably and quickly ran inside to get warm.

“What the hell am I supposed to do with “Take care of yourself”?

“What are you talking about Luna? what do you mean?”

After I came in I saw Jr shivering and for some reason I panicked, ran to him, and scooped him up to take him to my room to get him under the warm covers quickly.

“Rio…Rio you alright little buddy?”

He woke up and looked at me with a confused look on his face. He didn’t seem to mind me waking him up though. In fact he smiled sleepily, licked my nose, and then went back to sleep.

“Why did I freak out just now? Man what is wrong with me?”

I sat there for a few minutes petting the little ball of blue fluff and wondered to myself.

“What did Luna mean by take care of yourself?”

Author's Note:

Enjoy ^_^