• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 3,071 Views, 62 Comments

Keyblades in Equestria - Zeryurijin

  • ...
5
 62
 3,071

Ever Free Forest

Dawn. The sun should have risen over all of Equestria, bathing the lands, town and the ponies in its gentle warm glow, stirring those asleep to awaken, while chasing the night creatures into their slumber. Princess Celestia would be on a balcony right now, Luna lowering the moon to make way for her sister's light. Instead Ponyville, Canterlot and all the surrounding lands remained shrouded in darkness. The effects of the new threat and Nightmare Moon's curse of eternal darkness was felt through every pony and person. And instead of the moon, a strange new sight hovered mysteriously in the sky: A giant heart. Where it came from or how it got there, left some puzzled and questioning. For a small band of ponies, their princess and two humans, the answer was crystal clear:

"So, that moon represents the gathering of hearts. . to signal Kingdom Hearts?" Celestia asked as they paused on the outskirts of Ever Free forest. Mych and Zavier both nodded, while holding their Keyblades in front, letting them guide them towards the world's door. Despite the guards (and Twilight's pleas.) Celestia insisted on joining the group, even if she was a little weak from the poison's effects on her during the battle within the throne room. Luna remained at the castle, for fear of Nightmare Moon's dark influence, would once again cause her to slip into delirium once more. The alicorn gazed up at the sight and wondered, if Luna was just as awed by its presence alone as she was.

"Princess, I still say you should have stayed back in Canterlot. You've not fully recovered, the Heartless and Nobodies could come after you again, should we be attacked while searching for the door." Twilight mentioned, looking up at her mentor. The princess smiled, nuzzling her cheek instead softly,"I trust you and your friends, along with Mych and Zavier, that no harm will come to me." The purple unicorn, looked down while scraping the ground with a hoof as she blushed softly to her words.

As they stared into the dark murk of the forest before them, Mych felt a tug on his pants and looked down to see the shy pony pegasus Fluttershy look up,"Umm. . .I been meaning to ask. . . .who is Master Sid?" He blinked then snapped his fingers softly,"Oh. . Master Yen Sid. A wise and powerful wizard. Kinda like Twilight. . but ummm. . with centuries of wisdom and spells under his robes to boot. . no offense your highness." as he gestured to Celestia,"He's also was a Keyblade Master. .but retired. These days he offers wisdom and training to new Keyblade wielders who are chosen."

"Chosen? You mean like picked mayor for the day? Ooh that sounds wonderful. Can do whatever you want, eat all the sweets and when those nasty Heartless show up, you can pow! them on their heads and laugh all the while!" Pinkie Pie said with a grin. Mych and Zavier looked to one another before Zavier whispered,"You ever wonder that if she ever became a Heartless, she'd drive the others insane?" He coughed,"Probably defeat them with so many parties, they'd give up right there. . . hmmmm. . ."

The others leaned close as the two let their Keyblades give a few tugs,"Seems the door is in this forest. Deep I might add." Zavier pointed. Twilight hmmed, while pooling over her notes as Applejack spoke up,"Makes sense. All them attacks on the ponies few days ago, happened within an on the outskirts of Ever Free forest. Go fig that the door would be deep inside. . ahs if our job ain't hard nuff ahs is." Zavier looked over at the farm pony,"I don't follow." She kicked the ground with a hoof,"Well jes thought to say that Ever Free forest ain't z'actly friendly. Course wasn't friendly to ponies to begin with before the whole Heartless started comin out and causin trouble. Surprisin that Zecora was right at home in there."

Zavier turned and kneeled before the ponies,"So. . what can we expect then? What sort of. . unpleasant creatures are lurking about?" Fluttershy spoke up,"Well.. .you have Manticores. . .ooh. . and Cockatrices.. . " Applejack nodded,"Hmm. . got some Hydras.. .an some Timber wolves too for starters. That's just some of the critters in there. . also got plants as well. Should tell ya right now, ya ever come across a sea of blue flowers, ya best avoid those things like the flu. They called Poison Joke."

"Poison. . .Joke?" Mych looked at Applejack with some confusion. The white unicorn Rarity spoke up next,"Trust me dear, you get any of the pollen or touch the petals itself, you get messed up. . who ever planted it thought it would be humorous as the plant plays tricks on the pony exposed. Only there is nothing funny about having just horrible awful mane." Rainbow Dash who up to this point was quiet joined in,"Or have your wings mess up so badly, your crash into everything but the ground." Fluttershy murmured," Mess up your voice. . making you sound like a colt." The farm pony next,"Shrink you so small your little sister can dump ya on a tree branch an leave ya." Pinkie Pie,"Make your tongue inflate and you can't speak and instead sputter all over the place." Twilight was the last,"Or just mess with your horn, playing havoc on your magic." Mych and Zavier glanced to Celestia who gave a light shrug of the shoulders,"I am not aware as to its effects on me, to add to the contribution."

"A joke huh? Who ever harvested that plant sure had a twisted sense of humor." Zavier whispered to Mych,"Ditto." he replied and then drew in a breath,"Ok.. . no turning back once we enter. So. . if any per-I mean pony . . wants to back out now, I understand." None of them moved,"We're in this together. . .start what we finish and see it through to the end." Twilight said proudly. Zavier just smiled,"Well. .you heard them." He just chuckled and the group slowly entered into the dark forest and made their way deep into Ever Free forest.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ever Free Forest was a dark secluded place. While little light ever broke through over the huge leaf canopy above, it was not much of a threat during the day. Night was when ponies avoided the area as many nocturnal creatures emerged from their sleep to go about the night, seeking food or prey. . to eat. Zecora had called this place home for it held many plants and flowers which she used in her brews back at her hut. All in all Ever Free was just a mysterious forest that held some hidden beauty. Expect now.

Some of the ponies remarked, the presence of the forest felt. .darker. . more intimidating then their earlier ventures. Fluttershy huddled by her friends and hid her face under some manes since the trees looked more foreboding and scarier then they were before. Rainbow Dash remained grounded, despite the urges to fly on ahead. all for the safety of not getting tangled among the vines that looked more threatening and could break a wing to the unwary flyer. Rarity comforted the timid Fluttershy as she glanced around the scenery,"Any other pony agrees that the forest looks a little more. . .terrifying then when we were last here?" All nodded their head, save for Celestia and the two humans, the only sounds besides nervous breathing was hooves and shoes snapping twigs or crushing fallen leaves. And then came the hisses. Mych and Zavier held up their Keyblades in defense as the shadows shuddered and stretched, revealing Heartless pooling from the ground,"Looks like the welcome wagon is here." Rainbow Dash whispered as they back into a circle, Celestia being in the middle.

"Strike hard and fast, then try to make a break for it. Longer we stay in one spot, greater chance of being overwelmed." Zavier motioned before they were attacked. Twilight with the aide of Celestia drew up a barrier that the shadows bounced off, while Applejack and Rainbow Dash bucked those who drew too close. Mych and Zavier rushed forward clearing a path as Fluttershy hid under Rarity. . until she nudged her to move. The group made a break for it when the two wielders made a gap and the rest followed, Celestia with Twilight bringing up the rear. Running, ducking low hanging branches and taking out any ambushers, the group traveled deeper and deeper as the Heartless chased and nipped at their hooves. Mych paused to let Zavier take the lead, then fell back to help the alicorn and her protege from the worst of the horde coming up behind. They were making some progress until Zavier ran into . . .something. She collided and nearly fell back, almost landing over Fluttershy and Rarity while the rest bowled into the group.

Quick on her feet, Zavier whirled around and struck down three who pounced in eager hunger for more helpless ponies with hearts, while the rest untangled themselves,"Think there is a shield somewhere. . magic created. . .need to find a way around it or in!" Mych joined in and the two began a desperate stand to hold off the seemingly endless wave of Heartless and the Nobodies that were starting to join the fray. Keyblades hummed, Heartless fell and Nobodies hissed in defeat. . but those that fell were simply replaced by more, keeping the two wielders on guard. Twilight rushed to the front and pushed against the emptiness that was there, but to no avail,"Princess. . need some help here!" Celestia joined her student and with Rarity's aide, the two unicorns and alicorn, sought to find some weakness, some gap of this invisible wall. Applejack couldn't stand around nor could Rainbow Dash and the two joined in the battle, helping Mych and Zavier, leaving Fluttershy to help her friends.

Mych took a good glance then called out,"Where's Pinkie Pie?" Applejack shouted," Ah dunno she was with us when we were runnin!" Despite going over the shield, Twilight could feel her heart racing as nothing was revealing itself, no magic from hers, Rarity or even Celestia, revealed any chunks," Too many! Can't keep this up forever!" Zavier called from the back, screeches of the Dragoons joined the fray," I am unsuccessful Twilight. . its affect is foreign. Not doubt the one responsible for all of this. . I can't find a way in!" A crack! and a groan from the right drew their attention as a door slid open into black,"Yooohoooooo! Over here!" called a familiar voice and a pink leg waving from the inside. All of them made a break for it, Mych grabbing Rainbow Dash while Zavier plucked up Applejack,then leaped through the open door before it slammed shut, the pair now lost in the dark.

Inside small light from unicorn horns dimly lit the place as they sat there, breathing hard,"Great job you three." Mych said with a thumbs up. Twilight shook her head,"As much as we want to take credit for finding that door, it wasn't us." The two humans looked at each other then to the unicorn,"Then. . who. . ."

Pinkie Pie bounced up and down cheerily,"It was me!" Zavier pointed to her, then back to the barrier then back to the pink pony,"But how?. . . there was no way inside. And the unicorns along with Celestia couldn't find a way in with their magic. . how. . " The pony grinned,"Oh just one of my many talents that's always gotten us through in a pinch! Now whose hungry? I made all these cupcakes while waiting for you slow pokes and I'd hate to see them go to waste!" They just stared at her while her fellow friends just shrugged and accepted the sweet treats as she handed them around,"That's. . .not possible Zavier.. I mean. . ." he never finished as one pastry was shoved down his mouth silencing him, Pinkie Pie offering Zavier one. She just shrugged and accepted it, enjoying the sweet frosting and soft cake,"In times like these, its best never to ask how one reveals their secrets. You just be thankful it comes in handy. Sides. . she got us inside. . .where ever inside is."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Up in the castle's main hall, in the seating chambers, Nightmare Moon entered. Her Master was sitting atop the highest one, deep in thought as his fingers drummed on the arm rest,"Master... we have company." The dark alicorn whispered. He stirred then vanished among dark wisps, only to re-appear in front,"So. . . they got through the veil. Impressive. . for one who knows not the way in." Hands clasping behind his back, he left the chamber with the dark alicorn following,"How many?" he whispered. Nightmare nodded a bit nervous before replying,"The main six. . along with Celestia herself. . and the two Keyblade holders." He paused and then a soft chuckle bubbled from his form."Ahh so Celestia willingly comes to us. . .hmmm. . . I wonder if its a bold move. . or foolish act on her part. No matter, no matter. . . What truly makes this worthwhile. . .is the the Bearers of Harmony are here. . .along with the sun goddess. I shall truly enjoy myself this night. . ."

He beckoned and Nightmare Moon followed, down the bare hallway, with but the sounds of his footsteps and her hooves set upon the metallic floor. She could tell he was planning something for her hated rivals as well as his. . old friends as he called them. The question was, what did he have in store. .for the intruders?