• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 3,071 Views, 62 Comments

Keyblades in Equestria - Zeryurijin

  • ...
5
 62
 3,071

Assault and Arrival

The Door opens the way. ~Ansem

Inside the Ponyville library, a purple unicorn paced anxiously. Her number one assistant was upstairs sleeping after a hard day's work of information gathering and many messages that were sent to, and received from the Princess. Twilight was tired, but she could not sleep for even an instance. The threat in Ever Free forest was growing hour by hour. It had been three days since the one pony Sunflower, who had traveled into Ever Free disappeared. Three days since the search party that formed to find her also vanished without a trace, their torches and ropes found at the outskirts. Three days since strange dark shadowy creatures started to appear and attack any way ward pony who got too close. Even Zecora was forced to flee her hut when the danger presented itself. She was currently staying with Applejack and her family (much to the farm pony's dismay and Apple Bloom's eagerness.) Drawing in a deep breath that came out into a slow sigh, the unicorn poured over a blank book, one she pulled out for note taking.

The characteristics of these strange creatures still alludes me. So far from what we gathered is they are no bigger then a baby dragon, around Spike's height currently. They possess no mouths or nose, only two glowing yellow eyes. A set of antenna on the top of their heads could probably mean they use a different form of communication, like scent trails or maybe even telepathy. Short limbs and even shorter arms poke from their bodies and at first glance they appear harmless. This is false. As one victim who managed to escape with his life intact, stated,'They started acting funny like they had been drinking hard cider. And then suddenly they would pounce and attack like Timber wolves.' What makes it harder to believe is that they can flatten themselves completely, making any form of attack hard. Lately new ones have been showing up and even these are just as baffling. They are like. . a pony's shadow. Except they have the same physical traits as the others minus the antenna. What's more is their cutie marks are a brand or insignia that I can not name. ~ Twilight.

A sudden belch and a groan from upstairs informed Twilight that another message had arrived. Drawing closed her note book, she headed up the stairs and floated the scroll from the sleeping dragon's basket. It bore Celestia's mark and with eagerness Twilight opened the letter,"

Dear Twilight Sparkle

I have had my librarians in all of Canterlot pour over every book and reference in hopes of providing you an answer to the mark you have sent me. Sadly to say nothing of it has shown up any where. I am also sorry to inform you that Ever Free is not the only place these creatures have emerged. Lately they have appeared in the sub basement and dungeons of the castle. All current prisoners and guards have been forced to evacuate and the security doubled. My magic has had minimal effect on them as I am sure yours has had either. Luna my dear sister has also taken ill, her sickness strange and new, something the doctors have never seen or heard of. She lays in bed and mumbles about the darkness coming. I worry for her health and safety. If we can not stem this threat soon, I will send the Elements of Harmony to you and your friends. It is our last hope.

Sincerely

Princess Celestia

A knock on the door drew the pony's attention away from her letter as a soft, timid voice muffled,"U.. um. . Twilight. . can I come in?" The unicorn opened the door with her magic, allowing a butter cream pegasus with pink flowing mane and tail to enter. She was covered in bags and satchel full of animals,"Yikes! Fluttershy what is going on?" The unicorn asked while glancing at so many critters. She landed and fidgeted softly for a moment before Angel, her bunny thumped on her head with some annoyance,"O .oh!. . .I was. . forced to evacuate from my home. . t. .the royal guards came. .t ..told me the forest was not safe. . .I. . .I had to gather all my little friends.. I'm so worried about what those awful things might do to them." Twilight looked at all the bags then to Fluttershy,"So. . .what are you gonna do with all of them?" Those soft eyes looked up and she nervously replied,"I.. I don't know...I thought Rarity could help. .you know. B. .but.. she wasn't fond about so many animals making a mess in her boutique. I tried Pinkie Pie's place next. . But Mr. and Mrs Cake didn't feel comfortable with all of them running around in the shop, gobbling up their treats. I thought.. maybe. . .you know.. they could stay here. . for a little bit."

Twilight looked at them all, her expression was between guilt of turning her friend down and worry of what they might do to all the books in her home. Fluttershy's eyes started to tear up, making the unicorn feel horrible for denying her friend, even if she didn't speak it. Before Twilight could give a clear answer, Spike woke with a yelp! and a loud groan before a rather large belch lit up the inside of the unicorn's home for a brief moment. The fire died out and a loud oof! sounded as something landed atop the baby dragon,"Twilight. . ." Spike moaned,"I think its for you. . . ."

Twilight came down stairs, carrying a wooden rectangular box. Fluttershy knew what was inside, which could only mean that things in Ponyville were getting worse. Both friends looked each other in the eye before the unicorn spoke,"Get Rainbow Dash and Applejack as fast as you can. I'll fetch Pinkie Pie and Rarity. We've got a job to do. . time to save Equestria!. . . .again. . . for the third time. . . .yeah." Fluttershy nudged her and softly spoke,"Think we might get vacation time out of this?" Twilight wondered this herself as the two started out the door,"Ooh!. . but. . my little animal friends." There really wasn't time to debate this, so the unicorn nodded and called out,"Spike I'm heading out with Fluttershy to gather the rest of the crew and then try and stop this threat. Keep an eye on Fluttershy's pets will you?" The door closed as a startled cry of,"What?!" echoed from upstairs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As Fluttershy headed to Cloudsdale and Sweet Apple Acres farm, Twilight traveled to Sugar Cube Corner and the Carasol Boutique. All around, she watched other ponies packing up their belongings, putting together wagons and taking the path to either Canterlot where they felt safer. Or to lands away from Ever Free Forest itself. There was tension in the air, a hint of fear and anxiety in every pony that was mixed in. Never had the unicorn felt this flood of emotions, not since Nightmare Moons' return years earlier. This was different. Back then she and her friends knew who they were up against, had the means to defeat her and save Ponyville. This new threat. . .it was. . . . different. Like it was never meant to invade Equestria let alone exist. And yet by unknown means it had found a way. Like a bad dream a pony never wanted to get but was caught by surprise.

At Sugar Cube Corner, Pinkie Pie was more then happy to wear the Element of Laughter once again,"If it chases those black meanies away and save all the cakes, candies, and especially those cupcakes that Mr. and Mrs Cake made, you can count on me!" Course the pink pony was gobbling down some cake at the time, so it sounded more like,"Mmrmgmmmmf. . .rmmgmmgrgmmmffm mmgmmmmrfmmgm. Gmmrmgmmf!" Next stop was Rarity's shop. The snow white unicorn with violet mane and tail styled in such glammer had no problem joining the crew once again to end this nuisence,"Those ugly little creatures are chasing away potential customers. Honestly, how is a mare supposed to make a living when some thing just has to show its ghastly face and make trouble for every pony."

The six were to meet near Town Hall which was at the center of Ponyville. Fluttershy was there already with Rainbow Dash and Applejack. The trio were pleased to see Rarity and Pinkie Pie along with Twilight and the group huddled up,"Alright girls. Lets show this shadowy force that we are NOT to be reckoned with nor take kindly to threats." "You said it, Twi. Lets pop these punks right in the kisser and show them whose boss!" Rainbow Dash said with a fierce grin,"Ah reckon they'll think twice before causin any trouble round here again, ah promise ya that, sugar cube." pipped in Applejack. All six joined hooves in the middle,"For friendship!"

FOR FRIENDSHIP!

A deep rumble beneath the ground cut the victory chant rather short. The unicorn and earth ponies were stumbling about while Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were looking around frantically trying to find the source," What in tarnation?! An earthquake?!," Applejack called out as she hugged a lamp pole to keep from bouncing all over the place. A huge crack! erupted behind the six and all heads turned to see the Town Hall collapse beneath some invisible hole the opened up out of no where. Wood snapped, beams shattered and glass broke as the building all but disappeared. And then. .the shaking stopped. What followed next was something no pony ever expected. A huge black arm rose up from the ground and grabbed the edge. Fluttershy squeaked and froze up, nearly knocking herself out were it not for Rainbow Dash's quick flying. Setting her friend on the ground, they turned and watched as this huge dark figure climbed from the hole,"I. . I thought we were battling black icky bugs! No pony mentioned we were gonna go against some GIANT!" Rarity cried out.

Even Twilight was shocked and stunned as this new creature settled on the ground in front of them. This one. . was different in shape and form. It was. . .well it was big.. Its limbs were far too big and long for its body while the torso and legs looked too short to support its weight. The face. . it was all wrong as well. Two yellow eyes stared out in front while its nose stuck out beneath them. If it had a mouth there was no telling where it was, for it wore a black scarf around the lower half of the face, concealing any other features to further distinguish it from the others. Its mane was clumped and seemed to weave like little black snakes while small tiny black wings could be seen coming from the shoulders. But what truly made this creature bizarre. . and frightening, was the heart shaped hole in its chest.

It slowly looked from left to right as the six gathered. Then it peered down. . .and spotted them,"Ah guys. I don't mean to be obvious but. .I think it knows we're here!" Rainbow Dash pointed out. The rest scattered as one limb rose up and then drove down quickly to where they were just standing. As they recovered Twilight could see a dark pool forming around where its "hoof" had vanished beneath the ground.. and then. . those black shadow creatures were emerging. Ten, twenty, Twilight stopped when it reached forty. This wasn't just another snatch n grab like before. This was an all out attack on Ponyville itself.

Screams and shouts rose from all over town as those things scurried about, spreading through like locusts in a corn field. Twilight grabbed the box which held their necklaces and tiara, dumped them on the ground then called to each pony to take up their Element. Rainbow Dash wore Loyalty, Fluttershy Kindness. Rarity adorned Generosity, Applejack took up Honestly. Pinkie Pie put on Laughter while Twilight wore the tiara signifying Magic. Closing her eyes, Twilight concentrated as did the other five. The necklaces began to glow as the Elements awakened. Each pony's power flowed through them joining Twilight at the center. Eyes opened and white pure light erupted from the unicorn as she channeled all her friends and her power into Harmony itself. The dark giant paused and seem to shiver as it felt this strange presence before. Then a rainbow shot from the six, rose to sky above them and zeroed in on the monster. All six watched as the dark giant rose an arm to deflect the Elements of Harmony. When it hit, there was a great flash as the creature shuddered, no sounds of cries of agony as it was swallowed up by the magical effect. And then . .something strange happened. The Elements of Harmony suddenly shot up towards the sky, leaving the dark monster there, dazed and confused. Twilight, Applejack, Pinke Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity watched as their power kept climbing and climbing,"Ah...ah never seen it do that before!" Applejack uttered in shock,"It...it failed. . .the Elements failed, those things are still here!" Eyes turned as worry took hold,"W. . what do we do now? That. . was our last and only chance."

A loud boom sounded from above the vibrations of its effect knocked every pony down,"Dang!. . .that was like. .the biggest Sonic Rainboom ever.." Rainbow Dash said while looking up,"Course. .it needs to be twenty percent cooler, you know?" Fluttershy pointed,"Is.. ..is. . that a heart.. in the sky?" Every pony paused to look up at the strange wonder. In Canterlot, Celestia gazed from her balcony in awe as she had witnessed the Elements ascend to the heavens. Then. . a column of light poured from the center of the heart that materialized from nothing and she felt a hum of power. . two hums.. .start to fall,"By my horn. . . what is going on?" The Alicorn whispered. Back in Ponyville, Rarity managed to speak,"Look at them. . .its like their. . entranced by it." Twilight took a look at her surroundings and found that the unicorn was right. All of them. . all the shadow creatures were looking up at the sky. The heart in the sky seemed to have a hypnotic effect on them. They reached up with their limbs and clawed fingers, struggling in vain as though they desperately wanted it. While they watched, Twilight and Rarity soon felt the twin hums of power falling. It was resonating in the sky but from the feel of things, it or they were falling. Neither pony knew what to make of it until a voice called out from above:

AEROAGA!

A huge twister erupted from the ruins of the Town Hall. Twilight and her fellow ponies shrieked in shock and clung on to what ever was bolted to the ground and held on for dear life. The shadow creatures were sent sprawling in all directions and the huge shadow giant almost collapsed on itself. As the winds howled all around them, Twilight watched as the monster was. . shrinking, no.. being compacted as this gale force was starting to close in on it. And then. . two beings landed on its head, causing it to flatten on the ground and the figures did an impressive leap only to land a few inches from the dark entity. Twilight barely had time to consider what these things were, when the tall once pointed out,"We got a Darkside here!" the voice sounding like it belonged to a stallion pony. The smaller motioned with a small limb,"Shadows as well, closing all around!" its voice more feminine like a mare. A loud clang! was heard and Twilight felt those hums of power explode in the pairs "hooves." Soon she was staring at these strange objects the creatures were holding. What ever they were, it was the source of the humming she and Rarity had felt mere minutes ago. And then a strange high pitched noise sounded. The rest of the gang joined up, just in time to see the shadow creatures shudder in a frenzy then launched themselves at the two strangers. The ponies could not even cry out a warning as the tall one merely called out,"Here they come!"