• Published 12th May 2013
  • 4,766 Views, 360 Comments

Heart of Raven Black - Vin Diesels Go-Kart



A high ranking member of the Order of the Raven, Daniel Miller has arrived in Equestria in search of his missing brother. However, other factors are at play in the Zealot's mind.

  • ...
11
 360
 4,766

Chapter 13: April Fools' Day

"That is quite the tale, Daniel." Comstock said with a bit of skepticism. "All of it just sounds so far fetched, its hard to look past the insanity of it."

"I understand, Prophet. If I were in your position, I'd most likely be just as skeptical, but I swear to you it's the truth." Daniel assured. The bottle of scotch was now almost empty, a result that Daniel had expected when he began his tale of mythical creatures, talking ponies, and princesses that could control things like the sun and moon.

"How much do these heathens know?" the Prophet asked. Daniel looked up at him, a bit surprised by the question.

"Nothing important. After the entrance Columbia made, I doubt there are any in this land who are not aware of the city's presence, but that is all they know. I did not reveal anything about our plans to move the city nor about what would take place after that." the Zealot got up and walked over to a nearby window, watching outside as some guards were struggling to load a Motorized Patriot onto an airship. Comstock got up as well, capping the scotch and walking over to the Crow.

"So, they have no God, but worship these things....these......"

"Princesses." Daniel finished. "Yes that was the impression I got when I was down there. Other than that, the society seems mainly secular."

"A world of non-believers, obsessed with the worship of physical deities and ungodly magics." the Prophet laughed. "It's almost as if we never left home behind. Presidents, princesses, it's all the same, isn't it?"

"So your plans have not changed, given the circumstances?"

"Not at all. It doesn't matter what world we are in, or whether or not my daughter is here to lead it. What matters is that the prophecy has been declared and I will see that it comes to pass, even in this Sodom."

Daniel nodded. "Very well, my Prophet."

"How will we know if this plan of your's worked? Is there even a way to determine if we escaped the destruction?"

Daniel turned to him. "No, not to my knowledge. I suppose every day we go on existing is another small piece of assurance that we succeeded, but honestly the concept of time between worlds is still completely unknown to me, as I suspect it even eludes the self proclaimed 'keepers'. There isn't really a way to tell how far along the lamb and shepherd are, if they haven't concluded their journey already." he resumed staring out the window. "But there is nothing more I can do. It's in God's hands now."

Comstock nodded and looked out the window as well. "I have a proposition for you Daniel. You have shown exceptional skill and loyalty in your recent actions. Columbia owes you greatly for saving her, as do I." the Zealot shifted his eyes over to the Prophet curiously. "I do not believe there is anyone better suited to lead the planned surface operations, once preparations are complete, than you. It would be an honor to have you as my Field Marshal down there in this new Sodom."

Daniel was taken by surprise at this news. Sure, he had expected some sort of commendation for his efforts, perhaps a standing ovation or a parade, but to be promoted to Field Marshal? He was no soldier, nor did he feel comfortable commanding other soldiers in combat.

"I'm honored that you would see me as suited for such a prestigious position, my Prophet." the Crow said earnestly. "But I do not wish to spend anymore time down on the surface. I could not see myself as an effective leader in any ranked military."

Comstock eyed the Zealot curiously. "I beg to differ, my boy. You are a sterling example of leadership and valor. Even in times of great emotional duress, you still managed to keep your goals the main focus and stick to your mission. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to learn of your brother's death, but even still you put those thoughts aside and kept their influence over you to a minimum."

"With all due respect, sir..." Daniel interrupted. "My brother's death had nothing to do with my decision making down below. I had already mourned his loss even before reaching this world. I was not expecting to find him alive and well in this alien land. That would have been an optimistic delusion at best." the Crow quickly changed subjects, not wanting to talk about his brother. "In any case, I really must decline your offer. There are still things that I must finish here in Columbia now that this distraction has been dealt with."

"So what will you do instead, if you don't mind my asking." the Prophet asked.

"Of course not, sir. I am quite eager to resume what I was doing before learning of Booker and Elizabeth's inevitable journey."

"Which is?"

Daniel stared at the older man intently. "Finding our lady's murderer and mounting her head on a spike."

Comstock turned away from the Zealot upon hearing this, hiding his face. "I see Jeremiah's news on Fitzroy has sparked some interest. I understand completely Daniel. You have my blessings to resume your search for Daisy."

Daniel bowed. "Thank you my Prophet, I will continue my search immediately." He went for the door, but Comstock quickly grabbed a shoulder, softly but firmly.

"When you find the traitor, make sure you kill her on sight. There will be no prisoners, understand?"

The Crow and Prophet looked into each other's eyes, as if searching for something hidden within them. "Understood."

Comstock nodded and released his grip, allowing the Zealot to continue for the door. "Oh, and Daniel." he said quickly, catching the Crow right as he was in the threshold. He turned and looked at the bearded man. "Whatever happened to Jenkins and the Boys?"

Daniel's eyes went wide as he remembered what he had said to Jenkins right before he left. "Oh, shit." he muttered. Somehow, the Crow had completely forgotten about them. "A certain Handyman is going to be none too pleased with me." he commented, then quickly left the office to find an available airship.

* * *

By the time Twilight made it to the town hall, it was in a chaos that would have made Discord proud. Ponies from all over town had converged to the hall to voice their concerns and demand information on the events that took place in the sky. The mayor was trying desperately to deal with the onslaught of inquiries, but when Twilight entered the building through the crowd of ponies, many started asking her similar questions.

"Jeez, you'd think with all the stuff that goes on in this town all the time, a flash of light and some banging would go right over these ponies' heads." Spike yelled as he covered his ears.

Quickly, the guards kept the scared citizens at bay long enough for the princess to reach Commander Frost Fallen's temporary base of operations, which was set up in one of the town hall's vacant offices. The young commander was as straight forward and by the book as they came. He had started out his military career as a lowly grunt, but eventually made his way up the ranks. Nothing special to his story by any means. He simply did things right and how the older officers preferred them to be done. Some of his men called him a brown noser behind closed doors, but had enough respect for Frost that nopony gave him too much of a hard time when the commander was on duty.

"Your Majesty." the commander addressed, he and his subordinates bowing upon her entry. "I was just about to send word to you when my men reported the strange occurrence over the Everfree Forest. I'm actually in the process of sending a scouting party...."

"No need, Commander." the princess hastily replied, cutting him off. "I need to go to Canterlot for an emergency meeting with whatever diplomats are there or can be there within the next two hours. I don't want anypony going near the Everfree Forest until I say otherwise. I also need you to send some guards to find the other Elements of Harmony." the princess levitated a piece of paper over to Frost. "Here is a list of their last known locations. When you find them, tell them to wait at the hospital until I return."

The commander nodded and grabbed the list with a hoof, tucking it safely under his wing. "Understood. Shall I prepare a chariot for you?"

"That's alright, Frost. I can teleport there much faster." the alicorn replied. She then turned to Spike. "I need you to wait at the hospital as well. Keep an eye on Rainbow Dash. As soon as she wakes up, send me a letter." she handed him her Element, its red lightning bolt reflecting his worried expression. "Keep this safe."

The dragon nodded. "Are you gonna be okay on your own?"

"Don't worry, I won't be alone." Twilight reassured. "Stay safe, okay?"

"You too."

The princess exited the town hall, barely making it through the ponies who were still gathering there. Luckily, the Royal Guard had already begun dispersing them. Twilight found an open area and focused her energy. Her horn lit up and she was quickly covered in a purple aura. In the blink of an eye, the princess was gone.

* * *

"We're right near the forest. Just descend past the clouds and look for all the stupid trees that are huddled together. Then shoot the flare gun over the forest, and Jenkins will shoot his flare back. That's all you have to do." Daniel said impatiently to the pilot.

"I don't know sir, what if there are other forests....?"

"Look, it's the one right below us. This isn't that complicated."

"Can't you just come with me and direct me...."

"NO! You're a grown ass man, now start acting like it." the pilot shook his head, but started the airship anyway and flew down below the platform, the sound of the ship's rockets getting quieter as it entered the clouds. Daniel turned around to find Saltonstall standing right behind him. If the Crow had been easily startled, he probably would have jumped and fallen right off the edge of the platform.

"Hello there Daniel. Long time no see." the old man said, louder than warranted.

"Saltonstall, still sneaking up on people who want nothing to do with you, it seems." the Zealot replied, irritated.

"Yes, yes. Let's start with the petty hostility. Normally, I wouldn't even bother welcoming you back to the city, but since you apparently saved our beloved Columbia, I suppose I should offer you my thanks." he said, straightening up.

"Don't mention it." the Crow said dismissively, walking past the elderly politician.

"I hear Comstock has big plans for this new world." Saltonstall said, causing Daniel to stop.

"Oh?" the Zealot said, not turning around.

"Yes, It seems he's still going to bring about his vision of a new future, grown from the scorched earth of the soon to be dead past that is there now."

"Fascinating." Daniel said half-heatedly. He started walking away again.

"Do you agree with this course of action? Do you feel these heretics deserve what is inevitably coming their way?"

"I agree with whatever Comstock decides to do. As I'm sure you do as well." the Crow replied right before stepping out of earshot. He didn't try to hide his utter annoyance with that dinosaur of a man. Saltonstall didn't do much politically these days. He usually just made noise in some pathetic attempt to show his support for Comstock, and would often "test" the loyalties of the other founders as if he were some secret police. In all honesty, Daniel hoped that he and Fink would fight it out soon and save him a few headaches. It was no secret that the two didn't care much for each other, and it would be an entertaining political battle to witness.

The Zealot felt pressure on his right shoulder, turning his head and finding the raven perched there. "What have you been up to?"

The bird cawed. "Well you took your sweet time getting up here."

It cawed again. "No, that was it for the surface. Now we go for Daisy, and we don't stop until she is lying on the ground in a pool of her own blood." he declared. The raven cawed excitedly. "It's time to pay Shantytown a visit." Daniel said.

"Hey, Danny boy! How the hell are ya?" someone shouted to him. The Zealot turned to see the Dock Overseer, Steve Baker standing at a nearby loading dock. Daniel could tell he'd been working all day. His shirt was covered in muck and oil, and his tired eyes seemed to beg for sleep. Steve was an older man who's indifference toward most things was only matched by his constantly and surprisingly upbeat attitude. He was leaning over the control pad of a large crane as it slowly lifted a turret off the loading dock and onto a waiting airship.

"Mr. Baker, hard at work I see." the Crow replied.

"Yeah, I just got orders from the boys upstairs. Jackasses have me out here off the clock cause apparently they want the warships stocked and ready to go. They want every Security Zeppelin from here to Emporia outfitted with the latest rocket launchers." he sighed. "I tell ya Danny, you should have just let us all fry and given my tired bones a rest." he joked, though Daniel could sense some honesty in his words.

"Yeah, well I doubt we'll even need the warships anyway. There's nothing down there worth using a rocket launcher on." he assured.

The Overseer laughed. "That supposed to make me feel better? You're tellin me I'm doin all this work for nothin, ya bastard?"

"That's what I'm here for, Steve." the Crow smiled. Daniel noticed several of the other workers dropping their tools and looking out in the distance, shading their eyes and pointing at something in the sky.

"Hey Danny, what do ya make of that?" Baker asked, pointing to the object that had captured everyone's attention. The Zealot cupped his eyes and looked out over the clouds. The object looked to be gliding through the sky slowly, and at first he thought it was that idiot pilot he'd sent to retrieve Jenkins, but then it made a movement that suggested it was organic.

"Man, they got some big ass birds here." an onlooking worker commented. It now got close enough that Daniel could see it in more detail. It was dark green with orange spines on its back, its immense size becoming more apparent by the second. Another flap of its large wings confirmed the Crow's suspicions and he quickly turned back to Steve.

"You have to take cover, now!" he shouted, pushing the Overseer toward a nearby warehouse. The other workers followed him, dropping what they were doing and sprinting to the structure upon realizing what was headed their way. Daniel acted fast, turning on as many turrets as he could with the few seconds of time that he had. The automated weapons' lights instantly turned red as they acquired their target, low hums coming from the gear works when they spun to take aim. The Zealot didn't know what else to do. Workers were still running in different directions, yelling in confused fear as the dragon reached the platform and unleashed its first attack.

Daniel ran for cover as the flames came down, watching as the Gun Automatons opened fire on the passing dragon. The Maxim guns seemed to be penetrating the beast's scaly hide, but it continued to fly strong as it turned once again.

Just my luck that I didn't turn on any Rocket Automatons. The Crow thought. He then noticed some of the flames from the first attack as they reached an oil spill, immediately lighting it ablaze. The flames followed the trail of liquid all the way to a nearby tank.

"Get down!" he shouted to the nearby workers just as the tanker exploded. The Zealot shielded himself from the incredible heat that emanated from the blast, watching as three unfortunate workers were caught in the blaze. Several soldiers ran out onto the docks, joining in with the turrets as they engaged the dragon that was flying back down. It landed on the docks with a loud thud, using its tail to crush several of the turrets and bashing four soldiers with a claw, sending two flying off the edge.

All of the troops took cover; some reloading, others pulling out heavier weapons. Right before they reengaged, another dragon flew in from out of nowhere, landing right next to the first. Daniel cursed his luck, but then noticed a statue sitting only a few feet away. He immediately realized it was part of the Songbird Defense System and ran over while the soldiers distracted the two creatures.

"Where the hell is the manual override button?" the Crow asked out loud. Normally the statues only worked when they sensed another individual in Elizabeth's vicinity, making them useless after her departure, but Daniel knew there was a way to activate them by hand.

The dragons took out five more soldiers as the Zealot searched for the button, eventually finding it behind the statues' right thigh. Pressing the button, the statue seemingly came to life. Daniel recognized the notes C,A,G, and E as they played in the tune. A soldier took cover next to Daniel, catching his breath and reloading his RPG.

"That thing coming or what?" he asked the Crow, breathing heavily.

"Any minute now." Daniel replied. The soldier was about to fire the rocket, but the Crow quickly stopped him.

"Hold on." he said, charging a hand up and pointing it at the two dragons. The first dragon was weakening, clearly taking a large amount of damage from all of the ordinance that was being fired upon it, but the other was still fighting strong, sending fire in different directions and keeping the other soldiers at bay. Daniel sent several flocks of crows at the two beasts, which quickly went for their eyes, distracting the dragons and stopping their attacks. "Okay, go ahead."

The trooper smiled and took aim at the first of the creatures, squeezing the trigger system and sending an RPG flying right into the dragon's face. With a loud roar, it fell to the ground, shaking the docks. "Hell yeah!" the soldier shouted, cranking the handle on the weapon and preparing another rocket. Just then, they all heard the familiar screeching and wailing of their backup. A shadow flew past Daniel and the soldier, who both looked up to see the Songbird flying directly at the remaining dragon. While the dragon was clearly larger than the mechanical bird, its ferocity left much to be desired.

Before the reptile could even react, Songbird slammed into its side and brought it down to the ground. With a sharpened, metal talon, it stabbed the dragon several times in the stomach and pounded its head with a fist, causing blood to spatter in its already crimson eyes. The dragon could do nothing but lie there as the large bird continued its anger filled assault, plunging its large talons into the beast while keeping the creature's wings pinned to the ground with its feet. The dragon roared weakly as Songbird slowed its stabbing, cocking its head curiously as it observed the dragons breathing, which was slowing down. Lungs punctured and bleeding out, the reptile lasted only minutes after the bird dismounted it and moved to the side. The Songbird looked around the docks, making sure no other threats were around, before transitioning its eyes back to yellow and flying off into the sky with another loud wail.

Ever since Elizabeth's departure, Daniel never saw the bird's eyes turn green, and wondered if they ever would again. Songbird was attached to the girl at a level that not even the Zealot could empathize with. Even still, he felt like he knew what the Songbird was going through. Losing the thing you were sworn to protect and being left with no purpose in life. That's how Daniel felt when he had lost Lady Comstock.

The Zealot lowered his head, remembering that he was not without purpose. Until Daisy was dead, he would still have a reason for walking this earth. And on that note, he started walking to the end of the docks. Steve Baker and the other workers cautiously exited the warehouse, while the soldiers approached the two dead dragons.

"Holy shit. Are those fucking dragons?" one asked, looking the carcass over.

"Sure looks like it. Definitely a big flying lizard that's for sure." another commented.

"Damn, this place is fucked up if its got these things flyin around. Hey Tommy, get a camera and take my picture with this big bastard!" a third said, climbing on top of the beast and striking a pose. None of them noticed the Zealot disperse into crows and fly with the raven toward Shantytown.