Looking for Editors 5,417 members · 3,383 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
TheMajorTechie
Group Admin

Requesting Editors

Writing a story can be daunting! Editors can help with a wide variety of tasks such as bouncing ideas, checking for continuity errors, or simply being a second set of eyes.

Generally, you'd want to provide at minimum what you would see on your story's page. This may include, but isn't limited to the following:

• Name of story (with a link--more on that later!)
  • Genre(s) and any additional tags, including content warning tags such as gore, sex, etc.
  • Length/planned length of your work
  • A synopsis of the work: what is it about? Pitch your story to the editors, basically.
  • The request itself - what are you looking for in the editing work you want? Grammar? Continuity? Things like that.

Linking your story properly is important!

Mature stories must be embedded using Fimfiction's [embed][/embed] tags if published, and if unpublished, cannot be directly linked. Instead, offer the link in private to anyone who may be interested. In these cases, the synopsis you provide will be what potential editors rely on for information about your work until you give them the link.

When linking unpublished stories or chapters on Fimfiction, remember to provide an "unpublished view password", which you can set in your story's settings. This can be found right below the story's "long description" box! Remember, it's for unpublished viewing. The edits themselves will have to be suggested either over PMs, or on a collaborative platform of some kind, such as Google Docs.

Speaking of which, now's the perfect time to talk about Google Docs and other platforms that allow folks to collaborate on a single document! If you include a public link to a Google Doc, make sure you have it set to at minimum commenting-only, but ideally view-only until you're sure you have an editor willing to help. This is to ensure that nobody is able to trash your work with unwanted edits and additions. Once you know you have someone willing to help out, be sure to take down the public link, and share the work privately with them using their email address or other identification method.

Offering editing services

So, you feel like your noggin muscles are developed enough to help out other struggling authors, eh?

In many ways, offering editing services instead of requesting them works in a similar way. Here are some suggestions on what you can include in your posts:

• Provide examples of your work! If possible, a before and after can go a long way, but the finished piece will still do just fine in any case!
  • What will you be providing? Are you only willing to correct grammar, or do you plan on working closely with the author to ensure peak story delivery?
  • What are you willing to work with? Do you dislike a certain genre? Do you have phobias that you think people need to know about? What's the maximum story length you'll work with? (Or, if you're offering paid service, what's the maximum you'll work with for a certain price tier, if any?)

And an extra pro-tip for those who are offering paid services: make sure that the pricing matches the quality or number of services provided! People don't like to be scammed, and this goes for buyers, too! A good way to go about transferring money is to have half be paid upfront, and the other half once the work is complete. This lessens the blow in the case of scams, and ensures that the person providing the editing service is at least partially compensated for whatever work they do.

The notes about how to share links still apply here as well, with the added note of "don't be a jerk". Nobody likes a party pooper, and folks most likely would rather not see their work being trashed or stolen by the person they trusted it to.

And that's it for now! If you have any additional suggestions on what should be added here, feel free to discuss in this thread!

What's the policy on thread bumps or reposting if nobody volunteers the first time around?

TheMajorTechie
Group Admin

Hm. Once a week you can make a new post, but delete the old one to not flood the group.

Can we ask for a certain question about an unpublished story we have?

do i need use google doc link or another type of link to the story?

So...I don't really have a story to EDIT at the moment so much as an idea I've been playing with that I need a sounding board for. Someone to bounce ideas off of and talk about to help me work out the weak points since I think the idea has merit...possibly. And I'm not sure I want to share the idea publicly when it's in the larval stage. Would it be okay for me to just request help? The story's a crossover and I know the elements of the crossover, and the kind of background my sounding board would need. Is that too vague?

TheMajorTechie
Group Admin

should be fine. you could maybe tag the thread as [discussion] in the title so people know what it's for

So I'm cowriting a story with a good friend of mine. But neither of us know how to write clop scenes, and we could do with the help. Any help would be appreciated if anyone is interested. I can be contacted by PM or message my friend, KukriRyuTsukino, for more. We have a clop scene already in the story, but the coauthor stopped talking with us. So any help would be appreciated. Please look for the story Magical Hearts to know more about the story. Please and thank you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9