The New Lunar Republic 1,790 members · 768 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Ever since my entry to the fandom in late 2016 or so, I've always held a certain fondness for Princess Luna. I don't know if it was the design or the archaic speech quirks or the backstory or some combination of all of it, but the Princess of the Night quickly ascended to the spot of Favorite Pony. I mean, I like Celestia too, but I seem to gravitate more towards Luna.

Then Season Nine happened. The Sisters announced their retirement.

And my little Luna-loving heart was crushed.

It's not like she died or anything, but it still feels like things won't be the same without Celestia and Luna ruling over Equestria together. It's just such a radical way to end things that I had a hard time (and still have a hard time) adjusting to it, and many others will likely share that sentiment.

I'm not gonna lie, I actually had a hard time involving myself with anything having to do with Luna after that. It just felt like an old wound whose pain would never truly go away. I know that sounds a bit dramatic and embellished–it wasn't quite that serious–but I think you get the idea.

And then they released Between Dark and Dawn, which turned out to be almost twenty minutes of what I never knew I wanted: Celestia and Luna frolicking around, having adventures and down-time, maybe getting into a little spat but then coming together again.

But more importantly, it reminded me of why I love Luna so much.

I realize now that she's a lot like me in many regards. Whereas most people like to go on wild, adventurous vacations, Luna would much rather find a quiet spot to read a book, or geek-out over something she's always wanted to see. The post office scene is one of my favorite Luna moments ever. As somebody who's nigh-obsessed with science fiction tales of genetically engineered dinosaurs, extraterrestrial conquests, and ancient, gigantic beasts of destruction, I could kind of sympathize with her being excited about something that not many others around her might share. Watching this episode, I felt a new kind of connection with the character. I feel like I can identify with her more than ever now.

I've pretty much made peace with the idea of Celestia and Luna retiring. Don't get me wrong, there's still problems with it that I hope will be addressed in the coming episodes, but I'm not as broken up over it as I was previously. Luna may be off the throne, but her character will live on.

In fact, now that I think of it, I really want to see a show where Celestia and Luna go on adventures all over Equestria, and maybe to other worlds as well. I know it will never happen, but it never hurts to dream. And something tells me she'd share that sentiment as well.

Luna is Best Pony.

Long Live the New Lunar Republic.

Man, i totally agree with you, about everything that you just said, and as well, Long live the new lunar republic, brother.

I have so many conflicting thoughts on the Princess' retirement. On the one hand, it basically means Twilight's friendship with everyone else has to start to fade, given that she is the god-empress now and everypony else still has their normal lives. Also, Twilight taking over is removing the Sun Tyrant from power....

Ah, screw it. This whole thing is just part of the Night's plans- she'll trap the tyrant somewhere, come back, and rule alongside Twilight.

Long live the NLR

o7

I have trouble following your logic of loving Luna less because she goes into retirement.

I didn't see it like that, yet..... When Luna retires, she isn't ruling anymore. When she isn't ruling anymore, there can't be a New Lunar Republic anymore. And I could barely do anything as NLR member, because its members have been scattered into all corners of the fandom way before I came into the fandom and because another ugly thing that prevented me from joining the only gathering place of NLR members that I know.
It hurts to think of that. :applecry:

On the one hand, it basically means Twilight's friendship with everyone else has to start to fade

But where do you get that idea from? Twilight's friendship with the others won't fade just because she becomes ruler of Equestria.

We obviously won't see it in the show, but it's just what happens as people drift apart. They will still call each other friends, but as friends contact less and less the friendship wanes. With Twilight busy ruling the country and maintaining the world (which will be a full-time job, by the way, if there isn't a second ascension to get someone to help with the whole sun/moon thing. Unless Luna/Celestia are still going to raise/lower the moon and they just aren't the gov anymore.), she will not have time to do the whole adventure thing. Just look at Celestia- she's got an equally powerful sister to help half the time, and she still is so busy she can't even be bothered to go deal with world-ending threats.

Besides scheduling issues is the physical distance. Twilight will have to take up residency in Canterlot. I mean she could just move the capital wherever she wanted, but she is a practical pony and would likely see that as the pointless and tremendously expensive change it would be, given that a capital city needs to be- well- a city, not a hamlet. So she lives in Canterlot now, and when she does have free time she certainly doesn't have enough to travel to Ponyville all the time.

And Twilight ruling is the end of her arc. All of her friends have their own goals and aspirations- the other's of the Mane 6 have not devoted their lives, defined there being, as friends to the Princess. Applejack is still all about the family farm- she might come be on Twilight cabinent for a bit, but eventually she'd be pulled back to her home. Rainbowdash is a member of a quasi-military team, and so she's often going to be all over Equestria. (This was already explored in that episode that I can't remember the name of where Pinkie spergs out about Rainbow being away. See 'Dawn Somewhere's Peel-Off Nanalysis on Rainbow Dash.) Rarity is managing a growing fashion empire, opening more and more stores throughout the world during the show. She could probably move out to Canterlot. Fluttershy wouldn't want to leave all of her animal friends near the Everfree. Pinkie is a grifter so she could and probably would move with Twilight and declare herself 'royal party-haver' or something. She has basically no real reason to stay in Ponyville, and we already know that she is capable of leading a nomadic life. Starlight may want to follow Twilight, but with Twilight taking the throne someone has to manage her School and Guidance Counselor Glim-Glam, job prospects 0 otherwise, would be a good pick.

Anyway with the spaghetti thrown everywhere my whole point is that everyone's lives continue and Twilight is busy and distant. Some would probably stay closer friends, but unless the Main 7 are all NPC's with no drive other than 'be near Twilight' they will drift. Her ruling will break up the group, and the elements will pass on to others, like the young 6 or whatever they are called.

Plus the whole Twilight being eternal and all of her friends having maybe 40-50 years left thing.

Twilight would never do that. I'm not just saying that because the thought of their friendship waning makes me sad. It's just not something Twilight would do. Yes, she will have a ton of duties that won't leave her much time for anything else anymore. But she will have some freetime. And with how much Twilight's friends mean to her (she moved to a different town for them), she will use every free minute to see them, or, at least one of them at a time if they can't all get together in one big gathering.
And you also overlooked something in an episode. "Between Dark and Dawn" has shown Twilight learning that a lot of Luna's and Celestia's work is done by delegates who help them. It won't be too big of an issue to relocate some duties to a couple delegates to head to Ponyville for a day.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8