Action Stories 650 members · 1,438 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I just saw Lone survivor, so I want to ask, what are tour favorite military movies and why.

1.Black Hawk Down: mainly for the amount of realism and lack of general cliches in the movie. It shows how terrible war is, and also Jeremy Piven. Also, it doesen't really cast any one actor as the lead.

2. The Guardian:
I never said it had to be a war movie! Anyway, it shows how dangerous the job of the US Coast Guard is. It also shows how hard the diver's training is.

3. Lone Survivor. Yeah, its new, but I thought it was good. It shows that not every afghan is evil.(something I know since I live near Dearborn, but people tend to forget). For the most part Marky Mark isn't a really important lead, so It was a lot less focused on him then I thought. Also, I feel it didnt make the US navy Seals look like Super heroes like how they are often portrayed to be.

Ever seen The Longest Day? Quite the classic.

2602685 "The Great Escape." There's almost no combat, but that doesn't mean it isn't exciting. A wonderful crew of very clever characters escape by being smarter than their captors. The claymation remake ("Chicken Run") is also fun.

It isn't actually military, but it's about a small unit holding their position against a much larger force, so I'm going to throw "The Magnificient Seven" in here as well.

Good Movies:
-The Longest Day
-A Bridge Too Far
-Stalingrad (1993)
-The Pacific
-Band of Brothers
-Generation Kill
-Unsere Mutter, Unsere Vater

Bad, overrated movies:
-Anything associated with the Bigelow woman
-Saving Private Ryan
-Stalingrad (2013)
-Every movie except Lone Survivor about DEVGRU and/or SEALs
-Jarhead

Movies where half of it is shit and half of it is amazing:
-Full Metal Jacket
-9 Rota

Comment posted by TheCrazyMan deleted Jan 14th, 2014

Movie: 9th Company (after the training bit, and pretending it's based on a fictional story), We Were Soldiers
Miniseries: The Pacific, Generation Kill

2602794 I suggest you add Apocalypse Now to one of those lists because it is in nk way a war movie, just a book adapted and retold using Vietnam.

Apocalypse Now?

Shitty and overrated.

2602828 also, thanks for mentioning Jarhead. I went to Highschool with a kid that was going into the marine corps amd would vouch that it was the very best war movie ever made....

Ive always been a fan of Defiance. And Kelley's Heroes counts too doesn't it?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9