Action Stories 650 members · 1,438 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

What I mean is what is the writing style that you prefer when creating a fight scene? Like do you like to create over the top final fantasy style, more realistic battle of survival, do you create an epic style battle similar to what you would see in The Iliad, or another style that i didn't mention? Provide an example and discuss it or respond to another person's post by analyzing and/or critiquing the fight scene and telling how they may improve upon it. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each different writing style and how you make it work.
(o'_')b Ready! d('_'o)
(o*_*)o Fight! o(^_^o)
(p'_')= o(-_'c)
(~'_')J KO! \(*x*\)
~('_')/\(*_*)/\('_')~
Winner! t(*n*t)

I usually go for an army to army battle, using strategies to out maneuver and such. I usually have larger scale battles and give each main character their own fight scenes within that large battle but I always make sure that they tie in with the larger battle at hand. I focus heavily on actual military strategies that I either make up or that were used by great commanders in the past (Napoleon). I try to make the individual fights as exciting as possible without making the outcome or events too ridiculous.

There is much more I do with a good battle, but I don't want to be writing here all night. I'm actually writing a large battle as we speak (expected 10,000 + words for the chapter) and three main characters and all three viewpoints have to be written, one at a time. Before the engagement for all three to include their emotions, why they are fighting on this field or ground, and positioning. During the engagement to include how they're fighting and who. And the aftermath and their psychological effects from the engagement.

Silver out!

usually strategic army style ala gaunts ghost and/or ott FF style

939355>>939374
Could you show me an example, I've never written in that style as my fics rarely feature guns but i think it would be good to get a feel for squad based tactics in some of my writing just in case

My stories thus far have always featured a gun-armed force against a spear armed force. When you have a gun-on-gun fight, it's more a game of intellect and cat-and-mouse, trading fire, seeking different cover, trying to outmaneuver your foe. Otherwise, it's just target practice downrange. From my earlier and worse story:

A tank’s gun flashed, deafening me for a second. I dropped the ammo crate next to the machine gunner, and raised my camera again. The scene in front of me was nothing but carnage. The squad had gotten here an hour ago. We’d been ordered to grab one of the emplaced M2’s and open up on any survivors the tanks left over for us. Of course, since my training had been…accelerated, I didn‘t know how to work an M2, so I just ran ammo back and forth.

The gun fired off another burst into a group of the things. Bloody chunks ripped out of them, their lifeless corpses staining the sand. Shells rained down from the gun, adding to the ever increasing pile on the ground. I signaled to the gunner, and he gave me a thumbs up as he reloaded the weapon. The things ate ammo like it was going out of style.

“Right side, ten degrees!” someone shouted, the gunner fixing his fire. I dropped the camera and raised my rifle to the spot pointed out. A huge lump of them congregated nearby a group of corpses. The biggest group I’d seen since their formation had scattered. I fired a few shots from my rifle as the M2 opened up. A tank shell landed in the group soon after our shots landed.

Brutal, quick and bloody, with plenty of gritty realism and detailed descriptions.

Melee - gritty and as realistic as possible. Dirty as hell fighting is used on all sides.

Ranged combat with firearms, lots of movement, taking cover, etc.

Either way, I prefer gritty and realistic.

939350 personally, I like melee combat between a few combatants. I often use modified wrestling moves.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9